IGNORED

Am I genuinely in a minority that doesn't hold a personal resentment towards LJ?

JHAGa

Nothing personal. Never thought it was fair to use LJ the player as a scapegoat. Also don't get the hostility some have towards GJ the manger (though that's a whole different post). 

The problem is that between Lansdown and Johnson it clearly is personal. LJ getting way more license to fail then any other manager has or would based on personal relations. LJ may well have an affinity for the club and like many I really wanted him to succeed. But based on results and our position doesn't seem to be in the best interests of the club for him to still be in charge. 

I don't hate LJ or condone personal abuse but I do think he is not very good at taking responsibility and I don't think I would respect him if he were my boss. Quite aside from whatever has happened with Pemberton and Taylor, his press conferences recently have hinted at blaming the players and suggesting it is everyone's fault but his and it is little wonder if he then ends up struggling to unite the dressing room.

As GoodridgeandGoater says above, the relationship - or perceived relationship - between SL and LJ is a problem too. It is great that the manager and the owner get on but not great when one employee seems to be judged to a different standard to everyone else. 

8 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Cotts is the kinda guy who would drink with you til you both pass out, end up in a strip club, get a kebab and then be sick with you in the taxi home.

LJ would be drinking OJ all night and calling a taxi at 9PM reminding us we have work at 6AM.

Funnily enough, an ex colleague lived near Cotts.

Basically said him and his mate were drunk, were on the way home, and Cotts was wandering out for a walk came out and offered to ply them with alcohol- bottle of wine apiece or somesuch. Great lad! Had several women on the sofa too did Mr Cotts, no idea if it's true but said ex colleague seemed fairly reliable.

No you're not alone and it's the abuse he's taking from some quarters that makes the whole situation especially sad.

A man is trying his best to do his job and he's quite obviously failing at it. Some thought he should go months ago, others never wanted him in the first place, but things have now reached the stage where almost nobody thinks he should keep his job. Things have been allowed to go on so long that those who've wanted him out for months have grown increasingly frustrated at the situation and the unpleasantness of their vitriol has increased accordingly. I cannot see how it can be good for this situation to continue.

As I have never met or spoken to LJ, my views on him as a footballer, head coach are based simply on his performances at both jobs.

He was a very average League One footballer and Imo, is a very inexperienced, naive head coach.

I understand that he made a fortune in property management while he was a player at City so I consider that he would be more suited to that as a career, instead of taking my club towards oblivion.

7 hours ago, Up The City! said:

People have often called for LJ to bring someone in to work alongside him who has been there and done it. I can sorta see the logic in that but then I remember who his dad is who I am sure is available to LJ 24 hours a day just like any parent is to their children.

That may be the root of the problem. Perhaps we are being "managed" or " head coached" by SL and/or GJ?

The level of vitriol on here towards Johnson makes me want to defend the man.

I think he's a decent man, just not a decent manager.  He has some good qualities,  but his judgement is highly suspect and just as importantly  he just can't raise battered morale to save his life.

You can want Johnson out (as I do) without calling him and everyone else you assume to be behind this failing season a****. 

The bad thing about the internet, is it seems to magnify rage in some people. And bring out all the conspiracy theories that get swallowed whole because "it fits with what I want to believe".

12 hours ago, LC_ said:

But LJ has been supported, with signing after signing to the point where we now have a midfield heavy, bloated squad. Isn't it possible that had he gone to the board and asked for a mentor they would have given him what he wanted in that capacity too, considering they've been willing to part with £15m+ on players for him? 

As the season's gone on with the constant tactic tinkering and dropping players in and out of the squad, each new addition to the playing squad has screamed desperation that something will click and he'll stumble on some magic formula. That isn't what management is about, you make the best of what you have available. He promised exciting football, he's been touted as some up and coming genius manager and one for the future - where's the evidence? I'd expect at the very least to see some signs of it, learning from past mistakes being the biggest. 

