IGNORED

Managerial Candidates

tinman85

12 hours ago, North London Red said:

Two other names to throw into the mix: Chris Powell and Kenny Jackett. 

Powell has been promoted from L1 before so if the worst does happen this season, he knows the ropes in L1. Not sure if he'd want to leave his current role as assistant manager at Derby, but if he was interested, we could do a lot worse. 

Jackett has also been promoted from L1 and has plenty of experience.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Jackett even has a good record at this level- I think he could do the short term fire fighting job needed to keep us up for sure.

Could he push us on? Who knows- but I would back him to stabilize us at this level.

As much as some think the guy unfashionable Jackett is indeed a manager with a very decent record. In fact so good was his record at Wolves that you have to go back to Stan Cullis from 1948 to 1964 to have a comparable win record. OK, I know it was lower league but take in Millwall and Swansea as well and he still averages 1.55 points per game. After 58 matches with City Johnson is on 1.22 and rapidly approaching Del's 1.03 in 63 games and SOD's 1.05 in 44 games. GJ was 1.49 in 229 games and Cotts was 1.67 in 116 games.

Stats and damn stats I know.

Not advocating Jackett but we could do a lot worse; the worst being sticking and not twisting clearly.

I'm of the opinion that the manager doesn't matter, and that the problems at Bristol City lie solely with the board and owner, so my picks are purely for headline reasons.

The two options I would go with are Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs. Both are inexperienced, but have been tipped for bright futures if a club is willing to take a gamble on them. I think both of them would join if offered, and I think having one of those two would definitely send the press our way a bit more.

The benefit of having the press on our door is that it puts the club under more scrutiny, and both Neville and Giggs know a thing or two about a well-run club. They'll also have something to prove, and this is exactly what we need in a manager.

Ultimately, I don't think it matters who is in charge, as long as the club is only willing to hire a head coach. We need a manager with absolute control, and only when we can get that will we do well.

33 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

I'm of the opinion that the manager doesn't matter, and that the problems at Bristol City lie solely with the board and owner, so my picks are purely for headline reasons.

The two options I would go with are Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs. Both are inexperienced, but have been tipped for bright futures if a club is willing to take a gamble on them. I think both of them would join if offered, and I think having one of those two would definitely send the press our way a bit more.

The benefit of having the press on our door is that it puts the club under more scrutiny, and both Neville and Giggs know a thing or two about a well-run club. They'll also have something to prove, and this is exactly what we need in a manager.

Ultimately, I don't think it matters who is in charge, as long as the club is only willing to hire a head coach. We need a manager with absolute control, and only when we can get that will we do well.

Are you out of your mind? The cheap options yet again.

No experience, no success. Wouldn't touch them with a ten foot barge pole.

On 3/6/2017 at 11:56, Septic Peg said:

Are you out of your mind? The cheap options yet again.

No experience, no success. Wouldn't touch them with a ten foot barge pole.

It doesn't matter who we bring in. If we're hiring a head coach, their track record in management is meaningless, because the management is handled by Ashton and co.

It's no surprise that the last two managers we had (GJ and Cotterill) achieved some level of success with us, and all the other head coaches we've hired have failed.

That's why I'd go for a big name that needs experience. They need to succeed if they want a chance of managing in the Premier League, and they're more likely to tell Lansdown and co to **** off when they try to run things poorly.

6 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

It doesn't matter who we bring in. If we're hiring a head coach, their track record in management is meaningless, because the management is handled by Ashton and co.

It's no surprise that the last two managers we had (GJ and Cotterill) achieved some level of success with us, and all the other head coaches we've hired have failed.

That's why I'd go for a big name that needs experience. They need to succeed if they want a chance of managing in the Premier League, and they're more likely to tell Lansdown and co to **** off when they try to run things poorly.

I get what you mean but I can't see a HC having the balls to say no. 

We need someone with a track record. Someone who's been there and done that and wants to have a crack again. There is no point hiring yes men agreed but there is also no point in hiring someone who can't provide the experience. Provenance is key.

1 minute ago, Superjack said:

No need for managerial candidates. Lansdown will see Johnson see us into League 2.

Just for fun though, if we weren't in such a absolute shambles of a situation I would try and tap up Chris Coleman.

I didn't say "absolute shambles"... I said "cluster*u*k".

On 05/03/2017 at 22:56, North London Red said:

Two other names to throw into the mix: Chris Powell and Kenny Jackett. 

Powell has been promoted from L1 before so if the worst does happen this season, he knows the ropes in L1. Not sure if he'd want to leave his current role as assistant manager at Derby, but if he was interested, we could do a lot worse. 

Jackett has also been promoted from L1 and has plenty of experience.

Powell has been relieved of his Duties along with McLaren.

Archived