IGNORED

How confident are you we will appoint the right man this time?

Flagon

No confidence at all. Although I hope LJ is able to turn things around I'm feeling less and less confident. Part of me would like to see a longer term strategy in which he plays a part but I suspect he's now on borrowed time.

I don't see Lansdown as a philanthropic benefactor like some see him. I see him as a shrewd investor. A man who admittedly has spent/invested/lost a lot of money but equally someone who had the foresight to protect that investment.

I don't know but I suspect Lansdown is the now the ultimate beneficial owner of Ashton Gate and I suspect other pockets of land that once belonged to BCFC.

Football to him is one of a number of income streams that contribute to his return on the new stadium. Perhaps currently the most significant one, but one of a number nonetheless. If football takes a dip it can be replaced by another - perhaps a few more concerts? 

Does that make him a bad bloke? Not at all, but I fear that the idea of a board of directors making decisions based on the thing that matters most to you and I - a successful future for the team that we love - matters far, far less to them.

Shame but I suspect that's the future we can look forward to.

I said in a thread somewhere a week or so back we should appoint Frank De Boer. Now I know we would never get him, but I said it because I am so tired of seeing these threads every yer or so and we end up with McInnes, Coppell, SoD, Cotterill, Johnson  - but what other names do our fans band around Warnock, Appleton, Pearson etc etc always the same names.. where the hell is our ambition... ok we are not a huge club but we could be, we could be at least be a Southampton, or even a Ajax if Lansdown wanted us to be - somethings really are down to money, and there are people out there who would love to oversee and start something like that here especially if being rewarded by a good wage and backing... maybe we need Cat 1 academy first, but I just wish we would think bigger, expect bigger and not just accept that we are little Bristol City, backwater Championship L1 yo,yo club. With youth team coaches no one has even heard of that get changed as often as our managers.

btw name was on the radar, when Frank was let go in November - got us onto talking about our youth set, and if our large influx of "ones for the future" suggest we are not producing players we think will make it in the Championship. Started talking about other setups etc...   

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

The problem is we will beat rotherham 

As much as I want Johnson to leave we simply MUST win those two games. The away games coming up are horrendous. Seriously cannot face League 1  again. What a waste it would be and a massive massive setback. 

Arguably, we made the right appointments with the last two managers. Cotts got us out of L1 when it looked we were there for another protracted stay, Johnson saved us last season when Cotts' lack of preparedness looked like taking us down. Now Lee has taken us as far as he can go, and he's faced with a crisis he is failing to manage. Be nice if the next appointment lasts longer, but even Lee has been here nearly as long as the average league manager. The average tenure at English clubs is 14-months.

29 minutes ago, Fiale said:

I said in a thread somewhere a week or so back we should appoint Frank De Boer. Now I know we would never get him, but I said it because I am so tired of seeing these threads every yer or so and we end up with McInnes, Coppell, SoD, Cotterill, Johnson  - but what other names do our fans band around Warnock, Appleton, Pearson etc etc always the same names.. where the hell is our ambition... ok we are not a huge club but we could be, we could be at least be a Southampton, or even a Ajax if Lansdown wanted us to be - somethings really are down to money, and there are people out there who would love to oversee and start something like that here especially if being rewarded by a good wage and backing... maybe we need Cat 1 academy first, but I just wish we would think bigger, expect bigger and not just accept that we are little Bristol City, backwater Championship L1 yo,yo club. With youth team coaches no one has even heard of that get changed as often as our managers.

btw name was on the radar, when Frank was let go in November - got us onto talking about our youth set, and if our large influx of "ones for the future" suggest we are not producing players we think will make it in the Championship. Started talking about other setups etc...   

The reality is that managers are cheap compared to players. It's the same at pretty much every level. So going down the option of appointing "cheap" makes no sense.

Perhaps the problem is what we saw with Cotterill near the end. SL doesn't fancy a manager who would take him on, especially one who is successful. Do you honestly believe that he would ever appoint someone like Fergie or Mourinho? No way!!

Just now, Dr Balls said:

The reality is that managers are cheap compared to players. It's the same at pretty much every level. So going down the option of appointing "cheap" makes no sense.

Perhaps the problem is what we saw with Cotterill near the end. SL doesn't fancy a manager who would take him, especially one who is successful. Do you honestly believe that he would ever appoint someone like Fergie or Mourinho? No way!!