Good comments but MA's job is to step in and SL when GJ was in charge visited dressing room after some losses to tell the team what for. That is what is called management ie not dumping everything on a young coach but to manage him, LJ. Has MA and SL taken their feet off the pedal?  . Have you answered the OP question? Great comments tho

Hate is a strong strong word that I would hesitate using for anyone, let alone a manager of a football club.

i would certainly say that I strongly resent and dislike LJ though. So he cares about this football club?? Then why hasnt he done the honourable thing and left? Why is he picking sides that clearly dont give us the best chance of winning? The way he went behind Pembertons back to get rid of him was disgusting. He is as stubborn and vindictive as his dad but without the management ability. He's a fraud of a man stealing a living because he's good with word and needs to be as far away from our club as possible.

14 hours ago, JHAGa said:

I completely understand frustration for what's happened this season but I still like Lee and don't understand the need for personal abuse which is rife on here and social media. He's been unlucky at times but is, of course, deserving of criticism for where we currently find ourselves.

I also understand frustrations at what happened with Pemberton and I particularly am annoyed with the statement the club put out that showed him no respect, but ultimately LJ should be able to decide his own coaching set-up. It's the board that wanted to part ways with Pemberton earlier than planned, it's the board that have stuck with Lee, it's the board that have made it difficult for numerous managers over the years. Yes, people can ask why are they showing so much loyalty to Lee, especially when compared to other managers like Cotts, but that's the board's fault not LJ. All my grievances over this season are with the board.

I followed Lee as a manager at Oldham/Barnsley. I think at Oldham particularly he did a very good job with limited resources. I understand why we went for him with his links to the club, although I, like many, knew it'd be a gamble at the time. I understand why SL wants to stick with him and try and break the pattern of bringing in a new manager every year. Again, I'm frustrated he didn't do the same with Cotts who genuinely deserved backing but I do get what he's trying to do. Maybe it's romanticism due to his surname but on paper, he's a young highly-rated coach who knows and admires the club and buys into what SL and the board want (in sense, a yes man, I don't think it's amiss to state that).

It's been a terrible 4 months but he came in and did a good job before that. He cares about the club and hasn't deliberately got us in this position, he's lost his best player at the end of August without a replacement, he/the team have genuinely been unlucky in numerous games with ref decisions and when it comes to LJ, players failing to take clear-cut chances or giving away unnecessary penalties. His inexperience over the course of recent months has definitely been evident and nobody could argue if he had been sacked but he's clearly the board's man and they have made a massive gamble in remaining loyal to him. If he's out of his depth, the board are to blame for not getting rid, Lee isn't not trying and has good intentions. I'd love nothing more than us to stay up after the next ten games and for him to lead us to a successful season next year.

No, you're in the majority and it's one of the reasons why protests have been so muted.

Compare it to the vitriol when Pulis was here. Although a lot, lot younger I can remember well over a 100 of us after the Colchester game at home, staying by the players entrance to venture our anger.

There's also the fact that whilst Lansdown has failed at the football side, he is extraordinarily rich and people are worried about the alternative if he went.

A bit like being in a well paid job you hate. 

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

The level of vitriol on here towards Johnson makes me want to defend the man.

I think he's a decent man, just not a decent manager.  He has some good qualities,  but his judgement is highly suspect and just as importantly  he just can't raise battered morale to save his life.

You can want Johnson out (as I do) without calling him and everyone else you assume to be behind this failing season a****. 

The bad thing about the internet, is it seems to magnify rage in some people. And bring out all the conspiracy theories that get swallowed whole because "it fits with what I want to believe".

All opinions RR

I have to say I'm not sure what you've said is right IMHO ;) (In relation to his professional role)

Some of the accounts sliding out the dressing rooms indicate that he's a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde certainly as A Head Coach

in day to day life I'm sure he is a decent man

I can think of someone else that's like that ,

and I'm writing this :whistle:

But then I'm not the Head Coach at our Club ....

24 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Hate is a strong strong word that I would hesitate using for anyone, let alone a manager of a football club.

i would certainly say that I strongly resent and dislike LJ though. So he cares about this football club?? Then why hasnt he done the honourable thing and left? Why is he picking sides that clearly dont give us the best chance of winning? The way he went behind Pembertons back to get rid of him was disgusting. He is as stubborn and vindictive as his dad but without the management ability. He's a fraud of a man stealing a living because he's good with word and needs to be as far away from our club as possible.

