IGNORED

Sorry is the hardest word

Marina's Rolls Royce

2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

So on 57 mins, I look down for my seat in the Lansdown stand to see three players getting ready to come on. What???? Surely not- I must be wrong?Yet a minute later all three come on in a literally breathtaking move.

Then the boos, the "don't know what you're doing" starts and all of a sudden a guy runs down the gantry ( from another block) next to where I sit at the bottom of the stand and launches a screaming blistering attack on LJ. He was incandescent, furious, very loud  and .... shall we say- 'somewhat unforgiving'.

Now, in all my time of going to watch my team, I've never ever taken to task another fan who verbally attacks our team. In the split second that the subs came on, I just thought wow just wow, WTF? But then just as quick, I thought well Tomlin has been pointless ( awful on this occasion) Tammy not looking like scoring so I sort of get it. I was desperate to see Matty make his debut and at 0-0 guessed we didn't have much to lose. A draw is a defeat v Rotherham.

So, I stand up and start saying to this fan " just let's wait and see- you don't know it's lost us the game, etc" He would not listen and had made his mind up and remained furious . " Give it a chance, mate" but he wasn't having it. People around me were a bit concerned something might kick off but he went back to his block.

14 minutes later after a much improved work rate, Milan scores the winner after good work from the other subs. After I stop jumping like a loon and hugging my kids, there's a tap on my shoulder and it's the angry fan. He puts out his hand and shakes mine and says " I'm sorry- I was wrong" and gives me a hug. My kids thought it was brilliant and the guy next to me said " it takes a man to say that- fair play to him".

I just wish that fans on OTIB could sometimes do the same. Just man up and say when you've made the wrong call. We won a match, we've drawn a match yet there is still an undercurrent of personal abuse towards LJ on here that is so polarised and usually the same posters that I'm left with the impression that losing is better because it will prove their vindictive positions right.

I'm not saying that everything's now ok because it most certainly isn't but credit where credit is due- Lee made changes and we win the match. Well done City, well done Lee.

Well like you I had almost the same conversation as with a guy sat behind me in corner of SS and he was screaming all sorts at LJ. I said if the subs don't work out then say what you want at the end. As it panned out they made a big difference and helped us win the game. Tbf he did say he was wrong at the end so perhaps a few more should be eating humble pie today?

So on 57 mins, I look down for my seat in the Lansdown stand to see three players getting ready to come on. What???? Surely not- I must be wrong?Yet a minute later all three come on in a literally breathtaking move.

Then the boos, the "don't know what you're doing" starts and all of a sudden a guy runs down the gantry ( from another block) next to where I sit at the bottom of the stand and launches a screaming blistering attack on LJ. He was incandescent, furious, very loud  and .... shall we say- 'somewhat unforgiving'.

Now, in all my time of going to watch my team, I've never ever taken to task another fan who verbally attacks our team. In the split second that the subs came on, I just thought wow just wow, WTF? But then just as quick, I thought well Tomlin has been pointless ( awful on this occasion) Tammy not looking like scoring so I sort of get it. I was desperate to see Matty make his debut and at 0-0 guessed we didn't have much to lose. A draw is a defeat v Rotherham.

So, I stand up and start saying to this fan " just let's wait and see- you don't know it's lost us the game, etc" He would not listen and had made his mind up and remained furious . " Give it a chance, mate" but he wasn't having it. People around me were a bit concerned something might kick off but he went back to his block.

14 minutes later after a much improved work rate, Milan scores the winner after good work from the other subs. After I stop jumping like a loon and hugging my kids, there's a tap on my shoulder and it's the angry fan. He puts out his hand and shakes mine and says " I'm sorry- I was wrong" and gives me a hug. My kids thought it was brilliant and the guy next to me said " it takes a man to say that- fair play to him".

I just wish that fans on OTIB could sometimes do the same. Just man up and say when you've made the wrong call. We won a match, we've drawn a match yet there is still an undercurrent of personal abuse towards LJ on here that is so polarised and usually the same posters that I'm left with the impression that losing is better because it will prove their vindictive positions right.

I'm not saying that everything's now ok because it most certainly isn't but credit where credit is due- Lee made changes and we win the match. Well done City, well done Lee.

Brilliant post.

Just like the opposition party in politics it's easy to sit and criticise when you aren't the one doing the job. The funny thing where our dissenting fans are concerned is that they won't admit they were wrong booing the substitutions because then the starting line up was wrong! But given the chance to choose a line up most of those fans would have started Abraham and Tomlin which didn't work!

I love a bit of Elton on a Sunday morning. And Steve Wright's Sunday Love Songs.

The perfect antidote to a Saturday in BS3.

Good on you for posting this and good on the bloke for his response. I guess we all get frustrated.

Amusing though that the same old posters come on and try and justify their views. And as for chanting you don't know what you're doing....

Christ alive. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. That triple substitution was badly needed. Might have been the last roll of the dice but he rolled them, took off 2 of the fans favourites and might, just might, have saved our season.

my ONLY criticism is it could have been sooner half time maybe?

1 hour ago, screech said:

Well I said LJ should have been sacked just for that first half alone.

