IGNORED

Yes, we can....

glastonred

5 minutes ago, pillred said:

go on then how much longer?

That's the million dollar question, how long is a piece of string?

It's a question I can answer honestly at the moment, I just hope we can get a morale boosting result tomorrow and take that into the Forest game on the weekend and end the losing streak there.

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

This forum is definitely not representative of the wider fan base. And generally speaking forums don't tend to be. 

There are a great number of people who ONLY use this forum to complain, only to disappear into the ether during a good spell. 

Its like with review websites - can be a dangerous assumption to rely on them because most people are considerably more inclined to register their dissatisfaction than their satisfaction. 

If 80% of the fan base wanted him gone then the atmosphere would be severely different at games. 

Fair point @BRISTOL86. But even allowing for the distortion you point out, when the majority is as high as 79% I still think you can reasonably assume that the majority of the fanbase want him gone.

6 minutes ago, Neo said:

Yes was a sad day - to see somebody you genuinely admire a broken man was hard. I too was on CATs.

Bit like seeing Gazza now !! :sad26:

One of the moments at football that's stayed with me since, winning at Anfield, winning at Twerton, winning at Filbert St in the FA Cup are the highs.

Tinnion on that day and GJ being sacked are the two lows that have stayed with me, not the the various relegations & play off defeats. 

24 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It's a statistically significant sample size and 79% is an overwhelming majority that makes it very unlikely that the broader view of the fanbase is much different. Sorry to break it to you.

A Twitter poll was done by someone on Sunday morning.

Total votes: 1164 (3.36x the poll you refer to)

Outcome: 58% sack, 42% keep.

Huge difference in result. 

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Fair point @BRISTOL86. But even allowing for the distortion you point out, when the majority is as high as 79% I still think you can reasonably assume that the majority of the fanbase want him gone.

Do you really think so? I wasn't at the Cardiff game as I'm on hols (and I imagine that was the worst in terms of reaction) but any boos I've heard have shortly been replaced with polite clapping and are clearly borne out of pure frustration at being so close but yet so far once again.

He's also still been strongly applauded before games.

Certainly doesn't feel to me like any kind of majority want him out. 

2 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

A Twitter poll was done by someone on Sunday morning.

Total votes: 1164 (3.36x the poll you refer to)

Outcome: 58% sack, 42% keep.

Huge difference in result. 

Fair enough - but ultimately still a vote that again suggests the majority want him gone (remember I was originally arguing against the suggestion that the majority back him to turn it around).

1 hour ago, glastonred said:

I know in the past few weeks the results haven't gone our way; and I know we've slipped down the table from 5th to 19th, but I'm still not pessimistic about our future. I have great faith in Lee Johnson turning things around. I am sick of the fickleness of fans, who whenever there is a poor period start baying for blood and demanding a change of manager. I would far rather stick with someone who has had a long association with City, and clearly loves this club, rather than a journeyman with no connection, who couldn't care less. I believe in giving managers a long period of time to make their mark, and I would like to see LJ in charge for many years to come. It's not as if we're in relegation form. Apart from against Brighton, we have played decent football and have often dominated possession. only slipping up from a lack of concentration at key moments which have cost us the game. I appreciate I may be overly optimistic, but I truly do not believe that we are playing relegation football. We're much better than that. We can turn this around. We can go forward with LJ at the helm, and we can begin to climb the league. We can be the team we all want City to be. We just have to have patience and hang in there. Our golden age could be just around the corner! 

The sun will come out tomorrow
Bet your bottom dollar
That tomorrow there'll be sun! 

Just thinkin' about tomorrow
Clears away the losses, 
And the sorrow
'Til there's none! 

When I'm stuck with a matchday
That's grey, and lonely, 
I just stick out my chin
And Grin, 
And Say, 
Oh

The sun'll come out tomorrow
So ya gotta hang on
'Til tomorrow
Come what may

Tomorrow! 
Tomorrow! 
I love ya
Tomorrow! 

You're always
A day
Away! 

Tomorrow! 
Tomorrow! 
I love ya
Tomorrow! 

