IGNORED

Last night's attendance

Aizoon

13 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

They have to know and announce the correct figure or the ground will be closed and liecnse to hold sporting events revoked 

if 17k was announced then 17k was there

Of course they will know the real figure and have that internally, but clubs do seem to count in the announced figures season ticket holders as attending in published figures.

Arsenal are a notable example IIRC.

Just to give this "poor attendance" some context, when we played Palace on Sky in Feb 2008, we were at the top of the table and the official attendance was also 16k. Presumably the same assumptions about counting all STH applied then too.

That we now consider that to be a poor attendance, with the team in a much worse position, shows just how far we've come.

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Just to give this "poor attendance" some context, when we played Palace on Sky in Feb 2008, we were at the top of the table and the official attendance was also 16k. Presumably the same assumptions about counting all STH applied then too.

That we now consider that to be a poor attendance, with the team in a much worse position, shows just how far we've come.

Agreed. All the more reason to put on a good show and keep them coming back! Which we've been doing too infrequently this season, and is one of the reasons why people were suggesting that voting with their feet was a way of expressing discontent. 

47 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Of course they will know the real figure and have that internally, but clubs do seem to count in the announced figures season ticket holders as attending in published figures.

Arsenal are a notable example IIRC.

yes there is nowhere near 60,000 at most of the games I see on tv yet that's what figure you see in the paper next day.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

So nothing to do with game being live on Sky and many fans decided to watch the game in the pub and clubs then?

Add to that a wet and miserable night and you have good reasons for a relatively low attendance.

The proof that fans are voting with their feet is absolute nonsense.

In my opinion more people didn't attend because of the current 'situation' the club finds itself in than a bit of rain. It's not like there was a blizzard and four feet of snow :facepalm:

And why would you watch the game on Sky if you had a ST?

15 minutes ago, Atyeo's Love Child said:

Hope our super fans who missed it through their protest, also didn't see it on TV...

They should perhaps follow whoever is doing best in the premier league!

Seems you're equating the protest with some sort of glory hunting. I think you misunderstand the intention of those who protest; it's to demonstrate their dissatisfaction with the current regime and to try to force change. That statement still holds true even if they do then watch the game on TV. Nothing to do with glory hunting.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Seems you're equating the protest with some sort of glory hunting. I think you misunderstand the intention of those who protest; it's to demonstrate their dissatisfaction with the current regime and to try to force change. That statement still holds true even if they do then watch the game on TV. Nothing to do with glory hunting.

Correct. Though for the record I didn't bother watching on TV! Shame it's come to this but I'm a principled kind of person so I won't be returning until the mismanagement  of the club improves quite significantly. My views on SL/LJ still haven't changed though I will accept that (at this early stage) the removal of JP and replacement with JMc seems to have changed something...

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Correct. Though for the record I didn't bother watching on TV! Shame it's come to this but I'm a principled kind of person so I won't be returning until the mismanagement  of the club improves quite significantly. My views on SL/LJ still haven't changed though I will accept that (at this early stage) the removal of JP and replacement with JMc seems to have changed something...

I'd ignore the "super fans" who'll be eternally grateful for whatever is served up. I admire your efforts to make a visible protest against what has been a travesty of a season. But having also missed last night's game I'm perfectly happy to accept that if LJ, having turned dreams to ashes for 5 months, has suddenly stumbled upon the formula to turn base metals into gold I'll have to swallow my reservations and head down to see it for myself. 

That said...it's only one result...

17 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

In my opinion more people didn't attend because of the current 'situation' the club finds itself in than a bit of rain. It's not like there was a blizzard and four feet of snow :facepalm:

You may be right but you simlpy have no idea how many didn't attend and for what reasons. I know two people who didn't go becasue it was easier to watch the game on sky - I'm sure if we were playing good football they would have made the effort to come, so you might put this down to the 'situation' if it suits your agenda.

Me, I just enjoyed the best home game of the season in person, and I watched it back on sky the minute I got home. If you weren't there you missed out.

There is no reason to equate the attendance last night to supporter dissatisfaction. There will be a lot in the same boat as me who were unable to attend due to work or travel, there will be those who choose to save their money and watch it at home and at the pub  and the poor weather conditions would not have helped in that regard. The attendances have been a little lower towards the end of the bad run, but to suggest that people then stayed away after we hadn't lost for 3 games seems a bit of straw clutching to me.

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Some ST holders - me included - don't live in Bristol any more and so evening matches are harder to get to than Saturday matches. Some of them may have watched on TV. I made it to the match though and I'm glad I did! 

2 hours ago, pillred said:

the result might have had something to do with it.

Agreed although the crowd seemed more up for it even before we scored. As was the team; as usual, hard to tell whether we got the team going or vice versa. 

18 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Yes but apparently Bristol Sport make these up for "propaganda" purposes!

^genuine accusation from someone, that.

Have to say that I've not seen anyone argue that.

The reality is that all clubs use the highest possible figure because obviously it puts the best possible gloss on their popularity and has commercial benefits. And supporters groups unhappy with the way their clubs are being run highlight the discrepancy between the published figure and the number of people actually attending. Google it and you'll find stories from Blackpool, Bolton, Villa, Arsenal...

5 hours ago, Aizoon said:

I would guess about 13K. Sky didn't mention it for the obvious reason, but you could see the bald patches all around the ground. 

Not quite one man and his hedgehog, but very thin...

I know there's been talk of having a singing section but I hadn't realised we had earmarked sections of the ground for fans who are follically challenged.

As Bob Dylan used to sing " You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows". It was obvious before the match that the attendance would be low. Fewer people walking through the park to the game and not many in the concourses. Actual attendees probably only equaled 14k ish with the only accurate figure the number of away fans. I can't imagine many Huddersfield fans would have bought tickets and then stayed at home.  Bad weather and Sky TV was obviously a factor, but supporter dissatisfaction with recent performances and the way the club is being run must have played a part. I went, but before the match I was thinking why bother? 

3 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Have to say that I've not seen anyone argue that.

The reality is that all clubs use the highest possible figure because obviously it puts the best possible gloss on their popularity and has commercial benefits. And supporters groups unhappy with the way their clubs are being run highlight the discrepancy between the published figure and the number of people actually attending. Google it and you'll find stories from Blackpool, Bolton, Villa, Arsenal...

But, yes, what you have said is the actual case of what happens, the propaganda claim is just a silly claim.

(Genuinely agree, that reads as a bit sarcastic)

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I don't think that thread suggests that the figures are "made up". 

Clubs understandably use the ticket sales figures because they are higher than the number of people at the game...and I guess you could argue that was "propaganda"...I wouldn't myself.

1 minute ago, Red Exile said:

I don't think that thread suggests that the figures are "made up". 

Clubs understandably use the ticket sales figures because they are higher than the number of people at the game...and I guess you could argue that was "propaganda"...I wouldn't myself.

I agree, dont think it is propaganda at all, I agree with what you are saying.

Archived