IGNORED

Matty Taylor - too much PR spin?

brad blit

1 minute ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Sorry- but yes.

Condensed version: I genuinely hate gas.

And I want us to survive the Championship so we aren't playing the feckers next year. Signing Super Matt does not guarantee this and in all honesty he is nothing special.

1 hour ago, brad blit said:

Let me start by saying that 300k is a bargain/good deal, he offers a decent backup to Tammy as a quick, hard working, fox in box striker. 

BUT I don't understand the mass hysteria over signing and how much emphasis City have put on this. 

Rovers have only been a rival geographically over recent years and I like most consider Cardiff to be our main rivals because of their playing level. Yes this was the first signing from Rovers for 30years and he was arguably the best player, but is he someone that is dramatically gonna change or enhance us? I would guess no.

At half time yesterday to a quickly evacuating stadium of people wanting another cider, he was announced over tannoy like some marquee signing.... get real! He's a reasonable punt considering his goals and age but it's no guarantee that he will work at this level. Compare to Wednesday who at the same time were close to signing Rhodes from Boro, now that's a signing! Ok yes City have the new strategy and wage budget which I think long term is great for the club, but if Lansdown is serious about the promised land then surely it's better to stop spending little on lots (we are starting to get quite a big squad) and start spending more on less - that way Lee won't have quite so many options and might stop tinkering every match, but that's for another thread.... 

There have been numerous interviews, pictures and articles regarding him but I think it's more clever PR & Marketing from the club in wake of our record 9 game loss, and some people need to wake up and realise that he's not the game changing signing they think it is.

fair comment i think it was done to take the heat off you know who

2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

And I want us to survive the Championship so we aren't playing the feckers next year. Signing Super Matt does not guarantee this and in all honesty he is nothing special.

That's exactly what I thought about Matt Smith after 4 games.

Even I will keep an open mind before a player has even got onto the pitch.

1 hour ago, brad blit said:

Let me start by saying that 300k is a bargain/good deal, he offers a decent backup to Tammy as a quick, hard working, fox in box striker. 

BUT I don't understand the mass hysteria over signing and how much emphasis City have put on this. 

Rovers have only been a rival geographically over recent years and I like most consider Cardiff to be our main rivals because of their playing level. Yes this was the first signing from Rovers for 30years and he was arguably the best player, but is he someone that is dramatically gonna change or enhance us? I would guess no.

At half time yesterday to a quickly evacuating stadium of people wanting another cider, he was announced over tannoy like some marquee signing.... get real! He's a reasonable punt considering his goals and age but it's no guarantee that he will work at this level. Compare to Wednesday who at the same time were close to signing Rhodes from Boro, now that's a signing! Ok yes City have the new strategy and wage budget which I think long term is great for the club, but if Lansdown is serious about the promised land then surely it's better to stop spending little on lots (we are starting to get quite a big squad) and start spending more on less - that way Lee won't have quite so many options and might stop tinkering every match, but that's for another thread.... 

There have been numerous interviews, pictures and articles regarding him but I think it's more clever PR & Marketing from the club in wake of our record 9 game loss, and some people need to wake up and realise that he's not the game changing signing they think it is.

I've enjoyed every bloody minute of it..... Effects have warn off now though although i feel slightly better due to last nights draw :)

4 minutes ago, BigTone said:

His name has been on lots of radars this last 12 months or so. Nothing special seems a bit of a weird thing to say

1 minute ago, AppyDAZE said:

His name has been on lots of radars this last 12 months or so. Nothing special seems a bit of a weird thing to say

Exactly so - 67 in 120 is a very special record. 

He's now our player to use as the Manager ( whoever that may be) sees fit. 

I'm delighted.It's one of the best 'no lose' deals in many a year- the fact that it's also humiliating for every gas fan is moist making.

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

Can't agree with much of that. And I wouldn't have thought many BCFC fans see Cardiff as bigger rivals. Whether some guy on the loudspeaker shouts and here he is Matty Taylor or not will have absolutely SOD ALL to do with how the rest of this season unfolds. I say let 'em have it

Ditto, 30 years since this last happened, if we can't have a bit of wind up banter now between the clubs then when can we?

i think it adds a bit of interest to both clubs as everyone in the media is on it and love the rivalry. It's harmless and copying the Tevez bill board with #welcome to Bristol is tounge in cheek marketing

take it for what is I say - good old fashioned rivalry/banter

I'm delighted.It's one of the best 'no lose' deals in many a year- the fact that it's also humiliating for every gas fan is moist making.

