IGNORED

Aden Flint for Captain

Paul Cheesey

We need a leader on the pitch and in my mind he is only player who is guaranteed to start week in week out and has passion in abundance.

Whilst I agree others such as Gary O'Neil may be better candidates, but they aren't in the side consistently enough due injuries.

Also Centre Back has been proven to be a great position for the teams captain to read the game.

I'm my opinion Johnson now needs to stop tinkering, make a decision on what is best team is and stick with it to build continuity, this starts with the captain.

1 minute ago, PaulCheesley said:

We need a leader on the pitch and in my mind he is only player who is guaranteed to start week in week out and has passion in abundance.

Whilst I agree others such as Gary O'Neil may be better candidates, but they aren't in the side consistently enough due injuries.

Also Centre Back has been proven to be a great position for the teams captain to read the game.

I'm my opinion Johnson now needs to stop tinkering, make a decision on what is best team is and stick with it to build continuity, this starts with the captain.

Yes I do feel flint would suit present requirements for captain but again are not injuries gonna stop a settled side.

The back 4 which has relentlessly included flint are culpable to a greater degree than most for some of the most ridiculous goals we have conceded of late. A lot of those goals could be attributed to lack of communication, to make flint captain would be a grave mistake in my opinion, he does not lead the back line very good let alone the whole team! Hell im not even sure he is good enough for this league. Having said all that I'm not convinced nominating a new captain would help us in our current situation

4 minutes ago, frenchred said:

The back 4 which has relentlessly included flint are culpable to a greater degree than most for some of the most ridiculous goals we have conceded of late. A lot of those goals could be attributed to lack of communication, to make flint captain would be a grave mistake in my opinion, he does not lead the back line very good let alone the whole team! Hell im not even sure he is good enough for this league. Having said all that I'm not convinced nominating a new captain would help us in our current situation

Bang on, how many goals gas Flint cost us this season? The main reason on the pitch for where we are is down to our powder puff defence and calamitous keeping which has cost us so many points ( and the fact our most creative players are out of the team)

Have made the same point as the OP previously. Flint is a warrior and he clearly cares for the team. He feels defeat more keenly than most.

Hilarious that some here are slating the club's player of the season for the last two seasons.

He's young and I don't think he's necessarily the brightest (sorry Aden, just going on your interviews) but he has that Shaun Taylor attitude of wanting us to succeed as a team. 

GON just isn't in the side enough to be consistent as a captain.  As for Hegeler.  Maybe in the future,  but as of now he's been here for five minutes and even the most personable of guys isn't going to have established the personal rapport with his team mates that Flinty has.Tomlin's comments to LJ have obviously blown any remote chance he ever had of getting the armband. Bryan, I just don't see as assertive or inspirational enough. Pack has been a failure as captain and like Fontaine before him seems to play worse when he has is given that responsibility .

I don't know why but I honestly don't think Flint wants the armband. He seems to be a big influence on his teammates on and off the field and is popular, not afraid to give out a rollicking or take charge. But he does all this without being captain. He says himself he isn't patient, maybe he sees the captain needs to be. I can see him as captain material, thought so for a long time, but if he loses some of what he has (like many do, Skuse for example went to pieces as soon as he donned the armband) then no leave Flinty be.

Sorry, @Red-Robbo I think he has more intelligence than people give him credit for, maybe not top 3 but certainly not bottom 3 either.

How can we want him as captain when no one A) knows what's like personally and B) know what he's like as a leader? Only leadership i've seen from him is going ******* nuts when we concede - by which point is a bit too late to shout orders..

There's obviously a reason why he's been here for over 3 years and hasn't been captain or vice captain once.

15 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Have made the same point as the OP previously. Flint is a warrior and he clearly cares for the team. He feels defeat more keenly than most.

Hilarious that some here are slating the club's player of the season for the last two seasons.

He's young and I don't think he's necessarily the brightest (sorry Aden, just going on your interviews) but he has that Shaun Taylor attitude of wanting us to succeed as a team. 

