IGNORED

does anyone actually want LJ to stay?

cheshire_red

• Admin
46 minutes ago, RedKatieScarlett said:

I'm still a yes. But haven't been posting due to the knowledge that I will be shot down in flames, I don't really need that in my life!!! I may disagree with others ( yep, I accept the majority on here!), but I don't feel the urge to question their intelligence, sentiment or thinking! I imagine there are others like me who both avoid the forum at meltdown moments and don't necessarily post what they think either!

So why do you want him to stay? 

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

Indeed I was mate...and it wasn't a 'Dig' as you put it, about other fans...that's how you've read it I'm afraid. :-)

I have however, read this forum and participated in it for a long time...I have enjoyed the debate.

It has however, become increasingly hostile, toxic, vitriolic and a very negative place.

I understand 'passion' and 'concerns'...but I've seen some very placid and reasoned posters become very angry on here, and very quick to temper and jump down others throats, when they don't agree with what the other person is saying....I've been guilty of it myself.

Hence the step back...and having a rethink as to why I bother, and why let it get to me.

How can I put it in layman's terms...it's a bit like going into your favourite local every evening, and sharing a couple pints with like minded friends. We have debate and it's fun and relaxing. Then the Landlord changes, and he starts to alter things in the pub. What was once a friendly boozer for locals, now has music blaring, fruit machines, sky sports on every wall, and all of a sudden a bunch of noisy delinquents start frequenting the place, and abusing everyone within earshot. Some of your friends start having a go back, and it all gets rather silly. What was once your favourite place to hangout...has now become a place you've got accustomed to frequenting everyday, but you no longer enjoy it. Your friends start to drift off...other friends say to you 'why do you bother with that place...it's full of mental people'...and then you start to question everything.

Of course I want City to do well...but do I care as much anymore...no. And tbh, it's probably hanging out on here that's made me feel that way. When at the ground and with mates actually watching the game, it's a different scenario.

I've stopped posting so much...not because of the situation with results etc, but because it has become a pack mentality and so very negative on here. It's not fun anymore...I like the reasoned debates, but they are few and far between these days. Or get's infiltrated by some knob who just wants to vent his spleen.

When I go to the pub, do I want to argue, feel depressed, want to knock the block off the annoying teenager getting pissy and loud in the corner?...no. Do I sit back to myself and just chuckle at it all?...definitely. Do I spend less time worrying and caring about it all?...right now... Yes.

You'll relate to this...having a father that has supported the Club since the late 40's...and seeing him frail and with various health issues...and seeing how much the City results play a part to his day to day wellbeing and frame of mind, and his mood...it got me thinking...'Do I want to be like that?'

The answer I came to is no.

Apathy for the Club, as a supporter, might be something it doesn't want. But tbh, the 'Club' are only interested in me or any supporter come to that, for our money. Everything else is by the by. We may have it in our blood and feel passionate...but I've decided not to let it get me down anymore. There are far more enjoyable things in the world to get involved with.

Do I ever want to be in my old age saying...'I wish I'd spent less time worrying about the City and their results?'

I remember reading a post a while back...I think it was from 'Marinas Rolls Royce'...where he said he'd gone to watch Wales v England in the Rugby, and spent the entire game looking at his phone to see what our score was...so much so, that his battery died. I thought to myself...Jeeeeez...I'm like that. Nuts when you think about it. Can't enjoy a day out at a great occasion, because you're worried about the City scores...it takes over your life and stops you enjoying other things.

So it made me think...a bit of balance is needed.

Round of golf on the weekend...and a trip to Italy the next...where I'll catch a Serie B game for my football fix... and I'm sure I'll catch up with our results along the way. But am I going to let it bother me any more...most definitely not  ;-)

What a fascinating, incisive and honest post.

Spudski, you met my eldest son and the highlighted bit in your post has got me thinking about what lessons I'm passing on.:facepalm:

One thing is for sure- we , as a family unit, don't dwell on the defeats and don't get angry or too down. We just debate what we thought went wrong or how good the other team was or who played well/badly. I took him to his first match on 31/08/2002 v Tranmere rovers ( Block F rowB seat 23). He was 2 1/2 yrs old and cried every time we scored cos the noise frightened him! We won 3-1 or 4-1.

