IGNORED

1989-90 promotion highlights

1960maaan

On 2/7/2017 at 17:42, 22A said:

Another ever present that season was Londoner Rob Newman, the Captain. He had spent ten years with City and thus had seen the whole gamut of the turbulent eighties; three relegations, two promotions and four good runs in three different cup competitions. He was granted a testimonial during the 1990/91 season.

Londoner?

Thought Rob Newman was born in Bradford on Avon?

20 hours ago, Rossi the Robin said:

My favourite season even though it was probably my 2nd full one at the age of 15

Paul Wimbleton I can remember quite well but looking at his record he only played 16 times for us - sold him mid season?

less of a squad game then

I can remember 

Sinclair and leaning, but can't remember rotation

bailey, Llewelyn full backs 

who were centre halves rob Newman although he could play anywhere and?

shelts, rennie, gavin, smith midfield 4

taylor, turner and Morgan late on

cant remember Iain Ferguson at all

thanks for posting this, does anyone have any more knowledge?

It's funny how you forget things. I could've sworn our main goalie that season was Keith Welch or Keith Waugh. And where did Mark Prudhoe fit in? He was the first keeper I ever saw who did the whole 'roll the ball out of the area before kicking it' routine. I thought that was groundbreaking!

And yes...Ian Ferguson. I remember him - he had a good touch. That's why I was surprised when I saw people on here saying that Iain Baird was rubbish. I must've mixed up my Iains!

10 hours ago, AlfieBiggs said:

Its interesting that the 89/90 squads are revered so much by both clubs. Two great squads rammed with proper characters but more importantly, some excellent players.

Bob Taylor and Rob Newman always stood out for me, although I'd say Holloway & Yates were equally as good. 

A lot of players from these squads played top flight.

A very strong division that season as well. Tranmere, Notts County & Reading all great teams.

I'd have to put a counter argument to that, leaving bias aside. Yates was not much more than a plugger - I don't remember him scoring 30 yard free-kicks like Biff or spraying passes about. He kicked Bob in the teeth once, but that wasn't a skill. And Holloway was good at running and tackling but not that much else. It's not myopic to say we had the far superior players but they had a nasty home ground, backs-against-the-wall-mentality (gosh, that's gone) and team spirit greater than ours, even though ours was terrific. But equating Yates' Wine Lodge or Hollowhead - or any of theirs bar possibly Gary Pancake - with any of our players in terms of skill is way off for me.

Like I say, no bias, mind.

24 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

I'd have to put a counter argument to that, leaving bias aside. Yates was not much more than a plugger - I don't remember him scoring 30 yard free-kicks like Biff or spraying passes about. He kicked Bob in the teeth once, but that wasn't a skill. And Holloway was good at running and tackling but not that much else. It's not myopic to say we had the far superior players but they had a nasty home ground, backs-against-the-wall-mentality (gosh, that's gone) and team spirit greater than ours, even though ours was terrific. But equating Yates' Wine Lodge or Hollowhead - or any of theirs bar possibly Gary Pancake - with any of our players in terms of skill is way off for me.

If you look through their squad and our squad from that season you notice the difference in styles. Results wise as well, they were hard working, defensive and long ball merchants with White up front. We were fairly expansive, could hammer a team and could get a hammering ourselves, unforunately the Rovers/Wimbledon style back then was popular and the reason they pipped us to the league on that small pitch of theirs. Fair play to them though, it worked.

1 hour ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Twentyman was our plugger. Yates was lightning quick and an excellent man marker & played in the top flight. He had Andy Cole in his back pocket in the early 90s. And Holloway was a great all round midfielder also had many top flight games. 

But you're right, it was more the team spirit & never say die attitude that won it for us, along with incredible home form. We also won 6 games on the trot 2-1 all of which were come from behind wins if I recall correctly.

Really strong sides that season.

Being at Trumpton helped Rovers, perversely. 4 or 5 thousand at Eastville were lost, barely seen let alone heard. Even in a "big" crowd at Eastville, I cannot recall hearing them sing or making any great noise to speak of. Did they sing Irene back there? No idea. Eastville atmosphere? Not that I remember - the last derby there the capacity was limited to about 9 or 10k, and about 4500 of that crowd was us!

But at Trumpton, 3500 - 4000 could make themselves heard. The crowd at Trumpton were right on top, or right beside, shall we say, the pitch, and from the away end there, we had the doubly unpleasant experience of being able to hear them - to our right, under a low roof - and see the scruffy ****ers. You could literally reach out and twiddle Alexander/Twentyman/Penrice/Purnell/Martin's hairy moustache, should you have so desired.