Allow me to answer on his behalf.

He thinks he can turn it round,  he doesn't think he is picking the wrong side, he thinks the defence has been weak so maybe best ditch Pembo, he wants to be a success and to do that he has to succeed here, he has faith in his own abilities. 

Those, I'm sure, are closer to the reasons why he doesn't resign than "he wants to destroy the club" as some are saying. 

I think he's wrong on most of the points, but I have no reason to call him anything stronger than deluded as to his own abilities, which quite a few people are.

The explosion of violent anger on Otib suddenly is something I just don't get.

It reminds me of a mob shouting "Burn the witch, burn the witch!"

On another thread there is a pretty anodyne interview with Mark Ashton where he says the sort of things you'd expect him to. Apart from the horror of him talking about Lee's "next season here" - which he'd say even if they were entertaining severe doubts, no one uses a video on a website to give a manager an ultimatum - it's tame and predictable stuff. Yet posters are saying how he makes their skin crawl, and is repulsive and slimy and basically insinuating that he is here to deliberately drag the club down.  Get a grip people!

I'm not happy with the situation but you can be unhappy without thinking it's all a big conspiracy to "ruin the club".

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

All opinions RR

I have to say I'm not sure what you've said is right IMHO ;) (In relation to his professional role)

Some of the accounts sliding out the dressing rooms indicate that he's a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde certainly as A Head Coach

in day to day life I'm sure he is a decent man

I can think of someone else that's like that ,

and I'm writing this :whistle:

But then I'm not the Head Coach at our Club ....

TBH as Churchill said "you don't have to be nice you have to be right".

Trouble is LJ isn't right. All else is fiddle faddle. 

16 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm not happy with the situation but you can be unhappy without thinking it's all a big conspiracy to "ruin the club".

I agree - it's not a conspiracy

What I personally believe it is, is .....

A flawed muddled attempt to defend the indefencable which gets harder for the regime by the day and ends up looking like a conspiracy when it's more of a fly by the wind 'cover up' of bad judgement and decisions

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Allow me to answer on his behalf.

He thinks he can turn it round,  he doesn't think he is picking the wrong side, he thinks the defence has been weak so maybe best ditch Pembo, he wants to be a success and to do that he has to succeed here, he has faith in his own abilities. 

Those, I'm sure, are closer to the reasons why he doesn't resign than "he wants to destroy the club" as some are saying. 

I think he's wrong on most of the points, but I have no reason to call him anything stronger than deluded as to his own abilities, which quite a few people are.

The explosion of violent anger on Otib suddenly is something I just don't get.

It reminds me of a mob shouting "Burn the witch, burn the witch!"

On another thread there is a pretty anodyne interview with Mark Ashton where he says the sort of things you'd expect him to. Apart from the horror of him talking about Lee's "next season here" - which he'd say even if they were entertaining severe doubts, no one uses a video on a website to give a manager an ultimatum - it's tame and predictable stuff. Yet posters are saying how he makes their skin crawl, and is repulsive and slimy and basically insinuating that he is here to deliberately drag the club down.  Get a grip people!

Great post and argument RR if I may say so. I don't believe it's a conspiracy to ruin the club. There are two factore IMHO;-

1. The lack of communication from the Board is not giving insight or confidence to the fans as to what the plan is. Having said that, I am not naive enough that I expect the Board to tell us personnel issues. It would be nice to understand if they realize we are in a mess, the root cause and a Plan A of what the club is trying to do about it. Blackburn, Wolves have taken action. Burton and Wigan have experienced coaches that we are witnessing some turn-around in their results.

2. SL, himself, has admitted that they took a risk with LJ in his appointment, given his level of experience. They were not sure he was ready. So, they brought him in as head coach NOT Manager. Mmm, I have to ask, who is the manager. Given the business experience of SL and the job of oversight by a board, what was the Risk Plan? What plan was put in place as the oversight and performance indicators and the plans for action if results go sour? Instead, we are going from week to week, messing with team formations and team selections that are all short term decisions. Despite the recent comments of Pembo by SL and MA, and, yes, the comments that you would expect, there is still no action and no evidence of a Risk Plan.