Should this be moved to the homosexuality in football thread?  :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Arguably, we made the right appointments with the last two managers. Cotts got us out of L1 when it looked we were there for another protracted stay, Johnson saved us last season when Cotts' lack of preparedness looked like taking us down. Now Lee has taken us as far as he can go, and he's faced with a crisis he is failing to manage. Be nice if the next appointment lasts longer, but even Lee has been here longer than the average league manager. The average tenure at English clubs is 14-months.

14 months??? Just feels that long since we were last on a decent run.

LJ has had 12 months so far, of which at least 1 is more than he has deserved!

1 hour ago, Harry said:

The job will go to Rowett.
Whether he is the right man or not, I don't know.
He'll probably be the right man for about 8 months, and then become very much the wrong man, leading us to change again.

SL has done all he can off the pitch to raise the profile of this 'project'.  What he needs now is to get the right man at the helm of the football club to take his 'project' to the next level.  For me, it's time to appoint a well-known, big name manager.  Only a 'name' will bring the attention to BCFC.  I don't think any of the other managers we could employ who are 'up and coming' or have 'potential' will do much of a different job.  Get a name that will surprise the football world, bring the media attention to our doorstep, let the players who are here know you mean business, let players who we might want to bring in know we mean business etc etc.  SL needs to raise the profile of this club and his project to a national level, and he will only do that with a BIG appointment, a household name.
That person may or may not be as good a coach as the latest 'next great thing', but the difference the name can bring will trump that.  Time we thought big.

I'd be all for having a word with Hodgson, see if he fancies one last managerial challenge before retirement.
I'd be all for getting Hoddle in (with Wilkins to assist him), to really set eyebrows raising across the country.
Something along these lines has to be done in my opinion, to take the so-called project to the next level.

I was with you up until you mentioned Hodgson.....From one tactically inept clown to another.

Just now, Dr Balls said:

14 months??? Just feels that long since we were last on a decent run.

LJ has had 12 months so far, of which at least 1 is more than he has deserved!

At the same time, he deserves our thanks for picking us up from the relegation zone and hoiking us well clear in 2015/16 and for improving the squad.

Time for someone who can halt the panic though and instill belief in our players.

9 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

At the same time, he deserves our thanks for picking us up from the relegation zone and hoiking us well clear in 2015/16 and for improving the squad.

Time for someone who can halt the panic though and instill belief in our players.

He didn't start the turnaround. That was Pemberton. LJ had enough sense last season to not mess around too much with what he had started.

This season we have really had LJ at the helm and although we started well, it's been downhill since October. And you don't need to be much of a conspiracy theorist to wonder about the appointment of his mate Dean Holden, the effect on Pemberton's role and the drastic dip in our form.

If we get relegated LJ will rightly go down as one of our worst managers. At least when MacInnes kept us up, he did it his way. And he had gone back to Scotland and thrived at Aberdeen, so he can't be that hopeless. I can't see LJ going anywhere significant after he leaves Ashton Gate, or making a success of it.

If SL sanctioned half the finances he has given LJ for players on a Manager fit for his ambition, our support, stadium and facilities then we'd be looking at a potential play off place, it's complete madness.

Rowett or Tisdale will do no better than Lee, it's time to spend some money on a experienced manager. We need the likes of Pardew, Harry or Hoddle looking after us, unfortunately getting them anywhere near such a sinking ship would be near impossible; especially with no transfer window to work with

2 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

He didn't start the turnaround. That was Pemberton. LJ had enough sense last season to not mess around too much with what he had started.

This season we have really had LJ at the helm and although we started well, it's been downhill since October. And you don't need to be much of a conspiracy theorist to wonder about the appointment of his mate Dean Holden, the effect on Pemberton's role and the drastic dip in our form.

If we get relegated LJ will rightly go down as one of our worst managers. At least when MacInnes kept us up, he did it his way. And he had gone back to Scotland and thrived at Aberdeen, so he can't be that hopeless. I can't see LJ going anywhere significant after he leaves Ashton Gate, or making a success of it.

I'm aware of our debt to Pemberton, but he was only in charge for three games. I think Johnson does deserve some credit.

And he's nowhere near our worst manager. There have been far worse.

8 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

If SL sanctioned half the finances he has given LJ for players on a Manager fit for his ambition, our support, stadium and facilities then we'd be looking at a potential play off place, it's complete madness.

