IGNORED

Where is Mark Ashton?

David Brent

15 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Fair do's.

Broken cover, which is good to see, and remains tightly 'on message'.

Still not quite sure I understand why we didn't get an extra quality striker in early doors, when prices were 'low'. Maybe, the 'expecting more game time' bit refers to Gustav - who, I assume, at a couple of million was intended as more than just a 'punt'. If so, might have been reasonable to expect an explaination as to what's gone on. 

,We go again.... let's  make sure we only have do or die 'winners' on the pitch for this next stage of this roller coaster journey.

COYRs.

He explained that mate...players were taken, or not available anymore by the time the Kodijia deal went through. Timing and circumstance...this is why transfer windows bugger up clubs...can't stand them.

28 minutes ago, hodge said:

We still had Kodjia at that stage so we had 4 strikers when Engvall so didn't need to enter the market for another striker. No need for 5 first team strikers.

Agreed, I'd add that had we gone and recruited a fifth striker "early doors" as @Moor2Sea asked then it screams to the market that we've got one to sell as well.  That would have then weakened our hand in any negotiation surrounding Kodjia.  I believe this is what Ashton means when he says that only once Kodjia was sold could we enter the market.

Good interview, interesting to hear that Ashton is "sure there will be more movement".  Good to here his insistence that age doesn't necessarily equate to experience.

Talks a lot of sense, no BS (obviously bit of Corporate speak).  He's doing his job pretty well I reckon.  Just need to turn it around on the pitch.

Hope our two new boys get clearance....would be good to see them v Fleetwood.

When Taylor Moore signed, it was on a Thursday and despite fibbing to me outside of the ground (Villa game) that his clearance hadn't come through, he took his place on the bench!

So lets hope Hegeler and Djuric's comes through.  They use a Real-Time Online system these days (no fax machines!!), so it just depends on the selling club not being lazy!!

35 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Agreed, I'd add that had we gone and recruited a fifth striker "early doors" as @Moor2Sea asked then it screams to the market that we've got one to sell as well.  That would have then weakened our hand in any negotiation surrounding Kodjia.  I believe this is what Ashton means when he says that only once Kodjia was sold could we enter the market.

Good interview, interesting to hear that Ashton is "sure there will be more movement".  Good to here his insistence that age doesn't necessarily equate to experience.

That's fair enough, probably benefitted on Kodjia fee by £3-4 million then.

However, when that leaves your strike force as an unproven loan player, a temperamental false 10, a veteran and an unknown foreign import, it was one hell of a gamble. Thankfully, one of those - Tammy - delivered. Close shave and relegation is still very much on the cards.

Hey, we believe though. So let's now wheel the true 'winners, fighters and battlers' out, build a team, adopt a style of play and show the rest of this division what we're about.

Onwards and upwards from now on. COYRs.

52 minutes ago, Damian666 said:

Mark had a little dig suggesting that before him and Lee were at the club, the transfer dealings didn't happen early doors, meaning the old management team were not as sharp and didn't have their fingers on the pulse when the transfer windows open 

He's not wrong!

2 hours ago, Damian666 said:

Mark had a little dig suggesting that before him and Lee were at the club, the transfer dealings didn't happen early doors, meaning the old management team were not as sharp and didn't have their fingers on the pulse when the transfer windows open 

I can't help but feel that Lansdown let the cat out the bag on Radio Bristol in an interview he did just before Christmas last season.

I remember him saying at the time that he hadn't seen a list of potential signings but 'expected one soon'. At the time it made me think of a kid playing Football Manager thinking 'ooh the window is open let's sign some players'. 

Excellent interview.  He inspires confidence with his clear analysis of where we are and where we are going.

Not many clubs enjoy such an asset

Beginning really to BELIEVE again

But we still have to deliver on the pitch

And I still don't fully understand why we have had this dramatic drop in form

Would like Lee to answer this for us

It is becoming clear that the role Mark Ashton performs is to become the constant going forward, regardless of who the manager/head coach might be. 