I think you are so right that OTIB has, of late, become a microcosm of negativity and vitriol. Maybe it's time, as you say, for balance.

4 hours ago, ooRya said:

OK, let me try to explain why I want LJ to stay.

I don't believe this season was ever anything other than a building season, with one eye on next season being the year that we really give it a go to challenge for promotion. I believe that this was "the plan" for all concerned at the club.

In a lot of respects we are on schedule for this. We have the infrastructure - great ground and training facilities, and rumoured to be more on the way. We have an owner prepared to fund what's needed. We have Mark Ashton who has shown that he can negotiate to get the players into the club. And we have a clever upcoming manager (I'll come back to that). We are also showing all the signs of investing the right way into the academy/players for the future.

I've been supporting City for 40 years, and this is the first time that I've actually thought that everything is in place to really challenge for a push to the "promised land".

Sadly, and of course there's no hiding from it, results on the pitch have been awful, and seriously run the risk of ruining all of the above. BUT, as long as we stay in the Championship I would maintain that the targets set for this season have all pretty much been met, and then it comes down to the real thing next year.

Now, back to Lee.

For all of the above to work, I think we need to have a Head coach/Manager that believes in what the club are trying to do, and will readily buy in to "the plan". We have that with Lee. Obviously we also need to have a manger that knows how to win games, and again I believe that Lee does (OK I can hear everyone saying WTF! to that comment) Lee comes across as a very clever man and a tactician of the game, and currently I think this is where the problem lies. I think he is maybe one step ahead of where he wants the players to be, and this comes down to confidence/belief. Wasn't it Scott Golbourne that said recently something along the lines of "when we play the way we're asked to, and follow the game plan, everything works, it's only when we stop doing the right things that everything goes wrong".

Personally, I would like SL/The Board to have the conviction and the balls to see this through, and for what it's worth I don't believe City will be relegated this season.

Watching with a keen eye all season, my belief is very much that Lee is an exceptionally poor coach, can't stamp his authority on a game, reacts too much to the opposition gameplan and gets less than the sum of the parts from the players he has. Add to that an "economical with the facts" approach to interviews and he is the worst manager/coach in my lifetime. By far. 

3 hours ago, miketh2nd said:

Fair play to you as you obviously have good experience of the good the bad and ugly times. 

I really think Johnson could keep us up,  he has it in  the locker see last season's form from when he took over and the start of the season.  The main problem with his game plans appear we either go all guns blazing for a win which worked at the start of the season.  Then the flip side Is to defend most of the time or defend once we get ahead.  

If you take away all the talk about modern technology/intellectual  manner and the fact he doesn't ignore the youth so much...he is actually a pretty similar manager to his Dad...the way we play decent footy but always seem to only losing by a few goals and trying to maintain leads....the way he puts go for broke subs in the 2nd half ( mcombe up top).  Not saying he is the same but there are definitely similarities. 

I really agree that city seem to have it right in terms of the background staff young players.  SL Has been trying to set the club up properly fair to him hence the Del and Sod appointments   the five pillars.  Cotterill appears to have been a different approach regarding recruitment the youth etc... But unless he got us to the prem SL was never going to see eye to eye even from the word go.

Then we have LJ who he has backed massively,  I might get slated here but I wish we could have the same approach as barnsley and have  a plan b if there manager gets bought or needs to be sacked.  

I think this is where SL has failed,  as many have known for a long time.  He has been far too invested/loyal and let his emotion Ties to the Johnson family take over his gut feeling.  I'm sure SL himself knows deep down if it was another manager with this form that they would of been sacked already.  

Even though I do want LJ gone now   I'm still very happy to actually have a passionate city fan that owns my football club and I can be very proud of that! 

Del and SOD were arguably the two worst appointments in the club's history. How is that setting the club up properly?

Just now, CotswoldRed said:

Watching with a keen eye all season, my belief is very much that Lee is an exceptionally poor coach, can't stamp his authority on a game, reacts too much to the opposition gameplan and gets less than the sum of the parts from the players he has. Add to that an "economical with the facts" approach to interviews and he is the worst manager/coach in my lifetime. By far. 

"Coach" is not the same as "Manager" or even "Head Coach". One can be excellent at coaching but poor at tactics, man management and other important elements of management. I don't know how good a coach Lee Johnson is.