GON just isn't in the side enough to be consistent as a captain.  As for Hegeler.  Maybe in the future,  but as of now he's been here for five minutes and even the most personable of guys isn't going to have established the personal rapport with his team mates that Flinty has.Tomlin's comments to LJ have obviously blown any remote chance he ever had of getting the armband. Bryan, I just don't see as assertive or inspirational enough. Pack has been a failure as captain and like Fontaine before him seems to play worse when he has is given that responsibility .

You can't take player of the season too seriously, how the hell he won it last year ahead of Kodjia should be looked into by the serious crime squad.

23 minutes ago, harrys said:

You can't take player of the season too seriously, how the hell he won it last year ahead of Kodjia should be looked into by the serious crime squad.

Because he's generally a rock solid defender and he performed week-in, week-out whereas Kodj had various dry patches where he was offside five times more often than he had shooting chances.

Now Flint has made more mistakes this season , but the defence has been under more pressure with zero midfield presence quite often and the entire team sitting so deep that we may as well be back in the changing room. Flint has still saved us more points than he's cost us this season.

The only reason not to give him the captaincy is if - as RedM suggests - he has specifically said he doesn't want it. 

I'm not sure if Flint could handle the additional pressure; he often seems to go in to panic mode.

Its early days but from what I've seen of Bailey Wright I think he could could make a good captain. Reads the game well, composed, has that 'warrior' spirit and I think could be a good, vocal leader. Also think he'll start each game when for and available.

5 minutes ago, WestonRobin said:

I'm not sure if Flint could handle the additional pressure; he often seems to go in to panic mode.

Its early days but from what I've seen of Bailey Wright I think he could could make a good captain. Reads the game well, composed, has that 'warrior' spirit and I think could be a good, vocal leader. Also think he'll start each game when for and available.

I may be wrong (eyesight isn't what it used to be...) but didn't Wright take the arm band second half against Forest?

I love Flinty but.... I think he needs to concentrate 100% on doing his actual job for the team right now. He looks rocky at the moment and I'm not having a dig at him because its another symptom of the pressure the team and all of us feel right now.

In the future and really hope there is one with Flinty in it, I think he would make a really good Captain.

51 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

I may be wrong (eyesight isn't what it used to be...) but didn't Wright take the arm band second half against Forest?

I'm quite sure I heard that he had it listening in. I could see him having the armband next season(yes I know if we stay up) for quite a bit. He does seem the type(IMO) to take that responsibility. Leads by example from what I've seen as well. 

As I said in another thread- if Flint wants to organise the defence, rally the troops, shout instructions and feels confident enough and knowledgeable to do it -  a strip of cloth around his arm should make no difference, he should be doing it anyway. If we have players not speaking up, giving advice or instructions when they see something because they are not "captain" then we truly are set for failure.

3 hours ago, harrys said:

Bang on, how many goals gas Flint cost us this season? The main reason on the pitch for where we are is down to our powder puff defence and calamitous keeping which has cost us so many points ( and the fact our most creative players are out of the team)

I think powder puff midfield should be talked about first of all. Teams going through us with barely a tackle going in. 

Free crosses into the box the source of most goals this season. 

3 hours ago, WestonRobin said:

Good shout WR :thumbsup:

Was pondering the captaincy last eve

Needs to be a regular starter which probably gives a choice of Tammy , Aden , Hegler or Wright atm !!

Id let Aden concentrate on his own game at present ,probably  unfair on Hegler atm, as a foreign player having to move and settle here, despite his pedigree ,so that leaves Bailey by default alone !!!

Does seem the right sort of character and the testimonies from PNE fans suggest he'd be the right sort

Pretty certain he turned down the armband last year.

I can't remember which game (definitely at home though), Wilbraham was substituted and gave the armband to Pack for him to pass onto Flint but he shook his head and made it clear he didn't want it...Pack ended up wearing it on that occasion.

1 hour ago, AS-BS3 said:

Pretty certain he turned down the armband last year.

I can't remember which game (definitely at home though), Wilbraham was substituted and gave the armband to Pack for him to pass onto Flint but he shook his head and made it clear he didn't want it...Pack ended up wearing it on that occasion.

This was the comment I was going to make, Flint has turned down having the armband before so clearly doesn't want it.

Archived