IGNORED

OTIB - The vocal minority..?

Bar BS3

23 minutes ago, JammyOne said:

Spot on Bar BS3, OTIB is basically made up of the corner of fans that love it when we're on a losing run so that they have something to whine about. While I and nobody else likes the idea of relegation looming, but these people will never be happy with anything that Bristol City achieves. They'll either whine about something else or will just keep quiet until we go through a bad spell. You've hit the nail on the head, OTIB is not a clear reflection of the fans overall.

The forum is just a place for people who like to talk about the club, I imagine it's pretty representative of the fan base over all. If people feel their is to much negativity they can always create posts saying they support LJ, why things are not so bad, or hang in things will get better - the fact they don't I would suggest is that they are in a minority, the majority are probably not posting LJ out, or Happy Clappers - but just downtrodden fans waiting for things to change one way or another - 

1 minute ago, pongo88 said:

I thought the same thing at the end of the match. Not only quick, but extra volume. To me, it seemed to be a deliberate policy of let's make as much noise as possible to make sure the disapproval from the plebs can't be heard 

Dissent will not be tolerated!

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I thought the same thing at the end of the match. Not only quick, but extra volume. To me, it seemed to be a deliberate policy of let's make as much noise as possible to make sure the disapproval from the plebs can't be heard 

How interesting... this didn't click to me at the time but now I think back, the Johnson out chanting from the lower tier of the Dolman as people were exiting did get drowned out by the PA...

5 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

That's exactly what they did. The dictatorship in full force.

vocal minority ? everyone who sits around me in the lansdown stand wants him gone, i dont personally know of a single city fan who doesnt want him gone, everyone in my family and we have been going for four generations wants him gone, the only place i have seen any support for him at all is on here and they are evaporating on a weekly basis. oh and while im at it JOHNSON OUT!

42 minutes ago, BITW said:

I think a huge majority of all fans want him gone. All the lads I drink with and attend games with want Johnson out pretty much unanimously, and barely any of them are on this forum. I think most at the gate are just genuine passionate fans that want the team to do well hence the lack of vitriol during the 90mins. 

They were particularly quick on the tannoy after yesterday's final whistle too. Not a conincendence if you ask me. 

I noticed that tannoy announcement appeared very quickly after the whistle too. Definitely not a coincidence. 

Don't like the club trying to hide what is going on. From LJ being ushered away the other day from a interview, to now trying to drown out fans at full time. 

Seems more like burying your head in the sand! 

I am a ST holder in the SS and all the people that sit around me and in nearby seats want him gone and have done for some time,also the bus home is full of the fans with the same opinion. Most of these people don't use OTIB but I believe if you had a way of registering a vote at the ground on wether he should stay or be sacked I think you'll find the majority of fans would give you the true depth of the LJ out feeling and then you would know how the majority actually feel.

OTIB is a sounding board, I suspect there are plenty on here who will give the team their full support whilst at the game but use this place and other social media outlets to blow off steam and voice their frustration.

I'd be interested to see whether those with the strongest, most aggressive opinions on here are the same in person at the match. Some will be, but I bet a lot aren't. Not so much in terms of booing or criticism etc, but the full on vitriol that's been witnessed on here towards Johnson, Lansdown, Ashton and various players.

I dunno how representative this site is but most surely want him out by now.

The club maybe trying to clamp down on dissent? Yep- is what clubs do, football clubs in general these days especially don't like it for commercial and PR reasons.

But I think a majority want him out absolutely. As an aside I sent- and is a tiny sample- but 6 uni mates a simple poll. None support City or even from here, "2 wins in 20- Back or sack?" All said sack. Point is no clubs fans would endorse such a manager and unsure why ours would differ. (I didn't state the club either).

24 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It was the same at the end of the Fulham game, the tannoy bloke sounded like he was on steroids.

15 minutes ago, tts_city said:

vocal minority ? everyone who sits around me in the lansdown stand wants him gone, i dont personally know of a single city fan who doesnt want him gone, everyone in my family and we have been going for four generations wants him gone, the only place i have seen any support for him at all is on here and they are evaporating on a weekly basis. oh and while im at it JOHNSON OUT!

I don't think any supporter base in the world would be fully behind a manager with LJ's record over the last 4 months. I'm not suggesting the support base don't want change. 

I'm suggesting the vitriol, personal abuse, insults and inaccurate accusations on LJ not caring, without mentioning the unbelievable drivel being aimed by some towards SL, MA & anything else they can attack, is largely limited (thankfully) to a vocal minority on here and not representative of the majority of those who attend games, who have (in general) been very patient/reasonable during that period. 

