IGNORED

Matty Taylor - too much PR spin?

brad blit

Let me start by saying that 300k is a bargain/good deal, he offers a decent backup to Tammy as a quick, hard working, fox in box striker. 

BUT I don't understand the mass hysteria over signing and how much emphasis City have put on this. 

Rovers have only been a rival geographically over recent years and I like most consider Cardiff to be our main rivals because of their playing level. Yes this was the first signing from Rovers for 30years and he was arguably the best player, but is he someone that is dramatically gonna change or enhance us? I would guess no.

At half time yesterday to a quickly evacuating stadium of people wanting another cider, he was announced over tannoy like some marquee signing.... get real! He's a reasonable punt considering his goals and age but it's no guarantee that he will work at this level. Compare to Wednesday who at the same time were close to signing Rhodes from Boro, now that's a signing! Ok yes City have the new strategy and wage budget which I think long term is great for the club, but if Lansdown is serious about the promised land then surely it's better to stop spending little on lots (we are starting to get quite a big squad) and start spending more on less - that way Lee won't have quite so many options and might stop tinkering every match, but that's for another thread.... 

There have been numerous interviews, pictures and articles regarding him but I think it's more clever PR & Marketing from the club in wake of our record 9 game loss, and some people need to wake up and realise that he's not the game changing signing they think it is.

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

Well I've always thought we should cover our signings better but the timing is awful. It looks as if the club's PR team are trying their best to rub salt in the wounds. They've set the precedent now though and need to cover all first team signings like MT. 

I was just going to make that point. As fun as it is you got to feel a bit sorry for players we've spent much more money on, and/or moved countries to play here. They're getting much less a Fanfare Welcome than MT who we triggered a low release clause on and just crossed the river! 

9 minutes ago, brad blit said:

Let me start by saying that 300k is a bargain/good deal, he offers a decent backup to Tammy as a quick, hard working, fox in box striker. 

BUT I don't understand the mass hysteria over signing and how much emphasis City have put on this. 

Rovers have only been a rival geographically over recent years and I like most consider Cardiff to be our main rivals because of their playing level. Yes this was the first signing from Rovers for 30years and he was arguably the best player, but is he someone that is dramatically gonna change or enhance us? I would guess no.

At half time yesterday to a quickly evacuating stadium of people wanting another cider, he was announced over tannoy like some marquee signing.... get real! He's a reasonable punt considering his goals and age but it's no guarantee that he will work at this level. Compare to Wednesday who at the same time were close to signing Rhodes from Boro, now that's a signing! Ok yes City have the new strategy and wage budget which I think long term is great for the club, but if Lansdown is serious about the promised land then surely it's better to stop spending little on lots (we are starting to get quite a big squad) and start spending more on less - that way Lee won't have quite so many options and might stop tinkering every match, but that's for another thread.... 

There have been numerous interviews, pictures and articles regarding him but I think it's more clever PR & Marketing from the club in wake of our record 9 game loss, and some people need to wake up and realise that he's not the game changing signing they think it is.

Good post. Would say its not very clever marketing though. Would like the club to show more class and play down the fact hes ex gas. Leave it to the fans to wind the mutants up i say. 

Can't agree with much of that. And I wouldn't have thought many BCFC fans see Cardiff as bigger rivals. Whether some guy on the loudspeaker shouts and here he is Matty Taylor or not will have absolutely SOD ALL to do with how the rest of this season unfolds. I say let 'em have it

4 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Can't agree with much of that. And I wouldn't have thought many BCFC fans see Cardiff as bigger rivals. Whether some guy on the loudspeaker shouts and here he is Matty Taylor or not will have absolutely SOD ALL to do with how the rest of this season unfolds. I say let 'em have it

and I can't imagine any of our other more expensive signings will be bothered, they'll understand that this is about the local rivalry and the significance of this steal.

The signing has excited a lot of us, cheering us up, helping us look forward to the next match we may otherwise be rather worried about.

If it has had even a fraction of the same affect on the team, it can only help lift their next performance, just when we need it...:fingerscrossed:

30 minutes ago, brad blit said:

That last sentence.. uh, and how would you know this to be true already?

7 minutes ago, Cider_boy said:

and I can't imagine any of our other more expensive signings will be bothered, they'll understand that this is about the local rivalry and the significance of this steal.

The signing has excited a lot of us, cheering us up, helping us look forward to the next match we may otherwise be rather worried about.

If it has had even a fraction of the same affect on the team, it can only help lift their next performance, just when we need it...:fingerscrossed:

Did you read what I said? I was actually saying it was good that he signed and has been bigged up

1 hour ago, brad blit said:

Me neither.

As I said in a previous thread I just cannot feel the excitement and remain underwhelmed.

40 minutes ago, Benjam!n Ultra said:

It's almost like the club is trying deflect attention away from something more pressing. 

Can't think what, or maybe who, though....

Seems to me that with this and the other signings this transfer window that the club are trying to do something about it. LJ is the manager and Lansdown has publicly backed him. Is it not time to wake up to reality? 

Just now, JHAGa said:

We've got one over our rivals and we've not had much to cheer about recently. If the ball was on the other foot, they wouldn't hold back.

Everything has to be turned into a negative on here, jheeze.

Spot on. Drives me mad. This is a guy who's been bagging goals for fun (lower league ,yes but) and we have picked him up for NOTHING really. Oh, well if they want to feel constantly negative about the club  who are we to stop them

The emphasis deflects criticism from LJ make no mistake.

Our fans are happy to get one over on Rovers.

I just want us to survive in the Championship and nowt else matters to me.

Just now, BigTone said:

The emphasis deflects criticism from LJ make no mistake.

Our fans are happy to get one over on Rovers.

I just want us to survive in the Championship and nowt else matters to me.

And you don't think a guy who has a pretty decent goal scoring record would have any effect on the rest of this season, not to mention next?

It's a bit over the top. Funny at the time but club are trying to distract the fans from another winless game. But it is still funny! 

Is this thread for real???

Its the funniest best thing thats happened in years. 

We've got a potentially great striker who only has to score 5-6 goals in the Championship and he'll be worth £2-3 million. Score more and £5-6 million. Score none and we have a striker who we can dump for at least £500,000 in L1. He might even be a hero for BCFC but it's all win win. 

Anyone underwhelmed needs to get a reality check....

It's flipping genius- it's the stuff of legends.

I'm loving it, f****** loving it .

This is every bit as good as the Sir Colin of Mansfield moment , better than "that" Twentyman phone in.

What is happening to you lot?? 

Rejoice.

Archived