IGNORED

I know the flack always ends up with the manager...

EmersonsRed

Which I am fine with, but these players are ******* embarrassing. Clearly, by pictures of training etc the dressing room has not been lost by LJ so it is purely down to the fact they have absolutely no bottle that we constantly concede lead after lead. Absolutely no leaders. Human donkey Aden Flint at the back. No real leader in midfield. 

I've never been this angry at a team in my life. The mental weakness is utterly embarrassing. You're paid thousands of ******* pounds per week, go and see a sports psychologist or something because there are thousands of City fans who will need a normal physiologist after watching the last 10 minutes of a City game every weekend.

Pathetic.

It's a cozy club that attracts players who like an easy life with little pressure and where failure is shrugged off as no big deal. Remember SOD's 'meh' response to relegation? Much the same 'we lost again, whatever ' attitude still seems to prevail now.

Players have to take a large portion of blame today. Pathetic and soft performance from most of them. Bamba got away with numerous pushes in the back of our players. Some called some not. Ours just let them receive the ball with no pressure. Only a few came away with my respect today. Too many not closing down 50/50 balls and not jumping to challenge a player aerially. 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

Players have to take a large portion of blame today. Pathetic and soft performance from most of them. Bamba got away with numerous pushes in the back of our players. Some called some not. Ours just let them receive the ball with no pressure. Only a few came away with my respect today. Too many not closing down 50/50 balls and not jumping to challenge a player aerially. 

Players played well but subs were ****ing pointless

7 minutes ago, chinapig said:

It's a cozy club that attracts players who like an easy life with little pressure and where failure is shrugged off as no big deal. Remember SOD's 'meh' response to relegation? Much the same 'we lost again, whatever ' attitude still seems to prevail now.

Spot on,cozy is the word. Lee Johnson wouldn't of had a hope in hell of getting the city job with his past managerial record if he hadn't played for city,something has to change 

28 minutes ago, chinapig said:

If I recall correctly, SOD was really pissed off when the club played "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" after relegation, and ranted about how it showed what was wrong with the club.  Whether your general point is correct is another issue, but clearly SOD did not agree with that.

21 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Spot on,cozy is the word. Lee Johnson wouldn't of had a hope in hell of getting the city job with his past managerial record if he hadn't played for city,something has to change 

Exactly Joe, no other Championship club would have employed him. What had/has he done as a manager to be given the City job. Ive wanted him to do well because he's our manager, but I've never understood the decision to appoint him.

32 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Sick of saying it, we are a soft touch, and it starts at the very top, as said too cozy... get a proper man in that knows a bit about football.

35 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

Which I am fine with, but these players are ******* embarrassing. Clearly, by pictures of training etc the dressing room has not been lost by LJ so it is purely down to the fact they have absolutely no bottle that we constantly concede lead after lead. Absolutely no leaders. Human donkey Aden Flint at the back. No real leader in midfield. 

I've never been this angry at a team in my life. The mental weakness is utterly embarrassing. You're paid thousands of ******* pounds per week, go and see a sports psychologist or something because there are thousands of City fans who will need a normal physiologist after watching the last 10 minutes of a City game every weekend.

Pathetic.

35 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

Pathetic.

Totally agree...we are too nice, too soft. Not one of our players got in their face today. Again we let in crosses...wtf were Little and Brownhill doing...how much space, how much time allowed to the opposition? Cardiff played dirty and won...we played like 'good little boys'. Same mistakes by the same players. So angry. Some of these players are so tactically naive. Little and Bryan will get applauded for effort and a cracking goal today...but both so poor at defending a cross coming in...we need more quality players...as some of these are just not good enough .

30 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

How did he get this job?  Embarrassing does not do it justice - after 40 odd years of watching City without massive expectations that today is me finished.   Before people say what about 82 blah blah at least we had some fight - we are now spineless and that is from top to bottom..  where do we go from here keep on happy clapping or get a quality Manager/Head Coach in?  He is undefendable  (like the team) at the moment...