56 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Before I start, this is not meant to be divisive, it's a genuine, serious question. 

Before yesterday there were calls for hankies, chants, protests, amongst other things, yet the reality was another (very) well attended fixture, where the crowd did their best to create an atmosphere and until the final whistle (rightly imo) the crowd were not "in meltdown" as predicted. 

Of course, nobody is happy with the current run or position, but is it a case of fan disillusionment being largely inflated by a vocal, repetitive minority on here that makes everything seem quite as anti-LJ as it appears on here..?

I know many/most believe a change is due, but the vitriol spouted by some on here really doesn't appear so evident actually in & around the ground. 

Thoughts...?

Of course it was well attended.  I'm a supporter of the club, team that takes the field of play.  I would like Johnson to turn it around.  Do I think he will?  No.  Do I therefore want him replaced?  Yes.  

Will I boo the players?  No

Will I boo the manager?  No

Do I blame fans from doing either of the above?  No

Do I still want Johnson replaced?  Yes, I haven't changed my mind since para 1.

So, just because the game is well attended, and not everyone boos, do not think that those that want him out are in the minority.  There;s a saying that "the silence is deafening".

i don't think me booing is 1) the kinda thing I do, 2) will achieve anything.  Others may disagree.

Not everyone with a different view, spouts vitriol from either side of the fence.  It is poosible to debate with reasoned rationale, accept others points, even though opposed.  

38 minutes ago, JammyOne said:

Spot on Bar BS3, OTIB is basically made up of the corner of fans that love it when we're on a losing run so that they have something to whine about. While I and nobody else likes the idea of relegation looming, but these people will never be happy with anything that Bristol City achieves. They'll either whine about something else or will just keep quiet until we go through a bad spell. You've hit the nail on the head, OTIB is not a clear reflection of the fans overall.

I hate us losing, it spoils my and my son's day.  Even my missus has a go and says things like, you're grumpy, they must've lost.  I don't moan, I use my knowledge of playing, watching, talking to others who've played and watched, or been involved in the pro game to form my debating points.  Of course there are extremes to the bell curve of what we are part of on this forum.  I think very few want us to lose.  Done if course think that a loss will spring SL into action.  Again, I'm one who wants Johnson, replaced.  

Do I want to City to lose?  No

38 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

I was there and I booed towards the manager and coaches at the end. 

I wasn't going to start shouting a protesting during the match because I want City to win after all. 

There were noisy protests in the Dolman-South Stand corner during the game. I didn't join in, and won't comment on whether it is wrong or right, but can understand why it was done.

Totally your prerogative - glad you feel comfortable to express your views in the way you did. 

23 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Utter bollocks

I resisted that reply. :P

22 minutes ago, Rednwhiterob said:

I quite agree.

Why don't you give some reason as well.  Happy for you to agree, but tell us why, or else is reads as 'we are right, everyone who disagrees is wrong'. Not having a go, just want to read the debate.  I'm guilty if doing that too, but just as I got:

@Londoner and @ivorguy

to explain their reasons, when they did it made me understand a number of their replies, it might help me with yours.  Feel free not to if you like though.

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I don't think any supporter base in the world would be fully behind a manager with LJ's record over the last 4 months. I'm not suggesting the support base don't want change. 

I'm suggesting the vitriol, personal abuse, insults and inaccurate accusations on LJ not caring, without mentioning the unbelievable drivel being aimed by some towards SL, MA & anything else they can attack, is largely limited (thankfully) to a vocal minority on here and not representative of the majority of those who attend games, who have (in general) been very patient/reasonable during that period. 

Ahh right i see your point i suppose its easy to hammer the keyboard in frustration, but when SL asks the fans to boo after the 90 if they still felt inclined but to then get it drowned out with the tannoy is a bit naughty imo.

I had this exact same thought during the game. There was nothing negative only posit vibes from the crowd which was good.

Im not fussed about yesterdays game, ok annoyed we didn't win but I saw a team playing for their manager and trying to get three points. We had enough chances to win it.

We had them on the back foot in the opening ten minutes and cleverly they decided to slow the game down, took an age taking set pieces and that took our momentum away.

1 minute ago, tts_city said:

Ahh right i see your point i suppose its easy to hammer the keyboard in frustration, but when SL asks the fans to boo after the 90 if they still felt inclined but to then get it drowned out with the tannoy is a bit naughty imo.

Is that what happened?

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

I  know many/most believe a change is due, but the vitriol spouted by some on here really doesn't appear so evident actually in & around the ground. 

