IGNORED

Give it to Cotterill until the end of the season.

Guest JHAGa

Make amends for our initial mistake in not backing our double-winning manager and then hanging him out to dry when things went wrong after the board didn't back him. At least we have a squad he can utilise this time.

Hey, I've backed LJ up until tonight but he's clearly not changing things around.

SC would have had us in the top-half if he was backed by the board but people always blame the manager on here. Disgraceful how SC was treated. Sacked 20 games after leading us to the double, purely because the board didn't support him in the transfer market. He'd certainly get more out of our current squad.

I don't see what's so outlandish - excluding him wanting him back, as there's a probable riff with SL.

LJ has had everything SC didn't, full vote of confidence, millions invested, and a negotiator that know what the **** he's doing.

2 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

Hey, I've backed LJ up until tonight but he's clearly not changing things around.

SC would have had us in the top-half if he was backed by the board but people always blame the manager on here. Disgraceful how SC was treated. Sacked 20 games after leading us to the double, purely because the board didn't support him in the transfer market. He'd certainly get more out of our current squad.

The irony here is that SC would take that team by the scruff of the neck and likely reverse results quickly by changing the attitude.

LJ is screamingly bad. The players have all but lost the will to live let alone fight to win a game under him and we persist. We all know the definition of madness....This is it!

However if you think that will happen and I know you dont, you are indeed a crack smoker.

SL would rather lose the fans than admit the glaringly obvious that LJ is dreadful!....If we go down great SL picks up the tab and I'm not sure I care anymore as there is not a damn thing I or anyone can say or do to change a damn thing

Just now, REDOXO said:

However if you think that will happen and I know you dont, you are indeed a crack smoker.

Of course I don't. The board let SC down, SC wasn't having it and they fell out. LJ is a yes man, hence why he's lasted so long. He has potential as a coach but there is no excusing this run. We need someone like Warnock. We have done for a long time.

18 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

Make amends for our initial mistake in not backing our double-winning manager and then hanging him out to dry when things went wrong after the board didn't back him. At least we have a squad he can utilise this time.

12 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

Of course I don't. The board let SC down, SC wasn't having it and they fell out. LJ is a yes man, hence why he's lasted so long. He has potential as a coach but there is no excusing this run. We need someone like Warnock. We have done for a long time.

Been saying all this for a long time.

Disgraceful how SC was treated, not for SC, but for BCFC.

14 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Also disgraceful how SC showed petulance for this club by failing to change things to make some tired point to the board

Good on him for doing it. He didn't put up with it, like most of our recent managers have. He was in a position too after winning us a double and getting us 99 points in one season, 18 months after taking over from us in the L1 relegation zone.

He tried sticking with the resources that he'd been given because he had such a good relationship with the players, he didn't walk out after two games like Coppell.

5 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

Good on him for doing it. He didn't put up with it, like most of our recent managers have. He was in a position too after winning us a double and getting us 99 points in one season, 18 months after taking over from us in the L1 relegation zone.

He tried sticking with the resources that he'd been given because he had such a good relationship with the players, he didn't walk out after two games like Coppell.

Really? SO he was taking us down but good on him for being petulant and rigid... by playing the same predictable formation, for failing to name a full bench and so on.

15% win record in this league with us, says it all really. Pembo with the same squad basically improved the results pretty much instantly

2 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Really? SO he was taking us down but good on him for being petulant and rigid... by playing the same predictable formation, for failing to name a full bench and so on.

15% win record in this league with us, says it all really. Pembo with the same squad basically improved the results pretty much instantly

He was taken us down because he was left with a squad of about 15 players. He didn't name benches because the only other options were youngsters and he would be chucking them in the deep end which isn't going to help them.

50 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

He was taking us down.

1 minute ago, Super said:

He was taking us down.

Because the board didn't back him. He'd have taken us up if they brought in Gray and Maguire like he wanted.

He was taken us down because he was left with a squad of about 15 players. He didn't name benches because the only other options were youngsters and he would be chucking them in the deep end which isn't going to help them.

