IGNORED

Managerial Candidates

tinman85

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Yep 

Convinvced he can be a great Manager / Head Coach and level headed enough to coach / manage at any level IMHO

Anyone judging him at the basket case  that was Valencia is short sighted IMHO 

Clearly intelligent and talks a very good game. His autobiography is also an excellent and insightful read.

None of which guarantees any sort of success but I'd rather he was in the dugout on Tuesday than Johnson, that's for sure. Although I'd probably say the same for....well, anyone.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Clearly intelligent and talks a very good game. His autobiography is also an excellent and insightful read.

None of which guarantees any sort of success but I'd rather he was in the dugout on Tuesday than Johnson, that's for sure. Although I'd probably say the same for....well, anyone.

What about Gary? Would you rather him in the dugout than LJ?

Just now, 29AR said:

I'm convinced too, but the man has one life left. He isn't going to spend it here.

One bad managerial stint and he could find himself in a place even sky won't touch. 

He can afford to be picky. He certainly isn't coming to the managerial graveyard that is Ashton Gate. 

A fair point 29AR

I just wonder whether the project , the potential backing,  may appeal - doesn't strike me that he possesses any form of ego so I'm not sure he would dismiss us instantly

think the problem is that we've left it far too late

Anyone but the most self confident manager / coach will seriously have to consider he will have a relegation on his CV in 2 months and be managing In L1 come August

Hardly appealing I agree

18 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Tin hat on

but I'd seriously consider approaching that ex Valencia Coach to at least sound out his interest if at all

Which one? The obvious one or the rest of them? 

But I don't think Neville would be interested!

another failing team I seem to have support for :facepalm:

1 minute ago, JakeOTIB said:

What about Gary? Would you rather him in the dugout than LJ?

Honestly I don't think it matters that much who is in the dugout; as long as it's not LJ. The squad is good enough that anyone with them onside will guide them to safety. They clearly don't want to do it with/for LJ. He has to go to ensure survival.

In June, if I was in Mark Ashton's shoes, there'd be a fair few told stay away and find a new club. Their attitude and application stinks enough that I'd be convinced that they were going through the motions, even in massive games for the club like Rotherham and Burton.  

4 minutes ago, JakeOTIB said:

Hasn't got much managerial experience in England mind. All be it, give him a go,but technically LJ has more Championship experience then Neville. But then again,you could say the same about Mourinho and Guardiola. 

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

My reasons

Intelligent

Analytically very good

Down to earth

Very honest

Has a CV and rputation that should command respect

Hard working

Strikes me as someone who wouldn't faff about with fancy formations and trying to be overclever

Think you could guarantee a City side that gives it their all (Don't think he would suffer lazy players or those with more ego than ability)

Well connected in the game

19 minutes ago, redpole said:

Gary Rowett 
Nigel Pearson
Stuart Pearce 
Steve Clarke 
Jimmy Floyd Hasslebank
Alan Pardew
Tim Sherwood 
Mark Warburton 

Having analysed your list, Sherwood suits Forest, Warburton wants too much bread and Clarke is a shoe-in elsewhere.

And he's been at the highest level so he certainly has very good experience in that department.

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

My reasons

Intelligent

Analytically very good

Down to earth

Very honest

Has a CV and rputation that should command respect

Hard working

Strikes me as someone who wouldn't faff about with fancy formations and trying to be overclever

Think you could guarantee a City side that gives it their all (Don't think he would suffer lazy players or those with more ego than ability)

Well connected in the game

And he has experience in the highest level so he certainly has some good experience in that department.

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

A fair point 29AR

I just wonder whether the project , the potential backing,  may appeal - doesn't strike me that he possesses any form of ego so I'm not sure he would dismiss us instantly

think the problem is that we've left it far too late

Anyone but the most self confident manager / coach will seriously have to consider he will have a relegation on his CV in 2 months and be managing In L1 come August

Hardly appealing I agree

I honestly don't think relegation is a foregone conclusion. I think this squad could string a number of wins back to back if they wanted.

It's clear with LJ at the helm they do not want. That's a post mortem for the end of the season but if I was interviewing tomorrow I'd be handing a list of names to the candidate and saying 'I'm bombing them out before they stab you and the club in the back (again) so think about summer replacements'. 

I think GN would be an exceptional appointment. I don't think he has an ego too. But you just have to look at managers who have come here failed and then succeeded elsewhere, managers who have come here and not been backed because the top dog didn't fancy them, managers that we've turned our back on. 

The reason we go cheap is because we have a rotten reputation. The reason LJ is still here, I'm sure, is because the interested alternatives would be equally divisive. If Pardew et al had any interest he'd be gone. I'm certain. Even with no ego, I do think Neville wouldn't even return our call. In his shoes I wouldn't. 

