IGNORED

Lee determined to make supporters proud

Fiale

Head coach determined to make travelling supporters proud.

Johnson vows to select energetic line-up against league leaders

Head coach said City lacked "bite" in defeat to Fulham

Former midfielder played in goalless draw at Newcastle in 2009 

Lee Johnson has vowed to pick a team with bundles of energy as City prepare to embark on their longest trip of the season to Newcastle United this weekend.

Speaking after the midweek home defeat to Fulham, the head coach said his team lacked “bite” – something he doesn’t want to see a repeat of at St James’ Park tomorrow (3pm).

The Sky Bet Championship title favourites reclaimed top spot after a 2-0 victory over Aston Villa on Monday.

“We go there as the underdog,” Johnson told Bristol City Player HD. “Obviously it’s going to be a tough game but we have to get some spirit back – find that aggression and passion in our play to go and make things happen.

“If you’re low on confidence, what comes next is you run about and put your foot in. You do everything you can to make something happen in a physical sense.

“I’m certainly going to pick a team that’s going to run about, get tight to people and give Bristol City fans pride in the shirt.

“I haven’t lost the belief and I’m not going to lose it, because belief is such a big part of it.

“I’m up for the fight and I have to make sure everyone else is.”

Johnson was part of the City team who battled to a goalless draw on Tyneside against the eventual title winners back in 2009/10.

He added: “It’s a fantastic place to play and the players have to go there and enjoy it, having come off the field victorious knowing they’ve given everything they’ve got.

“We will feel like we’ve got a point to prove and we’ve got to go there and put in a good performance that people can be proud of.”

We could do with getting smashed really. It's getting beyond a joke. 

And before anyone accuses me of wanting to lose, I really don't. I can just see the greater good for the long term. I want to see is stay in this division. And if that means seeing us get smashed 5-0 by Newcastle, then so be it. 

12 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Nebulous game plan as ever. "passion, spirit, energy". It's all meaningless. 

I totally get that, and I totally think he should be sacked but I don't quite agree it's nebulous and meaningless. Actually what I think our team has lacked throughout this run is exactly passion, spirit and energy. 

Passion: particularly in battling for the ball, in tackling big and hard and in general just sweating. 

Spirit: confidence, belief, determination. 

Energy: combination of the above. 

Spirit, passion and energy is exactly what we had v Coventry when McInnes kept us up. 

I think LJ is on the right lines, this is what's most lacking. My issue is I don't think he is capable of instilling this in the players; not necessarily because he can't, but because they no longer believe in him. The fans no longer believe in him; where was the reaction to going one behind v Fulham?

Remember that cov game. They were on a long unbeaten run and looked like pulling clear. We went 1 behind to a Stead own goal. The crowd reacted immensely in a positive manner and Stead showed passion, spirit and energy to put in a stellar performance and dragged us to victory. Regrettably I just don't think the players or fans will do the same for LJ. He's got out of bad runs before and turned tides, unfortunately - as much as I want him to do well - the current he's swimming against is too strong. He has to take responsibility for letting it get that way. 

Nice guy, wish him all the best, wish it worked out differently and I'm sure 99% of us are equally as disappointed as him and for the fairytale that did not work out. Next best thing is I want him to leave and I want him to go somewhere else and have a great managerial career. 

The question is will a point be enough to give him a stay of execution or will it have to be 3 points??

I'm sure I read somewhere (and correct me if i'm wrong) that 'defeat at Newcastle will see the end of LJ' or something along those lines.

So a very welcome point it would be at St James' but do you think it will still result in the sack?

Answers on a postcard I guess....

LJ today says "he will pick players he can trust" - errm, worse than I thought behind the scenes then. This reminds me of Brian Tinnion when he came out with something similar just before the Swansea debacle. If this is what LJ has said then I think it is clear he has lost key parts of the dressing room and he must go... to be fair, he should have gone sooner and I dont quite believe how he has managed to cling on. If we play like we did on Wednesday against Newcastle, we will get thrashed and I would not wish his reign to end in that way.... please SL just put him out of his misery - we hoped it would work, it has not, move on before the damage is irreparable and we are relegated.....

1 minute ago, KingLear said:

The question is will a point be enough to give him a stay of execution or will it have to be 3 points??