Like the "songs" we see composed on here........

14 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

You undermine any sense that your OP was intended to do anything other than divide with suff like this. Most comment on here is perfectly respectable. Given the passions aroused by such an abysmal run of results and such incompetent management of the club it's hardly surprising that a few folk get carried away...but in truth LJ and particularly SL get it very easy. Has Steve Lansdown EVER had to face down a crowd questioning his running of the club? I struggle to recall there ever being a moment when he's been made to feel uncomfortable, despite all the many disappointments. City has a very passive support base, which maybe is why we're such serial bottlers.

I think the 'majority' of City fans are now sick of the results and want him gone. Let's be realistic. But OTIB is the home of the most vocal dissenters. 

OTIB has been proved time and again to be only a small concentration of City fans and often not a reflection of the real feeling of the majority of City fans. How can it when polls are taken by around 500 fans? 500 of the fans who actually give enough of a shit to come on here and argue it out all week. That's a small % of our crowd, isn't it.

1 minute ago, Alessandro said:

I think the 'majority' of City fans are now sick of the results and want him gone. Let's be realistic. But OTIB is the home of the most vocal dissenters. 

OTIB has been proved time and again to be only a small concentration of City fans and often not a reflection of the real feeling of the majority of City fans. How can it when polls are taken by around 500 fans? 500 of the fans who actually give enough of a shit to come on here and argue it out all week. That's a small % of our crowd, isn't it.

Fine if that's your opinion but I don't see how you can prove that OTIB is unrepresentative. And how do your measure "real feeling"?

7 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Fine if that's your opinion but I don't see how you can prove that OTIB is unrepresentative. And how do your measure "real feeling"?

It would be great if there was some way of voting at the ground.Nearly every supporter I sit and travel with want him out and doing it at the ground would give you a definitive result.

10 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Of course I can't prove it really. But time and time again things have been fever pitch on here over the years, usually between a few hundred people, at the next game the same feeling is not multiplied up and reflected by the whole crowd.

What i'm saying is OTIB is made up of the people who need to vocalise their feelings about the club. Although I don't doubt now that the majority of City fans are pig sick of losing and would be happy to see LJ gone, but I suspect the vast majority wouldn't bother with a protest. They leave the game frustrated but get on with their weeks, not caring enough to come debate it all week on an internet forum.

3 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Of course I can't prove it really. But time and time again things have been fever pitch on here over the years, usually between a few hundred people, at the next game the same feeling is not multiplied up and reflected by the whole crowd.

What i'm saying is OTIB is made up of the people who need to vocalise their feelings about the club. Although I don't doubt now that the majority of City fans are pig sick of losing and would be happy to see LJ gone, but I suspect the vast majority wouldn't bother with a protest. They leave the game frustrated but get on with their weeks, not caring enough to come debate it all week on an internet forum.

Fair enough. I happen to think OTIB is a useful canary in the mine...a sounding board which the club would do well to listen to. And who better to do the listening than a SLO who doubles as the club's press officer!

Sadly I can see myself drifting into that "meh" category...which is a shame, but will do wonders for my bank balance! I'm almost past caring...but not quite...

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Why don't you give some reason as well.  Happy for you to agree, but tell us why, or else is reads as 'we are right, everyone who disagrees is wrong'. Not having a go, just want to read the debate.  I'm guilty if doing that too, but just as I got:

@Londoner and @ivorguy

to explain their reasons, when they did it made me understand a number of their replies, it might help me with yours.  Feel free not to if you like though.

Fair point Dave.  I think maybe the group I knock around with tend to share the sort of view I elaborated on in the 'Do you remember your reaction' thread.

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Before I start, this is not meant to be divisive, it's a genuine, serious question. 

Before yesterday there were calls for hankies, chants, protests, amongst other things, yet the reality was another (very) well attended fixture, where the crowd did their best to create an atmosphere and until the final whistle (rightly imo) the crowd were not "in meltdown" as predicted. 

Of course, nobody is happy with the current run or position, but is it a case of fan disillusionment being largely inflated by a vocal, repetitive minority on here that makes everything seem quite as anti-LJ as it appears on here..?

I know many/most believe a change is due, but the vitriol spouted by some on here really doesn't appear so evident actually in & around the ground. 

Thoughts...?

These forums are very skewed, lots of new people join every-time there is trouble to vent their spleen.

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Thoughts...?

I would say the protestations towards the end of the game in the Atyeo were the loudest and most vitriolic I have heard at a City game since Boxing Day at Brentford in 2000 against Pulis.

Archived