He's not completely hopeless as a manager either. Some of our rebound in form last season was down to a new manager bounce but a hopeless manager wouldn't have kept us up.

I think he's a relatively smart guy, who is extremely determined and who has read all the books etc. But that's not enough. Knowing what to do in each and every situation comes from experience but even if you know that you have to convey your requirements to the players. If he's telling them to do the wrong things then that's a problem, but if he's telling them to do the right things and they're not doing them then that's potentially a bigger problem. Either they can't understand him or they don't want to.

I don't think he's exceptionally poor. I think he's struggling with a few key aspects of the job and that makes it very difficult for him to do it well. Over time he can and may improve in these aspects but it's very difficult to do that when the need for results is so urgent.

1 minute ago, AshtonGreat said:

Del and SOD were arguably the two worst appointments in the club's history. How is that setting the club up properly?

Del was a up and coming manager who is doing a decent enough job in Scotland , I wouldn't be suprised to see him join a decent top 10 champ team or higher in the future. I think with Del  we had only just started the 5 pillars ? and he was getting the brunt of  having to get the wage bill down and bring other players in but on cheaper wages hence bringing people he knew from the scot prem but were not proven at this level. Then  again maybe he just came to our club at the wrong time..

Sod had a decent enough record at Doncaster and I cant say about his time at Forest as was only a short period ?

It is all easy to slate the board and SL but they don't have the luck of having hindsight on there side.

2 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

"Coach" is not the same as "Manager" or even "Head Coach". One can be excellent at coaching but poor at tactics, man management and other important elements of management. I don't know how good a coach Lee Johnson is.

He's not completely hopeless as a manager either. Some of our rebound in form last season was down to a new manager bounce but a hopeless manager wouldn't have kept us up.

I think he's a relatively smart guy, who is extremely determined and who has read all the books etc. But that's not enough. Knowing what to do in each and every situation comes from experience but even if you know that you have to convey your requirements to the players. If he's telling them to do the wrong things then that's a problem, but if he's telling them to do the right things and they're not doing them then that's potentially a bigger problem. Either they can't understand him or they don't want to.

I don't think he's exceptionally poor. I think he's struggling with a few key aspects of the job and that makes it very difficult for him to do it well. Over time he can and may improve in these aspects but it's very difficult to do that when the need for results is so urgent.

agree with you here Dan, I don't think he is as clueless as some are making him out to be. But has barely had a full season in league one with two teams . My gut instinct told me when we first hired LJ was that it was too early in his career to be taking the city job , with the pressure being on him to build a team to get to the prem in the long term plan. 

44 minutes ago, spudski said:

Indeed I was mate...and it wasn't a 'Dig' as you put it, about other fans...that's how you've read it I'm afraid. :-)

I have however, read this forum and participated in it for a long time...I have enjoyed the debate.

It has however, become increasingly hostile, toxic, vitriolic and a very negative place.

I understand 'passion' and 'concerns'...but I've seen some very placid and reasoned posters become very angry on here, and very quick to temper and jump down others throats, when they don't agree with what the other person is saying....I've been guilty of it myself.

Hence the step back...and having a rethink as to why I bother, and why let it get to me.

How can I put it in layman's terms...it's a bit like going into your favourite local every evening, and sharing a couple pints with like minded friends. We have debate and it's fun and relaxing. Then the Landlord changes, and he starts to alter things in the pub. What was once a friendly boozer for locals, now has music blaring, fruit machines, sky sports on every wall, and all of a sudden a bunch of noisy delinquents start frequenting the place, and abusing everyone within earshot. Some of your friends start having a go back, and it all gets rather silly. What was once your favourite place to hangout...has now become a place you've got accustomed to frequenting everyday, but you no longer enjoy it. Your friends start to drift off...other friends say to you 'why do you bother with that place...it's full of mental people'...and then you start to question everything.

Of course I want City to do well...but do I care as much anymore...no. And tbh, it's probably hanging out on here that's made me feel that way. When at the ground and with mates actually watching the game, it's a different scenario.

I've stopped posting so much...not because of the situation with results etc, but because it has become a pack mentality and so very negative on here. It's not fun anymore...I like the reasoned debates, but they are few and far between these days. Or get's infiltrated by some knob who just wants to vent his spleen.

