IGNORED

Worst City manager ever?

Septic Peg

Worst City manager ever  

327 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

26 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Seems to me only two candidates, possibly 3.

1. Benny Lennartson

2. Tony 'Tiny Penis' Pulis

3. Lee Johnson

4. Other (please specify in a post)

FWIW, it has to be Pulis for the most boring football ever, being a complete see you next Tuesday and all his 'off field' activities such as flogging Akinbiyi for personal gain. The bloke is a stain on our history. 

No contest on your thoughts on Pulis.. But whilst it's definitely time for Lee to go, does he really even deserve to be mentioned in the same post / poll as that ****? For all of his failings, he's tried, he left a reasonably comfortable position to come here and there's no doubt he Is hurting....

7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I've attended football matches for 45 years. The only time I've ever fallen asleep at a match was during SOD's time here.

The football was as tedious as the didactic football theories he delivered in a grating monotone. 

Add to the fact, he thought he could walk on water and you have by a country mile the worst period of my City supporting life.

I couldn't have put it better myself!

7 minutes ago, Bullbag said:

Johnson.

Two reasons, awful football and results and the huge funds he's had available to him.

2nd,  Pulis.

SOD wasn't great either.

Not defending Johnson as such, but what is our wage bill at this level? By which I mean how does it compare to the other sides at the level- my hunch is lower midtable so we are still underachieving but not wildly so. Yes I think he needs to go but a comparison of wage bills would be useful and interesting (conversely, Barnsley and Preston are very much overachieving). Burton are also probably doing better than they should.

So about 5 votes for SOD, 2 for Coppell and 1 for Osman in the others I reckon.

Still gobsmacked that LJ is getting a higher poll than Pulis but I suppose younger fans wouldn't have seen him in action. 

I tried to balance results v personalities v style of football when I surmised the options. Perhaps I shouldn't have put Benny on it and put SOD instead after his flippy flappy TV interview...

32 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

However, had the option been there, I would probably have voted for Coppell. His unwillingness to take the job seriously showed utter contempt for the club and its supporters. Johnson may be struggling but he's putting the hours in. Coppell was a Tony Dinning of a manager: he just couldn't be bothered.

If rumours are correct he couldn't be bothered because he was undermined by the top man. Unlike everyone else, he had the integrity to walk away from a job that wasn't the one he was apparently promised.

7 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

If rumours are correct he couldn't be bothered because he was undermined by the top man. Unlike everyone else, he had the integrity to walk away from a job that wasn't the one he was apparently promised.

He got the job in April. He didn't turn up for work until at least June.

As I recall he didn't even bother to come and watch the team in those last 2 months of the season.

He'd have known what he was getting himself into if he'd done his due diligence.

He'd have known within days or at least weeks what things were like at the club. He could have walked away at any point.

Instead he made a half arsed effort at pre-season, spent money on names he already knew (plus Adomah, which was a good signing and I have to give him that) and then "had the integrity to walk away" when it became clear the season was going to be anything but a stately procession towards promotion.

I have zero sympathy for the man. I don't care what he was promised, or what SL allegedly did or did not do. I care about what Steve Coppell did, which was less than nothing, before flouncing off in a huff, leaving Millen to clear up his mess. I find the idea that anyone could describe that as "integrity" somewhat baffling.

1 minute ago, BCFC_Dan said:

He got the job in April. He didn't turn up for work until at least June.

As I recall he didn't even bother to come and watch the team in those last 2 months of the season.

He'd have known what he was getting himself into if he'd done his due diligence.

He'd have known within days or at least weeks what things were like at the club. He could have walked away at any point.

Instead he made a half arsed effort at pre-season, spent money on names he already knew (plus Adomah, which was a good signing and I have to give him that) and then "had the integrity to walk away" when it became clear the season was going to be anything but a stately procession towards promotion.

I have zero sympathy for the man. I don't care what he was promised, or what SL allegedly did or did not do. I care about what Steve Coppell did, which was less than nothing, before flouncing off in a huff, leaving Millen to clear up his mess. I find the idea that anyone could describe that as "integrity" somewhat baffling.

How do you know all of the above Dan? genuine question.

1 minute ago, Loon plage said:

How do you know all of the above Dan? genuine question.

Which bit? He was definitely announced as the next manager in April but had "commitments", which prevented him from even watching the team play out the end of the season under Millen. I remember being quite disappointed about that at the time, though I was still excited at having such a high profile name in charge.

The rest is clear just from what happened. I don't know what went on with SL or who signed David James. I don't care. If Coppell was undermined by the signing, why didn't he resign there and then?

I have no insider information or anything, I just know what was reported, and it's not consistent with a man being sold a job on a false premise, it's consistent with a man who took a job and then decided it was too much like hard work.

1. O'Driscoll has to be up there but bear in mind he had no £ and was asked to undertake a rebuild of the club, which he did. A lot of the nucleus of the double winning side came from SOD.He was also being given the team sheet by all accounts by certain board members and was happy to sing to their tune. Cotterill only came in because he would not work under that structure. Given we were heading to League Two the board had little choice to adhere to his wishes. Plainly this was also the reason he went as it is clear SL wanted to bring in Ashton to run the club and Cotterill was having none of it.....

2. Johnson has to be the leading candidate because unlike all of our other managers, he has been given the resources and has simply not delivered.  When has a Bristol City manager been able to leave million pound players out of the side? Tomlin, Magnusson, Moore, Engvall, O'Dowda... It is really shocking at the resources this guy has had and we are 4th from bottom.... For that reason, he is the worst manager because he can have NO excuses.  

30 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

At least Osman achieved something which will be remembered forever, LJ has done nothing despite spending more than any of his predicessors, however for me SOD has to be on the list, took us down, awful football.  

Done nothing but keep us up comfortably when we looked doomed last season... May not have worked out this season but at least give the guy some credit for what he did.

2 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Seems to me only two candidates, possibly 3.

1. Benny Lennartson

2. Tony 'Tiny Penis' Pulis

3. Lee Johnson

4. Other (please specify in a post)

FWIW, it has to be Pulis for the most boring football ever, being a complete see you next Tuesday and all his 'off field' activities such as flogging Akinbiyi for personal gain. The bloke is a stain on our history. 

not sure what number my post was but when you were at school should have done history :-) 

26 minutes ago, reddoh said:

not sure what number my post was but when you were at school should have done history :-) 

I did. Just my stupid history teachers were more interested in teaching me about the Battle of Hastings or Alexander Fleming's discovery of penicillin.

I think if the history of BCFC had been on the syllabus, half the boys in my class would have paid a lot more attention! Regrettably, the other half were gasheads so would have failed miserably...

Just looked up the stats and LJ has a 38% win record which is statistically better than Alan Dicks 33%

In fact since GJ left (40%) McInnes (27%) and SOD (25%) are the worst (I have excluded caretaker stints).

In fact LJ ranks 16/41 managers in our history according to the managers statistics site.

10 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

I did. Just my stupid history teachers were more interested in teaching me about the Battle of Hastings or Alexander Fleming's discovery of penicillin.

I think if the history of BCFC had been on the syllabus, half the boys in my class would have paid a lot more attention! Regrettably, the other half were gasheads so would have failed miserably...

don't worry the gasheads have failed miserably ever since.just too remind you the battle of hastings was actually in battle, Harold lost an eye(careless) defense keep an eye on the ball and Fleming invented the thing for the man who had everything he needs.

Archived