7 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

I am coming to really dislike LJ. 

It is increasing apparent that he is an incompetent buffoon in many aspects, the football management role being the most obvious.

He's being managed by his dad, what do you expect?

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Agreed .............................. now "burn the witch" !!

9 minutes ago, BCFChayden said:

This is a man who played for the semi pro England team what's not to like. What terrible stats

IMG_0040.PNG

What's your point? Playing careers have been proven to have little to no effect on how good someone is as a coach and it doesn't add anything to what's being discussed in this thread anyway.

15 hours ago, JHAGa said:

I completely understand frustration for what's happened this season but I still like Lee and don't understand the need for personal abuse which is rife on here and social media. He's been unlucky at times but is, of course, deserving of criticism for where we currently find ourselves.

I also understand frustrations at what happened with Pemberton and I particularly am annoyed with the statement the club put out that showed him no respect, but ultimately LJ should be able to decide his own coaching set-up. It's the board that wanted to part ways with Pemberton earlier than planned, it's the board that have stuck with Lee, it's the board that have made it difficult for numerous managers over the years. Yes, people can ask why are they showing so much loyalty to Lee, especially when compared to other managers like Cotts, but that's the board's fault not LJ. All my grievances over this season are with the board.

I followed Lee as a manager at Oldham/Barnsley. I think at Oldham particularly he did a very good job with limited resources. I understand why we went for him with his links to the club, although I, like many, knew it'd be a gamble at the time. I understand why SL wants to stick with him and try and break the pattern of bringing in a new manager every year. Again, I'm frustrated he didn't do the same with Cotts who genuinely deserved backing but I do get what he's trying to do. Maybe it's romanticism due to his surname but on paper, he's a young highly-rated coach who knows and admires the club and buys into what SL and the board want (in sense, a yes man, I don't think it's amiss to state that).

It's been a terrible 4 months but he came in and did a good job before that. He cares about the club and hasn't deliberately got us in this position, he's lost his best player at the end of August without a replacement, he/the team have genuinely been unlucky in numerous games with ref decisions and when it comes to LJ, players failing to take clear-cut chances or giving away unnecessary penalties. His inexperience over the course of recent months has definitely been evident and nobody could argue if he had been sacked but he's clearly the board's man and they have made a massive gamble in remaining loyal to him. If he's out of his depth, the board are to blame for not getting rid, Lee isn't not trying and has good intentions. I'd love nothing more than us to stay up after the next ten games and for him to lead us to a successful season next year.

Nope, you're not alone although my view doesn't count as I'm unable to attend games.

Although I am surprised he's still in the job, some of the things that have been blamed on LJ & posted about him, SL & the club has been nothing short of embarrassing & has meant that otib has become a toxic place to be part of.

It's those that have made the most noise who think they speak for the majority of City fans when the truth is that otib counts as such a small part of the clubs fan base & those of us that see no sense in getting rid of LJ tend to not be as noisy as those that want rid & they then believe that they are right in making so much noise.

But where has it got them? From what I understand their protests etc that have been organised through otib & other social media outlets was a bit of a let down as the numbers just aren't there to support their argument!!

The people that make noise about an issue because it's louder than those who keep quiet but that doesn't make them the majority as they wish to think they are.

In my own personal view, what the club needs is unity & a spell of continuity, people willing the club to fail for their own personal satisfaction are doing no one involved with the club any favours.

How can it possibly help the players to turn up & hear boo's & abuse at matches? They then play in fear every game & playing under pressure from your own fans is hardly going to encourage anyone to perform to the best of their ability.

14 minutes ago, BCFChayden said:

This is a man who played for the semi pro England team what's not to like. What terrible stats

IMG_0040.PNG

You want to compare these with the playing stats of Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho or Arsene Wenger to name but 3. I have worked with people who are great at their job but are totally clueless at being Managers. THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT ROLES. 

Archived