When I go to the pub, do I want to argue, feel depressed, want to knock the block off the annoying teenager getting pissy and loud in the corner?...no. Do I sit back to myself and just chuckle at it all?...definitely. Do I spend less time worrying and caring about it all?...right now... Yes.

You'll relate to this...having a father that has supported the Club since the late 40's...and seeing him frail and with various health issues...and seeing how much the City results play a part to his day to day wellbeing and frame of mind, and his mood...it got me thinking...'Do I want to be like that?'

Apathy for the Club, as a supporter, might be something it doesn't want. But tbh, the 'Club' are only interested in me or any supporter come to that, for our money. Everything else is by the by. We may have it in our blood and feel passionate...but I've decided not to let it get me down anymore. There are far more enjoyable things in the world to get involved with.

Do I ever want to be in my old age saying...'I wish I'd spent less time worrying about the City and their results?'

I remember reading a post a while back...I think it was from 'Marinas Rolls Royce'...where he said he'd gone to watch Wales v England in the Rugby, and spent the entire game looking at his phone to see what our score was...so much so, that his battery died. I thought to myself...Jeeeeez...I'm like that. Nuts when you think about it. Can't enjoy a day out at a great occasion, because you're worried about the City scores...it takes over your life and stops you enjoying other things.

Round of golf on the weekend...and a trip to Italy the next...where I'll catch a Serie B game for my football fix... and I'm sure I'll catch up with our results along the way. But am I going to let it bother me any more...most definitely not  ;-)

Brilliant post here Spud, the thing is you be annoyed/angry/frustrated at how your favourite place has changed or you can take a step back. Then when you feel like going back  you appreciate  it  more . It  then in turn can become easier to ignore the people who come on here to vent out there own personal issues. Although sometimes your can drive yourself a little mad just reading this place and not even contributing that much.  In Recently  I have not let City's bad results  get to me too much , not just due to this season  but just isn't worth it and that doesn't have to mean you love the game any less. 

I enjoyed the Newcastle away game so much mainly due to the great atmosphere(although the quality of the game did help too), it makes me very jealous of European clubs that allow standing ,flares etc... I spent less time analysing  the game and just enjoy the day more. I'd much rather chant and sing then worry about how we are playing constantly or groaning if the game isn't going our way.

I really wanted things to work out, but we're just not picking up enough points. I still think LJ is a coach with a lot of potential and I hoped he could develop that here, but even if we beat Burton that will not be enough from the last 6 games. When they can find a replacement he should go. 

26 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

Del was a up and coming manager who is doing a decent enough job in Scotland , I wouldn't be suprised to see him join a decent top 10 champ team or higher in the future. I think with Del  we had only just started the 5 pillars ? and he was getting the brunt of  having to get the wage bill down and bring other players in but on cheaper wages hence bringing people he knew from the scot prem but were not proven at this level. Then  again maybe he just came to our club at the wrong time..

Sod had a decent enough record at Doncaster and I cant say about his time at Forest as was only a short period ?

It is all easy to slate the board and SL but they don't have the luck of having hindsight on there side.

No, granted they don't have hindsight on their side - but the world and their dog sensed that Lee Johnson was a bad choice, and so it's proved to be. And even they did have the benefit of hindsight (ie when Johnson's shortcomings started to be exposed), they extended his contract. A mind-boggling decision.

2 hours ago, Olé said:

I am full of respect for those of you who have posted well reasoned and eloquent explanations for why you still hope that Johnson can turn this round. I can see some logic in your thinking and more power to you for your optimism.

With that said, on a point of order, I don't think we were ever getting it right or it was "working" earlier in the season. For me, based on the quality of performances, things must have changed in the summer. LJ's influence and how we setup, was very different right from the start of the season. It didn't work for long periods. At Burton we were anything but "all guns blazing", they were all over us for long periods.

In that first 11 games (which is all it was) that people think LJ can or will reproduce again in future, Tammy was on an unprecedented hot scoring streak that is almost impossible to achieve over the course of a season - this masked some weakness. We also only looked like a great attacking team at Fulham, for a half at Rotherham (obviously) a half at home to Villa, and just bursts of the Forest, Leeds and Wednesday games. Some of the problems that have become endemic now, were visible at times then. Results were good but in my view the football really wasn't besides those periods, so probably no more than 1 game, 2 halves, and some bits and pieces in 11 matches, Tammy scoring or featuring heavily in all of that. Otherwise we already exhibited the lack of pace, the compactness, the lack of variety in our attacking, and the standing off and lack of press. The problems have been around for a long time - teams didn't do a lot to figure out how to contain and beat us.

