IGNORED

Magnusson Still In Bristol? (Merged)

Unan

4 minutes ago, ploppy said:

I thought he could play left back as well?

He has been used at LB for former Clubs. Cesena used him as LFB, left of a defence of 3, and also at LB.

You can see his versatility in this showcase...

Either LJ has been quoted out of context, or in his opinion, he doesn't think Hordur is good enough at LB in this league.

He obviously watch's him in training every day and would know.

However based on what we see for 90 mins, I'd certainly at least try him there, as imo, he couldn't be any worse than Golbourne, and has other attributes that are far more beneficial to the team.

If I have any criticism of LJ...it's definitely not using Magners at LB.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Just how many spaces to you think there are on the Team Coach, how many hotel rooms do you think we book. Enough for the squad, manager, coaches, kitman. Not every fringe player can travel. Don't beat Magnusson with the 'don't care' stick, I would wager anything that if he had a choice of birthday cake or playing he wouldn't be sat at home. Lacking team spirit he isn't, and yes I have spoken to him several times after matches and found him to be extremely positive.  

Did you read the whole thing? The bit about carrying too big a squad - you shouldn't have so many players that people can have weeks off in the middle of the season. Even where there are huge squads It doesn't happen at say Chelsea (we know what they do with surplus players... Mr Abraham isn't having a mid-winter break), Man City, United etc  it's baffling to me....

I'll admit my point about spirit was really aimed at squad level. Meaning in a tighter knit group you'd demand to be there and in reality have to be there.

As for not affording hotels and transport - this business justifies spending millions on players like Engvall not to use them. I'm sure a couple of hundred quid could be pulled together! 

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

I guess Joe Bryan (usually) being involved gives us the left-back cover if Scott Golbourne goes down with injury?

This, Johnson wants to have cover everywhere, I suspect if Joe were injured Hordur would be on the bench as cover for LB.

1 hour ago, ploppy said:

I thought he could play left back as well?

Indeed, that's a complete load of shit from Johnson.

Vyner has not shown anything yet (he may) but I certainly wouldn't want him filling in at centre half.

Hegeler is our best midfielder by a country mile.  Moving him out of central midfield will have a big impact on any game.

Not having a centre half on the bench, particularly one who also plays at left back for his country as often as not when we have an extremely weak left back, is utterly ridiculous.

Not to mention that we are starting two right footed centre halves who are both very uncomfortable on their wrong side.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Even though Hordar has never played left back for Bristol City at any level, and as you say in your email above is only used to playing left side of central defense, either as a two or a three? 

I suspect that he sees himself as a centre back, and is no more likely to want to play left back than Milan Djuric might want to play on the right wing.  Isn't it reasonable to assume that if he was a realistic option at left back, he would have been tried there?  He is a young player, in his first season in English league.  I hadn't expected him to play as many matches as he has, so it is no surprise that he is out of the side at the moment.  From what I've read from him on twitter, he seems very committed to the club.

1 hour ago, Mendip City said:

Did you read the whole thing? The bit about carrying too big a squad - you shouldn't have so many players that people can have weeks off in the middle of the season. Even where there are huge squads It doesn't happen at say Chelsea (we know what they do with surplus players... Mr Abraham isn't having a mid-winter break), Man City, United etc  it's baffling to me....

I'll admit my point about spirit was really aimed at squad level. Meaning in a tighter knit group you'd demand to be there and in reality have to be there.

As for not affording hotels and transport - this business justifies spending millions on players like Engvall not to use them. I'm sure a couple of hundred quid could be pulled together! 

You don't half talk some shit. Why would the club intent on making savings where they can and balancing the books spend money on hotels for 8 squad members when they don't have to, what a waste of money. 

Out of interest do you go to work when you are not needed there?

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Even though Hordar has never played left back for Bristol City at any level, and as you say in your email above is only used to playing left side of central defense, either as a two or a three? 

I suspect that he sees himself as a centre back, and is no more likely to want to play left back than Milan Djuric might want to play on the right wing.  Isn't it reasonable to assume that if he was a realistic option at left back, he would have been tried there?  He is a young player, in his first season in English league.  I hadn't expected him to play as many matches as he has, so it is no surprise that he is out of the side at the moment.  From what I've read from him on twitter, he seems very committed to the club.

Going by the showcase footage of him playing for Cesena in Serie A and B, it shows him playing in various positions. Left of a back 3, LB in a back 4, CB in a back 4, and also strangely LM.

Having watched both Golbourne and Bryan this season at LB, they imo, are both not good enough at this level in that position.

I thought Magners played very well when he was Left of a back 3.

LJ must see something in training that we don't see, that makes him think Magners isn't good enough, or not better than what we already have, in the LB position.

Either way, I'd be tempted to try him at LB...because Golbourne and Bryan must be awesome in training in the LB positions, judging by what they do on match day, you'd never pick them in that spot again.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

LJ must see something in training that we don't see, that makes him think Magners isn't good enough, or not better than what we already have, in the LB position.