We never stretch a side, all our attacking is slow with our forwards facing our own keeper, nothing is slid down a channel to turn defenders and the ability to support our front line is woefully bad. We must be one of the easiest teams to play against.

However, the introduction of the subs suddenly changed that and we got to see just how pitiful Rotherhams defence actually was, we had a runner off Djuric in Taylor and those two with the added energy of Patterson showed we can get at a defence if the support in numbers is there. Dave Cotterill although good yesterday, deserved so much more support from his colleagues when attacking, looking around to see where everyone was.

I'm sorry but Johnson is not the man for me, yes it changed with the subs but come on, we played Rotherham yesterday and for 55 minutes we never stretched them, they actually had the two best chances by doing just that, sliding a ball down the wing, quick crosses and with our defence facing our goal almost grabbed a goal or two. Why the Fk can't we attack them with speed and get in their faces by closing them down and have their defence facing their own goal, everything is played in front of them. I honestly think he believes we need to find some kind of percentage based game that possession no matter what or where, will win us games. It's a lazy stat to throw at people when things are not going well. Stretching teams and finding weakspots is not from an a age of dinosaur tactics, it drags players out position and creates uncertainty, opportunities for smart players to expoit.

But congratulations anyway is in order for the change, whether it was a last throw of a dice from a desperate situation or it was the result of a tactical masterplan nobody but our bench will know, but I will say this, more of that last 35 minutes please Mr Johnson, because if we go into the rest of the season with that uber cautious outlook we will be sitting one place above Rotherham in May.

Excellent post

15 minutes ago, Citychuds said:

Brilliant post.

Just like the opposition party in politics it's easy to sit and criticise when you aren't the one doing the job. The funny thing where our dissenting fans are concerned is that they won't admit they were wrong booing the substitutions because then the starting line up was wrong! But given the chance to choose a line up most of those fans would have started Abraham and Tomlin which didn't work!

Totally agree.

Find it incredibly arrogant of people with no experience of professional football (other than watching) to state that those who have spent their lives in the game "haven't got a clue" or "don't know what you're doing".

We started one up top at home against the worst team in the league. 

The game was crying out for 2 up so it was a relief to see the subs. 

The "don't know what your doing" chant would of been more apt when the starting 11 was named.

The substitutions were 100% correct.

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

The part where we took all 3 points is acceptable. I'm not delusional.

I do wonder though that by changing a Manager at this stage ( no more transfers/someone else's team etc) and expecting some miraculous turn around is just as delusional. It's an equally big gamble to change now as it is to keep him for a few more games to see if the losing run has been reversed. IMO.

Just give the head coach job to Pembo and be done with it .

Sorry for what... ok LJ's subs help win the game. good call... or was it....

For me a resounding no. We set up in the most appalling way. We played woefully. We struggled to beat probably the worse team in Championship history.... The quality of the football comes from the manager and he is not upto it.... i would revisit this debate after our next 4 games... if we play like that in those games we will be in the bottom 3 before our next home game... LJ got lucky yesterday.....It could be a season defining moment... lets hope so. BUT I fear it is the beginning of the end......sorry guys.

2 hours ago, Swede said:

Top post.

I said to a few friends that the three substitutions, whilst unpopular at the time, made the difference.

We saw a different side to LJ's character, he demonstrated that he's not afraid to make these tough decisions.

The criticism is why did we set up like this in the first place. I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but he's alluded to managing Tomlin through his bout of sickness which must still affect his fitness so why not play Paterson & to get two games in a week out of Litts seems to be a problem so why not play Vyner instead?

He did say that the subs would make the difference and he has been proved correct.

Rotherham were never going to lay down and succombe to a 4.0 defeat especially given the run we've been on, which is what we all demanded as fans.

I  WANT him to suceed but can't help feeling that the criticsm is mounting for him with every disappointment and I can't see that waning.

I have to say I was baffled by the substitutions at the time. As it happened, the 3 subs combined for the winner. Is that fair play LJ for making the subs? Or is it more like, get the team right at kick off time rather than a desperate move with 15 minutes to go? 

My view is probably the latter. How many games have we scored in the first half? Not many for sure, so its usually once the original team and or formation has been changed is when we score in games.

3 minutes ago, supercidered said:

I have to say I was baffled by the substitutions at the time. As it happened, the 3 subs combined for the winner. Is that fair play LJ for making the subs? Or is it more like, get the team right at kick off time rather than a desperate move with 15 minutes to go? 

My view is probably the latter. How many games have we scored in the first half? Not many for sure, so its usually once the original team and or formation has been changed is when we score in games.

A desperate move with 15 minutes to go in the 58th minute?

1 hour ago, Engvall's Splinter said:

I boo'd the substitution of Abraham. Yes he was off the pace but mainly owing to ploughing a lone isolated furrow. For me it was more fear that we were taking off our only goal threat to replace him with championship unknowns. Djuric hasn't looked the sort of players to nick a winner (yet) and Taylor hasn't played at this level. 

Taking off our only goal threat against our relegation rivals. 