I am yet to be clear what the reproducible working football philosophy is that LJ is supposed to have produced already and be able to get us using again in future, that makes him worth persisting with, but I respect your loyalty nonetheless.

alright guns blazing is a over statement but what I had meant is that we would generally be more attacking then defensive. When comparing our style of play to the start of the season. I feel as if its gone more an more defensive as time has gone on.

Although you mention the Burton game and I have only gone to the Newcastle game so I can obviously go on the home games so sometimes you can forget the home games are not the whole picture. For instance fans on here said it was the same old being 2 nil up then letting them back into the game . For once it wasn't like that we just got outshone by there quality. which in turn  has made me realise how little information you can get from the the city twitter feed the live bbc feed etc or even the radio. So from now on will comment less post game on how we actually played unless I have been present at the game.

Bearing in mind there's only a couple of months of the season left it's not going to be possible to have a proper selection process for a new manager so it's either going to be a panic or temporary appointment, eg Pembo or Millen. LJ is probably still the best option if we can win against Burton and Norwich, by the time anyone else comes in and tries to change the way we play / assess the players it will be too late and could make things worse rather than better in the short term.

6 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

Not read one comment in the past 24 hours from any poster who wishes for Lee Johnson to stay whatsoever.Is there any member of this forum who  wishes this to be the case?

If so please respond.

I think he seems like a nice enough bloke but no I think he's had too many chances with City and blown them all. A new man with new ideas would inject some much-needed life into the team. Would be good to see someone who knows players strengths and uses them, sees their weaknesses and addresses them, but above all makes them feel like a TEAM, not eleven random blokes with a ball.

5 hours ago, ooRya said:

OK, let me try to explain why I want LJ to stay.

I don't believe this season was ever anything other than a building season, with one eye on next season being the year that we really give it a go to challenge for promotion. I believe that this was "the plan" for all concerned at the club.

In a lot of respects we are on schedule for this. We have the infrastructure - great ground and training facilities, and rumoured to be more on the way. We have an owner prepared to fund what's needed. We have Mark Ashton who has shown that he can negotiate to get the players into the club. And we have a clever upcoming manager (I'll come back to that). We are also showing all the signs of investing the right way into the academy/players for the future.

I've been supporting City for 40 years, and this is the first time that I've actually thought that everything is in place to really challenge for a push to the "promised land".

Sadly, and of course there's no hiding from it, results on the pitch have been awful, and seriously run the risk of ruining all of the above. BUT, as long as we stay in the Championship I would maintain that the targets set for this season have all pretty much been met, and then it comes down to the real thing next year.

Now, back to Lee.

For all of the above to work, I think we need to have a Head coach/Manager that believes in what the club are trying to do, and will readily buy in to "the plan". We have that with Lee. Obviously we also need to have a manger that knows how to win games, and again I believe that Lee does (OK I can hear everyone saying WTF! to that comment) Lee comes across as a very clever man and a tactician of the game, and currently I think this is where the problem lies. I think he is maybe one step ahead of where he wants the players to be, and this comes down to confidence/belief. Wasn't it Scott Golbourne that said recently something along the lines of "when we play the way we're asked to, and follow the game plan, everything works, it's only when we stop doing the right things that everything goes wrong".

Personally, I would like SL/The Board to have the conviction and the balls to see this through, and for what it's worth I don't believe City will be relegated this season.

I'd agree with this, probably my reasons why we should persevere. Although it wavered last week and then after yesterday as well

6 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

Not read one comment in the past 24 hours from any poster who wishes for Lee Johnson to stay whatsoever.Is there any member of this forum who  wishes this to be the case?

If so please respond.

Because he is a rather nice chap actually (well so say most of the 11 picked each match, as I suspect a new manager may not quite have the same love towards them...:hug:)

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I briefly take my hard hat off to you spud - a post full of explanation and anecdote. Hard hat back on.

