IGNORED

Joe Bryan

Cov 77

Plenty of people I spoke to today asked the question ' what's up with Joe Bryan ?' He is never a left back but today was very poor as a wing back , I have always been a fan and defended him but has been looking off the boil for a large part of this season , he looked slow and disinterested today , I am sure this is not so but even looked like he was carrying a few extra pounds ?

Johnson is obviously a big fan and looks to play him front of other players regardless of effectiveness , Scott Golbourne is being sidelined and possibly moved out , we've already lost Greg Cunningham for similar reasons and he's not doing so bad is he ?

Goldbourne is a solid player and there are times that's what's needed but Joe is picked in front many times, to be honest his display in midfield against Reading was one of his best of the season , and with our sideway midfield players he is a great option there. 

Not sure if Johnson the tinkerman is getting to him along with other players , god knows he would be driving me mad if I played for him, but I really hope he finds his mojo soon for all our sakes.

TBH I was surprised not to see Bryan in the midfield having impressed there last week along with Brownhill.

i can only guess that LJ wanted to give all three new signing their debut and had to accommodate them somewhere.

It'll be interesting to see if all three start against Cardiff.

10 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

Plenty of people I spoke to today asked the question ' what's up with Joe Bryan ?' He is never a left back but today was very poor as a wing back , I have always been a fan and defended him but has been looking off the boil for a large part of this season , he looked slow and disinterested today , I am sure this is not so but even looked like he was carrying a few extra pounds ?

Johnson is obviously a big fan and looks to play him front of other players regardless of effectiveness , Scott Golbourne is being sidelined and possibly moved out , we've already lost Greg Cunningham for similar reasons and he's not doing so bad is he ?

Goldbourne is a solid player and there are times that's what's needed but Joe is picked in front many times, to be honest his display in midfield against Reading was one of his best of the season , and with our sideway midfield players he is a great option there. 

Not sure if Johnson the tinkerman is getting to him along with other players , god knows he would be driving me mad if I played for him, but I really hope he finds his mojo soon for all our sakes.

Lots of players we've let go over the years...hit a bad run and they was the best since sliced bread....saying that he would walk into our side would Greg

I thought he and Brownhill complemented each other very well vs Reading. Would be intrigued to see us play a narrow diamond (if we're not going to use wingers any time soon) that looks like this..

Tomlin

Bryan - Brownhill

Hegeler

In that formation, Hegeler can dictate the tempo and sit in front of the back 4 allowing Brownhill and Bryan to do the legwork in midfield. Tomlin would then be able to focus on what he's good at and create changes high up the pitch without dropping back so often. 

How is the guy supposed to build up any sort of momentum when he is continually moved into different postions and into different formations.  He is the go to player when we have a problem filling a position.  I feel sorry for the bloke.

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I thought he and Brownhill complemented each other very well vs Reading. Would be intrigued to see us play a narrow diamond (if we're not going to use wingers any time soon) that looks like this..

Tomlin

Bryan - Brownhill

Hegeler

In that formation, Hegeler can dictate the tempo and sit in front of the back 4 allowing Brownhill and Bryan to do the legwork in midfield. Tomlin would then be able to focus on what he's good at and create changes high up the pitch without dropping back so often. 

Today's game are problem was we were far to narrow no width at all. The whole game was through the middle, far too congested. Not sure the diamond formation in midfield would help us ? I'm also not convinced that joe Bryan is a centre midfielder. For me he is a out of form left sides midfielder who is being asked to play to many positions. He was also part of a team/ midfield against reading that let a 2-0 lead slip in a pretty bad way.

Where it is benefits a manger to have players who play many positions it certainly isn't helping joe Bryan out at the minute. 

23 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Today's game are problem was we were far to narrow no width at all. The whole game was through the middle, far too congested. Not sure the diamond formation in midfield would help us ? I'm also not convinced that joe Bryan is a centre midfielder. For me he is a out of form left sides midfielder who is being asked to play to many positions. He was also part of a team/ midfield against reading that let a 2-0 lead slip in a pretty bad way.

Where it is benefits a manger to have players who play many positions it certainly isn't helping joe Bryan out at the minute. 