Rowett or Tisdale will do no better than Lee, it's time to spend some money on a experienced manager. We need the likes of Pardew, Harry or Hoddle looking after us, unfortunately getting them anywhere near such a sinking ship would be near impossible; especially with no transfer window to work with

I know what you mean but right now all I want is a steady manager at this level who will keep us up, stabilise the club as an established Championship team. Rowett fits that bill although I understand fans who suggest it displays a lack of ambition.

The more I think about it I do wonder about SL being risk averse, and that his business model that might work in financial services does not translate to football and it's unique circumstances. 

The overseas option has its merits. If you assume we wouldn't get a big name, appointing an assistant to one of the most successful coaches seems a good option e.g. David Wagner, Aitor Karanka, Paul Clement. Could we? Yes. Would we? Probably not.

9 minutes ago, Fiale said:

@Dr Balls  still think Huddersfield played the best football I have seen this season. I have no idea how much they have spent, but would love to see that playstyle being used by a city side. Getting successful coach from Dortmund certainly worked for them.

Also Mourinho loaned Bamford to Boro from Chelsea. So even those links are useful.

By contrast we have a novice whose greatest point of reference is his dad, who has had some success particularly at the lower echelons of football but hardly a major managerial name vying for top European honours.

2 hours ago, Flagon said:

Many fans seem to feel that if we are to lose the Rotherham game it is likely that LJ would be asked to leave.

In Lansdown's statement where he refers to the off field success he said "I have no intention of seeing this wasted." I think this game along with the Sheffield Wednesday one could be the limit. 

However, if this were to happen any incoming manager would not have the opportunity to improve the squad with new players as January would obviously be over. 

The immediate remit would be the same as LJ's when he got here last year, just please keep us up. We would then hit the summer transfer window, assuming all being well, still in the Championship where the inevitable conundrum of who to let go, who to get in begins.

At this current time I genuinely believe the players are as much at fault for some terrible errors defensively, poor finishing and decision making coupled with some bad tactics.

So how confident are you that the board would actually appoint the right person this time round and importantly sustain a turnaround in form for the future and not just this season?

In all honesty, what could be worse than LJ?

Could we not just recruit whoever picks the managers at Southampton since the Liebherr family took over? Adkins, Pochettino, Koeman & now Puel.

Remember after a succession of bad managerial choices (including both Redknapp & Pardew) they ended up in League 1 just 7 years ago, below us who were in the Championship at the time, with no guarantee of matching earlier successes. But look where they are now - comparisons are just so depressing!!

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

Could we not just recruit whoever picks the managers at Southampton since the Liebherr family took over? Adkins, Pochettino, Koeman & now Puel.

Remember after a succession of bad managerial choices (including both Redknapp & Pardew) they ended up in League 1 just 7 years ago, below us who were in the Championship at the time, with no guarantee of matching earlier successes. But look where they are now - comparisons are just so depressing!!

Pardew a 'bad managerial choice' by the Saints?! Not true. Firstly he was appointed by Liebherr and despite a ten point deduction at the start of the season he was there, he nearly got Southampton to the play offs and he also won the Football League Trophy, an accolade dear to the hearts of many on here! That was Saints' first trophy since 1976.

And he also plucked Rickie Lambert from some lower league tinpot outfit.

Pardew won over 53% of his 64 games in charge of Southampton; Pochettino won 38% of his 60 games at the helm of the Saints...and of the four 'successful' recent Southampton managers you listed, only Adkins had a better record than Pardew. So not sure how that makes him a 'bad managerial choice.'

Pardew's time there wasn't bad in my opinion...

5 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Pardew a 'bad managerial choice' by the Saints?! Not true. Firstly he was appointed by Liebherr and despite a ten point deduction at the start of the season he was there, he nearly got Southampton to the play offs and he also won the Football League Trophy, an accolade dear to the hearts of many on here! That was Saints' first trophy since 1976.

And he also plucked Rickie Lambert from some lower league tinpot outfit.

Pardew won over 53% of his 64 games in charge of Southampton; Pochettino won 38% of his 60 games at the helm of the Saints...and of the four 'successful' recent Southampton managers you listed, only Adkins had a better record than Pardew. So not sure how that makes him a 'bad managerial choice.'

Pardew's time there wasn't bad in my opinion...

Ok. Don't follow Siuthampton that closely and bow to your greater knowledge. That said it makes my case even stronger because before Liebherr bought the club I do recall them going through a list of fairly forgettable and unsuccessful managers that got them relegated as far as League 1 with a nice new big stadium. Surely that bit sounds like a familiar scenario to any City supporter?

Archived