IGNORED

OTIB - The vocal minority..?

Bar BS3

I don't live in Bristol and such as life is many of my mates support other teams (mainly on telly) but every one who talks football can't believe that we are so bad and keep a manager that has one of the worst records in football history.

making bristol proud is someone else's vain idea and it's going to cost us!

2 hours ago, The_Don said:

Spot on, plenty of people on this forum give it the big un, but yesterday showed what a minuscule percentage of our support is represented on here.

Of course it's a small percentage, that's obvious. We're averaging about 19k this season, we take 45k to the big occasions, but there are probably a few hundred regular posters on the forum.

The question is whether that small percentage is representative of the whole fanbase. Although it may tend slightly towards the extreme, on the basis that you're more likely to offer an opinion on here if it's a strong one, I think it's reasonable to assume it's broadly representative. The forum is open to all and doesn't discriminate in any way, and therefore represents a reasonable cross section of the fanbase. On the issue of Johnson, it's not hard to imagine that most fans outside of this forum don't consider it acceptable to be in the relegation zone and think someone else should be in charge - they are just likely to be less vocal than those on here who take the time to post their views on the internet.

Allowing for that "extreme" factor I mentioned above, if 95% of fans on the forum want Johnson gone then I think you could probably say that is accurate within 10-15% or so.

Edit - just realised @Alessandro has said much the same above.

It's a really hard one. I am a big LJ fan ( ducks!!) but can see how bizarre this looks to others and also see why people want him to go. My thoughts are that, should he be sacked, we just replicate the years and years that have gone by where we crash& burn each season (I accept with a few exceptions... I liked Cotteril too!!).

What I don't like, on this forum, is the personal insults and nastiness towards our head coach and, equally as importantly, to our fans. We may have different opinions but the level of ( keyboard) aggression towards each other is dreadful. Surely we can hold differing opinions without the animosity which comes from certain posters. 

I DO like LJ, I'm neither gas ( wash my mouth out with soap), nor a member of Johnson's or Lansdown's family but I do care, do have an opinion and do expect that I can be heard without personal abuse directed at my intelligence, loyalty or anything else.

Sadly I think SL will sack him but I genuinely think we will be here again next year which is why I am holding true. This is the club LJ has always wanted to manage... ( I expect he is asking himself why just now!!), he wants it as much, maybe more, than we all do... So, should we crash and burn with yet another manager or should we play the long game with someone whose "DNA" is with this club for better or for worse???

Not a populist view , I know, but I feel the need to counter the negativity on here... Love you all!!!

A=Vocal minority.

It's easy to be vocal on here and other sites. You might get a bit of stick on here, but you can ignore it easily enough.

Less so to do it at the ground where someone might punch you in the face (we've all seen it/heard about it), give you verbals, or you feel in the minority even if you do manage to get a few people joining in with you. Difficult to withstand that (in person) v being able to ignore it or get into a slanging match online.

It'd be interesting to know what % of posting (as opposed to just reading) otibbers go to matches (lots of otibbers just read, but don't post, surely? I know many like that). I'd guess at less than half? Regularly go to games, I mean. (Not saying they should, many of them are abroad). Out of a 17,000 crowd, only a small % are vociferous, persistent posters on here. 

Nothing wrong with all that - before I cop it. Just how it seems to me. A vocal minority.

45 minutes ago, RedKatieScarlett said:

It's a really hard one. I am a big LJ fan ( ducks!!) but can see how bizarre this looks to others and also see why people want him to go. My thoughts are that, should he be sacked, we just replicate the years and years that have gone by where we crash& burn each season (I accept with a few exceptions... I liked Cotteril too!!).

What I don't like, on this forum, is the personal insults and nastiness towards our head coach and, equally as importantly, to our fans. We may have different opinions but the level of ( keyboard) aggression towards each other is dreadful. Surely we can hold differing opinions without the animosity which comes from certain posters. 

I DO like LJ, I'm neither gas ( wash my mouth out with soap), nor a member of Johnson's or Lansdown's family but I do care, do have an opinion and do expect that I can be heard without personal abuse directed at my intelligence, loyalty or anything else.

Sadly I think SL will sack him but I genuinely think we will be here again next year which is why I am holding true. This is the club LJ has always wanted to manage... ( I expect he is asking himself why just now!!), he wants it as much, maybe more, than we all do... So, should we crash and burn with yet another manager or should we play the long game with someone whose "DNA" is with this club for better or for worse???

Not a populist view , I know, but I feel the need to counter the negativity on here... Love you all!!!

Thing is Katie, none of your reasons for wanting him to stay amount to anything if you lack faith in him to turn things around. Clearly you have that faith...but I'm looking for evidence that he is anything other than hopelessly out of his depth and I see none. He's had long enough, he's made a complete pigs ear of the job. Most of the criticism on here and at the ground is pretty measured. Fact is many of us coughed up hundreds of pounds expecting to be entertained this season...and we feel mugs, hence the negativity. 

I think that the vast majority of fans know we're going down with LJ in charge and realise that nothing they say or do will change that. That's why the protests at the games have quietened down.

Personally, I'll go further. Even if we had a burst of "New Manager Syndrome", the inevitable slump afterwards would take us down. The question is who will try to push us back up the hill from the Third Division. Frankly, I'm beginning not to care.

1 hour ago, Aizoon said:

I think that the vast majority of fans know we're going down with LJ in charge and realise that nothing they say or do will change that. That's why the protests at the games have quietened down.

Personally, I'll go further. Even if we had a burst of "New Manager Syndrome", the inevitable slump afterwards would take us down. The question is who will try to push us back up the hill from the Third Division. Frankly, I'm beginning not to care.

count me out that thought is repulsive try @Rudolf Hucker

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

Thank god that otib isn't representing the majority of city fans! 

do we not have 19000 members ( please remember they don't actually have to log on) I think they only have to be within 32 miles of a PC not necessarily there own

4 hours ago, Akira said:

I noticed that tannoy announcement appeared very quickly after the whistle too. Definitely not a coincidence. 

Don't like the club trying to hide what is going on. From LJ being ushered away the other day from a interview, to now trying to drown out fans at full time. 

Seems more like burying your head in the sand! 

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Is that what happened?

It was strange - at the final season here is usually some silence for the thanks to cheer, clap the team going down the tunnel and as this happens the crowd figure announced and thank you for coming to AG, then music starts as the players walk around everyone clapping each other. At Burton as soon as the ref whistle went it went straight into crowd attendance, at a really loud volume and then straight into song again more loudly than normal - even took some of the players by surprise as they walked towards the crowd to appluad them.

5 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

This is why earlier on I extrapolated the poll figures compared with yesterday's attendance. 

Truthfully, the masses at AG might or might not be behind LJ. I think Tuesday time will tell. I believe that many on here intend to hand out flyers suggesting a delayed walk in (10 minutes after kick off) or flyers to suggest not purchasing food or drink.

I have no idea whether firstly, the flyers will happen and secondly, if people are willing to take part.

We shall see.

Sorry Peg I like your posts but will boycott the pies (never had one) but will have a drink (had probably far to many).

20 minutes ago, reddoh said:

Sorry Peg I like your posts but will boycott the pies (never had one) but will have a drink (had probably far to many).

Think somehow you might need a pint or 5 come 9.30pm Tuesday evening! I won't begrudge you that mate!

1 minute ago, Septic Peg said:

Think somehow you might need a pint or 5 come 9.30pm Tuesday evening! I won't begrudge you that mate!

I may have had 3 by the time I get there, the Cardiff 6 0 was far better after a few than if I had been sober , Burton wish I had been drunk

Archived