IGNORED

Rugby attendance today

ChippenhamRed

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I agree Bristol is not a 'rugby city' but is it a 'football city'??!

Sheff Utd had a 27,000 crowd yesterday in League One....in a two club city...that's a 'football city' - our two clubs' recent attendances added together are less than Sheff Utd's latest League One crowd...says it all really...

Isn't Sheffield twice the size of Bristol? And no other decent sports clubs in the City?

13 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

Isn't Sheffield twice the size of Bristol? And no other decent sports clubs in the City?

Twice the size?! Er, no...530k population vs 450k - depending on what sources you believe. And some quote 'Greater Bristol' as having around a million people.

Other sports clubs in Sheffield? Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Sheffield Steelers, Sheffield Bears, Sheffield Giants, Sheffield Scimitars....

14 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Whilst watching the rugby today I realised that the huge screen is actually pretty shit quality. Its not a crisp HD picture as you would expect but more Sd.

The bigger the screen the more pixels you need, it's never going to be crisp unless it was 8khd which doesn't exist for teles yet

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I agree Bristol is not a 'rugby city' but is it a 'football city'??!

Sheff Utd had a 27,000 crowd yesterday in League One....in a two club city...that's a 'football city' - our two clubs' recent attendances added together are less than Sheff Utd's latest League One crowd...says it all really...

Is Nottingham a football  City? Our average is higher than Forests and Rover's is higher than Notts County, Is Leeds a footballing City considering the City has only one club and their average attendance's are not much higher than ours, to be honest  considering the dross that us and Rovers have had to watch for the majority of the last 40 years I think our crowds are excellent 

1 hour ago, harrys said:

Is Nottingham a football  City? Our average is higher than Forests and Rover's is higher than Notts County, Is Leeds a footballing City considering the City has only one club and their average attendance's are not much higher than ours, to be honest  considering the dross that us and Rovers have had to watch for the majority of the last 40 years I think our crowds are excellent 

Forest are averaging more than us at home games this season and Leeds are way ahead, averaging around 27k. I agree that our crowds hold up well in comparison seeing as Forest and Leeds have had a lot more to shout about over the past 40 years...

11 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

Sheffield is a sporting city, and a football city. We're not in the same league. Nor is Leeds, mind. 750,000 population and one club, and gates lower than Derby, 254,000 pop.

No great shame for us though - no need to beat ourselves up about this; our average and Rovers average combined is more than Leeds' and Leeds are having the most successful season of the 3 of us - unlike Leeds, we have had **** all success or top flight football compared to either Sheffield club.

The noise at AG from 16k at the end was excellent. Don't need a full house. All that concrete means any noise reverberates perfectly. Even in L1 with 11k or 12k, we could make a great din.

39 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Forest are averaging more than us at home games this season and Leeds are way ahead, averaging around 27k. I agree that our crowds hold up well in comparison seeing as Forest and Leeds have had a lot more to shout about over the past 40 years...

Leeds are having a very good season hence their higher crowds, their average last year was just 22000, Forest are now averaging more than us by just 30 people per game but my point is that you stated that Bristol isn't a footballing City my argument is that our crowds suggest otherwise

6 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Sheffield is a sporting city, and a football city. We're not in the same league. Nor is Leeds, mind. 750,000 population and one club, and gates lower than Derby, 254,000 pop.

No great shame for us though - no need to beat ourselves up about this; our average and Rovers average combined is more than Leeds' and Leeds are having the most successful season of the 3 of us - unlike Leeds, we have had **** all success or top flight football compared to either Sheffield club.

The noise at AG from 16k at the end was excellent. Don't need a full house. All that concrete means any noise reverberates perfectly. Even in L1 with 11k or 12k, we could make a great din.

Dead right Jack, personally I think the attendances at Leeds are pathetic considering the size of the City and the fact it's a one club town

21 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Watching Bristol v Bath. Top tier is shut, plenty of empty seats in the lower tier. Looks like maybe an 18k crowd to me.

This for Bristol's biggest game of the season against their local rivals, with both teams able to bring as many as they want. Is that not a bit disappointing?

I have no problem seeing the rugby pull in big crowds. But make no mistake, City are still the number one crowd-puller at Ashton Gate, the stadium was not "built for the rugby" (some I've seen a few times on here) and Bristol is not a "rugby city".

Enjoying the game though!