If you read what I wrote I say "if we're not going to use wingers any time soon" because I don't think we have the personnel to play them. I'd always prefer City to play as wide as possible and run at the opposition as I think it's exciting football.

I think if he insists on playing narrower, which he appears to like doing, that would be an interesting combination to try out. There's left/right balance and both players are athletic and tenacious defensively and offensively. It leaves the more experienced Hegeler and Tomlin to play to their strengths as Bryan and Brownhill work in tandem as box-to-box players.

I think Bryan could play that position very well. He would need a solid run of games in a settled lineup though.

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Don't think it helps , having to check the wipe board before he goes out for each game , and at half time to check what position he's playing and who is to his left , right , ahead of him and behind him !

IMHO

This. I'd be surprised if he wasn't looking to leave. Get a bit of stability which he won't here. 

3 hours ago, Londoner said:

I wasnt at the reading game but apparently very good in centre midfield.

Has def had his best games in centre mid. Especially Forrest and Fulham away last season. Him and Reid in the centre work well together. Which leaves Tomlin on the wing, thats ok with me if hes getting space to run. 

7 hours ago, Spoons said:

we were far to narrow no width at all. The whole game was through the middle, far too congested

In other news the Titanic has hit an iceberg, man has discovered fire, and the sky is blue.

This has been going on LITERALLY all season. It's the LJ way to win. Watch how Fleetwood, whenever they got the ball, got a player wide, spread the pitch, and then drilled the ball into the middle for someone to take advantage of the space to get onto and finish. No coincidence they had the clearer chances.

It doesn't matter how many new players we sign, how many different line ups we play, the instructions always seem to be the same - pass through the middle. Unfortunately the middle, by definition, is congested which is why we always get to the edge of the box and give up and have a speculative pot-shot.

We're like a crap Arsenal - obsessed by playing our way in on goal through the middle, but without the conviction or ability in the final third to see it through, so we just get two minutes of possession for a 20 yard shot. Our best move (Djuric > Little > Tammy) Tammy should have returned the 1-2 to Little to shoot.  

14 minutes ago, Super said:

He is not a left back is only there because of how bad golbourne is.

Back four -

Scott  Bailey Flint  Magnuson.

Play them together continuously so they get used to each other.

Joe should be playing left mid and encouraged to go past their full backs and deliver to Tammy and Carroll up top

33 minutes ago, Super said:

He is not a left back is only there because of how bad golbourne is.

I must be watching different games then.

Every time SG plays he is decent, 6 or 7/10, he does all of the basics well and although attacking isn't his biggest strength (probably why he is a defender) he has been no inferior to Joe.

However as soon as the head coach has other options he leaves him out, or bizarrely on at least 2 occasions at home recently he has been playing well yet is always the one who is taken off.

If we want to start picking up points selecting our best 4 defenders would help, for me SG is one of those four.

23 minutes ago, Between heaven and hell said:

Back four -

Joe should be playing left mid and encouraged to go past their full backs and deliver to Tammy and Carroll up top

Isn't Maggers left footed?

Rarely can full backs be successful on Thier wrong foot.

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Every time SG plays he is decent, 6 or 7/10, he does all of the basics well and although attacking isn't his biggest strength (probably why he is a defender) he has been no inferior to Joe.

However as soon as the head coach has other options he leaves him out, or bizarrely on at least 2 occasions at home recently he has been playing well yet is always the one who is taken off.

If we want to start picking up points selecting our best 4 defenders would help, for me SG is one of those four.

Agree completely. Also it doesn't help that he's picked for a couple of games then back on the bench for a couple.  

As for Joe...he seems to play like he belongs in the premiership some weeks but other weeks he plays like the championship is a level too high for him. 

Not sure why this is but it's very annoying ! The way he played against Brentford and preston recently was poor but then the reading game showed his ability

24 minutes ago, Between heaven and hell said:

Back four -

Isn't Maggers left footed?

Rarely can full backs be successful on Thier wrong foot.

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

But no width for two very tall strikers. Been saying it all season, we have a squad of players that all like to go through the middle, cutting inside rather than going on the outside. But we had 2 strikers that doesn't suit and now have another in Djuric. 

