IGNORED

Can anyone explain?

Robbored

3 minutes ago, pillred said:

I know you are right of course but does not say a lot though, I just mean that  since that heady finish has not done much.

You mean GJ generally? Yeah he's bounced around the lower divisions though one big exception- perhaps his last hurrah was taking Yeovil up in 12-13 which was a major achievement. Wage budget £1m when he went up, he was never going to keep them up that season was a free hit really.

You are right also, doesn't say a lot three top 10 finishes in 2nd tier about football generally, other than it's been slim pickings for a lot of our history. Still I think we would take that for the forseeable!

6 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

But we didn't "keep it tight", Norwich should have been 4 or 5-1 up at half time. Luckily for us they were wasteful and we were still in the game. If hoping the opposition miss great chances is part of the "plan" then he needs to come up with a better one!!!

4 or 5 up? Really? There was Naismith's inexplicable miss and then that other occasion where the ball flashed across the goal but the oncoming runner didn't make contact.

Bobby let them off in the first half by shooting tamely at the keeper and we had ample opportunity to score from lots of corners, one of which required a save off the line.

Norwich had 1 on target shot all match. We had 7.

The first half wasn't very good as a spectacle,  but to suggest we could have taken a thrashing is wide of the mark IMO. For once we had a bit more urgency in getting the ball away from the danger zone. Bryan got outpaced over and over again, but little was created by the visitors. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You mean GJ generally? Yeah he's bounced around the lower divisions though one big exception- perhaps his last hurrah was taking Yeovil up in 12-13 which was a major achievement. Wage budget £1m when he went up, he was never going to keep them up that season was a free hit really.

You are right also, doesn't say a lot three top 10 finishes in 2nd tier about football generally, other than it's been slim pickings for a lot of our history. Still I think we would take that for the forseeable!

yes we can only dream of such giddy heights at the moment!

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

4 or 5 up? Really? There was Naismith's inexplicable miss and then that other occasion where the ball flashed across the goal but the oncoming runner didn't make contact.

Bobby let them off in the first half by shooting tamely at the keeper and we had ample opportunity to score from lots of corners, one of which required a save off the line.

The first half wasn't very good as a spectacle,  but to suggest we could have taken a thrashing is wide of the mark IMO. For once we had a bit more urgency in getting the ball away from the danger zone. Bryan got outpaced over and over again, but little was created by the visitors. 

Didn't we hit the woodwork in the first half also? O'Dowda?

16 hours ago, Swede said:

Definately a game of two halves.

We were turgid in the first half.

Cotts and Bryan looked off the pace, why? Because Junior played wing backs Saturday & both were flogged to death.

Cotts was struggling. It was crying out for Paterson.

He would've done more than a labouring Tomlin.

Junior's so preoccupied with the opposition that it's affecting everything.

A stirring second half only reinforces my opinion that we have the tools but no one to use them properly.

We got that draw (& it could've been a win) in spite of him not because of him.

I'd have Paterson washing the kit , it's all he's fit for. Terrible signing

7 minutes ago, pillred said:

I know you are right of course but does not say a lot though, I just mean that  since that heady finish has not done much.

I for one really enjoyed GJ's time here. And to his credit he's still in work! He built a side that not only made the play-offs but very nearly repeated the trick the following season. He always had his detractors but he'd be one of my favourite managers of the past 40 years, the Gate was buzzing much of the time. Happy days!

One of the consequences of LJs contrasting gloom-fest is that the family reputation is in danger of being trashed.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Didn't we hit the woodwork in the first half also? O'Dowda?

We did and Ruddy pulled off a terrific save from Odowda's shot but Norwich had decent chances as well.

City should have won it on the second half performance but yet again missed chances cost us.

The sooner Tammy is fit the better.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

:rofl2br:

What reputation would that be? 

Fair enough...I'll concede that the Johnson name carries some baggage with some on here, but I was thinking of GJ's deserved reputation for footballing success...which his son seems unlikely to enjoy...

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

We did and Ruddy pulled off a terrific save from Odowda's shot but Norwich had decent chances as well.

City should have won it on the second half performance but yet again missed chances cost us.

Ruddy was on the bench, Evil Twin.

They had McGovern in goal.

2 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Fair enough...I'll concede that the Johnson name carries some baggage with some on here, but I was thinking of GJ's deserved reputation for footballing success...which his son seems unlikely to enjoy...

Senior Johnson has a reputation for being a yo-yo lower league manager. 

7 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

He did it because he started with two up top against Fulham and we were played off the park.  Surely you were there and saw it?  We had Gary O'Neill out, and he decided to put five in midfield, starting out 4-1-4-1.  The object was to contain Norwich to half time, and then use the subs to gain an advantage in the second half.  Unfortunately the plan was derailed by a mistake from young Zak Vyner, but otherwise seemed to work pretty well to me.  Once again it was only our failure to take clear chances that cost us the match last night. 

The notion that he wasted two substitutions is ridiculous.  It makes no sense at all.  If he had started 4-4-2 and we had been taken apart in midfield as we were against Fulham, what would he have done?  If you start with an attacking intention and then get caught out, where do you go?  Three up front?  Four up front?  Whatever you do, it ain't going to be easy to come back from being behind.  Last night, however, we had options and he took them by making the right substitutions.  I thought Djuric looked awesome against a tiring defence last night, but I suspect he wouldn't have been nearly so effective if he'd started.

Norwich could have been easily 3-0 up at half time

We didn't have a single shot until about 35 mins

Awful

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Agreed on all that, had we won it would have been a fair result I think- based on the second half. I barely remember a major Norwich attempt on goal 2nd half.

1 minute ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Norwich could have been easily 3-0 up at half time

We didn't have a single shot until about 35 mins

Awful

Not sure Norwich should have been 3-0 up at ht.

Citys first shot on goal was a daisy cutter straight at the keeper in the 26th min. A cheer went up.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Each to there own I guess.

Yep, happy days! I feel a tad sorry for those on here...and I know you're not the only one Robbo...who can't look back on them with affection. Amongst the best times at the club in decades. They seem a long way off.

2 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Yep, happy days! I feel a tad sorry for those on here...and I know you're not the only one Robbo...who can't look back on them with affection. Amongst the best times at the club in decades. They seem a long way off.

Well...I'm pleased you were able to enjoy it.      :clapping:

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Absolutely, then we can start getting leads to throw away again !

10 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Not amongst the best Steve, the best.

Much as I was grateful to Cotts for getting us up so quickly I haven't enjoyed any times since then as much.

18 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Yep, shit first half but the last 20 minutes I absolutely loved. Could of won that with a bit of luck. 

Apart from the goal we gave away I'm sure the first half was part of the plan. Keep it tight. Stay in the game etc and have a real go at them in the second half.

Ah, so he's got a plan to keep it tight in the first half now!.

Perhaps he should have come up with a plan when we were 2 and 3 nil up,in games!

Or perhaps he actually has no plan at all, it's just dependant on if the opposition take their chances or not!

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

And the simple cross that Jerome put over the blokes head. That's 4 they should have scored then!!! The ball that flashed across goal was a sitter.

Archived