Terrible season with garbage player recruitment and the retention of a shit coach who should have been sacked in May not given a contract extension  so 16000 was a good crowd to be fair.

If Bristol ever get it right they will be the top side in Europe and will fill AG.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

More people watch the professional teams here in Bristol than watch those in Nottingham, currently. 

Same goes for Leeds too, although that's a very loose comparison as it's obviously a 1 club city. 

Forgetting London & Birmingham, there is Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield who currently have better support for their teams in a 2 club city. Are there any/many other 2 club cities that currently have a bigger aggregate average attendance..? 

9 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

More people watch the professional teams here in Bristol than watch those in Nottingham, currently. 

Same goes for Leeds too, although that's a very loose comparison as it's obviously a 1 club city. 

Forgetting London & Birmingham, there is Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield who currently have better support for their teams in a 2 club city. Are there any/many other 2 club cities that currently have a bigger aggregate average attendance..? 

Stoke

37 minutes ago, harrys said:

Dead right Jack, personally I think the attendances at Leeds are pathetic considering the size of the City and the fact it's a one club town

Strictly speaking, Leeds is not a one club city if one takes account of rugby union and rugby league (2016 average 15,000). 

Considering population and number of clubs, Leicester (pop 320,000) do very well even when Leicester City are in second tier as the rugby club there regularly pull in around 24,000. 

The major factor in Bristol is that both football clubs have had almost nil residency in the top tier and Bristol Rugby, arguably one of the best RU clubs in amateur days, got left behind by many clubs who embraced professionalism before it was legally introduced and have been in a wilderness now for getting on for thirty five years.

Give the people of the greater Bristol area some sustained success at top level and they will respond. Keep bouncing up and down a league every few years and we'll remain as poor relations.

1 hour ago, harrys said:

Leeds are having a very good season hence their higher crowds, their average last year was just 22000, Forest are now averaging more than us by just 30 people per game but my point is that you stated that Bristol isn't a footballing City my argument is that our crowds suggest otherwise

I didn't state Bristol wasn't a footballing city, I just asked the question whether people think Bristol is a footballing city or  not?

17 hours ago, Robbored said:

Went to buy a pint of Thatchers and got charged £4 with 1£ deposit for the sturdy plastic  Bristol Rugby pint pot.

I told the girl I wanted an ordinary plastic pot but her supervisor said that they didn't have any so I coughed up the £4

What I don't get is why they charge for these sturdy plastic pots but you get a pound back when you return it. So it's obviously not for profit.

I can't see the point

I hope you got your BCFC Season Ticket discount? 

The refundable pint glass things is a pocket money industry for kids at the end of the game, collecting up the thrown-away printed mugs and returning them to the concessions for a quid each. Some are quite collectable I believe. 

50 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

The refundable pint glass things is a pocket money industry for kids at the end of the game, collecting up the thrown-away printed mugs and returning them to the concessions for a quid each. Some are quite collectable I believe. 

I did get my discount and my quid back after the game but not everyone can be arsed to and thats when the kids are quids in. "ker-ching" 

49 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Those were the days, endless trips back to the off licence with Grand Dad's empty Georges Light Ale bottles for the deposits. Also, Friday night at Bristol Bulldogs Speedway in the late 1950s there was a killing to be made scouring the stadium for empty bottles to return to the stall for the 3d ( that's 1.25 pence to the young uns ) deposits.

4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Strictly speaking, Leeds is not a one club city if one takes account of rugby union and rugby league (2016 average 15,000). 

Considering population and number of clubs, Leicester (pop 320,000) do very well even when Leicester City are in second tier as the rugby club there regularly pull in around 24,000. 

The major factor in Bristol is that both football clubs have had almost nil residency in the top tier and Bristol Rugby, arguably one of the best RU clubs in amateur days, got left behind by many clubs who embraced professionalism before it was legally introduced and have been in a wilderness now for getting on for thirty five years.

Give the people of the greater Bristol area some sustained success at top level and they will respond. Keep bouncing up and down a league every few years and we'll remain as poor relations.

Leeds pull in a fanbase from right across the county, which is hardly surprising considering the successes they had in the not-too-distant past. I've worked with Leeds fans from Hull & East Yorkshire, as well as the North of the county. Wakefield, which is a city with a surprisingly large population, has no league football team (although rugby league is the main sport in that particular spot) and isn't too far from Leeds either.

Archived