25 minutes ago, The_Don said:

Funnily enough I was at that 7-1 horror show at The Liberty, must have been a bubble game as I was on a coach, the worst part of the day was not being allowed to leave early and seeing a club legend slumped in the dugout after everyone else had left the pitch as we were being held in the ground.

I got married that day......not sure which capitulation upset me most 

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Fair enough - but ultimately still a vote that again suggests the majority want him gone (remember I was originally arguing against the suggestion that the majority back him to turn it around).

What happens if you get a poll of 3.36x that one? Will you get another 21% swing?

Even with the larger turnout via Twitter, my gut feeling is you're reaching a certain demographic of supporter. If you did a compulsory ballot box on matchday, I'd guess a closer result. 

1 hour ago, The_Don said:

I actually agree with the OP.

Would like to see LJ come through this bad spell. I don't think anyone could question his love if the club and desire to well.

Nothing worse than sacking the manager at the drop of hat, although I do get that we cannot allow this run to continue much longer but I still believe our fortunes will turn.

Drop of the hat you say, He's lost 13 in 16.... ******* shambles

2 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

What happens if you get a poll of 3.36x that one? Will you get another 21% swing?

Even with the larger turnout via Twitter, my gut feeling is you're reaching a certain demographic of supporter. If you did a compulsory ballot box on matchday, I'd guess a closer result. 

That might be a good way of deciding his fate!

23 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

How many more votes would you expect? 346 represents the majority of those who post on a regular or occasional basis. Many of those who didn't vote simply wouldn't have seen it.

And why are you assuming that not voting implies support for Johnson? There was the option to back him as well as sack him!

I don't know why a vote such as this can't be considered broadly representative of the fanbase. The forum represents all demographics; all ages, sexes, all regions, season ticket holders, regulars, exiles. There simply is no reason why it can't be considered a reasonable gauge of opinion.

I'm purely basing it on past experience. Otib has never given a true reflection of the crowd at Ashton gate, imho. 

:laughcont:I know in the past few weeks the results haven't gone our way; and I know we've slipped down the table from 5th to 19th, but I'm still not pessimistic about our future. I have great faith in Lee Johnson turning things around. I am sick of the fickleness of fans, who whenever there is a poor period start baying for blood and demanding a change of manager. I would far rather stick with someone who has had a long association with City, and clearly loves this club, rather than a journeyman with no connection, who couldn't care less. I believe in giving managers a long period of time to make their mark, and I would like to see LJ in charge for many years to come. It's not as if we're in relegation form. Apart from against Brighton, we have played decent football and have often dominated possession. only slipping up from a lack of concentration at key moments which have cost us the game. I appreciate I may be overly optimistic, but I truly do not believe that we are playing relegation football. We're much better than that. We can turn this around. We can go forward with LJ at the helm, and we can begin to climb the league. We can be the team we all want City to be. We just have to have patience and hang in there. Our golden age could be just around the corner!  :laughcont:

Have I missed something :facepalm:

Are you Lees Mum ?

Sorry, I'll have some of what you've been smoking

9 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Plus these polls are done right after the game... people still angry about the result, no chance to rationalise

Absolutely. They are also (I haven't seen this particular one) angled or weighted in favour of what the originator wants the reply to be. 

Saying LJ in or out is no good. If people want LJ out then quantify with who and why they want to replace him, at least. 

59 minutes ago, Neo said:

I actually think the majority believe LJ will turn it around and want him too - only a minority want another sacking and more uncertainty.

If there was a genuine feeling he is not the right man there would be a lot more aggressive displays of dislike at the games - think back to Tinnion - a genuine City leg-end and the abuse he got every game.

I am prepared to wait until after Rotherham but if we have not formed a bigger gap than 3 points above the drop zone by the time that game finishes then I will be joining an ever growing vocal group come that time !! :ph34r:

I don't agree per se with the OP, but I do agree with your sentiments, if not the 'minority' figure.

I turned from being totally behind LJ pre-Reading to somewhere less than that, nor did Saturday help my downward trend.  Maybe that's me being fickle to some extent....which I accept.

