IGNORED

The Official Preston North End v Bristol City Match Day Thread

11 minutes ago, RedM said:

Bear with me as I'm only getting bits of this but is he really slagging Mags off, unbelievable.  I really can't imagine those two get on, why would he drop him at every opportunity he can, probably only played him today on the strength of his international showing. Magnusson was most definitely NOT the problem today. The guy has lost the plot if he thinks this

I don't think he ever found the plot tbh

48 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

You rightly criticise the defence but it now contains "one of your own" did Wright look noticeably worse than you remember when he wore the PNE shirt?

He was shite but your whole defence/defensive set-up was. Again I don't want to come across as boastful and upset people but we seem to defend as a unit whereas your lot were defending as individuals. I think Wright's performance shows that in many cases, a defender is only as good as the defensive set-up/the way the manager sets up if you know what I mean. I know Flint is a good defender from what I've seen in the past, Wright definitely is too, but if the set-up is all wrong what can they do? The responsibility lies with the manager. That Magnusson was particularly poor when he came on.

• Like 6
6 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

The myth that Johnson is the worst manager the club has ever had.

The myth that Johnson threw Pemberton under the bus.

That sort of lie.

Lies ?

First is a matter of opinion and all things considered , resources , backing etc he's the worst I've seen in 46 yrs

So can't be a lie or  even a 'sort of lie' :thumbsup:

Second - you know no more than anyone else and what we do know is that Johnson was getting rid of JP,in the summer - call that what you like ,    so .....

Wheres these lies ?

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
7 minutes ago, Missionary said:

God I feel for you lot having watched that tonight. I actually stopped three disconsolate City fans coming out of the ground to shake their hands and tell them to keep their chins up, they looked destroyed.

My previous City watching experience had been the Huddersfield game at AG but this was chalk and cheese.

I sat with my daughter and went through the star studded line up which you have which is easily good enough to be mid table at worse and tried to future out where it has gone wrong for you. To me you like like Leicester did prior to Ranieri going. All at sixes and sevens and no organisation. The cure for that was a sacking and I think this is the only way to go now.

The strikers looked a handful until we scored and then the midfield fell deeper but there was no cohesion in midfield , no sense of team.

Defensively especially in the second half it looked like the players had never played together before. Time after time we found space and opportunity and had we not been so wasteful and found Fielding in good form (at least second half) we could have had double figures.

This was the moist disjointed group of professional footballers I've seen for a long time. Bailey Wright was all over the place and thrived when he had the organisation in a tight back 4 but he looked a shadow of the player we let go.

LJ walked off hands in his pockets and looked completely lost. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go tomorrow morning. Disappointed with Fielding too who shot straight down the tunnel. Those 300 hardy souls who made the trip needed acknowledging.

Anyway good luck for the rest of the season, keep your chins up and keep fighting. Let's hope LJ goes and you get a response from the players like Leicester did.

Nice words Missonary :clap:

Bizarre that you can see in 90mins what some on here couldn't see for months and months !!!!!!

• Like 7
5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I'm filling in my Ikea Family Card application .

In all fairness IKEA furniture has always been considered garbage but it is now officially better garbage than City. I see and fully understand your subliminal message Major.

What a sad day to be a City fan and to hear many of us wish for more Preston goals; that is how exasperated we all are with the complete clowns of Johnson and Holden in charge.

I agree with a few others... We have a better chance of staying up with Wilbs and O'Neill in charge. The players will give there all for those guys. Otherwise i now think we are down unless the players just utterly ignore Johnson but that would keep him in charge.. What a catch 22 for them.

Edited by havanatopia

Well, I think tonight goes to prove that the players really do want Johnson gone. There is simply no passion, no fight, and no heart.

That performance against Huddersfield was from players putting themselves in the shop window for other clubs to snap them up as soon as the ship has sunk. No playing for pride or for Bristol City, or for the master dynamic young coach, but for THEMSELVES.

I gave up months ago. Been bleating on since October about Johnson being tactically clueless, and Lansdowns "the blame lies with the fans" interview was the final straw.

I am hanging around waiting for my prediction to come to fruition but with nothing but pain in my heart. We have a nice ground but a club ran by a bunch of ******* ***** and some fans who would gladly put shit in their hands and clap if it was in the name of Bristol City. Well blind faithful I hope you are happy with continuing to get behind selfish players who give zero **** about the club. Well done! And well done behind the scenes muppets. Hope you are proud of your achievements in making this club the absolute laughing stock of the west. I hope you ******* choke on your project. You ******* *****!