24 minutes ago, spudski said:

Totally agree...we are too nice, too soft. Not one of our players got in their face today. Again we let in crosses...wtf were Little and Brownhill doing...how much space, how much time allowed to the opposition? Cardiff played dirty and won...we played like 'good little boys'. Same mistakes by the same players. So angry. Some of these players are so tactically naive. Little and Bryan will get applauded for effort and a cracking goal today...but both so poor at defending a cross coming in...we need more quality players...as some of these are just not good enough .

There's a surprise, "some of these players are so tactically naive", perhaps its being coached by someone who has taken naivety to a new level.

I have to say that (apart from the dig at Flint) I agree with the opening post.

I'm not for a second arguing with anybody who believes he should be sacked or defending this shameful run. Managers who have achieved a lot more in the game and/or have experience of turning such runs of form around wouldn't last this, let alone someone which we have taken a gamble on appointing. As far as I'm concerned there is absolutely no way he is turning this around and it's just whether he gets sacked this week, next week or the week after. 'The board'/Steve Lansdown/Mark Ashton will surely all be aware how utterly inept they look when he does get sacked so I fully expect they will wait until the last defender of Johnson has waned and/or the Ashton Gate crowd properly turn.

However, while he will obviously be the focus for the majority of the blame tonight I do actually agree that today's game in isolation he isn't anywhere near first in the queue in the people I hold responsible for that embarrassing capitulation. The players should be utterly ashamed of themselves. Pathetic bottle jobs. No heart, no spirit, no character. It's difficult to know how much impact a guy stood on the touchline can have when a group of so called professionals are unable to even get close to seeing that out. As for the guy in goal, strike it relatively cleanly and it's in. What is he even stood there for?

Again, I'm not some Johnson apologist that is looking to shift the blame from him and the bottom line for me is that will not turn this around and he will be sacked sooner or later. I'm fully aware of what people may be thinking reading my post as I have thought the exact same in the past when people have made similar comments about blaming the players rather than the under pressure manager. I never really buy into the 'what can he do stood on the touchline, it's the players that are out there' as essentially he is paid rather handsomely to have an effect. If he doesn't feel he is capable of having one then he should resign. Just today's game in isolation I feel the players have lost that for us much more so than the manager. Without getting into a debate about the team he picked and how we played against Reading (personally I feel the team selection was a joke and watching us play like that at home to Reading, however good they may be, is embarrassing) you could also be fully entitled to argue that his team playing in that way had us 2-0 up against a team miles better than we are. Once again the gutless players and non existent goalkeeper chuck it away.

Of course part of his job is instilling the qualities in a team to make sure they do see out that game, but leaving that ground I was ashamed of those players more so than worrying about when the manager will be sacked. Coincidentally I guess the very things that for a while made his father's team here so special is what at the moment we are completely and utterly lacking in. In this run in general and the reasons why ultimately he will be sacked there are of course many, many factors, but the main reason why we have failed to even get a point in the last two home games are actually not even down to how poor we are at football. More so heart, bottle and character.

1 hour ago, Tom Fleuriot said:

If I recall correctly, SOD was really pissed off when the club played "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" after relegation, and ranted about how it showed what was wrong with the club.  Whether your general point is correct is another issue, but clearly SOD did not agree with that.

He very much spun it as an opportunity to rebuild and was in my eyes intensely relaxed about it. He was as much in denial as we were heading for Lge 2- claiming to not look at the table and such.

Like LJ he could talk impressively but appeared to have no idea how to turn things around other than to assert that it would just happen.

2 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

Pathetic.

Completely agree. Series questions need to be asked of the players.  Utter *****.

12 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

I'm not for a second arguing with anybody who believes he should be sacked or defending this shameful run. Managers who have achieved a lot more in the game and/or have experience of turning such runs of form around wouldn't last this, let alone someone which we have taken a gamble on appointing. As far as I'm concerned there is absolutely no way he is turning this around and it's just whether he gets sacked this week, next week or the week after. 'The board'/Steve Lansdown/Mark Ashton will surely all be aware how utterly inept they look when he does get sacked so I fully expect they will wait until the last defender of Johnson has waned and/or the Ashton Gate crowd properly turn.