I do, unfortunately, recall hearing them at Trumpton.

It must've been unpleasant, too, for visiting teams no doubt - the Sunday morning league pitch/facilities, the agricultural up-and-at-em football, the claustrophobic feel of the place, the unpleasant sensation of Kingswood/Cadbury Heath/Fishponds types breathing down the fullback/wideman/corner taker's neck....not what you were a pro footballer for.

It would've been better to have lost that 0:3 game at Eastville; we would barely have heard them.

My favourite season too, I went to most home games (usually with KevP) despite living and working in London. Still got the VHS too, in a horrible home-made pink sleeve.

I can still remember the ClubCall number; 0898 12 11 76, no Internet, mobiles or even Radio5Live in those days, Ceefax may have been available but my telly didn't have it, so ClubCall was sometimes the only way to find out scores of evening games.

That Chelsea FA cup game was well scary, went with my friends Alan (Chelsea) & Melanie (Luton) and guess who got hit by a coin thrown by the Chelsea fans on the way out? Yes Alan the Chelsea fan! Remember hordes of Chelsea lunatics trying to batter down the gate from the away end as we were leaving, it was held by one rusty padlock, we didn't hang around to see if it would hold.... We walked right through a full scale riot, totally unscathed, on Ashton Road before the game.

Fabulous attacking play all season with 2 proper wingers but thought we'd blown it when Taylor got injured. Nicky Morgan saved the day though. The end of the season was agonizing, we had 3 or 4 games where we could have got promotion but cocked them all up, including that 3-0 at Trumpton. It was about 2AM when I found out the Reading v Notts County draw that promoted us and I drank a whole bottle of champagne there and then. Not a great idea with work the next day. Never bothered me about Rovers winning the league, promotion was the be-all and end-all for me and it was only Div 3 anyway.

Mark Aizlewood was an absolute head case, my two best mates at that time were Leeds fans and they told me he'd offered out the entire main stand at Elland Road after they'd given him some dog's abuse...and he was playing for Leeds! Apparently he left Leeds very soon after that...

The game at Orient sticks in the mind for some reason, the supporters coaches had got lost, so there were hardly any of us on the away terrace for the first half. Ron Newman smashed home a late equalizer IIRC.

2 hours ago, EnclosureSurge said:

1 hour ago, AlfieBiggs said:

Twentyman was our plugger. Yates was lightning quick and an excellent man marker & played in the top flight. He had Andy Cole in his back pocket in the early 90s. And Holloway was a great all round midfielder also had many top flight games. 

But you're right, it was more the team spirit & never say die attitude that won it for us, along with incredible home form. We also won 6 games on the trot 2-1 all of which were come from behind wins if I recall correctly.

Really strong sides that season.

Steve Yates was the same school year as me. He was Brislington, I was Hengrove.  Before that he was Broomhill, I was Tyning.  On Saturdays he was top of the league Fair Furlong, I was bottom(ish) of the league Broadwalk.

Yates was nothing special as a player, he was a fantastic back passer to the keeper.  I sound jealous.  So what made him stand out?  He never made a mistake, he was like a bloke (mentally not physically) playing against kids.  He just did all the right things.  He obviously carried that into his Pro career and I think he was a great example of how a bit of ability (probably unfair, he was better than that) and a brilliant attitude and dedication can help you forge a great career.

One of my mates (a good few years younger) played with Carey and said similar things about him.

4 hours ago, EnclosureSurge said:

They had much better moustaches than us, mind. Talk about "marginal gains". 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Steve Yates was the same school year as me. He was Brislington, I was Hengrove.  Before that he was Broomhill, I was Tyning.  On Saturdays he was top of the league Fair Furlong, I was bottom(ish) of the league Broadwalk.

Yates was nothing special as a player, he was a fantastic back passer to the keeper.  I sound jealous.  So what made him stand out?  He never made a mistake, he was like a bloke (mentally not physically) playing against kids.  He just did all the right things.  He obviously carried that into his Pro career and I think he was a great example of how a bit of ability (probably unfair, he was better than that) and a brilliant attitude and dedication can help you forge a great career.

One of my mates (a good few years younger) played with Carey and said similar things about him.

Christ I played for Fair Furlong too, albeit a year or two before that. What could've been, eh . . .

Archived