• Like 3
7 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Lies ?

First is a matter of opinion and all things considered , resources , backing etc he's the worst I've seen in 46 yrs

So can't be a lie or  even a 'sort of lie' :thumbsup:

Second - you know no more than anyone else and what we do know is that Johnson was getting rid of JP,in the summer - call that what you like ,    so .....

Wheres these lies ?

Yes, we do know Johnson was getting rid of Pemberton in the summer, so what part of that equates to Pemberton being thrown under the bus? Seeing as it's openly known that was the plan from before the bad results started, it cannot, no matter how much you want to twist it, cannot be reasonable and logically argued that Pemberton was thrown under the bus.

Johnson has just under a top 10 record since joining us, that record is better than most managers who have taken charge of us at this level, so to jump from that to worst manager we have ever had is absurd at best. Worst at turning things around once it went wrong, that could be argued. But simply worst ever manager is absolutely nonsense.

5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Yes, we do know Johnson was getting rid of Pemberton in the summer, so what part of that equates to Pemberton being thrown under the bus? Seeing as it's openly known that was the plan from before the bad results started, it cannot, no matter how much you want to twist it, cannot be reasonable and logically argued that Pemberton was thrown under the bus.

Call It what you like but after bigging  him (JP) up in several interviews he decided to get rid of him to create a space for his other mate 

Johnson has just under a top 10 record since joining us, that record is better than most managers who have taken charge of us at this level, so to jump from that to worst manager we have ever had is absurd at best. Worst at turning things around once it went wrong, that could be argued. But simply worst ever manager is absolutely nonsense.

Youre opinion - not shared by many others

I have been a City addict since 1970/71 , worked for the club and in the game , and followed City to all corners

And in my opinion, he's the worst

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
Just now, JamesBCFC said:

I'm reluctant to intrude on the ongoing feud between you and Bob, but James, it really isn't nonsense. I'm not sure how long you've been supporting the club, maybe longer than me, but I started a youngster in the early days of the Dicks era. We've not had that many managers since, and for my money, and for all the reasons outlined in the thread addressing the issue, he really is the worst...and getting worse by the week. In addition to his inability to competently manage the playing side of things he now comes across as a completely charmless man, lashing out in the media in a cowardly way at players who can say nothing in return to defend their reputations. I can recall few, if any, of his predecessors who rubbished their own players....

3 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

So that's a no then.:thumbsup:

Ultimately whether I want LJ to stay or go is irrelevant and my opinion on the topic one way or the other will change nothing for better or worse, regardless of where I stand.

Curious as to why my opinion is wanted to be known?

As I said before, nowadays I will defend where it is due, and I'll add now I will criticise where due. I missed all of yesterdays game and cannot make any sensible criticism until I see the game on player, but will say a team does not play well and lose 5-0. So clearly Johnson got things wrong last night (and of course during many other games this season). Frankly I do not care who is in charge of us until the end of the season, on the proviso that we do not get relegated.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I'm reluctant to intrude on the ongoing feud between you and Bob, but James, it really isn't nonsense. I'm not sure how long you've been supporting the club, maybe longer than me, but I started a youngster in the early days of the Dicks era. We've not had that many managers since, and for my money, and for all the reasons outlined in the thread addressing the issue, he really is the worst...and getting worse by the week. In addition to his inability to competently manage the playing side of things he now comes across as a completely charmless man, lashing out in the media in a cowardly way at players who can say nothing in return to defend their reputations. I can recall few, if any, of his predecessors who rubbished their own players....

I'm reluctant to continue the "feud" with BBSB to be honest, so a debate with someone who is on the whole more respectful would be welcomed (sorry Bob :thumbsup:)
I am a younger supporter, my first games likely to have been under John Ward or Benny Lennartsson. So have relatively few managers to draw comparisons to, particularly at this level.

I would disagree with what you say about his comments on the players, though as of right now, haven't seen what he has said about Magnusson following last nights game. I agree he does give some criticism about them in interviews, it would be outright denial of the facts to not accept that, but he has also in all cases (not counting the Magnusson interview as I haven't heard it) taken care to compliment the player(s) at the same time. In the Tomlin one back around December ish(?) he gave a decent amount of praise and sandwiched the criticisms in between the praise, much like teachers tend to do when talking to parents at a parents evenings. And in the more recent one (was it about Taylor/the January signings?) he gave a few critical comments, but also gave positive ones and said he backed them all to come good for us, so though he did criticise them, he didn't lash out at them by any stretch.