However, while he will obviously be the focus for the majority of the blame tonight I do actually agree that today's game in isolation he isn't anywhere near first in the queue in the people I hold responsible for that embarrassing capitulation. The players should be utterly ashamed of themselves. Pathetic bottle jobs. No heart, no spirit, no character. It's difficult to know how much impact a guy stood on the touchline can have when a group of so called professionals are unable to even get close to seeing that out. As for the guy in goal, strike it relatively cleanly and it's in. What is he even stood there for?

Again, I'm not some Johnson apologist that is looking to shift the blame from him and the bottom line for me is that will not turn this around and he will be sacked sooner or later. I'm fully aware of what people may be thinking reading my post as I have thought the exact same in the past when people have made similar comments about blaming the players rather than the under pressure manager. I never really buy into the 'what can he do stood on the touchline, it's the players that are out there' as essentially he is paid rather handsomely to have an effect. If he doesn't feel he is capable of having one then he should resign. Just today's game in isolation I feel the players have lost that for us much more so than the manager. Without getting into a debate about the team he picked and how we played against Reading (personally I feel the team selection was a joke and watching us play like that at home to Reading, however good they may be, is embarrassing) you could also be fully entitled to argue that his team playing in that way had us 2-0 up against a team miles better than we are. Once again the gutless players and non existent goalkeeper chuck it away.

Of course part of his job is instilling the qualities in a team to make sure they do see out that game, but leaving that ground I was ashamed of those players more so than worrying about when the manager will be sacked. Coincidentally I guess the very things that for a while made his father's team here so special is what at the moment we are completely and utterly lacking in. In this run in general and the reasons why ultimately he will be sacked there are of course many, many factors, but the main reason why we have failed to even get a point in the last two home games are actually not even down to how poor we are at football. More so heart, bottle and character.

Well argued. Unfortunately we have long attracted players who like the easy life here. Equally unfortunately you cannot just sack players so the manager gets sacked and the players carry on as before. Any manager who confronts such players will find them going to SL to complain and some fans will brand him a bully. And so it will continue ad infinitum.

The players must accept a share of the blame, but how many players has Johnson signed since he took over? Players reflect the style of the manager. Neil Warnock (City fans most hated manager) wouldn't sign or play soft players. 

35 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Whilst I agree with many points, I can't agree totally with your last sentence.

For example Little is all heart, bottle and character...but he's a shite footballer at this level. He can't defend, he can't challenge properly, he can't cross and he scuffs nearly everything he kicks. He's not a footballer. He's technically poor. His understanding of positioning is also awful. Two goals today were his fault...the penalty...no need, and allowing the cross to come in...again.

Him and Brownhill totally switched off today for their winner...what were they doing? It's just not good enough at this level...it costs you games. That was a footballing error...just not thinking or doing the right things. We desperately need more players of quality.

Yes we needed more heart and passion and physicality from some of the players today, but some of them are not good enough FOOTBALLERS at this level.

I look at Magners, Wright, Hegeler, Tomlin, Tammy, Duric....that is the basic standard of player you need at this level to succeed...the rest of our squad, are just that...squad players.

I think Warnock is right....and we do have some good players...however I think LJ got it wrong today.

I know injuries have hampered his selections and some players have been off form.

Matthew's, GoN, Smith...all players who would have improved today's team, if not injured and playing at the top of their game.

But they aren't....and they haven't been for the whole season.

Little just isn't good enough...yes he's honest and tries his heart out...but his defending and crossing is woeful. Good last week...awful this.

Bryan is the same...however...after his goal, he actually started to improve. What does that say? He's been totally ineffective most of the season.

I see a team that is organised and plays to it's shape, but it's as if the players are concentrating too much on that, and actually forgetting to play football.

They remember where to go, how to keep shape, but forget to actually get a foot in, challenge or move. They just stand there...standing off the opponent, like a Basketball player does. They give way too much room and respect to the opposition and just stand off them and let them play...whether it's allowing crosses to come in, or backing off just outside the 18 yard box.

