IGNORED

Worst City manager ever?

Septic Peg

Worst City manager ever  

327 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

21 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

Just looked up the stats and LJ has a 38% win record which is statistically better than Alan Dicks 33%

In fact since GJ left (40%) McInnes (27%) and SOD (25%) are the worst (I have excluded caretaker stints).

In fact LJ ranks 16/41 managers in our history according to the managers statistics site.

So, better than Alan Dicks and more than one poster has compared his early tenure here to that of Alex Ferguson.

Looks like we could be on to a winner here lads and lasses.......

2 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

I only put Benny in because the results under him were woeful. The bloke himself is a nice chap and he really tried his best with what John Ward left behind after he threw his toys out the pram.

There was slow, gradual improvement under Benny. The opposite is happening under Johnson.

Because Benny took over such a complete mess his improvement wasn't sufficient to keep us up.

Johnson has had sufficient stability, been given sufficient money, players, patience, support - drones! - to keep us up comfortably. The results have been beyond pitiful.  

Lee Johnson for me is the worst Manager we have had, simple as.

Has had more money to spend than any other Man and yet still has the worst losing run a City team has had. I could not blame SOD, McInnes and Millen entirely for the garbage that was at our club at the time as the players were ban average and couldnt be sold on due to long contracts. 

Thought we had learned our lesson than Johnson Jr comes along and its the same thing all over again.

2 hours ago, nimrod said:

Russell Osman must be right up there.

His style of football was dreadful but let's not forget - he was given virtually no money to spend - NONE.

Compare that to the unprecendented riches given to the present joker and it's obvious who's the bigger failure, wouldn't you say?

And no-one can take that night at Anfield away from Osman either.

2 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

SOD was a total disaster from start to finish.  He got us relegated without a whimper and would have got us relegated to League 2 if he had stayed.  However bad LJ has been for the last 4 and a half months, he prevented a relegation last season and did well for 2 and a half months this season.  Osman also kept us up 1 season, and what we would give for a manager who could grind out a result these days! So its a SOD from me...

Total rubbish. Pemberton kept us up and we rode are luck for the first couple of months this year. Anyone with half an idea of football could see our early season position was false and wouldn't last. LJ hasn't a clue what he's doing. Doesn't know his best team, formation, tactics or anything other than how to brown tongue SL

Tiny Penis was the worst manager I can remember.

"Triffic" Tony loved a six footer so we signed Steve "the tan" Jones & Peter Beadle. 

Jonesey looked awkward & hapless but had a wonderful tan. Beads of course was tainted with gas

At the time these signings were so uninspiring that when one of them scored there was only a ripple of polite applause around Ashton Gate. Never witnessed that before.  

Dreadful bloke, sucked the life out of the club. Odious.

Russell Osman has to come close simply because he helped to get rid of Jacki in favour of players like the "prolific" Liam Robinson.

19 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

His style of football was dreadful but let's not forget - he was given virtually no money to spend - NONE.

Compare that to the unprecendented riches given to the present joker and it's obvious who's the bigger failure, wouldn't you say?

Be fair, LJ beat Fleetwood after a replay...

30 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

As many went to Anfield as could stomach watching City at Ashton Gate. His style of football was so poor that gates reduced by up to 50%. That is like Newcastle losing 25000 fans in less than a season. The drop in away attendances where Russell Osman really got to massage his defensive rocks off was even bigger. 

And no-one can take away from Osman scoring a winning goal at Ashton Gate and being booed by thousands for it.

Lee Johnson has broken a record of losses, so result wise, yes. He has also spent more money than any other manager, so for funds, yes. 

He is totally inept and doesn't know how to handle a relatively decent squad at this level. He's not proven himself at any level in management and I don't see a bright future for him.

So for those reasons, it has to be Lee Johnson followed by O'Driscoll.

JOHNSON OUT

4 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

He has also spent more money than any other manager, so for funds, yes. 

But things cost less in the past, Lew. You are not comparing like for like.

If Osman had sold someone for £14m when he was here he would have set a then world record.

