IGNORED

1989-90 promotion highlights

1960maaan

At the start of the 1989/90 season, defender Gary Shelton came from Oxford in exchange for Steve McClaren. Goalkeeper Ronnie Sinclair and defender David Rennie came from Leeds.  Sinclair was free, but Rennie cost another £175,000 and Dave Smith, a midfielder, came from Gillingham for £75,000. There was an indifferent start to the League programme and an early exit from the League Cup. Reading visited for the first leg of round one and won 3-2. In the return, Bob Taylor scored twice in the first half, but Reading bounced back, scored twice themselves and won 5-4 on aggregate. Taylor was to be the main marksman that season; in 46 appearances he scored 34 times. This was the best performance by a City player in over fifty years, but the title of Bristol's most prolific marksman remained with Alfie Biggs. He scored 37 times in 56 appearances for Rovers during the 1963/64 season. But just as Taylor was City's hero, so Reading were to be the club's bogey side. Apart from the League games, Reading were also hosts for a match in the Leyland/D.A.F. Cup as the Freight Rover Trophy was now known. All three games at Reading were draws whilst those in Bristol were away wins.

In September a defeat at Northampton dropped the club to fifteenth position. Three wins and a draw then lifted City to fourth and leaders Tranmere were in sight. Disaster struck one Friday night on Birkenhead; City conceded an own goal, a penalty, had a player sent off and crashed six nil. A fortnight later, Swansea without a  win all season, won 3-1 at Ashton Gate. After dipping to eighth, October ended with City fourth again. On November 4th., Walsall, who had survived just one season in division two, were beaten two nil away and City went to the top of the table. After two months anchored in the top three, a four nil win put them back on top where they would stay until the penultimate game of the season.

There was some F.A. Cup glory too that year. Every year since dropping into the fourth division, City had been drawn against a non-League team in the first round, normally at home. This time it was Barnet who were beaten 2-0. Fulham had just 12 fit players at the time of the second round and asked for a postponement, but the F.A. refused and City went through 2-1. That score line was repeated in the third round when Swindon visited and the T.V. cameras returned for the fourth round when another home tie brought first division Chelsea to Ashton Gate. City were two nil up at half time, the first coming in the fourth minute. Chelsea pulled one back ten minutes from time and were still dreaming of a replay as Robbie Turner scored his second goal to give City a 3-1 win. The fifth round was to produce a different kind of shock. Fourth division Cambridge United came, played for a draw and got one, nil nil. A home tie with first division strugglers Crystal Palace awaited the victors of this tie, offering a tentative path to the semi-finals, but the replay was another draw with a goal each in extra time. A week later, Cambridge went five nil up before Taylor headed a late consolation goal. The Chelsea match had been the only Cup opponents Taylor did not score against.

As the transfer deadline drew near, manager Jordan further strengthened the team. Talented winger Junior Bent came from Huddersfield for £30,000 and striker Nicky Morgan  cost the same from Stoke City. Defender Dean Horrix was signed from Millwall, but tragically he was killed in a car crash after just three appearances. It had long been obvious that City were going up, but Rovers had games in hand and could pip City to the divisional Championship. Rovers did keep on winning and so on May 2nd. the clubs clashed at Twerton Park and Rovers won 3-0! The following night City were mathematically assured of promotion when Notts. County conceded a late goal at Reading and the scorers name was Taylor! On the final day of the season, Rovers went to Blackpool and City hosted Walsall. Rovers triumphed 3-1 to lift the Championship and City made sure of second place by beating Walsall 4-0 to avenge that play off defeat of two years ago.

Despite the ups and downs and managerial changes, the team was still playing in the 4-4-2 formation adopted ten years before. City and Rovers had been relegated together and went back up together. By coincidence, their opponents of that last League day were both relegated. Another coincidence had occurred on Easter Monday. In 1965, City had won 5-1 that day and gone up from the third division in second place. In 1990, Fulham took an early lead at Ashton Gate before conceding five. Andy Llewellyn, who had been at the club eight years, was an ever present for 1989/90. He was also keen on cricket and had trials with Gloucestershire. Another ever present that season was Londoner Rob Newman, the Captain. He had spent ten years with City and thus had seen the whole gamut of the turbulent eighties; three relegations, two promotions and four good runs in three different cup competitions. He was granted a testimonial during the 1990/91 season.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm being a bit more disciplined and 1990-91 could be up in a week. Off to the bright lights of Braintree Vs North Ferriby United at the weekend so things go on hold. More clips here :

https://www.youtube.com/user/1960maaan/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

My sister, aged 8 or so, fainted just before the penalty in that final game, seem to remember it was very hot that day and we were stood behind the goal, pretty rammed too.  Mum waited until the penalty was taken before carrying her out...

Had been a long drive from Essex that morning, so thanks @Ivorguy for driving us!

As in the other memory bank earlier in the week;

no players pushing or holding one another, they played on pitches that today's players couldn't/wouldn't and after conceding a goal, the keepers didn't come running out shouting at the defenders about their mistakes.

