IGNORED

About Bl**dy Time! - Sin-bins for yellow-card offences

Curr Avon

Sin-bin plan to be looked at by football's lawmaking body Ifab

Ifab will look at whether yellow cards should lead to a period in the sin-bin.

Sin-bins for yellow-card offences in football could be given the go-ahead as early as next month.

Football's law-making body Ifab will look at the proposal at its annual meeting in London in March.

The measure has been tested in Uefa development competitions and some amateur leagues in recent years.

If approved, sin-bins will come in at youth and amateur levels and could be introduced to the professional game within two to three years.

Other proposals to be discussed at the meeting include allowing national associations more freedom to decide on the number of substitutions in a game.

The move is intended to help the development of the game at lower levels, "by promoting and encouraging more people to take part," the International Football Association Board agenda reads.

There is also a line in the release about "fairness" and that "particular focus will be given to the role of the captain and how her/his responsibilities could be enhanced as part of a move to improve on-field discipline and create better communication between players and match officials".

This is likely to refer to a suggestion by Marco van Basten, the chief technical officer of governing body Fifa, that only the captain should be able to speak to the referee.

Ifab is made up of Fifa and the four British home associations - the FAs of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland - and is responsible for making the final decision on law changes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38824937

With Subs....I look back to when there used to be only 1 Sub.

How did Clubs manage? How often did teams play with injured players on the pitch? How did you keep players happy if they weren't in the match day 12.

It seems a million miles from now. And it really wasn't that long ago.

3 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Two problems

1) Every time a team gets a yellow they'll park the bus till they are back to a full compliment. Boring football will ensue.

2) Games could easily finish 9v8 through sin binnings.

Alternatively, the cynical sort of stuff like diving and time wasting will now carry an immediate consequence.

6 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Two problems

1) Every time a team gets a yellow they'll park the bus till they are back to a full compliment. Boring football will ensue.

2) Games could easily finish 9v8 through sin binnings.

The third problem is it's the referee that decides if it's a yellow or not, how many times do they get that wrong?

Must admit - I am not sure about this.

I suppose in one way it's a deterrent - would a player risk a yellow card and time in the sin-bin for a stupid tug of the shirt or dissent. So in that way it could see the stupid, naive and 'niggly' challenges greatly reduced with the absolute cynical challenges - like the On on Tammy outside their box last night - getting a tougher punishment.

I'm sure it will have its flaws too...last night Wednesday picked up at least two bookings, maybe three, within the space of three or four minutes in the first half. What's to prevent a cynical team, let's say a Warnock type team, from deliberately getting a couple more - *if they were 2 down with 10 minutes to go; would the game then be abandoned? As it would if that number of players were sent off.

* No need to do that against us though! :thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Sin-bin plan to be looked at by football's lawmaking body Ifab

Ifab will look at whether yellow cards should lead to a period in the sin-bin.

Sin-bins for yellow-card offences in football could be given the go-ahead as early as next month.

Football's law-making body Ifab will look at the proposal at its annual meeting in London in March.

The measure has been tested in Uefa development competitions and some amateur leagues in recent years.

If approved, sin-bins will come in at youth and amateur levels and could be introduced to the professional game within two to three years.

Other proposals to be discussed at the meeting include allowing national associations more freedom to decide on the number of substitutions in a game.

The move is intended to help the development of the game at lower levels, "by promoting and encouraging more people to take part," the International Football Association Board agenda reads.

There is also a line in the release about "fairness" and that "particular focus will be given to the role of the captain and how her/his responsibilities could be enhanced as part of a move to improve on-field discipline and create better communication between players and match officials".

This is likely to refer to a suggestion by Marco van Basten, the chief technical officer of governing body Fifa, that only the captain should be able to speak to the referee.

Ifab is made up of Fifa and the four British home associations - the FAs of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland - and is responsible for making the final decision on law changes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38824937

So,even more pressure on referees. Managers will use this even more to scapegoat them. What's actually wrong with the game as it is.

4 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Just leave the game alone!

Terrible idea IMO

Not at all!

10 mins out the game is far more punishing than a yellow card which means the player pretty much gets away with it. Even more so if a team has two or even three in the sin bin overlapping each other.

It would discourage players from being reckless and referees for being so free handed with the cards.

Obviously it's an idea taken from rugby as is FIFA considering that only the captain can talk to the referee.

Both excellent ideas in my view.

Id like to see both introduced.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

The third problem is it's the referee that decides if it's a yellow or not, how many times do they get that wrong?

