IGNORED

Engvall

bpexile

He was obviously no fraud from his performance v Hull.

Who knows how he's settled permanently?  He's made the 18 pretty much every game he's not had an injury.  Only 14 can get on the pitch, with Wilbs being to go-to man more often than not.

Season of patience, adjusting, strengthening himself, ready for next season when there'll be no Tammy, and an even-older Wilbs.

I know it's not the 1970s, but big-man / small-man partnership still has a lot going for it, should Djuric and him be able to form a partnership.

For those that saw him tonight, did he mix his runs up, come short, go long etc.  He told me he likes to do both.

30 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wilbs will be too old next year I fear,  Next season we have Engvall and Djuric as viable options- Tomlin too maybe though he's more of a number 10. If we play 4-3-3 then we need only play one striker flanked by wingers or wide midfielders tbh, but unless Tammy renews even then we would need another striker.

We'll definitely buy a replacement for Tammy in the summer and probably have one of our loaned-out strikers (Burns or Garita) as a fourth option. I'm assuming Wilbs will go.

I've started a career on Football Manager 17 with Bristol City, first season promoted as champions (just, had a rough patch drawing about seven games in a row and some losses as well), but the interesting thing is, while Tammy was my star man in the first season, now I'm in the Premiership I'm doing very well indeed in 6th place by November, beating the teams near the bottom to show no threat of relegation, and guess who's my goal-scoring machine now? Gustav Engvall. Threw him straight in at the deep end, he barely played apart from when forced the season before, and now he's scoring hat-tricks left, right and centre. Let's hope real life turns out like that. For now though, he's already got a soft spot in my heart.

21 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I know it's not the 1970s, but big-man / small-man partnership still has a lot going for it....

I'm with you Dave...as the great Brian Clough said, 'football is a simple game complicated by idiots..'

A big geezer up front who beats up their centre halves with a smaller, skilful, quick bloke alongside him will always cause problems to any team...

22 minutes ago, Lympsham Red said:

I've started a career on Football Manager 17 with Bristol City, first season promoted as champions (just, had a rough patch drawing about seven games in a row and some losses as well), but the interesting thing is, while Tammy was my star man in the first season, now I'm in the Premiership I'm doing very well indeed in 6th place by November, beating the teams near the bottom to show no threat of relegation, and guess who's my goal-scoring machine now? Gustav Engvall. Threw him straight in at the deep end, he barely played apart from when forced the season before, and now he's scoring hat-tricks left, right and centre. Let's hope real life turns out like that. For now though, he's already got a soft spot in my heart.

Considering creating a FIFA online squad consisting of all our latest imports - since this is an earlier FIFA though, there'll be no chemistry whatsoever.

I thought he played well and linked up play well. But I'll be honest there was something about his game that suggested to me he isn't quite ready for championship football....  I'm not sure what it is..  Naivety possibly... I can't put my finger on it. 

There was enough there to show he has potential. So here's hoping he can become a good player for us. 

1 hour ago, Lympsham Red said:

This is really hacking me off talking of real players as if they are 'sprites' and comparing their abilities, it is not relevant at all as to making any judgement on a players ability from what is a game that has diddly squat to do with real life.  

I've been critical of Gustav on here, but in truth I really hope he can do well and that through ball to Paterson was excellent. Really hope he can build towards a run in the first team. His first touch is excellent, and he would be great at playing from knock downs by Djuric once Tammy leaves. Perhaps this way we can also add Tomlin as the CAM in a 3-5-2

7 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

This is really hacking me off talking of real players as if they are 'sprites' and comparing their abilities, it is not relevant at all as to making any judgement on a players ability from what is a game that has diddly squat to do with real life.  

To be fair to the guy he didn't actually compare it to real life. He only said he hopes it mirrors real life. I bloody hope it mirrors real life if it means we're sixth in the premier league come November!!!!

22 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

We'll definitely buy a replacement for Tammy in the summer and probably have one of our loaned-out strikers (Burns or Garita) as a fourth option. I'm assuming Wilbs will go.

If Garita ever gets near the first time at City I'll eat my season ticket.  Watched him in two matches against Liverpool and while he is clearly a trier, bless him, he is so lacking in quality.  What did Cotterill see in him, for heaven's sake?

9 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

Thing is, whilst it is obviously limited what you can glean from a computer game, it's not true to say the game has 'diddly squat' to do with real life. Several clubs - including us I think though am not 100% on this - use Football Manager's database as a scouting tool and, whilst far from perfect (especially on predicting potential, it is a large scale independent database of every player in the world that strives for accuracy.

i'd certainly never say 'this player is amazing on football manager so let's sign him on real life' but both FM and FIFA 17 can be useful when we sign a new player and a supporter wants to know a bit more about what kind of player they are and how other people rate them.

With the post you are responding to, for example, clearly it doesn't tell us that Engvall WILL become a regular scorer in the top flight but it does tell us that there are pepole out there who think he potentially COULD and that others in the game might understand why we bought him, even if he's not yet shown us what he can do.

6 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

If Garita ever gets near the first time at City I'll eat my season ticket.  Watched him in two matches against Liverpool and while he is clearly a trier, bless him, he is so lacking in quality.  What did Cotterill see in him, for heaven's sake?

Totally agree. Definitely was a 50k gamble. Didn't pay off 

I think we'll start seeing more of him over the coming months.

He's been a bit unfortunate in that circumstances in a number of games seem to have conspired against him coming on. On a few occasions injuries to other players have used up substitutions, denying him the chance, and our tendency to collapse towards the end of games has probably led Johnson to favour the experienced Wilbraham over him when making attacking subs.

28 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

He's been a bit unfortunate in that circumstances in a number of games seem to have conspired against him coming on. On a few occasions injuries to other players have used up substitutions, denying him the chance, and our tendency to collapse towards the end of games has probably led Johnson to favour the experienced Wilbraham over him when making attacking subs.

Totally agree mate.

When talking about team selections and formations and Subs used in a game, more often than not these have been decided by injuries, chasing a game or lack of form.

Engval's opportunities have been dictated by this.

Unfortunately these 'problems' are often overlooked by some forum members.

If we had had a season of players all being fit, especially to key experienced players, then I think our form would have been a lot better.

GoN, Matthews, Smith being injured have really knocked us, and the lack of inconsistency from Tomlin, FF and Golbourne haven't helped. All key players in key positions and all our more 'experienced'.

46 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Well amongst all the jokes and musings on why he has not played, there are those who kept reminding the fans that LJ said we wouldn't see much of him until January, maybe they were right to do so.

Archived