I'm sure I read somewhere (and correct me if i'm wrong) that 'defeat at Newcastle will see the end of LJ' or something along those lines.

So a very welcome point it would be at St James' but do you think it will still result in the sack?

Answers on a postcard I guess....

We have no chance of a result at Newcastle. I am afraid that for the first time in a long while players looked like they had downed tools on Wednesday and I think he has lost the dressing room. Dissent on the touchlines and also on the pitch.... Johnson has allowed factions to develop by his piss poor management of the team. He should have stayed in the lower leagues and built up his reputation, instead of jumping so quickly. Its so sad to see because I think he loves the club, but so did Tinnion and we all know how that ended....Tinnion was and remains a club legend, unfortunately, I am not sure LJ was ever in his company....

1 minute ago, MarkRed! said:

We have no chance of a result at Newcastle. I am afraid that for the first time in a long while players looked like they had downed tools on Wednesday and I think he has lost the dressing room. Dissent on the touchlines and also on the pitch.... Johnson has allowed factions to develop by his piss poor management of the team. He should have stayed in the lower leagues and built up his reputation, instead of jumping so quickly. Its so sad to see because I think he loves the club, but so did Tinnion and we all know how that ended....Tinnion was and remains a club legend, unfortunately, I am not sure LJ was ever in his company....

Spot on. The players looked as fed up as us on wednesday.

The players also need to take a long hard look at themselves. They are supposed to be professionals and their loyalty is to the club not the manager. It is inevitable that it  now ends painfully for LJ but all of those professionals should ask themselves whether they did enough... To drop from 5th to the verge of relegation would say that something very serious happened behind the scenes and this is perhaps why certain players have disappeared from view and only been seen sporadically.... If that is the case then both SL and MA need to answer some serious questions about the management of the First Team and why they have allowed it to come to this.

As spot on as these posts are, it's actually so damn depressing to think we have these top players who have come here for a 6 figure sum, and most of them are either regretting it or can't play to their best because of our incapable manager. 

Needs to go after Newcastle. Needed to go weeks ago. 

Has a feel of Lee Johnson's last stand this one- and I thought that before the story in the Mirror last night.

Chances are he will select a team entirely of his own choosing- his own terms, his own ideas and live or die by that. Ignoring any media, fan or whatever pressures, like Millen at Blackpool- Lee Johnson's last stand.

3 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

The players also need to take a long hard look at themselves. They are supposed to be professionals and their loyalty is to the club not the manager. It is inevitable that it  now ends painfully for LJ but all of those professionals should ask themselves whether they did enough... To drop from 5th to the verge of relegation would say that something very serious happened behind the scenes and this is perhaps why certain players have disappeared from view and only been seen sporadically.... If that is the case then both SL and MA need to answer some serious questions about the management of the First Team and why they have allowed it to come to this.

I know I wouldn't want to work for someone who I have no confidence in and are straight up clueless on how to manage a team... I'm sort of in that position now, and it makes me ******* miserable. Not that I can relate it to football, but a job is a job. 

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Just a rehash of the post game isn't it?

I've not seen anything new; all the quotes on this official site match what he said on the Player interview.

Can't say if the Post stuff is new; missed the BBC post-match interview.

I do think avoiding press for one of our highest profile games of the season against a recently ex-Premier League side is out of sync with the clubs usually media strategy - I'm not usually one for rumour, but this has me close to believing one or two things coming out might be true.

4 minutes ago, samo II said:

I've not seen anything new; all the quotes on this official site match what he said on the Player interview.

Can't say if the Post stuff is new; missed the BBC post-match interview.

I do think avoiding press for one of our highest profile games of the season against a recently ex-Premier League side is out of sync with the clubs usually media strategy - I'm not usually one for rumour, but this has me close to believing one or two things coming out might be true.

Agree. It reads to me like a slightly embellished version of his post match quotes.

I think you're right, the player interviews are usually out mid morning so we will see.. if there are none, something is definitely up.

I think Lee is running out of excuses and things to say.

Need more energetic team....WTF! ........implying the ones he picked before weren't energetic.......unbelievable!

He won't make us proud until he goes.......if he stays, many of us will never forget this horrible gut wrenching period he has presided over.

Archived