That's his problem, he got rid of not only Cunningham but Fredericks to. He had ample opportunity to sign players but he didn't, he refused to play some of the loanees for more than 10 minutes... 

59 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

unnamed-1.jpg

3 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

The board did back him though, Gray was never coming here anyway...

I very much disagree. The board have a history of not backing managers. Millen (Jones, McAuley), McInnes (Bikey/Cisse), O'Driscoll had a shoe-string budget and could only just about scrape money for a contract for Pack, Cotterill got us promoted with the money from Baldock and then we've tried to do a similar thing this season selling Kodjia at the last minute and it's come back to bite us.

LJ didn't shake hands with SC after the Cardiff game. He's reaped the karma from that since.

4 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

I very much disagree. The board have a history of not backing managers. Millen (Jones, McAuley), McInnes (Bikey/Cisse), O'Driscoll had a shoe-string budget and could only just about scrape money for a contract for Pack, Cotterill got us promoted with the money from Baldock and then we've tried to do a similar thing this season selling Kodjia at the last minute and it's come back to bite us.

LJ didn't shake hands with SC after the Cardiff game. He's reaped the karma from that since.

Look at the facts with Del and even SOD they were cost cutting, City had an 18M wage budget and Del had basically halved it because it was spiralling out of control.. both those managers had to do some damage control which gave SC free licence to build a squad in L1 on a big budget.

I don't care if LJ didn't shake his hand, could've been vice versa mind that SC refused... I don't know but I was under the impression they shook hands off Air anyway

19 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Wow, think you've just fallen on the answer. Not sure it was intentional

34 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

That's his problem, he got rid of not only Cunningham but Fredericks to. He had ample opportunity to sign players but he didn't, he refused to play some of the loanees for more than 10 minutes... 

Like Cox for example who was a tired has been who has barely played for anyone since his sojourn here, and so once again SC's judgment was proved right.

1 minute ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

But his judgement was proved wrong regarding Cunningham... 

Cunningham's last season here, when he couldn't get in the starting 11 most games, was the season we won the league with 99 points by country mile, do you remember? Please explain how Cunningham could have improved on that.

:doh::doh::doh::doh:

2 hours ago, JHAGa said:

Good on him for doing it. He didn't put up with it,' most of our recent managers have. He was in a position too after winning us a double and getting us 99 points in one season, 18 months after taking over from us in the L1 relegation zone.

I don't think that I can possibly express how much I like this post.

Except for the extra 'o' in 'to'.

3 hours ago, JHAGa said:

Lets be fair he wouldn't do any worse then the complete joker we have in charge.

I personally thought it was a joke how we handled last season and sacking him. But hey ho. The board are doing a swell job of seeing if they can get us back in league one.

If we hadnt have sacked Cotterill we would at least be in the Championship next season.

Might have been in League One this, though.

Fixated on 3-5-2, never played subs, made mistakes with Cunningham and others.

But

A double winning leader with unfinished business, Id have him back.

6 hours ago, JHAGa said:

Because the board didn't back him. He'd have taken us up if they brought in Gray and Maguire like he wanted.

Gray and Magurie were never going to come.  He had completely unrealistic targets and then acted like a child when he couldn't land them.

SC won a pi$$ poor L1 with by far the best squad in the league.

6 hours ago, NickJ said:

Cunningham's last season here, when he couldn't get in the starting 11 most games, was the season we won the league with 99 points by country mile, do you remember? Please explain how Cunningham could have improved on that.

:doh::doh::doh::doh:

Yet he has gone on to be a solid defender with PNE... 

One of the worst defences in the Championship under Cotterill no? Care to explain how we were totally abject and why when Pembo took over, there was an upturn in fortunes with pretty much the same squad?

1 hour ago, Fishponds_Red said:

Gray and Magurie were never going to come.  He had completely unrealistic targets and then acted like a child when he couldn't land them.

SC won a pi$$ poor L1 with by far the best squad in the league.