You can bet everything you've got .. if he'd gone to a Leeds or a wolves or somewhere.   there'd be people on here saying why the **** didn't we try to get him, after all he wouldn't even have to move home (well, he sort of has to move home now lol  and we know why)

I'm enthusiastic about this signing - and it is funny - but the OP does have a point.

Would we have made such a fuss about a £300k signing from Rochdale? Of course not. Particularly given that we've made much more expensive and higher profile signings already this season that weren't given anywhere near the same fanfare.

It's a fairly obvious attempt to deflect attention away from our poor form and generate some much-needed positive feeling and goodwill from the fanbase - but then I don't really blame the club for trying to do that! It might just prove to be the shot in the arm we all need, regardless of whether he turns out to be a good signing or not.

4 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

You can bet everything you've got .. if he'd gone to a Leeds or a wolves or somewhere.   there'd be people on here saying why the **** didn't we try to get him, after all he wouldn't even have to move home (well, he sort of has to move home now lol  and we know why)

Specifically if everyone knew the price for one of the top most prolific scorers in the FL was £300,000. 

5 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

A third of those games weren't even in the football league, FFS.

Then take his numerous penalties out, his record in the football league is nothing special at all.

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I'm enthusiastic about this signing - and it is funny - but the OP does have a point.

Would we have made such a fuss about a £300k signing from Rochdale? Of course not. Particularly given that we've made much more expensive and higher profile signings already this season that weren't given anywhere near the same fanfare.

It's a fairly obvious attempt to deflect attention away from our poor form and generate some much-needed positive feeling and goodwill from the fanbase - but then I don't really blame the club for trying to do that! It might just prove to be the shot in the arm we all need, regardless of whether he turns out to be a good signing or not.

Yes we would if his record was the same. Any player whose goals had taken a club from Nowhere conference to knocking on the door of the Championship would be welcomed at City.

Jeez.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Then take his numerous penalties out, his record in the football league is nothing special at all.

And where do you think he would have gone in the summer then?   Back to league 2, league 1?  or more the general view , that a championship club would have taken a chance?

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Disagree with that, Graham.

But it's all speculation how good or not he really is. 

I'm open minded- how about you?

Yes we would if his record was the same. Any player whose goals had taken a club from Nowhere conference to knocking on the door of the Championship would be welcomed at City.

Jeez.

Kieran Agard arrived off the back of a season at Rotherham where he scored a lot of goals that enabled them to win promotion. Very similar circumstances to the one you describe. The fanfare was nowhere near this level.

Not quite sure why you're getting so worked up anyway, my post was a pretty balanced assessment and I wasn't criticising the signing.

Picture this headline:  City in No Thanks to Rover goal ace

Bristol city have said no thank you to rovers Goal scoring sensation Matty Taylor...

It is believe the 26 year old was very keen on a move to the better half of the city of Bristol , but BCFC said (an quite rightly) WHAT, a Gashead?  ****ing on yer bike, go and ask Leeds or some other championship club if THEY'll have you

Matt Taylor would have cost a whole lot more if BRFC had not inserted their heads up their posteriors and allowed the bloke to have a one year deal and a 300k release.

Will he make it.? I bloody hope so and so we all do including MT.

There were two things that made me laugh about this.

1 We got him for nothing/peanuts (ironically paid for by Skeletor

2 25% of the 300k goes to FGR.......Hilarious!!

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Absolutely I am.

I think we will have a pretty good idea by May whether he is another Eoin Doyle, Agard or a Goater.

Ian Wright & Jamie Vardy are 2 that did it the hard way from non league and via football league. Can't see this other than a win/win for what we paid. If he bangs in 8-10 by end of season and helps us move up the table then it's good value. If he struggles then it's 300k that we could recoup if we sold him back to L1

1 hour ago, TrowVegasCidered said:

In my view I also wonder if this is a "lansdown" signing.

The way rovers treated the rugby club is disgraceful, rent, taking ground etc. makes one wonder if this was a way for having Rovers back & stunting their growth. I wonder if their is more to this signing.

Honestly have a cold shower and a long word with yourself if you think BRFC did anything to Bristol RFC in regards to the mem.

