IGNORED

We're 5th in this table...

BS4 on Tour...

Morning all!

Apologies if this has been posted before - it's a table ranking the 92 clubs in terms of the number of goals their top scorer of all time notched. Surely the guy at number one will never be beaten, unbelievable!

I found it interesting reading, click here and scroll down a bit if you fancy a peek:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10677715/premier-league-championship-league-one-league-two-record-goalscorers-ranked

1 minute ago, The Gasbuster said:

Steve Bull at number 10 with 306 goals.

At least half of them must have been against us !

I remember him splaffing a hatrick against us up there as a bemused Glenn Humphries tried to get near him all afternoon!

Pretty sure he got his 200th Wolves goal that day, amongst the three, in a 4-0 hammering! The season after we went up finishing second to the gas I think it was...

33 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Morning all!

Apologies if this has been posted before - it's a table ranking the 92 clubs in terms of the number of goals their top scorer of all time notched. Surely the guy at number one will never be beaten, unbelievable!

I found it interesting reading, click here and scroll down a bit if you fancy a peek:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10677715/premier-league-championship-league-one-league-two-record-goalscorers-ranked

Wouldn't "number one's" goals all have been in non league football..? 

19 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep, but still a phenomenal total

Of course. 

Makes Dixie Dean & Ian Rush the real stand out performers, at the level they achieved their totals at. Especially Ian Rush, being far more modern day. 

What a stunning photo of big John. Look at that crowd...the elation of the ball going in the net.

Reminds me so much of being a very small lad, and going round my friends house, and looking at pics with his Grandfather scoring for Scotland at a packed Hampden Park...and trying on his Scotland shirts. Those type of memories stay with you for life. Can remember it like it was yesterday...the smell and weight of the shirt...feeling in awe.

I wonder if our modern day footballers still have that effect on the young 'ens these days?

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

What a stunning photo of big John. Look at that crowd...the elation of the ball going in the net.

Reminds me so much of being a very small lad, and going round my friends house, and looking at pics with his Grandfather scoring for Scotland at a packed Hampden Park...and trying on his Scotland shirts. Those type of memories stay with you for life. Can remember it like it was yesterday...the smell and weight of the shirt...feeling in awe.

I wonder if our modern day footballers still have that effect on the young 'ens these days?

Fantastic memories Spudski. I, too, would have felt in awe but who was the footballing grandfather?

The Barnet player at number four; He scored his goals in "just" ten years, everyone else on the list was at their club for a longer period of time.

Might be interesting if the table was rearranged into games played / goals scored.

6 hours ago, spudski said:

Against Brazil as well. Is it true his England career was cut short because he refused to turn professional ? 

4 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Against Brazil as well. Is it true his England career was cut short because he refused to turn professional ? 

I heard an unsubstantiated rumour that Johnny Haynes didn't like Big John and basically made it clear to the manager who didn't want a split in the camp, so one had to go....have absolutely no idea if that is true or not..

11 hours ago, spudski said:

I believe the photo is actually Atyeo missing a penalty. My dad was at that game against Brazil in 1956. Highlights here:

Archived