IGNORED

Billy McNeill has dementia

Lanterne Rouge

1 minute ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Heading heavy footballs or is it just the law of averages.  What percentage of footballers get dementia compared to the population as a whole.

Still feel sorry for him and his family of course.

There have been studies done and it appears that in the past with the old sodden leather balls it is an issue for players in later life - it was given as one of the factors in Jeff Astle`s early death. I don`t think nowadays it`s as much of an issue though.

Read this earlier. 

I used to work with patients with varying degrees of dementia (normally so far debilitated they were unable to care for themselves) and it's a shocking illness. 

I know I read recently that there are ongoing studies suggesting that footballers heading the ball so much could be a cause of dementia. I believe 3 members of the 1966 World Cup Squad (namely Martin Peters, Nobby Stiles and Ray Wilson) have been diagnosed.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/three-1966-world-cup-heroes-7719084

Dementia in any format tends to affect people who have had highly stressful jobs such as headteachers, lawyers and doctors. (Obviously it can affect others too and constant minor head impacts and also a genetic element could trigger dementia). I would probably class footballers in that highly stressful category with the stresses of losing games, constant training, being away from family, injuries and eventually having to retrain once they retire from professional football.

One day, we may be able to halt dementia before it becomes advanced and one day eventually cure it all together.

Heavy footballs or not, I don't think that the incidence of dementia in footballers is any greater than the incidence in the general population.  In this respect, there are a lot of elderly footballers around wh have died of other things and have lived to a ripe old age.

I doubt whether any statistics exist to prove conclusively either way 

Did anyone see the program David Baddiel did on tv during the week? Due to his Dad having Picks disease & it was a very open program on dealing with a loved one with dementia.

He's also been doing a live show about the subject & trying to help raise awareness. And through the show he got to meet others who have loved ones suffering with the disease & went to meet them & discuss things with them.

It was a very open & frank program & it also helped show that things like this are becoming more easy to talk about rather than hiding it under the carpet (as would of been the case only a few years back).

And while it is a very serious issue, they showed that it needn't be something that can't be laughed about to help relieve some of the taboo around the subject.

It makes you think how many more players from the sixties and early seventies will go on to be diagnosed over the next few years - I suspect we`re only now beginning to see the tip of the iceberg. I suspect quite a few more have already died from other causes as well (Bobby Moore and Peter Osgood to name but two) so might they have gone on to develop it had they lived longer?

Will football as an industry do anything to help these ex-players? Hmmm.

Was lucky enough to meet Billy McNeill very briefly a number of years ago whilst having a tour of Celtic Park.

An absolute giant of a man in every sense, his legend and achievements will live on far longer than any of us. I can only hope that somewhere inside he still recognises those closest to him and remembers lifting that european cup aloft in Lisbon. Dementia is a terrible illness and my heart goes out to Billy, his family and indeed everyone out there that is currently struggling in similar circumstances.
JS28786304.jpg

Archived