IGNORED

Can anyone explain?

Robbored

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

And the simple cross that Jerome put over the blokes head. That's 4 they should have scored then!!! The ball that flashed across goal was a sitter.

Ok. We're 3-4 down at half-time and finish winning it 4-10 :blink:

22 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

LJ can't win no matter what he does, people complain that he changes the team too much, he makes no changes - people moan, he makes limited changes - people moan!!

Players have been struggling with injuries, so players will need to be replaced or are unable to start because of fitness issues. No one knows what goes on at training or who's picked up what injuries or knocks but if all else fails, it's LJ's fault.

We;come back Tipps.  Are you still in favour of Johnson keeping his job?

i too want there last night, nor the next three either.  Hate missing games even in the current run!

my argument with your statement above in bold is that he never sticks to anything for more than a couple of games.  He's so worried about how the opposition line up, that he tries to match them up.  Talk about not giving your own players any confidence that they might be better than their opponents!

i almosts resisted the "LJ can't win no matter what he does" but I couldn't!  You ain't wrong there, he certainly can't win a game!  Sorry :P

22 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Not defending him, as first half was abysmal as always when at home he plays this lone striker b******s.

Second half was a transformation, should have won, their keeper made some great stops. 

On radio on way home he was asked about this and defends it as saying  we get over run in middle of park, and has a good bench to change it as and when.  Cites Fulham as an example.  If that is the case why have we signed 19 players, none of which able to 'stand up ' and be counted and we need extra body in middle of the park to counter the quality of the oppositions midfield. Why did we not get real quality in the middle of the park.  I thought that was Hegeler was going to be ?

In fairness there is hope to our situation.  He needs to man up and go out and try to win these games from the off, not twaddle about leaving a 37 year old isolated on his own hoping to flick the ball onto Bobby Reid.

The first half "get it wrong, need to make big changes" is a recurring theme.  Of course it will come off some times, but why us he getting it wrong so often.  

12 hours ago, redandy1 said:

And that is because he doesn't know what he is doing. There has been no method ,clarity or consistency all season. And I would have said the bloke who picks the team and tactics bears the responsibility. But maybe I am just old fashioned.

Consistency, Yep!  Or lack of conviction in your decision making or thought processes. Very sorry state of affairs.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The first half "get it wrong, need to make big changes" is a recurring theme.  Of course it will come off some times, but why us he getting it wrong so often.

You know that football is a squad game these days.  If the plan was to contain Norwich in the first half, then it almost worked.  Bobby Reid was below par and was rightly replaced at half time, but does that mean he shouldn't have been picked on the first place?

Substitutes change games.  Ours did last night.  A manager chooses a team he thinks will do the job, and if it is not working he makes changes.  If all it takes to win matches is to pick the right team in the first place, then how would matches ever be decided?

What we learnt from Derby and Newcastle is that it doesn't always pay to take an early lead.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We;come back Tipps.  Are you still in favour of Johnson keeping his job?

i too want there last night, nor the next three either.  Hate missing games even in the current run!

my argument with your statement above in bold is that he never sticks to anything for more than a couple of games.  He's so worried about how the opposition line up, that he tries to match them up.  Talk about not giving your own players any confidence that they might be better than their opponents!

i almosts resisted the "LJ can't win no matter what he does" but I couldn't!  You ain't wrong there, he certainly can't win a game!  Sorry :P

Consistency, Yep!  Or lack of conviction in your decision making or thought processes. Very sorry state of affairs.

Hi Dave,

If I'm honest, I'm surprised he's still here but as I've said many times before, no one (none of us on this forum) knows what's happening behind the scenes, who's picked up knocks, struggling for fitness.

How many times last season were we berating Cotts & (or) LJ for not changing things around? That was partly because neither of them had a squad to work with!! Now he has a squad to work with, he's trying different formations / players.

I'd be a lot more concerned if he wasn't trying to put things right, if he stuck with the same players / formation but he is trying to find the right combination & continues to change things if they aren't going right.