7 minutes ago, bpexile said:

How about that guy that played a few games for MU, Ryan................

I'd take Gary Neville before him - Not sure why Giggs was being hyped around 

Fantastic player but no obvious evidence of an ability to coach or manage

(the same could be said of Neville but he has coached with Valencia and England , although neither enhances his CV greatly !  - Just think anyone who is so astute analytically and can explain it to the average football fan has the real potential to improve players individually and as a side)

I think the biggest obstacle would be his Sky and personal business commitments ( As @Kid in the Riot has suggested before , he has indicated he intends to concentrate on these for the foreseeable but I still think it could be sold to him)

(the same could be said of Neville but he has coached with Valencia and England , although neither enhances his CV quickly - Just think anyone who is so astute analytically and can explain it to the average football fan has the real potential to improve players individually and as a side)

Valencia didn't do well with him but it's a different game over there.

Also you have to look at Valencia currently and say a lot of confunding factors played there part. A hate seeing it but VCF is just going backwards massively.

People think city is badly is run :noexp:

22 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

only one man for me,already mentioned,bring cotts back,apologise to the bloke and offer him the backing for the quality he needs to sustain a decent championship club

Jesus H. Tap Dancing Christ, are you for real? Un ******* believable. 

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

(the same could be said of Neville but he has coached with Valencia and England , although neither enhances his CV quickly - Just think anyone who is so astute analytically and can explain it to the average football fan has the real potential to improve players individually and as a side)

He certainly talks a good game, but the same could be said about our current manager, wouldn't you say?

GN has a fantastic CV as a player, but his CV as a manager....well he hasn't earned his stripes, to say the least.

He got the England assistant job by default and he got the Valencia job by default, neither went well at all for him.

He is proving to be very out-spoken in the media and has rubbed manager and fans up the wrong way, including calling an Arsenal fan an 'idiot' on air. Not hugely level headed behaviour?! I wonder if some prem managers would actually want to do with business with him after he slagged them off?! Could be tough getting prem youth loans!

I agree he certainly has personal characteristics that appeal, but surely he is such a huge gamble just at a time when we shouldn't be taking one.

SL took LJ on a 'hunch' and Neville would be arguably even more so, IMO. Surely we need someone more proven next time? I personally bloody well hope so.

5 minutes ago, Warwickshire Red said:

Neville is another risky one as only has limited experience abroad and failed.

We need proven experience this time such as Rowett or some of the other names mentioned IMO. 

I rather we left him to his punditry.

Think it's a more than fair argument 

It's a strange one though isn't it - Gary Rowett is 'hot' at the moment having had a reasonable career as a player , continued the Burton roll / momentum , did a good / steady job at Brum - Appears to have proved he can manage

Gary Neville , self made player , educated under a great Club set up under SAF , a 'winner' , top top top playing CV , has proved to all that he is astute analytically and is excellent at explaining what / why / how

A failure at Valencia and brutally honest about the experience , coached at International level

Not proved that he can manage at present time ?

This is anything but a criticism of your post or view , anything but , as I said it's a strong case 

But playing devils advocate ........ Who has the most / better 'experience' ?

(Not sure myself ! )

1 hour ago, tinman85 said:

No no no. We want proven experience. Fed up with taking rubbish from the lower leagues. We might as well support Yeovil! Need to start having an ambitious mindset across the club. This just sums up the mentality. We always seem to accept second best. Life is about taking risks occasionally and trying to achieve something. 

Surely recruiting from lower leagues could be defined as taking a risk?

20 minutes ago, bpexile said:

How about that guy that played a few games for MU, Ryan................

Ok guys, it was only a tongue in cheek throw away but interesting to see the reaction.

We all know champion players don't automatically make top managers.

Think it's a more than fair argument 

It's a strange one though isn't it - Gary Rowett is 'hot' at the moment having had a reasonable career as a player , continued the Burton roll / momentum , did a good / steady job at Brum - Appears to have proved he can manage

Gary Neville , self made player , educated under a great Club set up under SAF , a 'winner' , top top top playing CV , has proved to all that he is astute analytically and is excellent at explaining what / why / how

A failure at Valencia and brutally honest about the experience , coached at International level

Not proved that he can manage at present time ?

This is anything but a criticism of your post or view , anything but , as I said it's a strong case 

But playing devils advocate ........ Who has the most / better 'experience' ?

(Not sure myself ! )

That's the worrying thing. Maby of the better managers (Warnock, Monk etc...) have already been snapped up because other clubs reacted quicker. Unfortunately, if we don't act quickly now, we'll lose our current best option in Gary Rowett. 

Archived