IGNORED

Tom Ince

Olé

Apologies if I'm raking over old coals but only just watched the highlights and my original instinct was correct - was a total and utter dive by Tom Ince. Several people said it was like Little at Cardiff and I felt sure they were wrong as no leg was stuck out and so it is... nothing, the guy just throws himself out of nothing. More realistic I give you, but that is absolutely despicable. For everyone saying we bottled it or threw it away, just remember City played with heart for 90 minutes and were beaten by that half pike.

Tom Ince was mugged off for 89 minutes, it is beyond comprehension that some of our players have to share the points with that total fraud. What has football come to.

Despicable, etc.

Watching the replay back on TV, it certainly looks like the contact was minimal (at best).

However, I always tend to look at the reaction of the players immediately after the incident, and Golbourne didn't really protest, and neither did any of our other players - so perhaps he did slightly impede Ince, although the fall to the ground looked exaggerated. And I think I read on here that LJ said afterwards that he had no complaints with the penalty (although I haven't seen the interview where he said this, so could be wrong).

And penalty or not, the equaliser was coming one way or another.

3 hours ago, Olé said:

Apologies if I'm raking over old coals but only just watched the highlights and my original instinct was correct - was a total and utter dive by Tom Ince. Several people said it was like Little at Cardiff and I felt sure they were wrong as no leg was stuck out and so it is... nothing, the guy just throws himself out of nothing. More realistic I give you, but that is absolutely despicable. For everyone saying we bottled it or threw it away, just remember City played with heart for 90 minutes and were beaten by that half pike.

Tom Ince was mugged off for 89 minutes, it is beyond comprehension that some of our players have to share the points with that total fraud. What has football come to.

Despicable, etc.

I've mentioned this in a previous post but i wrongly described it as a "half twist " he's an utter cheat and should of been booke d

In terms of results and points gained, I've always said cheating like that has far more impact on the result than all other factors combined - referees mistakes, drug taking etc. 

Its a disgrace there is no appetite whatsoever to clean up the game or its integrity. 

So long as they use the respect hashtag I suppose we're all ticketyboo. 

2 hours ago, harrys said:

I've mentioned this in a previous post but i wrongly described it as a "half twist " he's an utter cheat and should of been booke d

Indeed. We talk about arms being in natural positions for penalties. What about natural movement? 

Whilst I agree that he threw himself on the floor, what annoys me most, is that Golbourne saw the pass coming, he read it, which he usually does. However...he did what he usually does, stands off his man by about 2-3 yards. This gives the opposition room to manoeuvre into you. It gives the defender time to jostle and not get turned when in close...but in this instance Ince took advantage.

Golbourne defends like this all the time. He stands far too much off his man. Why does he do this?...to give himself time. It's what players do when they need that extra yard. Him and Little both do it. It's usually a sign that they need that extra yard. Either because they aren't good enough at this level and they know it, and it give themselves that extra yard, or have lost a yard of speed. You generally see it in older players. I've watched them both closely all season...and they both do it. Watch the good fullbacks in this league...they are tight to their man and don't get turned. That's the difference in our team. Our fullbacks are not even average standard in this league. It happens every game.

Unfortunately it is what it is. We either play them, and pay the consequences each game, or try Vyner and Magners in those positions, because I don't trust Matthews or Bryan in those positions either.

9 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

whenever I see a penalty given like that, I always try to imagine the same contact being made in a nightclub or walking down a crowded pavement. Would the contact be enough to send the player crashing, screaming to the floor ? Or would he be too f.......g embarrassed ? No penalty for me.

Wouldn't happen anywhere outside the box...and yet the ref was conned by it.

It comes into the duff penalty category. LJ so say has no complaints about it because what is the point he will get fined for questioning ref. Let's face the number of duff penalties given against us this season is unbelievable. I give Ince 9.5 for artistic impression. If Tomlin had done that would have got booked for diving 

26 minutes ago, Midred said:

I'm always confused about the awarding/ non awarding of penalties. An 'apparent' trip in 90% of cases will get a penalty. However pushing, pulling or wrestling to the ground is meaningless to the officials!

Imo, the penalty law has to be seriously looked at.

The whole point of the penalty, was to reward with a free shot on goal, when a shot or attempt at scoring a goal was stopped by a foul.

Most penalties given are for 'offenses' that had no bearing on a shot at goal.

I'd rather see direct free kicks in the box given, rather than penalties, unless the foul was for a clear shot on goal in the first instance.

If a player was most likely to have scored, had he not been fouled, then a penalty, or free shot should be the reward.

How many results are dictated by one trip or foul in the box, when there was no clear chance that the team were going to score?

It really does make a farce of the game, and often really doesn't reflect the true nature of the game played.

It's that bad, if I were a manager, I would be doing my best to get the ball in the box as often as possible and telling players to run at the opposition. It only needs a touch...and a penalty is given these days.

14 minutes ago, spudski said:

It really does make a farce of the game, and often really doesn't reflect the true nature of the game played.

You're 100% right on this and your post in general. It is so sad. Sometimes penalties reflect the way a game is going and you can kind of accept the opposition was going to score by some means anyway, but there was no threat or impeded chance either in that moment, or in the game in general. One of the things that people who weren't at the game don't appreciate, is while Derby had a lot more of the ball second half, they did not batter us and did not have lots of chances.