I go to matches myself because it's a moment where I can take a break from life - sometimes it's a moment of respite, sometimes it's a moment of great joy, and sometimes it's none of those things:

After the game, I'll probably have chat with like minded people. It might be a whinge, it might be about a great goal/win but it's never vitriolic BS.

5 hours ago, Rascal said:

You need to find a club with more money than sense and sell him to them 

Ha ha, just like you did!

The mental fragility against Reading and Cardiff were enough for me to see that he wouldn't be able to inspire the confidence and belief that a Championship club needs.  We've looked mentally weak during previous seasons (under other managers) but during these two matches we folded under pressure with a frightning inevitability.  Players need to look towards the dugout and know that the tactics will see them over the line.

What's annoying is that it feels like we own a broken Ferrari.  Every now and then it starts up and sounds amazing (Fulham away, Derby and Newcastle away first half).  Then the engine rattles and the whole damn thing falls apart.  If we could just get the stupid car on the road and keep it ticking over, it could be amazing.  But it isn't - it's broken.

Fulham at home was one of the most abject displays I've seen in 30+ years of following the club.

Someone asked why I want him to stay so, here goes !

1. Being honest- I really liked him as a player, thought he was much maligned and I'm a bit sentimental for an underdog-I do realise that player& manager are two different things but I'm being honest here!

2. I posted on another thread about doing the same thing over and over again and always ending up with the same result which is something I feel we've seen a lot of over the years- maybe sticking with someone through the bad times could get us to the good times. Very few clubs have done this, perhaps SL will be a trail blazer.

3. Management is hard work when things go wrong. I know he's well paid etc etc but, speaking from experience sometimes you have to deal with a lot of rubbish before things come good. I've no idea whether the dressing room is lost or not but I do know how infuriating it is when you are very clear about what you want and people do something different. I agree this then requires action to deal with such people depending on whether it's deliberate or just a lack of understanding. Sometimes getting rid of those deliberately not doing what you're wanting takes time as does supporting the others to understand. I also know that things can then suddenly fall into place and you find you're improving. I want this to be the case!!

I don't expect many to agree but having been asked the question I've provided the answer (s) which work for me!

1. I didnt welcome his appointment.

2. I got behind him nonetheless, and really hoped he would be successful.

3. I believe he is 100% dedicated to the cause.

4. I think its time for SL to relieve him of his duties, before it gets real ugly.

5. Its driving me insane seeing the same crap every week, and its ruining my weekends!

16 minutes ago, Xiled said:

Ha ha, just like you did!

The mental fragility against Reading and Cardiff were enough for me to see that he wouldn't be able to inspire the confidence and belief that a Championship club needs.  We've looked mentally weak during previous seasons (under other managers) but during these two matches we folded under pressure with a frightning inevitability.  Players need to look towards the dugout and know that the tactics will see them over the line.

What's annoying is that it feels like we own a broken Ferrari.  Every now and then it starts up and sounds amazing (Fulham away, Derby and Newcastle away first half).  Then the engine rattles and the whole damn thing falls apart.  If we could just get the stupid car on the road and keep it ticking over, it could be amazing.  But it isn't - it's broken.

Fulham at home was one of the most abject displays I've seen in 30+ years of following the club.

I can think of more abject home displays than Fulham last week.. A lot more

6 hours ago, ooRya said:

Now, back to Lee.

He is incredibly smart.

He secured a hefty contract extension from a shrewd/astute? businessman before he had really acheived anything.

He also sold the fans "The Project" and  his love for the club.

He might be clever, but his house clearly ain't that big - he said he only needed three windows.

1 hour ago, KURTZ said:

1. I didnt welcome his appointment.

2. I got behind him nonetheless, and really hoped he would be successful.

3. I believe he is 100% dedicated to the cause.

4. I think its time for SL to relieve him of his duties, before it gets real ugly.

5. Its driving me insane seeing the same crap every week, and its ruining my weekends!

I think SL is being a bit cruel to be honest. And not only to us, but also to Lee. There is no way in this world that he will ever make it as a good BCFC manager after this season's cock-up. Good luck to him in the future (this wonderful, bright future that he may or may not have) and wherever he ends up.

In the meantime...

SL stop being a total (insert your word) and DO THE RIGHT THING

Archived