IGNORED

Shake up time for OTIB?

Marina's Rolls Royce

18 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Without discussing the merits of the suggestion purely from a legal point of view the club and ourselves would be in breach of the data protection act if we started sharing personal info with each other!

DPA... often misunderstood and problematic. I suspect that it's the management of DPA compliance that kiboshes this more than anything e.g. who'd volunteer be a data controller for OTIB?

1 minute ago, Septic Peg said:

I have done and it was this I've selected from a further post that reiterates what I mean...

Yes I completely believe that someone who has attended a match has more credibility in their assessment than someone who doesn't.

So by that, I have less credibility as I don't go to a match often than someone like @Dollymarie who has a ST and goes to all home games.

Like I said, I couldn't give a toss what you think but others might not be so agreeable.

And FWIW, Dolls is a much better woman than I. Not because she has a ST, but because she keeps all you lot in check, whereas I don't have the patience or tolerance.

That is a sentiment I utterly believe and always will.

If you attend a match you can better assess than if you do not.

There was a thread about breaking point. Mine was after reading @Olé match report at Forest. I know he was there, I know he goes to most ( if not all) games and for me, has great deal of credibility. The fans who were insulting LJ/SL after losing v ( insert match) but not having attended- do not.

35 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Why are season ticket holders more credible than anyone else ?

Exactly, and having a season ticket doesn't automatically mean that ST holders go to every game. I know some who live miles away but have a ST through habit and hope that we'll draw Man Utd away in the Cup and they'll get the chance of a ticket.

Highlighting who is a ST or regular fan on here will be very divisive and will lead to "I'm better informed than you" tit for tat arguments. I don't want to see this.

(and yes I'm a ST holder, but my opinion doesn't matter more than anyone else's)

7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

My counter argument is that from a distance I can see that RESULTS are not good enough .

There is no LJ or player love in to get in the way of the cold hard facts.

I succumb to those close to the club who have a different take on things .

But Major- you never make out you attend matches- you freely admit to living on the Abroad.

I usually manage to see City about five times in the flesh each season as well as on TV whenever we are on and listen to every radio commentary even when I am watching Mangotsfield United. I cannot afford a ST and, quite frankly, refuse to pay the inflated prices. I used to attend virtually every home game years ago as well as some away when football was more affordable and value for money.

If you study my posts I never make out that I know more about our style of play and the performances of individual players than others who attend week in week out and I bow to their greater judgement. I acknowledge that their insight is better qualified than mine so tend to steer clear of such debates. Unfortunately, as the OP states, there are many on here who aren't so circumspect with their judgement and contribution to debates and thus a false sense of reality can be conveyed if one assessed purely from reaction on here.

Thus, I can see where the OP is coming from as it is annoying and those who want to stir trouble use it as a stick to beat the others with and stir further trouble. But I can also see that it would be difficult to administer and what makes one fan's views more valuable than anothers would be hard to evaluate. For instance, a blind supporter would be reliant on commentary either from the radio or a friend even if they did attend AG. But would that mean their opinions would be ranked with those who only ever listen to Radio Bristol for their match coverage.

I might never have had a season ticket in my life but I was amongst the first people to buy shares in 1982. The prospectus hadn't even been printed and I was simply given a receipt. I recall Peter Divine being in the office when I went in as soon as it was announced the club needed fans to buy shares. However, as aforementioned, I can see where the OP is coming from.

14 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Exactly, and having a season ticket doesn't automatically mean that ST holders go to every game. I know some who live miles away but have a ST through habit and hope that we'll draw Man Utd away in the Cup and they'll get the chance of a ticket.

Highlighting who is a ST or regular fan on here will be very divisive and will lead to "I'm better informed than you" tit for tat arguments. I don't want to see this.

(and yes I'm a ST holder, but my opinion doesn't matter more than anyone else's)

Oh dear.... ( and for the last time)

I never said a season ticket holder is more credible- it's not about flipping ST holders.

It's about the credibility of a " fan" whether on OTIB or anywhere else calling for changes through social media who actually doesn't actually go to any games.

Yes :

I believe that someone supporting a team by actually attending any number of matches not only is more likely to have a better take on a club/team/managers progress than someone who doesn't go to any matches but also has a more credible right to criticise.

