IGNORED

Matty Taylor - too much PR spin?

brad blit

10 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Cant believe some of the shite being sprouted here, Kodja late departure left us with a void we were not able to fill, still a L1 side with no natural striker. Tammy is brill, but every option alongside him has not meant we score enough goals to make up for the soft midfield, Matty should now give us that extra dimension, even if he does come from L1 his past performance is way better than Balldock's, so we can only improve from our current form - onwards and upwards COYR

His past performances are better than Baldocks? The guy who scored 24 league goals for us when we were shit? Dunno about that but hopefully he will be a success.

2 hours ago, RedM said:

I was just going to make that point. As fun as it is you got to feel a bit sorry for players we've spent much more money on, and/or moved countries to play here. They're getting much less a Fanfare Welcome than MT who we triggered a low release clause on and just crossed the river! 

Don't suppose you think a match day stadium music request to welcome Taylor to the Gate is appropriate then?

pity...

I was going to request The Proclaimers - 500 Miles  -  hmm, maybe that would be taking things a bit too far eh?

1 minute ago, WhistleHappy said:

Don't suppose you think a match day stadium music request to welcome Taylor to the Gate is appropriate then?

pity...

I was going to request The Proclaimers - 500 Miles  -  hmm, maybe that would be taking things a bit too far eh?

About 495 miles too far. Ish. 

5 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

His past performances are better than Baldocks? The guy who scored 24 league goals for us when we were shit? Dunno about that but hopefully he will be a success.

Baldock's highest league total for City was 23, in L1, and we finished that season 12th.

Taylor's got 16 at the same level (in a genuinely shit team) by the end of January.

Who knows how Taylor will fare at City, but every reason to believe he is at least the equal of the often over rated Baldock.

6 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

About 495 miles too far. Ish. 

Technically yeah, ..... but he did come from 'across the water'  that's gotta count for something... then, don't forget his journey was undertaken on an Ashton Gate match day ... 5 'ish early evening miles across town in Bristol traffic, with Metrobus work disruptions everywhere feels more like 495miles at least.. so I proclaim the man is a hero, epic!  He deserves a fanfare for that alone. :) 

2 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

You can bet everything you've got .. if he'd gone to a Leeds or a wolves or somewhere.   there'd be people on here saying why the **** didn't we try to get him, after all he wouldn't even have to move home (well, he sort of has to move home now lol  and we know why)

If I was being given such a large pay rise the 1st thing id be doing is buying a bigger house in a nicer area anyways so no biggy that he may have to move.

2 hours ago, icegas said:

Honestly have a cold shower and a long word with yourself if you think BRFC did anything to Bristol RFC in regards to the mem.

We signed a business deal with them,we kept the Rugby club that co- owns Ashton gate in business by this deal.Try spinning it whatever why you want, but we never did anything wrong towards Bristol RFC and that is morally and completely factual.

The rugby club chairman wasn't immediately made a life president of the football club immediately after the deal went through then?

Not sure about you but that doesn't seem morally correct to me.

I do have to laugh, a Rovers fan speaking about Morals. 

2 hours ago, icegas said:

Honestly have a cold shower and a long word with yourself if you think BRFC did anything to Bristol RFC in regards to the mem.

We signed a business deal with them,we kept the Rugby club that co- owns Ashton gate (Plane Wrong) in business by this deal.Try spinning it whatever why you want, but we never did anything wrong towards Bristol RFC and that is morally and completely factual.

I think you brush over rather a lot here. However, BRFC did nothing illegal!...Immoral, who are we to judge!

Nevertheless things have moved on. Bristol Rugby is at AG and most I know are happy with that. 

Rovers are now seriously suffering from being at a Memorial Ground  that s now officially the Memorial Gates Stadium and no one to sell them to.

Hopefully if the ground does get sold to a random Superstore they will be repatriated to AG as a lasting memorial to fallen Rugby Players of Bristol...Or maybe a cart dispenser!?

9 hours ago, brad blit said:

Let me start by saying that 300k is a bargain/good deal, he offers a decent backup to Tammy as a quick, hard working, fox in box striker. 

BUT I don't understand the mass hysteria over signing and how much emphasis City have put on this. 

Rovers have only been a rival geographically over recent years and I like most consider Cardiff to be our main rivals because of their playing level. Yes this was the first signing from Rovers for 30years and he was arguably the best player, but is he someone that is dramatically gonna change or enhance us? I would guess no.

At half time yesterday to a quickly evacuating stadium of people wanting another cider, he was announced over tannoy like some marquee signing.... get real! He's a reasonable punt considering his goals and age but it's no guarantee that he will work at this level. Compare to Wednesday who at the same time were close to signing Rhodes from Boro, now that's a signing! Ok yes City have the new strategy and wage budget which I think long term is great for the club, but if Lansdown is serious about the promised land then surely it's better to stop spending little on lots (we are starting to get quite a big squad) and start spending more on less - that way Lee won't have quite so many options and might stop tinkering every match, but that's for another thread.... 

There have been numerous interviews, pictures and articles regarding him but I think it's more clever PR & Marketing from the club in wake of our record 9 game loss, and some people need to wake up and realise that he's not the game changing signing they think it is.

With the low price paid I can't help but think this is a signing with just a glance towards what is the reality of us possibly "taking the plunge" into League one..

Its zero cash(virtually)in football terms,and we know he can get a few at the lower level-if he snatches two or three goals from the bench this season this will be a bonus,plus provides another option to throw into the mix...a no brainer...

