IGNORED

Engvall

bpexile

One thing he did do which abraham hasn't is play closer to djuric so they work effectively as a partnership. Abraham and djuric play too far apart mean balls hit forward more often than not come to nothing. If engvall can get his shooting boots on and learn to find the right pockets of space, we could have a very good striker on our hands. It's a good thing he's so young as it takes the pressure off having to develop him so fast before he demands first team football

2 minutes ago, ciderbeans said:

One thing he did do which abraham hasn't is play closer to djuric so they work effectively as a partnership. Abraham and djuric play too far apart mean balls hit forward more often than not come to nothing. If engvall can get his shooting boots on and learn to find the right pockets of space, we could have a very good striker on our hands. It's a good thing he's so young as it takes the pressure off having to develop him so fast before he demands first team football

Did you go to Fleetwood? Good to hear that as I like the idea of an effective partnership.

Abraham and Djuric have only had 2 games together though - Abraham has basically played as a lone striker for all of his senior career - give them a chance Ciderbeans!

29 minutes ago, spudski said:

Totally agree mate.

When talking about team selections and formations and Subs used in a game, more often than not these have been decided by injuries, chasing a game or lack of form.

Engval's opportunities have been dictated by this.

Unfortunately these 'problems' are often overlooked by some forum members.

If we had had a season of players all being fit, especially to key experienced players, then I think our form would have been a lot better.

GoN, Matthews, Smith being injured have really knocked us, and the lack of inconsistency from Tomlin, FF and Golbourne haven't helped. All key players in key positions and all our more 'experienced'.

Agree with the general thrust of your post but disagree on Golbourne.  Every time I've seen him (i.e. at home) he's either been Ok (no mistakes and no standout moments) or good.

Johnson is obsessed with Bryan and this has seriously hampered Golbourne's progress.

17 minutes ago, Chivs said:

Agree with the general thrust of your post but disagree on Golbourne.  Every time I've seen him (i.e. at home) he's either been Ok (no mistakes and no standout moments) or good.

Johnson is obsessed with Bryan and this has seriously hampered Golbourne's progress.

Bryan is à wing back and not very good at full back .

Golbourne is a full back and not very good at wing back .

Otherwise I agree it must be very annoying for Scott who is a solid , unspectacular defender who is well worth a first team place .

2 hours ago, Chivs said:

With the way we play, I get the impression LJ is trying to get more mobility and attacking options from the full back positions. Hence us going to wing backs at the moment.

I agree though...Golbourne is a more solid LB in a more 'static' role.

3 hours ago, BCFC_Dan said:

I think we'll start seeing more of him over the coming months.

He's been a bit unfortunate in that circumstances in a number of games seem to have conspired against him coming on. On a few occasions injuries to other players have used up substitutions, denying him the chance, and our tendency to collapse towards the end of games has probably led Johnson to favour the experienced Wilbraham over him when making attacking subs.

Agree with this.

Two other factors, firstly Wilbs is 37 now and will be slowly used as a sub less and less.

Secondly results, if we pull clear of danger we will have the freedom to give Engvall more opportunities.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Well amongst all the jokes and musings on why he has not played, there are those who kept reminding the fans that LJ said we wouldn't see much of him until January, maybe they were right to do so.

I hope so.

I have defended to a degree the lack of game time for the reasons Spudski has said, and been one of those issuing the reminders, but still would like to have seen more of Gustav.

I believe in a press conference a few weeks ago LG said Engvall had a few problems settling in England.

18 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

This is really hacking me off talking of real players as if they are 'sprites' and comparing their abilities, it is not relevant at all as to making any judgement on a players ability from what is a game that has diddly squat to do with real life.  

Oh I know, how he does in my game has no bearing on how I judge his real life ability or anything like that. I just found it interesting :laugh:.

6 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

How can you say that ? I'm sure we'd get at least that back if we sell him and probably twice that .

I believe it was a no lose deal I bet Lansdown has that sort of money in his fat wallet and he was an interpreter for JK .

Remember Bolasie also being a very low risk signing. Didn't do too badly out of him. 

Gustav is not only a striker, he has an ability to see his team players and get the ball where it needs to be. He will and can do that even if he would play in a defense position. He's stubborn, he is tactical and has a brilliant future, he's only 21 this year. I think he will earn his position in due time. I think coach knows exactly what he is doing. The more minutes he gets on the field the better he will pertform and with that comes his confidence, and from there he will show you his hat tricks and talent. So patience everybody!

7 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

I hope so.

I have defended to a degree the lack of game time for the reasons Spudski has said, and been one of those issuing the reminders, but still would like to have seen more of Gustav.

I believe in a press conference a few weeks ago LG said Engvall had a few problems settling in England.

Nope, he has adjusted easily according to Gustav himself. Keep in mind he has been playing internationally since he was 15.

16 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

I've been critical of Gustav on here, but in truth I really hope he can do well and that through ball to Paterson was excellent. Really hope he can build towards a run in the first team. His first touch is excellent, and he would be great at playing from knock downs by Djuric once Tammy leaves. Perhaps this way we can also add Tomlin as the CAM in a 3-5-2

Take a look at Engvall's Swedish National team performances, he has the ability to outrun, outsmart most, and he was doing this already at early age. Can't wait to see what he can do for City in the years to come!