And along the lines of none of us knowing what's going on after games, in & after training, during the coach trips to away games & in the changing rooms, no one knows what's happened with regards to John Pemberton or Des  Taylor, so those saying that Pemberton has been hard done by & he should be in charge, there's no knowing what's happened behind the scenes as with Taylor, everyone was lauding up the signings we brought in & now things have got tough, the signings aren't good enough blah blah blah.

I'm seemingly not allowed a view on here any more Dave, so I won't talk anything Bristol City unless I'm asked my view & I will allow the 'super fans' to discuss all things Bristol City!!

15 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

You know that football is a squad game these days.  If the plan was to contain Norwich in the first half, then it almost worked.  Bobby Reid was below par and was rightly replaced at half time, but does that mean he shouldn't have been picked on the first place?

Substitutes change games.  Ours did last night.  A manager chooses a team he thinks will do the job, and if it is not working he makes changes.  If all it takes to win matches is to pick the right team in the first place, then how would matches ever be decided?

What we learnt from Derby and Newcastle is that it doesn't always pay to take an early lead.

That's a fair response from someone who posts sensible stuff.

I just wish I shared your belief.  To take a chance of being 0-1 when you're on the run we are on in the position we are with a number of fans wanting you to fail, is a very big gamble.

I'll grant you that coming from behind always looks better than losing a lead.  Both still amount to a point, and I wasn't one to be critical when we gave away 2 points, nor am I going to be too excited when we gain one.

Its a very precarious position....we need a couple of wins.

7 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Hi Dave,

If I'm honest, I'm surprised he's still here but as I've said many times before, no one (none of us on this forum) knows what's happening behind the scenes, who's picked up knocks, struggling for fitness.

How many times last season were we berating Cotts & (or) LJ for not changing things around? That was partly because neither of them had a squad to work with!! Now he has a squad to work with, he's trying different formations / players.

I'd be a lot more concerned if he wasn't trying to put things right, if he stuck with the same players / formation but he is trying to find the right combination & continues to change things if they aren't going right.

And along the lines of none of us knowing what's going on after games, in & after training, during the coach trips to away games & in the changing rooms, no one knows what's happened with regards to John Pemberton or Des  Taylor, so those saying that Pemberton has been hard done by & he should be in charge, there's no knowing what's happened behind the scenes as with Taylor, everyone was lauding up the signings we brought in & now things have got tough, the signings aren't good enough blah blah blah.

I'm seemingly not allowed a view on here any more Dave, so I won't talk anything Bristol City unless I'm asked my view & I will allow the 'super fans' to discuss all things Bristol City!!

Just ignore those posts - don't fuel them.

i get the 'he's trying things'....but he never gives them long enough to build players familiarity.  Only my view.

Youre right that none of us know what goes on behind the scenes.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just ignore those posts - don't fuel them.

i get the 'he's trying things'....but he never gives them long enough to build players familiarity.  Only my view.

Youre right that none of us know what goes on behind the scenes.

Just an example, he brings Wilbs back as he wants a team that he trusts Vs Newcastle, gets abused left, right & centre, we get a great result up there & people call for him to stick to that team........

Next game, in large he stuck to the Newcastle team (even with 37 y/o Wilbs up top) as he's been implored to do, the result doesn't go to plan & those same people are then questioning his team selection but he sticks with that squad (as he's been asked to not change things to much) but it's still not good enough!!

But no one knows who's fit & who's struggling so he's picked a team that he believes is best for those games, people have moaned that we haven't kept a clean sheet for god knows how long (not allowed to include the Rotherham game as we're Bristol City & so much bigger & better than them), so he sets us up to stop conceding so many goals & make us tougher to beat & that's still not good enough!!

He has done as those who know better than him wanted but it's still not good enough, he realised things haven't been working & he's changed things but that's still not good enough!!

No matter what he does, he can't do anything right in some people's eyes!!

It's like people have had success in playing Football Manager & all of a sudden they think they can manage & coach a football club, sorry but it really isn't that easy.

On 7 March 2017 at 22:26, Robbored said:

Why Junior started with one up top?