7 hours ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

1. He's not quick

2. Doubt many see Cardiff as bigger rivals

3. I'd rather Taylor than a Rhodes who hasn't done a great deal in the last couple of years

4. He deserves a bit of fuss for making such a bold move.

5. At 300k it's a great bit of business weather it works out or not 

300k,of course a gift..

Better than Rhodes at Championship level..?..have a word.

8 hours ago, dave36 said:

Cant believe some of the shite being sprouted here, Kodja late departure left us with a void we were not able to fill, still a L1 side with no natural striker. Tammy is brill, but every option alongside him has not meant we score enough goals to make up for the soft midfield, Matty should now give us that extra dimension, even if he does come from L1 his past performance is way better than Balldock's, so we can only improve from our current form - onwards and upwards COYR

and Tammy may not be here next season......a point I think that is being forgotten here amongst all the euphoria, my mate is a dyed in the wool gashead and is philosophical about Matts move and reckons we have got the biggest bargain in years..................:clap::city:

9 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Matt Taylor would have cost a whole lot more if BRFC had not inserted their heads up their posteriors and allowed the bloke to have a one year deal and a 300k release.

Will he make it.? I bloody hope so and so we all do including MT.

There were two things that made me laugh about this.

1 We got him for nothing/peanuts (ironically paid for by Skeletor

2 25% of the 300k goes to FGR.......Hilarious!!

He wasn't our player in the summer though, so to 'keep' him we had to agree something. He was a free agent and had we not agreed the deal I am sure he would have remained a free agent and someone would eventually have signed him.

He apparently had shook hands on a deal at Oxford before signing back with us

300k for a player with 19 goals in a whole season in League One would be considered peanuts; that in January for someone who has done that in half a season is daylight robbery on our part.

Yes; he might not handle the step up, but then if he doesn't, it is a low risk and low cost gamble at a time when we could do with a few 'clubs in the bag' to see what might get us out of bother.

If we scored a few, and helps us stay in the league, it'll look like a master stroke; if he doesn't hit the ground running, and/or we maybe go down, he's shown he can perform at that level - grim to think we'd go down, but we'd end up paying three times that for a striker with his record if we did (just look what we made off Agard from MK).

The fact it has sags wailing and gnashing their teeth is just a bonus; his signing would be good business regardless.

And ignoring that; he's nearly 27 and has spent his career in non-league/lower leagues - he's going to have something to prove, so I think that will count on our favour.

Hope he grabs a goal or two on debut, both as might help us to three points and for the cross-city craic.

5 minutes ago, shelts said:

Don't believe it's just a publicity stunt to rub their noses in it.

I do.  Would we have all this PR if he'd been signed from Scunthorpe with exactly the same record?  I think we all know the answer to that.  Having said that, its good to rub their noses in it.

City has also used it to cover for all the recent shenanigans.

8 minutes ago, cynic said:

I don't believe for a second that its a 300k publicity stunt.

As you say any other signing wouldn't have got the coverage MT has got, and it came at a convenient time to alleviate the bad run we were on, but it was a steal at 300k and thats the primary reasoning imo.

But hey, lets enjoy pulling their pants down.

Agreed it's not a 300k publicity stunt.  But the club have made wayyy too much of it. I'm not even sure Tomlin got this amount of coverage when he signed perm.

However, FTG!

3 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

I do.  Would we have all this PR if he'd been signed from Scunthorpe with exactly the same record?  I think we all know the answer to that.  Having said that, its good to rub their noses in it.

City has also used it to cover for all the recent shenanigans.

Agree to disagree . Great pr yes . Good player who can score . Gave us a lift granted. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/01/the-fiver-matty-taylor-bristol-city-rovers?CMP=share_btn_tw

worth reading for this quote alone :

“Matty had made it very clear that he wanted this move and we are not the kind of club that will stand in the way when a player has made up his mind,” said chairman Steve Hamer, admittedly demonstrating questionable understanding of how release clauses work.

49 minutes ago, Padlad said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/01/the-fiver-matty-taylor-bristol-city-rovers?CMP=share_btn_tw

worth reading for this quote alone :

“Matty had made it very clear that he wanted this move and we are not the kind of club that will stand in the way when a player has made up his mind,” said chairman Steve Hamer, admittedly demonstrating questionable understanding of how release clauses work.

Thing is that doesn't provide context. Just because you met the fee didn't necessarily mean Taylor had to go if he didn't want to and we had to drive him to you

By all accounts we tried to convince him to stay, but he preferred your offer. I think that is what Steve Hamer is referring too

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Thinking about it now, it's has comparisons to how the club went massively OTT for the Marcus Stewart signing

Keep them all the same, pictures with the shirt etc, but to video and post his medical etc is a bit odd- It's only Matt Taylor after all

do you think scotty murray and his sense of humour played a part?? i do.and ive enjoyed listening to some gas at work calling taylor every name under the sun with it :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, Hello said:

He wasn't our player in the summer though, so to 'keep' him we had to agree something. He was a free agent and had we not agreed the deal I am sure he would have remained a free agent and someone would eventually have signed him.

He apparently had shook hands on a deal at Oxford before signing back with us

Hi Hello. Yes you are of course correct.And a difficult situation to be in.  Where Rovers blew it was to allow that situation to occur last summer.

A Freemansque issue obviously, nevertheless to allow the club and player to run down that original contract to within a year of termination before last summer allowed the successive sequence of events.

19 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

And you don't think a guy who has a pretty decent goal scoring record would have any effect on the rest of this season, not to mention next?

I think Dave Cotterill's return will be more key personally...

...providing he's permitted to go wide in the final third...:whistle:

Archived