Just like Man United will romp the Premier League this season with the most expensive squad? It doesn't always work like that. Steve Cotterill instilled unity, passion and professionalism, to deliver one of the most exciting seasons ever witnessed at Ashton Gate.

Yes, it looks like he threw his toys out of the pram the following season, but it's quite clear that the board only really started sanctioning all these signings once their, ahem, 'long-term project' was underway and their yes man was at the helm. What a farce that's turned out to be.

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

Just like Man United will romp the Premier League this season with the most expensive squad? It doesn't always work like that. Steve Cotterill instilled unity, passion and professionalism, to deliver one of the most exciting seasons ever witnessed at Ashton Gate.

Yes, it looks like he threw his toys out of the pram the following season, but it's quite clear that the board only really started sanctioning all these signings once their, ahem, 'long-term project' was underway and their yes man was at the helm. What a farce that's turned out to be.

You lost me at Man United

9 hours ago, JHAGa said:

You honestly think SC would have taken us up to the premier league with the addition of just those two players you mentioned? 

Mr Lansdown was perfectly prepared to stump up the cash for Andre Gray, the player chose to go to Burnley instead as he thought they had more potential, and he was proved right...

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

To a point I agree, but don't forget our budget- by dint of a bigger capacity and more facilities- would be somewhat higher this season than 15-16 so they could afford to splash out more...

I've said it before on one of these topics, but the blind faith to LJ makes the treatment of SC even worse. I know Cotts made his feeling toward the board pretty well known, but from what I know it was our old DOF who screwed up numerous deals that left us scraping the barrel and signing Fredericks and Robinson.

If Cotts had gone through this run, he'd have 100000% been sacked after Cardiff (or even Reading) and JL would've done one of those cringey YouTube videos of umms and arrs saying about how the run was awful and needed changing.

Yet here we are..

5 hours ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Yet he has gone on to be a solid defender with PNE... 

One of the worst defences in the Championship under Cotterill no? Care to explain how we were totally abject and why when Pembo took over, there was an upturn in fortunes with pretty much the same squad?

He may well have but Cotterill achieved 99 points without him and so it seemed quite reasonable to assume that he would be surplus to requirements, even if he is a good player - which I do, I like him.

The fact remains that winning the league with 99 points largely without Cunningham suggests SC did not get it wrong on Cunningham and any spin you put on that does not change it.

SC proved he is a good judge of player, another example I would give you is he inherited JET but clearly didn't think he fitted into a winning team, and where is JET now?

Even if you don't like SC you have to give him credit for what he got right, which is far more than his predecessor or successor.

4 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Yeh. LJ would never do such a thing with a decent championship full back...

We already know he moved Ayling on, what's with the dig? Both SC and LJ made errors in removing Cunningham and Ayling... both as incompetent on that part. 

Fed up with the double standards from some that SC could do no wrong and LJ for the same failings is completely guilty

5 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You honestly think SC would have taken us up to the premier league with the addition of just those two players you mentioned? 

Mr Lansdown was perfectly prepared to stump up the cash for Andre Gray, the player chose to go to Burnley instead as he thought they had more potential, and he was proved right...

I think you'll find that with the Gray deal, it was done and dusted before Cotts went on holiday in the summer and a verbal agreement in place.. While he was off, Lansdown and co went back to Gray and his agent trying to get him on the cheap at which point AG told them to jog on. Cotts came back to find that the deal was off and was furious about it. Similar happened with Dwight Gayle too I believe..

For what its worth I also believe we'd be far better off with SC in charge if he had the same backing as LJ

43 minutes ago, bcfccalum93 said:

I think you'll find that with the Gray deal, it was done and dusted before Cotts went on holiday in the summer and a verbal agreement in place.. While he was off, Lansdown and co went back to Gray and his agent trying to get him on the cheap at which point AG told them to jog on. Cotts came back to find that the deal was off and was furious about it. Similar happened with Dwight Gayle too I believe..

For what its worth I also believe we'd be far better off with SC in charge if he had the same backing as LJ

and not the first time a person higher up the food chain has had a negative effect on a potential signing

Archived