If they did not get given that penalty they do not get anything from the game. How do I know that? Because we didn't lose 4-3. People who become convinced of the sad inevitability of our ability to cock up games should know that with 10 to go we could have lost that game. We didn't. They had goals in them in the second half and Anya switched wings and was running at us, they were always going to get a sniff, but all they got was a point by means of a feeble penalty.

I keep watching it back on video convinced I've missed something. It's just a dive, the player had no intention to do or try anything else. It's so frustrating.

8 minutes ago, Olé said:

You're 100% right on this and your post in general. It is so sad. Sometimes penalties reflect the way a game is going and you can kind of accept the opposition was going to score by some means anyway, but there was no threat or impeded chance either in that moment, or in the game in general. One of the things that people who weren't at the game don't appreciate, is while Derby had a lot more of the ball second half, they did not batter us and did not have lots of chances.

If they did not get given that penalty they do not get anything from the game. How do I know that? Because we didn't lose 4-3. People who become convinced of the sad inevitability of our ability to cock up games should know that with 10 to go we could have lost that game. We didn't. They had goals in them in the second half and Anya switched wings and was running at us, they were always going to get a sniff, but all they got was a point by means of a feeble penalty.

I keep watching it back on video convinced I've missed something. It's just a dive, the player had no intention to do or try anything else. It's so frustrating.

I think the biggest problem, is what you hinted at in your post mate. Although we were not battered...Derby could see our underbelly and weakness. They played directly into our weaknesses, which allowed them the chances. The areas...our fullbacks. Hence Anya switching wings and play directed in those areas.

Ince is a diver and always has been, it'd be nice to think we could get five or ten match bans applied retrospectively to eliminate cheating but the authorities in the game have no integrity so it won't happen.

Golbourne is a liability too I'm afraid.  We need a left back and a right back in the summer, badly.

Must admit I thought it was a penalty at the time, even if the contact was exaggerated. (What contact in the area isn't these days!)

I recorded the C5 programme and just played back the incident frame by frame and it definitely looks to me that SG hooked his foot round Ince's.

Unfortunate, but correct for me.

58 minutes ago, Libertine1 said:

This makes LJ's comments about the penalty even more baffling.

I think maybe he's just looking to avoid any negativity or be seen to use any excuses in the media. We've lost a lot of games by one goal or due to decisions going against us and perhaps he's just fed up of saying similar things every week, especially when there are positives to be had and talked about yesterday and over the last three games instead.

Still I suppose he could have said no comment instead of having no complaints but it won't change anything at the end of the day. Just need to focus on Tuesday night.

Here's my thoughts, won't be 100% right but I reckon you'd get more right than wrong.

- when a player dives, they exaggerate the 'fall', by throwing their hands out, appealing as they go down.

- when a player is fouled, they are either more interested in staying on their feet or trying to break their fall.

A diver has prepared his fall, knows he's not in any danger of injury (remember Bryan Robson's innocuous shoulder dislocations) so can be theatrical.  A player fouled and knocked off balance is more worried about landing without injury.

You watch a sample of 20 penalties where a player has been tripped or not....you'll see a recurring theme!

Pushing and pulling is different - sonetimes it's the striker holding the defender, and sonetimes out of view of the ref.  Those are more difficult.

6 hours ago, spudski said:

Whilst I agree that he threw himself on the floor, what annoys me most, is that Golbourne saw the pass coming, he read it, which he usually does. However...he did what he usually does, stands off his man by about 2-3 yards. This gives the opposition room to manoeuvre into you. It gives the defender time to jostle and not get turned when in close...but in this instance Ince took advantage.

Golbourne defends like this all the time. He stands far too much off his man. Why does he do this?...to give himself time. It's what players do when they need that extra yard. Him and Little both do it. It's usually a sign that they need that extra yard. Either because they aren't good enough at this level and they know it, and it give themselves that extra yard, or have lost a yard of speed. You generally see it in older players. I've watched them both closely all season...and they both do it. Watch the good fullbacks in this league...they are tight to their man and don't get turned. That's the difference in our team. Our fullbacks are not even average standard in this league. It happens every game.

Unfortunately it is what it is. We either play them, and pay the consequences each game, or try Vyner and Magners in those positions, because I don't trust Matthews or Bryan in those positions either.

Give me Vyner. At least he'll be hungry to succeed. He's got some lower league experience now in a playoff type team and I'd rather go young than watch the same players make the same mistakes game after game. Magnusson I'd try at LB as well but with playing these two we have no CB cover on the bench. Granted we'd have 5 on the pitch that could play there. Either that or go 3 at the back with Hegeler in front of them and put Cotterill and O'Dowda at WBs. Allows Joe into CM as well with Brownhill and 2 strikers. 

12 hours ago, Olé said:

Despicable, etc.

it was a clear dive no doubt about it, but Golbourne has to be dropped a total liability and involved in all 3 goals conceded, Little gets dogs abuse perhaps if he was a Bristolian he wouldn't get so much.

The marking for the 2nd goal was as bad as you will ever see we had more than enough defenders in good positions in fact 4 defenders stood around doing **** all.

I would love to know exactly what Magnusson has done that is so bad that he doesn't get a look in, I hope LJ is not cutting off his nose to spite his face on this one, Golbourne has been a poor signing.

I have just seen the incident leading up to the penalty on TV………………if that was a Pen, then George Michael was NOT Gay, and Bears NEVER shit in the woods.  Tom Daley would have been proud of that Dive………and the Referee is a Twonk of the first order. Nuff said?

Archived