When we saw the team we all groaned with stunned looks at each other.  Wtf?

The first half was shockingly poor and only improved when Taylor was joined by Duric. Then we looked like a team.

Essentially he wasted two substitutions.......:facepalm:

My first thought when I saw the team was...but...this is Cott's team?

If I counted right, eight were from then. Minor tweaks from the team that got us up, having signed 19 players in LJs time.

This is pure and utter speculation, but on reflection I have a couple of thoughts:

-   how much say did LJ have in all these signings? I assume a lot. However, he has said he is going with the players he trusts. Basically the team he inherited. That just makes no sense to me. If my assumption is wrong, then I do have a whole pile of new questions!

-  there have been rumours of various cliques in the changing room. If true, it would not be a surprise if one of those was built around the old squad. They were committed, hard working, all that stuff. To see Flint's reaction I think it was when the equaliser went in it shows that it still matters to them.

-  that was not a squad that was ever built to defend. They got away with it in Div1 because they could outscore the other side. By using that side to 'keep it tight', to use the term, goes against its DNA.

If LJ sticks pretty much to this side we will see commitment, effort, giving it their best, undermined by some freakish team orders. They will look best when giving it a go.

The one huge downside is that as the last two years have shown, this team is simply not consistently solid enough to survive at this level by effort and spirit alone. Questions that are left hanging are how has LJ not been able to integrate more of the new players in to that squad? Are these new players really his, which he now does not trust? 

Seems to me if he is going to use this team, assembled to play a certain way, he may as well go the whole hog and play 352. At least they will know what they are expected to do. I would in fairness expect the same outcome as before LJ joined us.

18 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

It's like people have had success in playing Football Manager & all of a sudden they think they can manage & coach a football club, sorry but it really isn't that easy.

Agree but don't tell us , tell Johnson or Uncle Steve who bought him CM17 for Christmas

As for managing a football club

Some find it relatively easy

Some Find it testing

Some find it difficult 

and

Some find it way too difficult for their capabilities

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Johnson is making amateurish decisions. I was saying last night why is he playing a high line against a quick Norwich attack. Its amazing we only conceded 1. We looked so unorganised, like we have all season. He clearly makes decisions without having any idea of what will happen. 361 at home to Burton!? He is the worst manager we have had in my lifetime.

But the players aren't stupid, they are paid professionals, they have a mind of their own & will know (or should know) how to manage in game situations!!

If Flint is being dicked by someone with speed (just for example) he's old enough to know how to manage that situation or should be!! He (or any of the professional players) shouldn't need to have their arses wiped for everything that goes on in a game, the players aren't going to carry on doing things that make them look silly, they will adjust to what's happening.

LJ can only do so much, he can't dictate what a player does on the pitch!!

Let's not forget, we are talking men here who are on thousands of pounds a week, not 11 year-olds who need to be told how to do everything!!

The players have a responsibility as well.

3 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

But the players aren't stupid, they are paid professionals, they have a mind of their own & will know (or should know) how to manage in game situations!!

If Flint is being dicked by someone with speed (just for example) he's old enough to know how to manage that situation or should be!! He (or any of the professional players) shouldn't need to have their arses wiped for everything that goes on in a game, the players aren't going to carry on doing things that make them look silly, they will adjust to what's happening.

LJ can only do so much, he can't dictate what a player does on the pitch!!

Let's not forget, we are talking men here who are on thousands of pounds a week, not 11 year-olds who need to be told how to do everything!!

The players have a responsibility as well.

Nonsense!

Junior is mentioning "players I trust" but what does that actually mean?  Is it that some of the more experienced players have zero faith in him and not following his strategy so get dropped? 

Take Hegeler - very classy early on but awol against Flum and not selected since. Why? Draw your own conclusions.

The more I see LJs teams the more I see his dads influence in the way they play. Dreary, negative and afraid to lose.

One guy near said yesterday "he's a clone of his father" I laughed but realise now that he was right.

Ffs we are in for a even tougher time........:facepalm:

Archived