P.S I'm feel the same about people who complain about Brexit yet didn't vote either way.

3 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Oh dear.... ( and for the last time)

I never said a season ticket holder is more credible- it's not about flipping ST holders.

It's about the credibility of a " fan" whether on OTIB or anywhere else calling for changes through social media who actually doesn't actually go to any games.

Yes :

I believe that someone supporting a team by actually attending any number of matches not only is more likely to have a better take on a club/team/managers progress than someone who doesn't go to any matches but also has a more credible right to criticise.

What constitutes "credible" ?  You can have 2 people watching every match and then have completely different opinions on what they've just seen.

I can see the reasoning in the OP but it's not practical. 

You're a regular poster like me @Marina's Rolls Royce, I think for people like us who use this forum most days we can see who's credible and who's not. I know who's posts to scroll past, who's to take time to read etc 

I can totally see what you're trying to say, and I don't think it's a 'super fan' vs regular fan thing, I just can't see a way in which it'll work in reality. I guess that's part of the beauty of a forum, it allows people to be completely anonymous if they wish and be totally over the top if they so wish.

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

OTIB is never more popular than when things are going wrong at BCFC.

Not only do we get a good number of newbies but also the return of posters who love to get involved in a witch hunt whilst having no real opinion when things are going right.

The problem I have with these newbies and serial dissenters is that I'm really not sure if they are fans of BCFC or just joining in a social media bullying circus.

Comments like " if (insert name here) is appointed then I'll vote with my feet" or "if LJ remains then I'll not renew my season ticket" " I'm not supporting City anymore if we go down" are from "fans" who may very well never go near BS3- ever. In fact some of the biggest critics of all things BCFC never actually attend matches or do so once or twice a season depending on league position . I also know ( through their own integrity on here) that some of the most popular posters are not regulars at Ashton Gate or away matches. This  is often for geographical , health, work or financial reasons.

One thing is for sure- you can't genuinely form an accurate assessment of a player, team , manager or stadium without actually attending matches on a regular basis. And certainly not from listening to the radio , reading BEP and shouting on a forum. Or looking at the league table in isolation.

So when we get "beaten" by Derby 3-3 and I see the animosity but then read the excellent @Olé away reports ( who I have to say must be congratulated in his honest assessments) or comments from @Dollymarie who puts her heart and soul into the club along with so many others- I take notice and take it seriously whether I agree or not. When some poster demands this or that - a manager to be sacked, an owner to be hounded out or a player to be dropped then that's fine too....... Provided they actually are a Bristol City supporter and can see with their own eyes what is going on more than just looking at the result after the final whistle. Not just gobbing off about a club they have little association with other than on social media from their bedroom/sofa.

382 "supporters" signing a petition- only the most deluded would take that seriously. How many of those actually attend football matches let alone City matches?

My point is this: Surely a genuine supporter/fan will attend matches regularly if they can or better still- hold a Season Ticket? 

When fan's say " without us there is no club". I agree wholeheartedly but only if those fans actually go to the matches. If you don't or rarely go then why get involved with 'Flint needs a rest' or 'drop Fielding etc' or 'pathetic result and pathetic manager' about a game I've just seen where we played very well but failed to win.

How many times have you met a football fan who says" I support ( insert name here)" yet when you ask the last time they attended a match( or even the name of their right back etc).........."errr- well....I don't really get the chance to go".

On OTIB we are currently experiencing some pretty polarised opinion- namely that LJ was,is and always shall be a ( insert here) and that SL is, has and always shall be clueless. And if those are the genuinely held opinions of a regular supporter who attends games and/or contributes to BCFC then fair enough. I respect your opinion but don't agree with all of it. But if you never actually go to any matches, or very few- be honest about how you arrive at your opinion- Good or Bad.  Or don't bother contributing!

So MODS- I've mentioned this before. Why not have a system whereby ST holders are actually  indicated as such on OTIB? Or members of City away travel etc.

It's about credibility and the ability to help separate the opinion of a match goer to the opinion of a bored keyboard warrior with a personal agenda.

So, having two sons ( who I watch)  now involved in football on a Saturday afternoon, takes away my credibility on here ? 