People suggest it was a master stroke. Fair play to him it worked. Yet I'm sure if we'd of had two up front from the off, it would've been a happier day. 

The gesturing towards the West Stand by LJ after we scored was almost Pardew cringeworthy like. I'd suggest keeping ones beak down until we're a few wins in. 

Questions are being raised, frustrations aired and rightfully so. 

Itll take more than a win against a side who looked more suitable up the Downs for the tide to turn. 

Looking forward to him turning it though. So I can be proved wrong. 

Yeah, I didn't really perceive it as booing because we were making three subs in one go. I didn't hear anything until Tammy started coming off, that's what seemed to get most people's backs up. 

I think that Rotherham seen us as a easy target and a chance to get some points,they knew we would be vulnerable and edgy... They had two ex players on the pitch who were trying to make a point... Tomlin had a bad game and it affected Tammy,s game....With hindsight Lee Johnson made the right call even if he made the wrong call in the first place but seen it and put it right. I would have started the game with two up front at the the expense of having two holding midfield  players and said so before the game....Thought Cotterill and Taylor was immense yesterday and will worry defences and we will start picking up points soon starting with Derby next week 

3 minutes ago, kevthered said:

I think that Rotherham seen us as a easy target and a chance to get some points,they knew we would be vulnerable and edgy... They had two ex players on the pitch who were trying to make a point... Tomlin had a bad game and it affected Tammy,s game....With hindsight Lee Johnson made the right call even if he made the wrong call in the first place but seen it and put it right. I would have started the game with two up front at the the expense of having two holding midfield  players and said so before the game....Thought Cotterill and Taylor was immense yesterday and will worry defences and we will start picking up points soon starting with Derby next week 

Cotterill and Taylor were both excellent. What I think we needed earlier in the season.

What I'm not certain about is how the team can play the likes of Cotterill, Taylor, Tomlin and Tammy from the start or in the same team. 

Shame.

1 hour ago, Engvall's Splinter said:

The fans are well within their rights to show frustration. We've won 1 league game in 10. 

Does being frustrated make straight up abuse to someone OK?

I doubt there is a single City fan who isn't frustrated given our run, I've been frustrated at work recently, I didn't start going around hurling abuse at others.

17 minutes ago, kevthered said:

Who were the two ex-players, excuse my ignorance?  ROD and who else?

3 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Now the game is over, maybe he can seek some anger management. 

I didn't boo when Tammy was subbed for Milan. My frustration with LJ yesterday was that Taylor and Tammy should have started as a pair with Milan to come on if either tired . It was so plainly obvious that Tammy as a lone striker wasn't going to work because it hasn't all season . I think the fans unhappiness with the set up we had for 70 mins was as much a cause of their reaction yesterday day as Tammy being pulled off . LJ got this right BUT we should have started with that formation ! 

4 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Great post. Some of the abuse is counter productive now

1 hour ago, RedSA said:

Yeah, I didn't really perceive it as booing because we were making three subs in one go. I didn't hear anything until Tammy started coming off, that's what seemed to get most people's backs up. 

Strange atmos yesterday.I got the impression it was booing for LJ, BUT right up for the team (when we started to play) ,it was really loud at times.

I have been heartened this weekend by two things in particular:

1.  The way the crowd kept supporting the team throughout the game [most of the crowd pro-the team/management]

2.  This thread [a breath of fresh air amidst a lot of negativity]

Even then, there are negative sides including the booing of LJ when he made the subs.  He explained after the game that the players were not having the desired impact.  One or more were only part-fit.  Whatever you say, LJ was shown to be correct with the subs.  The negative fans should appreciate that.

A further negative has been the continued anti-LJ comments on R Bristol.  The general consensus a week ago from the phone-in, which I didn't agree with, was minimum 4 points from two home games.  The team and management have combined to deliver.  Yet the negative people conveniently tuck that under the carpet and start on about the next 4 aways - how are we going to get points?  I humbly suggest they wait and see!

COYR!

1 hour ago, Blagdon Mike said:

I have been heartened this weekend by two things in particular:

1.  The way the crowd kept supporting the team throughout the game [most of the crowd pro-the team/management]

2.  This thread [a breath of fresh air amidst a lot of negativity]

Even then, there are negative sides including the booing of LJ when he made the subs.  He explained after the game that the players were not having the desired impact.  One or more were only part-fit.  Whatever you say, LJ was shown to be correct with the subs.  The negative fans should appreciate that.

A further negative has been the continued anti-LJ comments on R Bristol.  The general consensus a week ago from the phone-in, which I didn't agree with, was minimum 4 points from two home games.  The team and management have combined to deliver.  Yet the negative people conveniently tuck that under the carpet and start on about the next 4 aways - how are we going to get points?  I humbly suggest they wait and see!

COYR!

To add a little more negativity - we got lucky against a team that has conceded 16 more goals than any other team in the championship. The subs did brighten the mood for a short period but we hardly looked like scoring again. WhistleHappy is right, we are in a dire situation and a single goal victory doesn't disguise this. The RB whinge brigade probably expected 4 points to come from a performance that gives optimism, not one which confirms we can just about beat one of the worst teams to ever play in the Championship

Archived