You still have to get your foot in and hustle...get physical, pass then move...not pass then stand still. **** knows what we are doing at set pieces...no one moves. Our corners are pathetic. A joke. We've become a team that is concentrating on keeping shape and being organised, but has forgot the fundamentals of playing football. It's not about standing in a position that you are told to do...it's that...and PLAY FOOTBALL...not just stand there 'hustling'.

We desperately need some more quality players.

I understand the new Keeper from Germany is a done deal...hopefully he's better than what we've got.

We are desperate for a RB.

Imo we need this just to survive...

...........................................................................A new Keeper...............................................................................

Better RB--------------------------Flint/Wright-------------------------------Magners/Wright-----------------Magners/Better LB

--------------------------------------------------------------Hegeler/Pack--------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------Reid/Freemans Replacement-----------------------------Brownhill/Bryan/O'dowda-----------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------Tomlin/Patterson------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------Tammy/ His replacement-------------------Duric-------------------------------------------------------

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Go on then Spud

If we are blaming quality of players who is and who isn't good enough in your opinion ????

(IMHO the quality is far above what's on show at the moment - it's a lack of respect & belief in LJ that's causing the problems (Self inflicted IMHO) )

(The players p me off too as whether they like or rate the manager they should still be performing way above what they are)

edit

Dont worry if you don't want to repeat - you cover some in above post !

Think a far better Coach / manager would get a different tune from these players Spud 

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Go on then Spud

If we are blaming quality of players who is and who isn't good enough in your opinion ????

(IMHO the quality is far above what's on show at the moment - it's a lack of respect & belief in LJ that's causing the problems (Self inflicted IMHO) )

(The players p me off too as whether they like or rate the manager they should still be performing way above what they are)

I've stated in the above post as to who I think are good enough for the starting 11 mate. :thumbsup: The rest as I stated are just squad players.

The only players I think that are technically good enough to be in the starting 11 on a week to week basis are... Wright, Magners, Hegeler, Tomlin, Duric and Tammy.

We need that level of footballer in the rest of the 'STARTING' 11 or first choice...Imo...a better GK, RB,LB RM,LM is needed.

The one's I haven't mentioned in our squad, I believe are all 'Squad' players at this level. GoN and Matthews at their best would have made it in...but both are sick notes and heart not in it imo.

1 hour ago, bearded_red said:

Well argued. Unfortunately we have long attracted players who like the easy life here. Equally unfortunately you cannot just sack players so the manager gets sacked and the players carry on as before. Any manager who confronts such players will find them going to SL to complain and some fans will brand him a bully. And so it will continue ad infinitum.

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

I've stated in the above post as to who I think are good enough for the starting 11 mate. :thumbsup: The rest as I stated are just squad players.

The only players I think that are technically good enough to be in the starting 11 on a week to week basis are... Wright, Magners, Hegeler, Tomlin, Duric and Tammy.

We need that level of footballer in the rest of the 'STARTING' 11 or first choice...Imo...a better GK, RB,LB RM,LM is needed.

The one's I haven't mentioned in our squad, I believe are all 'Squad' players at this level. GoN and Matthews at their best would have made it in...but both are sick notes and heart not in it imo.

So are you saying not one of SCs romping promotion squad / team weren't  / is not good enough for the Championship ?

Sorry Spud - (not often I wholly disagree with you ) not having that

That would  then suggest SC (And me and you agree about his downsides ) was actually a miracle worker !!!!!

Barnsley , Preston etc etc seemed to have coped with what were regarded as vastly inferior squads

:thumbsup:

Primary problem for me = LJ

I genuinely think me, you or virtually any poster on here who has any footballing background (Credibility with players aside)could set up a side to perfor' better and get a better tune from them 

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

So are you saying not one of SCs romping promotion squad / team is not good enough for the Championship

Sorry Spud - (not often I wholly disagree with you ) not having that

That would  then suggest SC (And me and you agree about his downsides ) was actually a miracle worker !!!!!

