IGNORED

Reclaim the East End - PETITION

phantom

5 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

I currently sit in the SS S21 and we have some chants going every now and then.  Although it is hard to say recently down to our form but at times hear  us start chants the echo around the stadium after.   I would say the acoustics sound better than where the singers  currently sit having previously sat as a season ticket holder where they sit.  

I welcome the singers to the stand and would love if we could get the stand rocking to say even a quarter of sound of the palace semi final play off leg.  I do wonder if the singers will be quieter if the away fans aren't noisy enough to hear from the SS though?  

can you stand up in the 2nd minute and shout out Mike? 

Reclaim the East End? It will never, ever be anything like the proper East End of the '70s and '80s - what an awesome home End that was.....full of incredible characters and non stop vocal support...it was a brilliant place to be.

I'm sorry but the guys n gals who were stuck in one corner of it for a while when it was all seater and now call themselves Section 82 will never know what the East End was really like, and will never be able to recreate it.....I miss it so much...

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Reclaim the East End? It will never, ever be anything like the proper East End of the '70s and '80s - what an awesome home End that was.....full of incredible characters and non stop vocal support...it was a brilliant place to be.

I'm sorry but the guys n gals who were stuck in one corner of it for a while when it was all seater and now call themselves Section 82 will never know what the East End was really like, and will never be able to recreate it.....I miss it so much...

I was very scared mind,only once did i fight my corner No choice

The players ALWAYS say it makes a difference and the Owner is telling us to all get together and support the team. So it is a thoroughly positive suggestion that as many of us as possible who enjoy more vocal types of support should sign the petition and the Club should follow this strong lead and implement the idea.

Signed

SK. COYRs

• SC&T Board Members
2 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

No, it's on its way. The law needs to change first. @Blagdon red is the expert on this, and is better informed to give the latest update :) 

Lots of stuff still going on with the national safe standing (rail seating) campaign, but still not quite there yet. Latest info here on my website.

I admire the effort of all involved in the safe-standing campaign but he seems to be in a perpetual state of progress and hope for the future. The football authorities in this country clearly aren't interested in it at all, despite the wants of fans.

8 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

I admire the effort of all involved in the safe-standing campaign but he seems to be in a perpetual state of progress and hope for the future. The football authorities in this country clearly aren't interested in it at all, despite the wants of fans.

It appears to have moved foward massively recently, now the likes of Man Utd have started on it.

For me there is no correlation between where fans are in the stadium and the amount of noise they generate, or at least not anymore because the old Eastend, the one that had value to City fans, was recently Bulldozed and replaced.

Every week in the Atyeo I see the same faces trying to create an atmosphere all game and the same faces staying silent, why would this be different at the opposite end of the ground? 

The 'south stand' is not the Eastend, that is something we will never get back. We need to work for something new, S82 could provide this with more fan engagement and enthusiasm, another move and 'singing section' would not be a magic answer to Ashton Gates lack of atmosphere but would be pointless and cause unrest amongst ST holders that seems unnecessary. 

7 hours ago, JHAGa said:

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say by the end of this decade, it'll be installed in those grounds that want it :) 

10 hours ago, phantom said:

I have just seen the following petition online. OK not everyone will want this, so rather than turn this thread into a debate about the pros and cons, please just use the link if YOU WANT to sign the petition....

Will it make a difference?

Who knows, but we know that the club listened to get it reopened a few years back, and I'm sure everyone will agree every effort should be made to improve the atmosphere at Ashton Gate! 

https://www.petitions24.com/reclaim_the_east_end

Reclaim The East End

The purpose of this petition is to ask the board of Bristol City FC to consider allocating section S22 of the South Stand as a singing section to promote a better atmosphere at Ashton Gate. Since the redevelopment of Ashton Gate the match day atmosphere has diminshed considerably even with an increase in the average match day attendance. There are many pockets of fans around the stadium that would prefer to be with like minded fans and join in one designated area. We are constantly being asked to get behind the team but this is hampered by over zealous stewarding and the scattering of fans who want to generate an atmosphere. The fans can be the 12th player and should be as intimidating to visiting teams as possible. The likes of Crystal Palace, Wolves and West Brom have amazing home ends and we want our chance to be able to match them. Bring back the atmosphere and reclaim the East End CTID

Are the club not already intending to make the Atyeo away fans only-thus moving the home fans based there elsewhere???