17 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Dave smith one of my all time favourite players. I think we signed him from gillingham . Think he tore Llewelyn a new one the season before we signed. Me and my old man said love it if he signed for city . And he did . Great memories. Can someone confirm if it was gillingham or not

Aye it was Gillingham

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Paul Wimbledon and Nicky Morgan...Blimey...blasts from past. Thanks for this fella.

Morgan possibly the most underrated player to play for city in my life time.

Wimbelton bombed out not long after the Tranmere demolition after pissing about in the hastily arranged match the day after.  My source says Jordan nearly sparked him out on the pitch for not taking the defeat seriously enough. Was a pretty good midfielder though.

That  was the best season I'll probably ever witness; with Gavin & Smith on the flanks providing the ammunition for Turner & Taylor (the boys from county hell) we were at times unplayable. It was a cruel night when God pulled up against Crewe and had to be stretchered off after notching a superb hat-trick - there was a man truly in his pomp. 

Utterly spellbinding. 

42 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Dave smith one of my all time favourite players. I think we signed him from gillingham . Think he tore Llewelyn a new one the season before we signed. Me and my old man said love it if he signed for city . And he did . Great memories. Can someone confirm if it was gillingham or not

I did exactly the same, I was 16 or so when he tore little Llewey a new 'un & I said to my mates we needed to sign him!! Was over the moon when we did, just wish we could find another one like him, pace & power in his running with & without the ball & a hell of a shot on him!!

2 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I did exactly the same, I was 16 or so when he tore little Llewey a new 'un & I said to my mates we needed to sign him!! Was over the moon when we did, just wish we could find another one like him, pace & power in his running with & without the ball & a hell of a shot on him!!

He had a beauty of a left foot. Remember city warming up in front of the eastend. Smith hitting some shots. Think it was leaning in goal not sure . But smith has hit one over the bar and it smacked this poor girl straight in the swede . Goodnight . 

22 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

He's still here as a taxi driver doing the airport runs - @SuperDziek collared him in his cab a year or two ago 

Yep, he was working for Checker Cars up at the airport in May 2014.  Still lived in Redland, although he did say he hadnt been back to the Gate since leaving (to my surprise, he said he'd never been invited back to the Club).  Scored against the Gas at home, which makes him a legend in my eyes.  Top player, top bloke.

25 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

That  was the best season I'll probably ever witness; with Gavin & Smith on the flanks providing the ammunition for Turner & Taylor (the boys from county hell) we were at times unplayable. It was a cruel night when God pulled up against Crewe and had to be stretchered off after notching a superb hat-trick - there was a man truly in his pomp. 

Utterly spellbinding. 

"Bob Taylor demonstrated it was fatal to dither when he was around".  Great words from Full Throttle.  And he was right.  What a player our Bob was.

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

yep was Gillingham...remember him outpacing lewie in front of the grandstand blistering pace rarely seen from the opposition in those times

For me, it was the best season ever. I was 16 years old, in the prime of my life you might say, and a typical week might include a few pints of snakebite and black at a sixth-form party, a Wonderstuff or Stone Roses concert (the latter only on video, sadly) and a Saturday afternoon spent in Ashton Gate's East End, having filed patiently through good old-fashioned turnstiles.

Though I'd been to Wembley for the 1986 Freight Rover final against Bolton (a joyous day out that had seen a steady mass of red heading up the M4 - including gangs of scarf-waving Robins hanging out the backs of removal vans); and though I'd crammed into a rain-sodden open end for the League Cup semi-final against Forest just a season before; this was the season when the Bristol City bug hit me hard.

I'll never forget my mum bursting into my bedroom with the phone bill in hand, scalding me for my excessive use of Club Call, or Tuesday evenings spent glued to Radio Bristol, praying that Phil Tottle would interrupt Carly Simon's 'Coming Around Again' to bring news of a goal from Ashton Gate.

But it was when I was able to attend the games that the adrenaline really kicked in. Those afternoons (and evenings) crammed into the East End were the footballing equivalent of the moshpit down the Victoria Rooms or the Newport Centre. Dangerous. Exhilirating. And when Bob Taylor scored his 30-yarder in front of us against Crewe Alexander on that cool April evening, part of a stunning hattrick in a 4-1 win, the universal chorus of "One Bobby Taylor, there's only one Bobby Taylor" seemed like the giddy encore.

Sadly, that wasn't to be the case. Ironically, it was an injury to Super Bob that ultimately scuppered our title aspirations and gifted (they'll argue with the choice of word) the title to our friends at Twerton Park. The match was one of several away days that I attended that season via CATS coach service, the others being Notts County, Leyton Orient (when the coach got lost and finally dropped us off at the stadium at half-time), and a thrilling 3-2 win at Wigan, where I remember sitting on the grass bank that was the away end, wondering why they were playing the Coronation Street theme over the tannoy.

While the loss of the title hurt at the time, that season will always remain in my heart and none since has matched it for romance and excitement. Have Bristol City failed to deliver on that early (for me) promise? No, I think I just grew up.

24 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

yep was Gillingham...remember him outpacing lewie in front of the grandstand blistering pace rarely seen from the opposition in those times

Ye that be about right. I use to sit on the wall in the enclosure most games. Had a little plastic red and white card to get in with. God I use to love going football back then 

Archived