Again, it's a prediction of what LJ might do considering he clearly doesn't use width rather than what I would like to see. I'm well aware of the issues with how narrow we play. It's my preferred formation and personnel if he insists on playing narrowly.

11 hours ago, Cov 77 said:

Glad you said it and thought also was struggling for pace and looking like he has gained weight.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

In other news the Titanic has hit an iceberg, man has discovered fire, and the sky is blue.

This has been going on LITERALLY all season. It's the LJ way to win. Watch how Fleetwood, whenever they got the ball, got a player wide, spread the pitch, and then drilled the ball into the middle for someone to take advantage of the space to get onto and finish. No coincidence they had the clearer chances.

It doesn't matter how many new players we sign, how many different line ups we play, the instructions always seem to be the same - pass through the middle. Unfortunately the middle, by definition, is congested which is why we always get to the edge of the box and give up and have a speculative pot-shot.

We're like a crap Arsenal - obsessed by playing our way in on goal through the middle, but without the conviction or ability in the final third to see it through, so we just get two minutes of possession for a 20 yard shot. Our best move (Djuric > Little > Tammy) Tammy should have returned the 1-2 to Little to shoot.  

Interesting that you view it that way @Olé and to a degree you are correct. We do try to play through the middle.

However...people saying we had no width yesterday is completely wrong.

It's the widest we've ever played. Both Bryan and Little were stuck to their respective touchlines.

It was the lack of movement by these players that was the problem.

The reason they are both playing wide...regardless of where the ball was, is because they are drawing out their respective Full backs who are marking them, to create space through the middle.

When on the offensive...we often had Bryan, Duric, Tammy and Little in a complete static line...just stood still waiting for a pass to them.

Hegeler and Brownhill tried to get the ball moving fast...however, both Tomlin and Smith slowed down play when they received the ball.

Tomlin for all his qualities, doesn't help when he takes too much time on the ball....the same for Freeman when he plays.

All it does, is allow the opposition to get organised and back behind the ball.

When we are mobile and moving and playing fast 'one touch' football we are at our best. That's when we penetrate...and that's what LJ wants us to do.

We had a period of play yesterday when we did exactly this...and it always came from when Hegeler was involved. He passed the ball, but then moved either into a position to receive the ball, or take his marker away from the play to create space for someone else.

Our problems, stem from some of the players lack of movement off the ball, lack of mobility and awareness, and downright stupidity.

Watch Little and Bryan. They receive a ball, pass....then either stand still, or run into an area that you can't pass too because the route is blocked by defenders.

Bryan's positional awareness is bloody awful. He passes, then actually moves behind his marker. He doesn't run into space to make the angle to receive the ball again.

The reason he looks better in the middle, is because he has more space around him and not restricted by the touchline.

Little does the same...never creates an angle and stands still. If someone does decide to pass to him, it usually means he has a man on him already, who he'll try to turn and 'barge' past...head down bull in a china shop.

The only players who looked mobile and effective in the middle yesterday, were Hegeler and Brownhill.

Although we had 'Wing backs' yesterday...they didn't actually play like Wing backs. They were so ineffective.

When reading the match report...it mentioned 'Tomlin enjoying plenty of the ball'...indeed he did...too bloody long. Pass and go...not pass and hang on to it and go round in circles trying to shift your marker. Shows off his skills nicely...but all it does is lets the opposition re shape and get men behind the ball...all back in position. We play our best when he keeps the ball MOVING with a clever pass through his good vision.

Hopefully if my hunch is correct, Svensson will be signed up, and from what he looks like, he's very mobile.

Wright also looked very solid yesterday on the left of defence.

Maybe this could work better....as imo, it would have more mobility and movement and positional awareness.

-------------------------------------------------GK------------------------------------------------------

Svensson-----------------Flint------------------------Magners---------------------------Wright

---------------------------------------------Hegeler---------------------------------------------------

--------Odowda---------------------------------------------------------Brownhill-------------------

---------------------------------------------Tomlin-----------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------Tammy----------------Duric-------------------------------------------

41 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

SG is massively comfortable at Championship level and rarely has a stinker agreed on 6/7 most weeks. 

Think he will move on in the summer which will be a shame. Four at the back and he's my left back. 

Archived