12 hours ago, FootballerAunt said:

Gustav is not only a striker, he has an ability to see his team players and get the ball where it needs to be. He will and can do that even if he would play in a defense position. He's stubborn, he is tactical and has a brilliant future, he's only 21 this year. I think he will earn his position in due time. I think coach knows exactly what he is doing. The more minutes he gets on the field the better he will pertform and with that comes his confidence, and from there he will show you his hat tricks and talent. So patience everybody!

Hi Gustav.......

6 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Maybe he is Tammys replacement?

You would expect him to get more game time though if that was the case - or at least replace Tammy for 20-30 mins a game to ramp him up to replace him.... his through ball to Paterson did look good, and he seems pretty strong on the ball... so who knows.

In fairness the posts by @FootballerAunt seem to tie up with the chat I had with Gustav at Charlton Farm.  He undoubtedly believes in his own ability, and also understand the game as he was discussing how he likes to mix up his runs and positions.

Re Tammy's replacement?  Yes, getting prepped for next season I reckon....this season he's battling for game time off the bench with Wilbs, and we've often had to chuck on experience to try to change a game.

5 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Hi Gustav.......

I don't know why he feels the need to disguise himself, none of us would recognise him anyway!

On a serious note I'm looking forward to seeing more of him. He undoubtedly has something about him and hopefully he'll get his chance at some point to really make his mark.

If we're going to routinely play with two strikers now then you have to feel his chances will increase. 

32 minutes ago, Fiale said:

You would expect him to get more game time though if that was the case - or at least replace Tammy for 20-30 mins a game to ramp him up to replace him.... his through ball to Paterson did look good, and he seems pretty strong on the ball... so who knows.

I don't know for sure but I imagine there is a clause in Tammys loan deal agreement that says something like he has to start every game. 

The boy is on fire and if I was the manager I would too want him on the field for every minute possible as he's just one of those players who can find themselves in the right place at the right time be it the first minute or the last.

At the moment we are having to bring AW on to try and chase the game.

If we start winning and stick with two up front then no doubt we will start to see him come off the bench but right now the time isn't right for him. Circumstances don't really allow for it.

On 19/01/2017 at 08:07, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

If Garita ever gets near the first time at City I'll eat my season ticket.  Watched him in two matches against Liverpool and while he is clearly a trier, bless him, he is so lacking in quality.  What did Cotterill see in him, for heaven's sake?

A way he could prove a point.

Garita had been watched by Arsenal and Newcastle previously!

BBSB - few strikers will get as many as Tammy!!  The 20+ men are few and far between in the grand scheme of things, especially if you take off penalties for some of them.

I always think 15 is a good yardstick.

22 hours ago, chipdawg said:

The name suggests it more likely Gustav's Aunt Frida

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not related to Engvall, but I am from his birth town originally and have seen him play since early age. It is exciting to watch a talent like him to get the opportunity to play for Bristol and gain experience from English fotball.

On ‎2017‎-‎01‎-‎20 at 12:54, BRISTOL86 said:

I don't know why he feels the need to disguise himself, none of us would recognise him anyway!

On a serious note I'm looking forward to seeing more of him. He undoubtedly has something about him and hopefully he'll get his chance at some point to really make his mark.

If we're going to routinely play with two strikers now then you have to feel his chances will increase. 

On ‎2017‎-‎01‎-‎20 at 07:11, Robert the bruce said:

Hi Gustav.......

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not related to Engvall, but I am from his birth town originally and have seen him play since early age. It is exciting to watch a talent like him to get the opportunity to play for Bristol and gain experience from English fotball.

On ‎2017‎-‎01‎-‎20 at 12:50, Davefevs said:

In fairness the posts by @FootballerAunt seem to tie up with the chat I had with Gustav at Charlton Farm.  He undoubtedly believes in his own ability, and also understand the game as he was discussing how he likes to mix up his runs and positions.

Re Tammy's replacement?  Yes, getting prepped for next season I reckon....this season he's battling for game time off the bench with Wilbs, and we've often had to chuck on experience to try to change a game.

Being so young as Gustav is, he is competing with some very experienced players in the Chamionship. I saw him already at age 7/8 and I lifted my eye brows, he was born with a relationship to the game that was a gift. Fotball wasn't the only sport he showed talent in. I really hope he stay away from injuries, that has been his big problem. He is so eager and can be hot headed and stubborn. Just like many young talents. Hopefully experience and time will let him develop into a great fotballer....time will tell....

On 2017-01-21 at 11:32, FootballerAunt said:

Färjestaden on the island of Öland then :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Öland

16 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

The odd thing is that he can't get a fair chance in a team losing week in and week out

True, that is what is odd, if they would have played him he would have performed. Gustav is born in Kalmar, moved to Öland and Färjestaden age 2! I am not too familiar with Bristol City, but it seem very akward that they pay a large sum, know his potential and he wasn't even a sub at the last game. With so many losses you think coach would trow in some trumph cards like Engvall. It worked out in the previous game so what is he thinking??

2 minutes ago, FootballerAunt said:

True, that is what is odd, if they would have played him he would have performed. Gustav is born in Kalmar, moved to Öland and Färjestaden age 2! I am not too familiar with Bristol City, but it seem very akward that they pay a large sum, know his potential and he wasn't even a sub at the last game. With so many losses you think coach would trow in some trumph cards like Engvall. It worked out in the previous game so what is he thinking??

Thats just the trouble....no one knows what he is thinking apart from him and Holden...!!!

Archived