He is taking the pro-active move of approaching clubs for players who fit all of our requirements, regardless of their present status at their clubs, because things can change and in January, cash deals can be done for players who might leave for nothing in the Summer. It's good to be at the top of that contacts list before January 1st! Apparently, our interest in Bailey Wright preceded Lee johnson's tenure, so a result of his previous stint here?

I'd admit to the frustration and bluddy anger after Monday's game and Mr (fairweather) Ashton had not been heard from since more positive times, but fair play. He has fronted up on camera (although the questions may have been nicely rigged) and three new bodies through the door already.

Lets hope they do the business!

COYR

7 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

I really hope this helps wind a few peoples necks in and people can see what the club are trying to do. No one is happy with our current run of results (myself included) BUT we have to look at the bigger picture and listen to what people like Mark Ashton are saying. 

Just hang on in there :) 

But you just know that some people won't watch it because they would hate to be proved wrong.

Anyone else reckon MA heard tell or perhaps even logged into OTIB and saw all the 'Where is MA? Why isn't he speaking out?' questions and thought do you know what, I'll go on camera and shut the haters up.

Fair play to the lad. We all take the proverbial Michael out of him and his catchphrases but he's a good egg.

8 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Anyone else reckon MA heard tell or perhaps even logged into OTIB and saw all the 'Where is MA? Why isn't he speaking out?' questions and thought do you know what, I'll go on camera and shut the haters up.

Fair play to the lad. We all take the proverbial Michael out of him and his catchphrases but he's a good egg.

Adam Baker looks on here all the time so may well of mentioned the MA thread to his boss if MA hadn't seen it himself.

He may well of planned to do an interview a while back but today's does seem a little "coincidental".

That said he's confirmed what most of us already knew in terms of the work going on behind the scenes and reaffirmed the clubs longer strategy.

i might be a lone voice here but I didn't find the interview that interesting.

14 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

May have done, but the thread wasn't started by a hater.

Good interview, good questions too.

Interesting comments.

Appreciate I'm in the minority here. Superficially good answers but, as ever, with people like this look behind the froth to the substance. 

Football strategy (as is the wider BS one), undoubtedly is sound and to be welcomed. Hard bit, as always, is successful delivery. 

Set aside the striker 'gamble' commented on earlier. The Summer 'first team ready' purchases. We have Tomlin, Patterson, Matthews, GON, Elkstrand. Of that bunch Tomlin is misfiring and dropped, Patterson all but disappeared, Matthews bit part, GON disappeared and Elkstrand gone. Ok you have a bit of bad luck with injuries, form ... but all five! 

What's gone wrong? The much-vaunted DNA test and/or medicals? Scouting the wrong players? Mis-management? Combination of all?

Understand why they don't open up about behind the scenes issues... but the management team better be learning from mistakes otherwise we're doomed to slipping further and further away from our target. 

Frankly, if  I was SL watching all the Kodjia funds being ****** away, I'd be less than happy with performances on and off the field. 

Anyhow, remain positive we can and should turn this around with the resources at our disposal plus the addition of the feel-good new stadium factor. COYRs.

14 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Interesting comments.

Appreciate I'm in the minority here. Superficially good answers but, as ever, with people like this look behind the froth to the substance. 

Football strategy (as is the wider BS one), undoubtedly is sound and to be welcomed. Hard bit, as always, is successful delivery. 

Set aside the striker 'gamble' commented on earlier. The Summer 'first team ready' purchases. We have Tomlin, Patterson, Matthews, GON, Elkstrand. Of that bunch Tomlin is misfiring and dropped, Patterson all but disappeared, Matthews bit part, GON disappeared and Elkstrand gone. Ok you have a bit of bad luck with injuries, form ... but all five! 

What's gone wrong? The much-vaunted DNA test and/or medicals? Scouting the wrong players? Mis-management? Combination of all?