Okay, let's see how we get on without a referee!! They give decisions based on what they see, and from the angle they  see it from, i.e., one angle. Tv cameras may show something different from a completely different angle. 

Referees get far more right on the pitch than players do!

Terrible idea imo.

If you want to make yellow cards more costly, then why not reduce the number of yellow cards it takes to get a match ban?

Yellow cards happen in English football, why change a formula that for the most part works perfectly? Punish diving, yes. Critically affect a football match by having constant sin-bins? No way.

12 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

So,even more pressure on referees. Managers will use this even more to scapegoat them. What's actually wrong with the game as it is.

The game doesn't adequately punish persistent fouling and 'buying a foul' is perceived as being part of the game when its really stretching professionalism to its limit. Or as I call it, taking the p*ss.

Referees should command respect by having the necessary powers to punish players.

Once implemented, managers and players will just have to deal with the changes.

I prefer the option the lower Italian (?) leagues tried of a third card for a sin bin, all yellows shouldn't warrant a sin binning, an accidental collision or something clumsy, down to 10 for 10 minutes is too much of a punishment, but for dissent and cynical fouls (Bannan on Tomlin last night, slide tackle from behind with no intention of trying to win the ball) these sorts of things are what should warrant a sin bin, so a third card should be a better option.

That's the issue: all yellow cards aren't equal in how serious they really are. What if you had a tough tackling, warrior midfielder? He'd be off the pitch 10 minutes per game, and it would take even more aggression out of English football. 

Retroactive punishment for people who have earned yellow cards I'd be fine with, but this would be as disruptive to the game as allowing more than 3 substitutions per match.

As much as rugby is a well-disciplined sport, we don't want football to become rugby (at least I don't, constant stoppages in football would do my head in).

41 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Alternatively, the cynical sort of stuff like diving and time wasting will now carry an immediate consequence.

I think you'll see more diving with sin bins.

The majority of dives get a freekick or penalty, quite often with the innocent player booked for the foul they didn't commit.

Add a sin bin and the team of the diver can get a set piece and a man advantage.

The reward outweighs the risk for them.

40 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

What's wrong with the game?

Lack of respect for referees

Red cards ruin a game and yellows don't do enough

Too many contentious decisions

All of these issues can be improved with methods used in rugby

40 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

The game doesn't adequately punish persistent fouling and 'buying a foul' is perceived as being part of the game when its really stretching professionalism to its limit. Or as I call it, taking the p*ss.

Referees should command respect by having the necessary powers to punish players.

Once implemented, managers and players will just have to deal with the changes.

Agree  100%. 

Will the decision makers have the balls to implement it tho?  :dunno:

50 minutes ago, hodge said:

I prefer the option the lower Italian (?) leagues tried of a third card for a sin bin, all yellows shouldn't warrant a sin binning, an accidental collision or something clumsy, down to 10 for 10 minutes is too much of a punishment, but for dissent and cynical fouls (Bannan on Tomlin last night, slide tackle from behind with no intention of trying to win the ball) these sorts of things are what should warrant a sin bin, so a third card should be a better option.

The Hockey model.  Green card is an official warning, then a yellow is 5 mins in the bin, and red is off for the rest of the game.  Usual rules of two green = a yellow and two yellows = a red.  I think you can have a straight yellow and then a green and be fine.

I'd agree, instead of making Yellows a sin bin card, introduce an orange one (or, in the interests of the colourblind, a blue one) that acts as the sin bin card.

57 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I agree. The only thing I'd like to see changed is when players have to leave the pitch after the physio comes on.

100% with you on this. How can it be right to have a player temporarily removed from the game due to a bad tackle from the opposition......especially when the resulting free kick has also resulted in their players getting back into position?

1 hour ago, WestonRobin said:

space of three or four minutes in the first half. What's to prevent a cynical team, let's say a Warnock type team, from deliberately getting a couple more - *if they were 2 down with 10 minutes to go; would the game then be abandoned? As it would if that number of players were sent off.

* No need to do that against us though! :thumbsup:

He has form for that, and surely Tan is not that much of an idiot to accept fines and points deductions for that level of skulduggery?

1 hour ago, spudski said:

With Subs....I look back to when there used to be only 1 Sub.

How did Clubs manage? How often did teams play with injured players on the pitch? How did you keep players happy if they weren't in the match day 12.

It seems a million miles from now. And it really wasn't that long ago.

I can remember, as many others will, when there were no subs.

Injured players were put out on the wing (younger fans may need an explanation of what wingers were!).  They were put there if they were still standing and breathing!

Archived