Should I just go and buy a ST, even though I can't get to a lot of games, just so I can have an opinion!

2 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Just to help out MRR here - I didn't read this as MRR claiming to be a super fan or his / her POV being more valid than others

It's just the point that we've been here before, and this is how it always turns out

Yep- I guess you're right, Woodsy.

I think what it all boils down to is that I'm really peed off about  people constantly attacking everything about our club- many of whom are very happy to do so yet avoid the current discomfort of watching our team lose!

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Yep- I guess you're right, Woodsy.

I think what it all boils down to is that I'm really peed off about  people constantly attacking everything about our club- many of whom are very happy to do so yet avoid the current discomfort of watching our team lose!

we've been losing ?

Good Lord what a load of tripe, the OP even mentioned those dedicated few that give everything the club, how cosy and nice. Of course we would never achieve anything if we all agreed, that God there are those that upset these few who seem to think they represent the fans club or whoever, City fans come in all shapes and sizes, and we all deserve a voice. Why even Dolly famously once stated she wouldn't relish promotion to the top flight as it would distract from the 'family' feel of the club. She is entitled to that opinion, as I am mine, cobblers, what the point in not trying to achieve success to the top flight...winning everything you can...it's called SPORT, and not some cosy little club for those that treat it as their  little muse!!!

6 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

So, having two sons ( who I watch)  now involved in football on a Saturday afternoon, takes away my credibility on here ? 

Should I just go and buy a ST, even though I can't get to a lot of games, just so I can have an opinion!

I refer the Rt Hon Gentleman for Portland to my several previous answers on that precise subject.

3 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Good Lord what a load of tripe, the OP even mentioned those dedicated few that give everything the club, how cosy and nice. Of course we would never achieve anything if we all agreed, that God there are those that upset these few who seem to think they represent the fans club or whoever, City fans come in all shapes and sizes, and we all deserve a voice. Why even Dolly famously once stated she wouldn't relish promotion to the top flight as it would distract from the 'family' feel of the club. She is entitled to that opinion, as I am mine, cobblers, what the point in not trying to achieve success to the top flight...winning everything you can...it's called SPORT, and not some cosy little club for those that treat it as their  little muse!!!

What family feel to the club?

For better or for worse- undoubtedly commercially better- does the club under Bristol Sport or even in general have a family fee? With a Supporters Liason Officer (not Adam Baker but the other half of that pair) who is basically a mystery- what family feel?

• Admin
47 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Funnily enough- I mentioned this very subject to YOU two seasons ago and you quite liked it then!

As for seeing the difference- yes of course I can and that's another subject!

I'm not sure I should be flattered you recall something I said (I have no idea - but will take your word for it), or be spooked 

• Admin
45 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

And FWIW, Dolls is a much better woman than I. Not because she has a ST, but because she keeps all you lot in check, whereas I don't have the patience or tolerance.

Brownie points are not awarded for arse kissing on here !

:whistle::ph34r:

I think what you mean is that someone who was present at a game, can give a more honest assessment of said match than someone who wasn't. 

I agree with that. 

However, like someone else said, two people sat side by side can watch the game and have two very differing opinions. 

Let's take the dubious pen at Derby. I watched it with Hubby on Channel 5. I thought Golbourne had just clipped the Derby player. Hubby swore blind he didn't touch him. Who has the more valid opinion? Both watched the same thing. Two different opinions.

So whether a regular attendee or an expat listening on player, all opinions are valid. It's called healthy debate.

1 minute ago, Septic Peg said:

I think what you mean is that someone who was present at a game, can give a more honest assessment of said match than someone who wasn't. 

I agree with that. 

However, like someone else said, two people sat side by side can watch the game and have two very differing opinions. 

Let's take the dubious pen at Derby. I watched it with Hubby on Channel 5. I thought Golbourne had just clipped the Derby player. Hubby swore blind he didn't touch him. Who has the more valid opinion? Both watched the same thing. Two different opinions.

So whether a regular attendee or an expat listening on player, all opinions are valid. It's called healthy debate.

That's precisely what I was trying to say.

In respect of personal attacks on all things BCFC by posters who have no real interaction with the club other on social media- I don't agree that their opinion is valid- whether or not they listen on Player!

Archived