Understand why they don't open up about behind the scenes issues... but the management team better be learning from mistakes otherwise we're doomed to slipping further and further away from our target. 

Frankly, if  I was SL watching all the Kodjia funds being ****** away, I'd be less than happy with performances on and off the field. 

Anyhow, remain positive we can and should turn this around with the resources at our disposal plus the addition of the feel-good new stadium factor. COYRs.

You forgot Tammy.

He's been doing okay.

37 minutes ago, samo II said:

You forgot Tammy.

He's been doing okay.

I think he was originally 'one for the future', who became recategorised. See my earlier posting. Thank the lord that Tammy has proven a sound bit of business otherwise we'd be right in the shite. 

5 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

I think he was originally 'one for the future', who became recategorised. See my earlier posting. Thank the lord that Tammy has proven a sound bit of business otherwise we'd be right in the shite. 

Why would we view someone else's player here for a season as one for the future?

On 05/01/2017 at 20:21, Libertine1 said:

Just curious. I thought we would've heard from him on these 2 signings.

Not important, just an observation. Unless I've missed it.

He's not a club spokesman, we have a Communications Team to do that, I'm more than happy for him to just get on with his job and not be distracted by feeling obligated to talk to the outside world, when it isn't his role to do so...

12 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

I don't agree.

We only have him for a season; might have started more games than intended due to form and Kodjia leaving, but I highly doubt he'd be here if he wasn't intended to be in and around the first eleven ever week.

Realise several of the signings haven't made a huge impression yet, but thanks to these being youngsters, they still may.

O'Neil was first team when fit; Tomlin may not have dazzled, but has played most games, and only was 'dropped' last game; Magnusson has been (in my mind) relatively successful; Patterson is an enigma having started well then been shut out; Matthews has not been fit and inconsistent; Brownhill has been one of our our best players the last few matches; Engvall has played about 20 mins; Taylor Moore played nine games before joining us, so sure he's one for the future; O'Dowda hasn't broken through like expected, but has shown flashes.

Might not have knitted together like the League One winning team did, but not all failures.

11 minutes ago, samo II said:

I don't agree.

We only have him for a season; might have started more games than intended due to form and Kodjia leaving, but I highly doubt he'd be here if he wasn't intended to be in and around the first eleven ever week.

Realise several of the signings haven't made a huge impression yet, but thanks to these being youngsters, they still may.

O'Neil was first team when fit; Tomlin may not have dazzled, but has played most games, and only was 'dropped' last game; Magnusson has been (in my mind) relatively successful; Patterson is an enigma having started well then been shut out; Matthews has not been fit and inconsistent; Brownhill has been one of our our best players the last few matches; Engvall has played about 20 mins; Taylor Moore played nine games before joining us, so sure he's one for the future; O'Dowda hasn't broken through like expected, but has shown flashes.

Might not have knitted together like the League One winning team did, but not all failures.

Samo - indeed.  the problem is getting them to have good performances in the same match.

18 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He's not a club spokesman, we have a Communications Team to do that, I'm more than happy for him to just get on with his job and not be distracted by feeling obligated to talk to the outside world, when it isn't his role to do so...

I'm more than aware of that.

As I said, I like to hear his views on our transfer deals. Not a case of feeling obliged to do so. Seen the interview now so all good.

4 minutes ago, Libertine1 said:

I'm more than aware of that.

As I said, I like to hear his views on our transfer deals. Not a case of feeling obliged to do so. Seen the interview now so all good.

Apologies, didn't realise he'd done an interview....I was just more keen that he did his job rather than concentrate on media stuff...

Just watched it and don't want to appear negative but he completely avoided the question when the signing of Engvall was brought up, yet name checked every other player that was mentioned in it.

This then wasn't picked up in any sort of follow up question at all.

Otherwise it was a lot of smart "industry speak" and clearly after a week when we've brought in 3 new players things appear to be rosier (off the pitch) anyway..

Archived