We signed a business deal with them,we kept the Rugby club that co- owns Ashton gate in business by this deal.Try spinning it whatever why you want, but we never did anything wrong towards Bristol RFC and that is morally and completely factual.

41 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Is this thread for real???

Its the funniest best thing thats happened in years. 

We've got a potentially great striker who only has to score 5-6 goals in the Championship and he'll be worth £2-3 million. Score more and £5-6 million. Score none and we have a striker who we can dump for at least £500,000 in L1. He might even be a hero for BCFC but it's all win win

Anyone underwhelmed needs to get a reality check....

It's flipping genius- it's the stuff of legends.

I'm loving it, f****** loving it .

This is every bit as good as the Sir Colin of Mansfield moment , better than "that" Twentyman phone in.

What is happening to you lot?? 

Rejoice.

When the dust has settled and the (relative) hysteria has died down, it's this point that you've made very well that's the most important. Regardless of what he does, even if he does absolutely nothing for the rest of the season, then he will be worth more than we have paid. We have robbed the robbers!  £300k is absolute peanuts these days and it's basically bought us free money.  On top of managing to piss the Blue Few off royally. What's not to love?! 

10 minutes ago, icegas said:

Honestly have a cold shower and a long word with yourself if you think BRFC did anything to Bristol RFC in regards to the mem.

We signed a business deal with them,we kept the Rugby club that co- owns Ashton gate in business by this deal.Try spinning it whatever why you want, but we never did anything wrong towards Bristol RFC and that is morally and completely factual.

Didn't you acquire the ground for a quid? Something about that I dislike and distrust. 

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Kieran Agard arrived off the back of a season at Rotherham where he scored a lot of goals that enabled them to win promotion. Very similar circumstances to the one you describe. The fanfare was nowhere near this level.

Not quite sure why you're getting so worked up anyway, my post was a pretty balanced assessment and I wasn't criticising the signing.

I think Agard also did pretty well for us in our promotion season. It wasn't just Rotherham.

The fanfare for Matt Taylor is due to the coup of bringing a striker to BCFC who is clearly worth, in current transfer market, at leat £1-2million for maybe 10-20% of market value and at the same time pulling a masterstroke over our bitter rivals. He very possibly could be the striker we so desperately need.

At the same time, a player who would otherwise have been granted almost God like status permanently from his previous club has forsaken all that forever to join the bitter rivals. Fanfare justified IMO.

For once you seem to be missing the whole point- we have signed a potentially very talented player for nothing and have nothing to lose. If it doesn't work out then we'll sell him on for a likely profit, yet if it does work out then how satisfying is that?

16 minutes ago, icegas said:

The rugby club doesn't co-own Ashton Gate.

2 hours ago, brad blit said:

1. He's not quick

2. Doubt many see Cardiff as bigger rivals

3. I'd rather Taylor than a Rhodes who hasn't done a great deal in the last couple of years

4. He deserves a bit of fuss for making such a bold move.

5. At 300k it's a great bit of business weather it works out or not 

Cant believe some of the shite being sprouted here, Kodja late departure left us with a void we were not able to fill, still a L1 side with no natural striker. Tammy is brill, but every option alongside him has not meant we score enough goals to make up for the soft midfield, Matty should now give us that extra dimension, even if he does come from L1 his past performance is way better than Balldock's, so we can only improve from our current form - onwards and upwards COYR

8 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I think Agard also did pretty well for us in our promotion season. It wasn't just Rotherham.

The fanfare for Matt Taylor is due to the coup of bringing a striker to BCFC who is clearly worth, in current transfer market, at leat £1-2million for maybe 10-20% of market value and at the same time pulling a masterstroke over our bitter rivals. He very possibly could be the striker we so desperately need.

At the same time, a player who would otherwise have been granted almost God like status permanently from his previous club has forsaken all that forever to join the bitter rivals. Fanfare justified IMO.

For once you seem to be missing the whole point- we have signed a potentially very talented player for nothing and have nothing to lose. If it doesn't work out then we'll sell him on for a likely profit, yet if it does work out then how satisfying is that?

I'm not missing the point. I agree it's a great bit of business for the club and I haven't said anything contrary to that on this thread. I merely suggested that the fanfare might not have been the same had he signed from Rochdale, and I stand by that. That was in no way a criticism of the signing itself.

24 minutes ago, icegas said:

You stole their stadium like the hazardous vultures you are. You're not Squatters FC for nothing.

Archived