10 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Be annoyed if this happens on a personal level! Really enjoy where I sit and personally I don't want to stand for 90 minutes, neither should I be forced to (or forced to move) by people who don't respect others wishes. 

It would only take one person in every section to take that view and we could never change a thing. 

What Robert said. I can see the club supporting this to enable the closure of the Atyeo to home fans. We can all sing whilst sat down then and because it is now an established area for fans who just want to watch the game without singing or don't like to hear certain words "up close" it is likely to make the ground even more of a library whilst 4000 Leeds drown out home support from the other end.

The club had the chance to do something when the stand was built. I think too late now.

14 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

It would only take one person in every section to take that view and we could never change a thing. 

Totally agree. I'd be more than willing to compromise to see the atmosphere at Ashton Gate improve but so many of our fans wont that any discussions like this will be futile imho.

12 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Here we go again - so you all stand up and wave the bloody great flags in S22 and that means almost everyone in S20, S21, S23 and S24 have to stand to see play in the opposite corners at that end.

Stand up in the corner blocks where the Family blocks are between South and Dolman if you must and from there if you are as noisy and sing as much as you say you do, you may be able to raise some noise from the rest of theSouth and the Dolman.

It's a library everywhere at present because what is on the pitch is such crap. And if that continues to the inevitable relegation, you can have the whole bloody South Stand for yourselves because so many of us are just plain sick of it.

12 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Be annoyed if this happens on a personal level! Really enjoy where I sit and personally I don't want to stand for 90 minutes, neither should I be forced to (or forced to move) by people who don't respect others wishes. 

11 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

S22 is the centre block in South Stand. Almost completely sold as ST's now. Next season ?

So you want to move about 1,000 ST holders out?

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

The reality is a standing section in the middle of the South Stand is  pretty daft idea as, has been pointed out by cidered abroad, the other blocks would continue to have to stand when play is in the corners. It would also mean moving a lot of season ticket holders who want to sit. The club's suggestion seems be moving the standing section (they can't call it that, so it's called the singing section) to the corner of the South Stand. This would cause minimum disruption and not block the view of those who wish to sit. Why don't those who started the petition just accept this?

38 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The reality is a standing section in the middle of the South Stand is  pretty daft idea as, has been pointed out by cidered abroad, the other blocks would continue to have to stand when play is in the corners. It would also mean moving a lot of season ticket holders who want to sit. The club's suggestion seems be moving the standing section (they can't call it that, so it's called the singing section) to the corner of the South Stand. This would cause minimum disruption and not block the view of those who wish to sit. Why don't those who started the petition just accept this?

How many seats are in that section btw? If there is a limit to how far the"singing section" can expand then unless its substantially larger than the Atyeo allocation what's the point? I see it more likely to upset people sat adjacent who want a different experience at football nowadays.

20 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

How many seats are in that section btw? If there is a limit to how far the"singing section" can expand then unless its substantially larger than the Atyeo allocation what's the point? I see it more likely to upset people sat adjacent who want a different experience at football nowadays.

You mean to sit in silence and occasionally grumble? :P

In all seriousness though, people should be able to support their team in any way they wish without criticism. If people dont want to stand or sing then thats fine and nobody has a right to judge. But personally I think that the atmosphere of the stadium is the most important part of the matchday experience and should take priority over other things, even if it does inconvenience a few folk in the short term. So if some end up having to move to another section to create a better singing area then so be it. In my opinion anyway.

Of course if all this had been properly thought through before the new stand opened, we wouldnt be having to discuss it now. But thats Bristol City FC.

20 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm not acoustic engineer, but isn't the loudest sounding section of the ground going to be the one with the lowest roof - and that's not the South Stand.

It depends, it can be if you want the sound to be reflected back on those singing so they sound loud to themselves. Ideally you want a shape that reflects the sound onto the pitch, the SS is not to bad for that. When the crowds do sing the stadium does sound good, just unfortunately not really been much for fans to cheer.

Archived