Barnsley , Preston etc etc seemed to have coped with what were regarded as vastly inferior squads

Primary problem for me = LJ

but lj done really well at oldham and barnsley , oh hang on

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

Whilst I agree with many points, I can't agree totally with your last sentence.

For example Little is all heart, bottle and character...but he's a shite footballer at this level. He can't defend, he can't challenge properly, he can't cross and he scuffs nearly everything he kicks. He's not a footballer. He's technically poor. His understanding of positioning is also awful. Two goals today were his fault...the penalty...no need, and allowing the cross to come in...again.

Him and Brownhill totally switched off today for their winner...what were they doing? It's just not good enough at this level...it costs you games. That was a footballing error...just not thinking or doing the right things. We desperately need more players of quality.

Yes we needed more heart and passion and physicality from some of the players today, but some of them are not good enough FOOTBALLERS at this level.

I look at Magners, Wright, Hegeler, Tomlin, Tammy, Duric....that is the basic standard of player you need at this level to succeed...the rest of our squad, are just that...squad players.

I think Warnock is right....and we do have some good players...however I think LJ got it wrong today.

I know injuries have hampered his selections and some players have been off form.

Matthew's, GoN, Smith...all players who would have improved today's team, if not injured and playing at the top of their game.

But they aren't....and they haven't been for the whole season.

Little just isn't good enough...yes he's honest and tries his heart out...but his defending and crossing is woeful. Good last week...awful this.

Bryan is the same...however...after his goal, he actually started to improve. What does that say? He's been totally ineffective most of the season.

I see a team that is organised and plays to it's shape, but it's as if the players are concentrating too much on that, and actually forgetting to play football.

They remember where to go, how to keep shape, but forget to actually get a foot in, challenge or move. They just stand there...standing off the opponent, like a Basketball player does. They give way too much room and respect to the opposition and just stand off them and let them play...whether it's allowing crosses to come in, or backing off just outside the 18 yard box.

You still have to get your foot in and hustle...get physical, pass then move...not pass then stand still. **** knows what we are doing at set pieces...no one moves. Our corners are pathetic. A joke. We've become a team that is concentrating on keeping shape and being organised, but has forgot the fundamentals of playing football. It's not about standing in a position that you are told to do...it's that...and PLAY FOOTBALL...not just stand there 'hustling'.

We desperately need some more quality players.

I understand the new Keeper from Germany is a done deal...hopefully he's better than what we've got.

We are desperate for a RB.

Imo we need this just to survive...

...........................................................................A new Keeper...............................................................................

Better RB--------------------------Flint/Wright-------------------------------Magners/Wright-----------------Magners/Better LB

--------------------------------------------------------------Hegeler/Pack--------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------Reid/Freemans Replacement-----------------------------Brownhill/Bryan/O'dowda-----------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------Tomlin/Patterson------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------Tammy/ His replacement-------------------Duric-------------------------------------------------------

Spud i ,as will many agree that Little isn't good enough at this level and allowing that much time for the ball to come in , not closing down is criminal as was conceding the header for the second goal. Yes we do have players that ain't good enough. I have to say though that your second point is surely less to do with the players and down to the coaching . Yes we have a decent shape and a lack of movement does suggest a lack of football intelligence. We are however on the training pitch four days a week , so what the **** are they being coached ?

I have been fully behind LJ but i have to admit i'm a the end of my tether to be honest. One simple thing  and i only played park football so am by no means a football intellect myself, why have we bought a player like Hegeler , with so much quality technically and mentally being wasted at the back . He can run our midfield if given a chance, can you answer that one.   

Interesting comments on this thread.

Something must be right as this team went 2-0 v Reading and twice took the lead v Cardiff today. Did the Manager then change tactics completely to alter the way the game was going, or as has been suggested, do the players either lack bottle, or worse still, commitment?

Understandably there are calls for LJ to go. Who would replace him and how many transfer windows will the new incumbent want to mould "his" team?

Archived