IGNORED

1989-90 promotion highlights

1960maaan

4 minutes ago, Offside said:

That footage brings back so many memories from that season. Gavin's trickery. Smith's pace. Rennie's calmness. Taylor's goals. Shelton's grit. The excitement of standing behind the goal in the East End (I was 16 at the the time and loved every minute).

I had completely forgotten about us getting thumped in the cup at Cambridge. Most vivid memory - when Taylor stroked the ball into the empty net vs Swindon.

I'd forgotten Cambridge too. John Taylor and Dion Dublin destroyed us

15 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Rod from Eastenders - I remember that story! Argh the 3-0 at Trumpton was horrible. And then I seem to remember after our last home game of the season, a wave of joy began to go around the ground as a rumour spread that Rovers had lost. It was false...

I remember spotting him in Raleigh Rd before the match. What a soggy day that was if my memory serves me right.

I love the muddy pitches as well. I remember thinking that how muddy a player got was a reflection on how hard he'd worked.

I'd forgotten that Nicky Morgan signed for us during that season. His goal against Blackburn early the following season is one of my favourite ever goals. Great player.

5 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I'd forgotten Cambridge too. John Taylor and Dion Dublin destroyed us

Don't remind me, went both times. One mate was working in Plymouth and drove up on his own, have a horrible feeling that may have been for the 5-1.

2 hours ago, Offside said:

I love the muddy pitches as well. I remember thinking that how muddy a player got was a reflection on how hard he'd worked.

I'd forgotten that Nicky Morgan signed for us during that season. His goal against Blackburn early the following season is one of my favourite ever goals. Great player.

Was'nt the Blackburn game the first game of season at home.I remember taking my missus in the park end and it was heavin,you couldnt move.She left after ten minutes and i saw rest of game on my own.

I think Blackburn scored first through a guy called Gayle and we came back and won with Bob Taylor getting a couple of goals.

1 minute ago, FramptonRed said:

Was'nt the Blackburn game the first game of season at home.I remember taking my missus in the park end and it was heavin,you couldnt move.She left after ten minutes and i saw rest of game on my own.

I think Blackburn scored first through a guy called Gayle and we came back and won with Bob Taylor getting a couple of goals.

Yes I think it was. Pretty sure one of their goals was offside. Very good game if I recall.

21 hours ago, ThOmO said:

Something I don't see in the modern game , the flick header at the near post on corners.

was really prevalent in the late 80,s and effective

Bring back the near post flick, with our big boys would be pretty effective I think 

Like this! https://thenatchwall.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/flick.pdf From The Bountyhunter August 2015

A week or so before the rovers game Joe Jordan came and re opened our youth club (my mates uncle was vice chairman Leslie Kew who was there as well) 

It was supposed to be one or two of the playing staff but Joe opted to do it himself  - a very shy and quite awkward appearance but he will always be a hero to me 

I was well and truely hooked to city but the gas defeat and them winning league felt like a massive anti climax, even though we got the runners up spot

23 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Weird ! I was at all those games, and yet I can only remember a few....Swansea, Chelsea Crewe and Walsall  the est a total blank! The away games Tottle mentioned ,I can remember all those...but home ? nah.

P.S. I was looking out for Walshy, had to check... he left that pre-season.

Probably the season i watched most - still not many - because I played or trained on those days of the week.

But remember Fulham, Orient and Crewe well

That Fulham game we were outstanding.  Gavin and Smith were unplayable, and Iain Ferguson was a clever player.  Not to mention BBSB.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Probably the season i watched most - still not many - because I played or trained on those days of the week.

But remember Fulham, Orient and Crewe well

That Fulham game we were outstanding.  Gavin and Smith were unplayable, and Iain Ferguson was a clever player.  Not to mention BBSB.

My favourite season even though it was probably my 2nd full one at the age of 15

Paul Wimbleton I can remember quite well but looking at his record he only played 16 times for us - sold him mid season?

less of a squad game then

I can remember 

Sinclair and leaning, but can't remember rotation

bailey, Llewelyn full backs 

who were centre halves rob Newman although he could play anywhere and?

shelts, rennie, gavin, smith midfield 4

taylor, turner and Morgan late on

cant remember Iain Ferguson at all

thanks for posting this, does anyone have any more knowledge?

6 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

And Dave Rennie....you can't beat a bit of mad monkery.

Wasn't a massive Rennie fan if I'm honest Mike - undoubtedly showed touches of class but could be very frustrating and I felt he went hiding at times when the going got tough , especially after promotion

Sure I'm in a minority with this !

TBf Rennie and Shelts complimented each other well 

1 hour ago, Rossi the Robin said:

My favourite season even though it was probably my 2nd full one at the age of 15

Paul Wimbleton I can remember quite well but looking at his record he only played 16 times for us - sold him mid season?

less of a squad game then

I can remember 

Sinclair and leaning, but can't remember rotation

bailey, Llewelyn full backs 

who were centre halves rob Newman although he could play anywhere and?

shelts, rennie, gavin, smith midfield 4

taylor, turner and Morgan late on

cant remember Iain Ferguson at all

thanks for posting this, does anyone have any more knowledge?

You've forgotten Psycho

Glen Humphries ;)

Ferguson was slight but as @Davefevssaid skilful / clever , came on loan from Hearts for a dozen games or so

5 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Did he? Blimey, age is a terrible thing!

I went to every game too, apart from Chester at home.

Maybe we actually signed him that season but he was suspended for a few months (Highly Likely !!! ;) )

Nasty bit of work 

Got done a few years back for pushing a female TV reporter down some steps 

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Maybe we actually signed him that season but he was suspended for a few months (Highly Likely !!! ;) )

Nasty bit of work 

Shit after dinner speaker too.

if he said "when I was captain of Leeds Utd' once he said it a thousand times....I just don't have the words to express how much I like this post!!

Alex Lockhart, the old City Physio was quite good value at end of season do's.

5 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Nasty bit of work 

I remember him almost taking Trevor Francis apart at Hillsborough in about 1991!

1 hour ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I remember him almost taking Trevor Francis apart at Hillsborough in about 1991!

I seem to remember being asked to leave as our singing was ruining their celebrations. Got our coach to stop just down the road and watched it again on midweek sports special. 

That challenge would be a jail term now.

Its interesting that the 89/90 squads are revered so much by both clubs. Two great squads rammed with proper characters but more importantly, some excellent players.

Bob Taylor and Rob Newman always stood out for me, although I'd say Holloway & Yates were equally as good. 

A lot of players from these squads played top flight.

A very strong division that season as well. Tranmere, Notts County & Reading all great teams.

Archived