Either way, I'd be tempted to try him at LB...because Golbourne and Bryan must be awesome in training in the LB positions, judging by what they do on match day, you'd never pick them in that spot again.

Maybe he's just trying to get a bit of stability in the team.

After a couple of months of chopping and changing things every week to try and find the best team he seems to have hit on something that is working moderately well (5 points from 3 games) so perhaps he's decided it's best to stick with it and see how they develop together.

Little and Golbourne might not be the world's best full backs but so long as the other guys in the team know what they're likely to do in each situation then they should adapt over time playing together as a unit to reduce the impact of mistakes.

2 hours ago, BarnzFM said:

You don't half talk some shit. Why would the club intent on making savings where they can and balancing the books spend money on hotels for 8 squad members when they don't have to, what a waste of money. 

Out of interest do you go to work when you are not needed there?

Thank you, saved me from responding.

9 hours ago, spudski said:

He has been used at LB for former Clubs. Cesena used him as LFB, left of a defence of 3, and also at LB.

You can see his versatility in this showcase...

Either LJ has been quoted out of context, or in his opinion, he doesn't think Hordur is good enough at LB in this league.

He obviously watch's him in training every day and would know.

However based on what we see for 90 mins, I'd certainly at least try him there, as imo, he couldn't be any worse than Golbourne, and has other attributes that are far more beneficial to the team.

Better passer of the ball.

SG reminds me of Ashley Cole in his latter days for England when he seemed incapable of passing more than 10 yards. When you know a full back is never gonna knock one down the line, or bend one over the top of the fullback into the hole, 1) defenders can press the receiver and the man on the ball, 2) your strikers stop making runs.  People bemoan Tammy's lack of movement at times, but when SG gets it, he knows he's never getting the type of ball he can thrive on.  I think SG has gone off the boil defensively and in that respect I'd play Hordur.  Not only could he knock those balls to Tammy, he can also hit those Walsh / Tinnion drives cross pitch....for Matty Taylor to run on the shoulder.  Hordur is capable of knocking a pacy 30 yard ball on the deck into the front man too. 

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Better passer of the ball.

SG reminds me of Ashley Cole in his latter days for England when he seemed incapable of passing more than 10 yards. When you know a full back is never gonna knock one down the line, or bend one over the top of the fullback into the hole, 1) defenders can press the receiver and the man on the ball, 2) your strikers stop making runs.  People bemoan Tammy's lack of movement at times, but when SG gets it, he knows he's never getting the type of ball he can thrive on.  I think SG has gone off the boil defensively and in that respect I'd play Hordur.  Not only could he knock those balls to Tammy, he can also hit those Walsh / Tinnion drives cross pitch....for Matty Taylor to run on the shoulder.  Hordur is capable of knocking a pacy 30 yard ball on the deck into the front man too. 

The difference between SG and HM, is HM actually gets a challenge in, and gets close to his man. SG constantly backs off, he's not even good at that, he's very unbalanced and falls over his own feet. That may sound funny...but look back at clips of our games, he's like Bambi on ice sometimes. I much prefer HM as a defender...he reminds me very much of how Bobby Moore used to challenge and tackle...wait, wait, then in when the timing is appropriate. He's got very good timing and reads an oppositions movement well.

3 hours ago, Johsib@btinternet.co said:

Why is our best defender not playing? Bizarre, he had a great left foot can hit long passes. He reads the game so well. Johnson really has lost the plot the man is a joke. little is a liability, we should be playing 3-5-2 with flint, weight and Magnusson as back 3. Johnson must go he is cluless

Which players are good enough to play wingbacks?

I can see the idea in Wright, Flint and Magnüsson, I just think we can't rely on Bryan at LWB to be consistent, and Cotterill is looking like just the player we need at RM/W, without hampering him with RWB.

I'd rather Johnson made a tough call and give Flint a rest (drop?) and played Magnüsson alongside Wright, or if he's not prepared to make that call, play Magnüsson left back...Golbourne and Wright have not looked at home together.

But no idea what LJ will do.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Which players are good enough to play wingbacks?

I can see the idea in Wright, Flint and Magnüsson, I just think we can't rely on Bryan at LWB to be consistent, and Cotterill is looking like just the player we need at RM/W, without hampering him with RWB.

I'd rather Johnson made a tough call and give Flint a rest (drop?) and played Magnüsson alongside Wright, or if he's not prepared to make that call, play Magnüsson left back...Golbourne and Wright have not looked at home together.

But no idea what LJ will do.

Agreed re. Cotterill (and JB is the same to a certain extent) in that you take away a real attacking threat by playing either at WB due to the need to defend. Both look better playing in front of a full back and both can and will track back if necessary. I can see that they could both slot in if we changed a 442 to a 352 during a game but wouldn`t want to see us set up with those two as WBs.

Archived