IGNORED

About Bl**dy Time! - Sin-bins for yellow-card offences

Curr Avon

7 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I can remember, as many others will, when there were no subs.

Injured players were put out on the wing (younger fans may need an explanation of what wingers were!).  They were put there if they were still standing and breathing!

Was this before they introduced the 18 yard box and crossbars Ivor? ;-) Jumpers for goal posts.....

Speaking as a kids coach:

There is also a line in the release about "fairness" and that "particular focus will be given to the role of the captain and how her/his responsibilities could be enhanced as part of a move to improve on-field discipline and create better communication between players and match officials".

Should start at the top of the game. These players are role models and their behaviour affects grass roots football from juniors upwards. 

Forget sin bins look at retrospective banning of players for diving, cheating etc.

The rules of lower league football are fine as they are. It is the behaviour of players at the top that puts parents off getting their children involved.

Bloody brilliant idea. 

Minimum 5 mins off the pitch if you need the trainer for an injury would also be a good addition.

That would stop the playacting in one hit.

If you're injured enough to need additional help and can play on immediately then you weren't that bad in the first place. 

2 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

So,even more pressure on referees. Managers will use this even more to scapegoat them. What's actually wrong with the game as it is.

The current yellow card system isn't a deterrent to the cynical fouls that are not serious enough for a red card. If it was applied as in Rugby Union, where for example, if infringements are conceded in successive scrums, the last one to transgress gets the yellow card. Whereas in football now, if different members of the same team consecutively commit the same foul like shirt pulling, it's possible that all will get away with it. Warnock's teams are like that - lots of niggly fouls, nothing too serious, but if the team is then punished for a series of them, it does benefit the opposition to play 10 or 15 minutes against one less.

It's worth an experimental period. 

System works in ice hockey as well. And then you get "power plays" which is often when goals are scored. So ther is an obvious deterrent. A couple of the really cynical fouls on Tomlin & Tammy really warranted more than a yellow & a free kick from some distance out.

Yes there will be issues about diving, but as regards penalties you could make it that the penalty is the only punishment rather than a penalty and a yellow. Obviously if it's really bad offence e.g. Handling in the line to stop a certain goal, you can still have a red card and a penalty. Or better still go to the rugby system of sending off the player and just awarding the goal.

There are plenty of ways that the laws of the game and how they are interpreted could be improved. This at least worth a good luck, considering how well it works in other sports.

Unlees of course you believe football administrators always know best (48 team World Cup finals?!!)

How many times have we heard pundits say "He took one for the team there" after a deliberate hauling down? The defender knows full well they will get a yellow, but they do it anyway. They also know full well that a free-kick from 45 yards with 11 defending players behind the ball is far less likely to result in a goal than letting them go.

I think this would work only if for deliberate fouls, reckless challenges not quite worthy of a red (like the one on Tammy last night) dives, dissent and timewasting.

Honest challenges that are just mis-timed should not result in a sin-binning.

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I also think it may increase injuries, you will have players going "cold" on the bench and then trying to get back into the match again. 

Can they not sit on exercise bikes or similar? Surely they do not have to sit in an actual bin??

I have always liked the idea of sin bins in football but now it's actually being talked about being introduced I do worry a little that it could be wrongly implemented . Even though it says the trial will only start in amateur and youth football. 

I agree with with a few posters on here who think if  it does implement the sin bin into the professional game that there should be a card before the sin bin card.....

3 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Absolutely abysmal idea, there is enough time taken out of the game now. We all know that coaches will get around it somehow, time wasting being the obvious way. There will be players feigning injuries all over the place and we will see the ball in play even less than it is now, if that is even possible..

If you make the bin period long enough it will be a serious deterrent. 

My concern is it will result in teams parking the bus and becoming familiar with a boring 10-man formation. 

Still support the idea though. 

23 hours ago, Robbored said:

Not at all!

10 mins out the game is far more punishing than a yellow card which means the player pretty much gets away with it. Even more so if a team has two or even three in the sin bin overlapping each other.

It would discourage players from being reckless and referees for being so free handed with the cards.

Obviously it's an idea taken from rugby as is FIFA considering that only the captain can talk to the referee.

Both excellent ideas in my view.

Id like to see both introduced.

I would highly anticipate that you are in the minority.

as others have said, referees get enough decisions wrong as it is without adding this kind of punishment into the mix. People would actually get away with far more in the way of tackles because now the referee will have to justify if it was bad enough to spend 10 minutes with 10 men.

the governing bodies just need to get tougher on retrospective action for cheating, thats all.

56 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I would highly anticipate that you are in the minority.

as others have said, referees get enough decisions wrong as it is without adding this kind of punishment into the mix. People would actually get away with far more in the way of tackles because now the referee will have to justify if it was bad enough to spend 10 minutes with 10 men.

the governing bodies just need to get tougher on retrospective action for cheating, thats all.

No doubt it's a divisive issue with pro and cons in both arguments.

I think we'd see referees being more careful about showing a yellow if the sin bin was introduced. Currently they get issued for very minor infringements.

That said I see the opposite arguement.

There are a number of rules from back in my playing days which should be applied now and would benefit the modern professional game.

Skins vs shirts, lining up against the wall to pick sides, whoever brings the ball gets to play up front and of course the fat kid plays in goal.

Come on FIFA sort it out.

On 01/02/2017 at 12:57, Barrs Court Red said:

Alternatively, the cynical sort of stuff like diving and time wasting will now carry an immediate consequence.

Could make it quite exciting your in the 89th minute and a goal down.. there keeper then gets sin binned for time wasting will make for a exciting couple of minutes ha ha

Does this mean we will have periods of time when the clock is stopped, as in Rugby.

or a player gets sin binned, then his teammates pretend they need treatment for  an injury for a long period of time, eating into the punishment time.

3 hours ago, Dave said:

Does this mean we will have periods of time when the clock is stopped, as in Rugby.

or a player gets sin binned, then his teammates pretend they need treatment for  an injury for a long period of time, eating into the punishment time.

Nail on the head there.  The thing with Rugby is that the time is visible and can be stopped.  In football it is more, er, mysterious..    

On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 13:00, Robbored said:

Not at all!

10 mins out the game is far more punishing than a yellow card which means the player pretty much gets away with it. Even more so if a team has two or even three in the sin bin overlapping each other.

It would discourage players from being reckless and referees for being so free handed with the cards.

Obviously it's an idea taken from rugby as is FIFA considering that only the captain can talk to the referee.

Both excellent ideas in my view.

Id like to see both introduced.

the same should apply in lawn bowls

Going off topic slightly re the clock.  It was argued that if you stopped the clock every time the ball went out the game wouldn't finish until 5:30.  Is the ball in play about 55 minutes per game.  Why not just play 2x30 then?  I don't necessarily agree or disagree, but it would support the 10 minute sin bin.

Bannan - took one for the team on Tuesday.  I think he'd have had second thoughts if he thought he was going to spend the next 10 minutes off the pitch.

On TalkSport yesterday they talked about every straight red going to video ref.  I can see some logic in that, especially as a number are wrong, and overturned on appeal....is doesn't help during the game though.

Therec not much wrong with the general rules of the game, just a bit of fine-tuning needed 

42 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I've seen players storm off the green in strop but never seen a  yellow or red card. Might be to do with the fact we don't have a referee.....

If there's a dispute don't the 2 opposing skips have a fight to settle it ?

Archived