IGNORED

OTIB - The vocal minority..?

Bar BS3

Before I start, this is not meant to be divisive, it's a genuine, serious question. 

Before yesterday there were calls for hankies, chants, protests, amongst other things, yet the reality was another (very) well attended fixture, where the crowd did their best to create an atmosphere and until the final whistle (rightly imo) the crowd were not "in meltdown" as predicted. 

Of course, nobody is happy with the current run or position, but is it a case of fan disillusionment being largely inflated by a vocal, repetitive minority on here that makes everything seem quite as anti-LJ as it appears on here..?

I know many/most believe a change is due, but the vitriol spouted by some on here really doesn't appear so evident actually in & around the ground. 

Thoughts...?

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Before I start, this is not meant to be divisive, it's a genuine, serious question. 

Before yesterday there were calls for hankies, chants, protests, amongst other things, yet the reality was another (very) well attended fixture, where the crowd did their best to create an atmosphere and until the final whistle (rightly imo) the crowd were not "in meltdown" as predicted. 

Of course, nobody is happy with the current run or position, but is it a case of fan disillusionment being largely inflated by a vocal, repetitive minority on here that makes everything seem quite as anti-LJ as it appears on here..?

I know many/most believe a change is due, but the vitriol spouted by some on here really doesn't appear so evident actually in & around the ground. 

Thoughts...?

A lot of the people on here don't go to the games and the people who post tend to be those with the strongest feelings. I agree the crowd were very supportive yesterday, could see the team was trying and wasn't being done any favours by the officials, nothing like the Fulham game when a lot of people were angry because the players didn't seem to put the effort in.

I think a huge majority of all fans want him gone. All the lads I drink with and attend games with want Johnson out pretty much unanimously, and barely any of them are on this forum. I think most at the gate are just genuine passionate fans that want the team to do well hence the lack of vitriol during the 90mins. 

They were particularly quick on the tannoy after yesterday's final whistle too. Not a conincendence if you ask me. 

It's a good observation. Otib gives the impression that every fan wants LJ/SL/MA gone given the number of repetitive threads on here. Yet the view when at games seems to give a different perspective - given there are no walk outs/Protests etc.  Aston Gate must be full of 'Happy Clappers' on match days.

It would be difficult to argue that posters on OTIB are either a majority...I doubt there are enough registered users to make that claim...or that they're not "vocal"...the whole point of joining an online forum being, surely, to express opinions. Which means that posters here are opinionated, and probably more happy to express those opinions than those who know of the existence of OTIB but don't engage.

That said, yesterday a significant number of fans in the Dolman and Atyeo were calling for Johnson to go at the end. Those same fans had supported the team enthusiastically throughout the match. That very little was heard of the chanting at the end was due entirely to the cranking up of "Blackbird" the moment the match was over. The players drifted around on the pitch unsure how to react to the boo-ing, but I doubt much of it was heard behind the glass of the posh enclosures.

It seems to me that those wanting LJ out can't win. Either they shout for him to go during the match - as against Fulham - in which case they are bad supporters for not getting behind the team, or they wait until the match is over and are bad protestors because they went unheard. 

It hardly matters whether OTIB is a majority or not...it's representative of supporters who feel passionately about the club, a significant number. And the majority on here, it seems, want Johnson out, not least because his dwindling band of supporters have failed to advance a single credible reason why he should stay.

It is strange, everygame the people I speak to want him gone and there was more vitriol in the Fulham game. I think it is a mixture of the majority are apathetic and want to back the team during the game plus many are so despondent that protestations have been driven out of them. Shame we play music straight after the final whistle as it drowns out any response.

11 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Thoughts...?

Great post. I think you have a point. I think it is only a minority that have had enough. I expect the majority are content with where LJ is taking us. Why wouldnt they be???

Spot on Bar BS3, OTIB is basically made up of the corner of fans that love it when we're on a losing run so that they have something to whine about. While I and nobody else likes the idea of relegation looming, but these people will never be happy with anything that Bristol City achieves. They'll either whine about something else or will just keep quiet until we go through a bad spell. You've hit the nail on the head, OTIB is not a clear reflection of the fans overall.

I was there and I booed towards the manager and coaches at the end. 

I wasn't going to start shouting a protesting during the match because I want City to win after all. 

There were noisy protests in the Dolman-South Stand corner during the game. I didn't join in, and won't comment on whether it is wrong or right, but can understand why it was done.

This is why earlier on I extrapolated the poll figures compared with yesterday's attendance. 

Truthfully, the masses at AG might or might not be behind LJ. I think Tuesday time will tell. I believe that many on here intend to hand out flyers suggesting a delayed walk in (10 minutes after kick off) or flyers to suggest not purchasing food or drink.

I have no idea whether firstly, the flyers will happen and secondly, if people are willing to take part.

We shall see.

If LJ was their manager, the majority of fans at every football club in the country ( world) ) would want him sacked.

His results record over the last 4-5 months, plus the dour football played all season is their for all to see. 

Every City fan I know wants him gone, none of them post on here.

In support of the OP. Consider that petition to rename the Colston Hall. Bristol's population is over 400,000. 1,500 have signed the petition. It's the vocal minority who take action and are considered to representative of us all.

I think you'll see that it's not a minority on Tuesday. Burton was seen by many as a game we could win & we were told all week we should get behind them and see what happens.

People would've realised it makes no difference & come Tuesday if he's not gone the gate will be a very vitriolic place.

18 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Great post. I think you have a point. I think it is only a minority that have had enough. I expect the majority are content with where LJ is taking us. Why wouldnt they be???

A point is all we can muster these days.

13 minutes ago, JammyOne said:

Spot on Bar BS3, OTIB is basically made up of the corner of fans that love it when we're on a losing run so that they have something to whine about. While I and nobody else likes the idea of relegation looming, but these people will never be happy with anything that Bristol City achieves. They'll either whine about something else or will just keep quiet until we go through a bad spell. You've hit the nail on the head, OTIB is not a clear reflection of the fans overall.

Oh dear! Why don't you go back and trawl through this forum this time 2 years ago....................

15 minutes ago, JammyOne said:

Utter bollocks

34 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Thoughts...?

I quite agree.

Let's be fair, if Dyer hadn't had missed the easiest chance he will ever have AG would of gone into meltdown and it would of been even more toxic than Fulham, the fact that we weren't losing meant the crowd, rightly so, were behind them to an extent

I don't think it's a minority who want him gone. I also think it's a bit strong to use the word 'vitriol', considering the rubbish we have to watch. I think most have behaved very well. No personal insults, there have been some compliments about his personality. It's incontrovertible that he isn't getting the results that his position requires.

This forum largely has the same opinion on this matter. What else would you expect? Perhaps people with different opinions should post on here, but they don't. So what do they do? Not talk about it? Or is there an LJ fans forum?

Yesterday was 0-0 and we were still in with a chance of taking all three points, I think that is the reason why there wasn't the protest and booing during the game. If we went a goal down and lost it would have been a different story.

This forum isn't a true reflection but the league table is. Many fans hacked off but won't boo at 0-0 because we are still in the game. Try going 2 or 3 down before half time and then the vocals will start in earnest. How anyone can be ok with what is going on at Ashton Gate beggars belief it really does. We are a joke and a complete laughing stock.

30 minutes ago, BITW said:

........They were particularly quick on the tannoy after yesterday's final whistle too. Not a conincendence if you ask me. 

I thought the same thing at the end of the match. Not only quick, but extra volume. To me, it seemed to be a deliberate policy of let's make as much noise as possible to make sure the disapproval from the plebs can't be heard 

Archived