IGNORED

Where is Mark Ashton?

David Brent

• Admin
36 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He's speaking to Radio Bristol soon. I would hope he's too busy dealing with contracts of incoming players to speak to the media.

He's on a hiding to nothing if he does whilst we're on bad form anyway.

That was pre recorded, NTTDS notified us of this interview last week 

2 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

I don't think we should knock Mark ashton. His job is to sort out the deals with the clubs and players  the scouts and manager have wanted for the club. And he has and is doing a good job.

On the whole I think most fans appreciate and would give him credit to him for tying up the deals in the summer. 

Most criticism stems from him being very prominent in the press when we were doing well and it now coming back to bite him given our poor form where he has since been comparitivly silent. I remember him saying how well he had done to get a decent fee for ayling for example...at the time leeds were in te bottom 6 and we were in the play offs...obviously that looks rather daft now.

On the whole I think he's done good job...

27 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

On the whole I think most fans appreciate and would give him credit to him for tying up the deals in the summer. 

Most criticism stems from him being very prominent in the press when we were doing well and it now coming back to bite him given our poor form where he has since been comparitivly silent. I remember him saying how well he had done to get a decent fee for ayling for example...at the time leeds were in te bottom 6 and we were in the play offs...obviously that looks rather daft now.

On the whole I think he's done good job...

True, but for me seeing two new signings in the door inside 5 days of the transfer window opening was hearing from him - the proof of his value, if you like.

People criticised him for being a smooth talker when he turned up, but the pair of signings we've brought in quick-smart when the team clearly needed them is (for me at least) proof that him and Des Taylor (who Ashton helped bring here) are obviously putting in the hours behind the scenes.

Reckon that is the best way to hear from him; seeing signings holding up a shirt.

12 hours ago, phantom said:

That was pre recorded, NTTDS notified us of this interview last week 

The interview will be live with Geoff Twentyman tomorrow at approx 1.15pm. It hasn't been pre-recorded, that was just the Beeb advertising the interview ahead of it taking place.

In the meantime, an extended chat with Mark Ashton will be broadcast on our website today.

Regards

Adam

9 hours ago, billywedlock said:

He's doing his job. It is not a media role he has, a business one. Don't think many clubs have more than the manager/coach talking to the media, apart from maybe an annual review etc. or on the business aspects of the game (TV deals etc) I far prefer him working behind the scenes and sorting out our scouting and recruiting network, that will for sure pay dividends in the years to come. IMHO his role is by far and away the most important, as it will set the basis (and basics) of how the club operates. Managers come and go, MA if successful,  will be far more more important than any of them. 

As I said, just an observation. Definitely not a criticism.

As far as I'm aware he has had something to say about all of our major signings and I'm interested to hear that.

Also, I think we're not like most clubs in that his relationship is a lot closer to the head coach.

Good interview.

Think the club do a lot of work that goes unnoticed/taken for granted. Clearly a lot of work goes on behind the scenes to get deals done. 

People can mock the 'business speak' but the reality is football is a business. Too many people think it's still the 60s. 

I feel we're in a much better place off the pitch with him around than not. 

20 minutes ago, Fiale said:

I really hope this helps wind a few peoples necks in and people can see what the club are trying to do. No one is happy with our current run of results (myself included) BUT we have to look at the bigger picture and listen to what people like Mark Ashton are saying. 

Just hang on in there :) 

14 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

I really hope this helps wind a few peoples necks in and people can see what the club are trying to do. No one is happy with our current run of results (myself included) BUT we have to look at the bigger picture and listen to what people like Mark Ashton are saying. 

Just hang on in there :) 

Nah let's just keep sacking people and having the odd month of success then moaning that we have no stability :facepalm:

Fair do's.

Broken cover, which is good to see, and remains tightly 'on message'.

Still not quite sure I understand why we didn't get an extra quality striker in early doors, when prices were 'low'. Maybe, the 'expecting more game time' bit refers to Gustav - who, I assume, at a couple of million was intended as more than just a 'punt'. If so, might have been reasonable to expect an explaination as to what's gone on. 

,We go again.... let's  make sure we only have do or die 'winners' on the pitch for this next stage of this roller coaster journey.

COYRs.

4 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Still not quite sure I understand why we didn't get an extra quality striker in early doors, when prices were 'low'. 

We still had Kodjia at that stage so we had 4 strikers when Engvall so didn't need to enter the market for another striker. No need for 5 first team strikers.

Fantastic Interview...very clear, honest and precise...no bullshit. I hope all the fans watch it, to UNDERSTAND.

I'd agree with what MA said re the playing side...injuries and illness to key players like Matthews, GoN and Smith for example have definitely not helped the cause.

As was the selling and timing of Kodijia.

The one thing that did surprise me though, was that the Club were expecting Elstrand to have played more of a role and been a starter ahead of Hordor.

Just as well that Magners has been our star player this season.

Another good interview to be fair to him. Lee/Des/Mark etc have obviously been working hard trying to find the right players to improve us and at a good price as well. It's nice to see we've acted quickly and going from what we've purchased so far this window..these will be good buys! 

Time for the fans to make some noise from the stands and make the Gate a fortress. The lads needs us! 

Archived