But back to @Neo, I still want LJ to turn it around, starting tomorrow night.  If he does, then I hope he works out what it took to change results, and doesn't fall into the same mistakes again.  Don't get me wrong, it will feel like a wasted season if we escape to relatively safety, but we all got a bit hasty with 5th place.  That'll teach us, we are Bristol City aren't we.

Of course there becomes a point when his position becomes untenable, but with the new loan system, any incoming manager cannot work the emergency loan system, so it's now or the summer realistically....unless you bring in someone without giving them a fair set of tools.  I suppose you might go caretaker route.

I know in the past few weeks the results haven't gone our way; and I know we've slipped down the table from 5th to 19th, but I'm still not pessimistic about our future. I have great faith in Lee Johnson turning things around. I am sick of the fickleness of fans, who whenever there is a poor period start baying for blood and demanding a change of manager. I would far rather stick with someone who has had a long association with City, and clearly loves this club, rather than a journeyman with no connection, who couldn't care less. I believe in giving managers a long period of time to make their mark, and I would like to see LJ in charge for many years to come. It's not as if we're in relegation form. Apart from against Brighton, we have played decent football and have often dominated possession. only slipping up from a lack of concentration at key moments which have cost us the game. I appreciate I may be overly optimistic, but I truly do not believe that we are playing relegation football. We're much better than that. We can turn this around. We can go forward with LJ at the helm, and we can begin to climb the league. We can be the team we all want City to be. We just have to have patience and hang in there. Our golden age could be just around the corner! 

Look forward to reading your post when we are in league 1. Because with Johnson as  Manager it is guaranteed.

18 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

What exactly is a happy clapper? Someone who supports the club through all good and bad periods? Yes I guess we all are then...

This 'happy clapper' term is idiotic. I'm leaning towards LJ out myself, but the way people supportive of him get called happy clappers is pathetic. 

I notice a strong correlation between the posters that use that term and whether they're one of the irrational ranters that throw hissy fits everytime we concede or lose a match, irrelevant of over all form. 

Just now, RedSA said:

This 'happy clapper' term is idiotic. I'm leaning towards LJ out myself, but the way people supportive of him get called happy clappers is pathetic. 

I notice a strong correlation between the posters that use that term and whether they're one of the irrational ranters that throw hissy fits everytime we concede or lose a match, irrelevant of over all form. 

The thing is surely we are all 'happy clappers'.. after all the club have been in far more catastrophic positions than some horrendous run in the 2nd tier of Football and we all still support the club and did through those dark times whatever the situation is.

I agree with you, the term is completely idiotic

40 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

This forum is definitely not representative of the wider fan base. And generally speaking forums don't tend to be. 

There are a great number of people who ONLY use this forum to complain, only to disappear into the ether during a good spell. 

Its like with review websites - can be a dangerous assumption to rely on them because most people are considerably more inclined to register their dissatisfaction than their satisfaction. 

If 80% of the fan base wanted him gone then the atmosphere would be severely different at games. 

Well said. There's a lot of good/fantastic contributors but then there's a hell of lot on here who seem to seriously get off on their own gloom. It's almost cult like and as a ST holder and commenter ,though mainly voyeur on here it's with no doubt that the balance of negativity on here exceeds by orders of magnitude those fans at the ground. At the end of the day it's a forum. People have the right to have their say in exactly the same way as I choose to ignore them. OTIB has always been a bit glass half empty.

The answer to the question is "Yes, of course we can". We are not actually in a position where we would be relegated. BUT our current form is terrible and there is no confidence in this team. Something must change and the real question is can LJ change it. It appears, at the moment to be the curse of the Johnsons.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember a time when we threw away  maybe a dozen points turning wins into draws in a succession of games by giving away goals in the last few minutes under the managership of Johnson the elder when Lee was probably a player.

This is worse because we are turning wins into defeats but it is the same problem and it is one that Lee should understand.  I only hope that this previous experience has taught Lee something and he will stop the current haemorrhage of points. He is very much on the edge of a cliff but I very much want him to succeed.

Archived