I read that in 1994, Chris Sutton was the UK's highest paid footballer on 10K a week. In 1979, it was Shilts on £1200 a week. Nowadays doesn't Pogba earn £300K a week, or some crap?!!!

18 minutes ago, Nongazeuse said:

Didn't we go from March to October 2013 without a league win ie 0 in 8 months - Sean O? 

I'm no Sean O'Driscoll sympathiser, but even I didn't expect him to win many games in May, June and July!

There have been a few howlers over the years, post Alan Dicks we suffered with Bob Houghton, Pulis bought the walking wounded, O'Driscoll was dire, but given the relative wealth of resources at his disposal, in terms of infrastructure and playing resources, I'm voting Lee Johnson. I never want any manager to fail, but given the quality in our squad, the money he has spent, the training facilities and stadium etc. the sheer scale of his failure overshadows ALL his predecessors.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

But things cost less in the past, Lew. You are not comparing like for like.

If Osman had sold someone for £14m when he was here he would have set a then world record.

I read that in 1994, Chris Sutton was the UK's highest paid footballer on 10K a week. In 1979, it was Shilts on £1200 a week. Nowadays doesn't Pogba earn £300K a week, or some crap?!!!

Good point of course.

However most of the money spent are on the bench every week? I just think LJ is a poor coach, manager etc. He cannot deal with this squad and still doesn't know his best team or formation.

This is not Cotterill's team anymore, there are no more excuses for him not to deliver.

9 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Good point of course.

However most of the money spent are on the bench every week? I just think LJ is a poor coach, manager etc. He cannot deal with this squad and still doesn't know his best team or formation.

This is not Cotterill's team anymore, there are no more excuses for him not to deliver.

No argument there, my friend! 

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

As many went to Anfield as could stomach watching City at Ashton Gate. His style of football was so poor that gates reduced by up to 50%. That is like Newcastle losing 25000 fans in less than a season. The drop in away attendances where Russell Osman really got to massage his defensive rocks off was even bigger. 

And no-one can take away from Osman scoring a winning goal at Ashton Gate and being booed by thousands for it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Osman apologist.

Which is why I started by saying "his style of football was dreadful".

I've looked back through the league tables for two relegated teams.

1932 W6 D11 L25 (only won 3 of the first 33 games and relegated by Christmas - Manager Joe Bradshaw)  

1960 W11 D5 L26 (Manager Peter Doherty)  

The 1932 team picked up fewest points, but the 1960 team lost most games. Does that make Bradshaw or Doherty City's worst, or did we simply have a poor set of players?

7 hours ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

That vote so far is quite emphatic, almost 67%,  who would have thought that Little Lee would have polled more that Tony Pulis.  Just shows how much our fans want him out.

Or that many are too young to have suffered the Pulis nightmare :o

1 hour ago, 22A said:

I've looked back through the league tables for two relegated teams.

1932 W6 D11 L25 (only won 3 of the first 33 games and relegated by Christmas - Manager Joe Bradshaw)  

1960 W11 D5 L26 (Manager Peter Doherty)  

The 1932 team picked up fewest points, but the 1960 team lost most games. Does that make Bradshaw or Doherty City's worst, or did we simply have a poor set of players?

Dohertry nearly destroyed the club by trying to replace the squad with players from his old club, Doncaster.

It's a tough one as it highlights how many poor managers have been here.   In fact nobody has mentioned Brian Tinnion and he wouldn't be the worst and, quite rightfully, is stll held in high esteem for his playing years here but it does show the Club aren't great at selecting managers.

Coppell signed Nicky Hunt which helps his claim and I suspect if he has been in post longer we would have had a few more like that.

Lee's has had a better budget than all of them and has the record of the worst ever run but I have to give the accolade to SO'D for being so obnoxious, arrogant and patronising when his dismal managerial record and drab performances required humility.  How he loved to wear the Emperor's clothes.  Presented himself as a coach who played attractive passing football yet route one was his preferred style.  

Archived