There have also been cases of much more successful managers who publicly criticised their players, Mourinho singled out 4 players after they drew against West Ham the other day. Think I also heard he criticised Luke Shaw recently too. Criticising players in public certainly isn't something you want a manager to make a habit out of, but there are cases where it can help, some players will respond better to a word in private, some will respond better to something less private. If, and it is a big if, Johnson has correctly worked out who responds best to what, and followed that through, then, providing it is done right I do not see an issue with the occasional public criticism.

Looking at purely his record with us, Johnsons got a better record than 12 different managers since Dicks, however looking at that alone would be naive, and being a younger fan, there are few managers who have had us at this level where I have had any/much knowledge of things such as the budget or background infrastructure, so it is difficult for me to really make a comparison other than to acknowledge that he has had the better situation in both those cases. I think Johnson has underachieved considering his budget with us, but think most of his signings will come good for us, and he perhaps focused too much on potential when buying in the summer. As I said above to Vincent Vega, at the moment I do not care who manages us to the end of the season now providing, we stay up- though if that is Johnson, he should be given the chance to start fresh (maybe not totally fresh as a clean slate, but ease off a bit) next season. If we are struggling at any point next season (barring the first 8-10 games while the table shapes up, but even then if we started atrociously he would have to go) he should absolutely go.

P.S- sorry for the essay 

Edited by JamesBCFC
15 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

P.S- sorry for the essay 

No need to apologise. I understand where you are coming from...but a couple of thoughts.

From my perspective, looking back to, say, the 80s, no other manager has had so much offered them and made so little of it. I'd say that we have a squad that's more than capable of at least holding their own at this level and a set up off the pitch that in theory matches the standard required in the second tier. This is the first occasion that I can recall us squandering such resources. In the past we lacked something, usually a squad capable of competing. This time it seems, to me, that what we lack is a competent manager. I saw most of the matches we played under LJ up to Christmas. Something went horribly wrong in that first international break.

And whilst it's true that some managers get away with criticising their player in public, very few do it. If you are Jose you can point to your medals and trophies as justification for your stance. LJ has nothing to fall back on, as a manager or player. Hordur Magnusson, to take one example, has already achieved more in his playing career than Lee Johnson and has a successful career ahead of him. If I was his agent I'd be looking for an exit.

As for the future. I think he's blown it at City. He knew he was a divisive appointment. Not admired as a player, although I personally had no beef with him. If he continues then he's very lucky. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I'm reluctant to continue the "feud" with BBSB to be honest, so a debate with someone who is on the whole more respectful would be welcomed (sorry Bob :thumbsup:)
I am a younger supporter, my first games likely to have been under John Ward or Benny Lennartsson. So have relatively few managers to draw comparisons to, particularly at this level.

I would disagree with what you say about his comments on the players, though as of right now, haven't seen what he has said about Magnusson following last nights game. I agree he does give some criticism about them in interviews, it would be outright denial of the facts to not accept that, but he has also in all cases (not counting the Magnusson interview as I haven't heard it) taken care to compliment the player(s) at the same time. In the Tomlin one back around December ish(?) he gave a decent amount of praise and sandwiched the criticisms in between the praise, much like teachers tend to do when talking to parents at a parents evenings. And in the more recent one (was it about Taylor/the January signings?) he gave a few critical comments, but also gave positive ones and said he backed them all to come good for us, so though he did criticise them, he didn't lash out at them by any stretch.

There have also been cases of much more successful managers who publicly criticised their players, Mourinho singled out 4 players after they drew against West Ham the other day. Think I also heard he criticised Luke Shaw recently too. Criticising players in public certainly isn't something you want a manager to make a habit out of, but there are cases where it can help, some players will respond better to a word in private, some will respond better to something less private. If, and it is a big if, Johnson has correctly worked out who responds best to what, and followed that through, then, providing it is done right I do not see an issue with the occasional public criticism.

Looking at purely his record with us, Johnsons got a better record than 12 different managers since Dicks, however looking at that alone would be naive, and being a younger fan, there are few managers who have had us at this level where I have had any/much knowledge of things such as the budget or background infrastructure, so it is difficult for me to really make a comparison other than to acknowledge that he has had the better situation in both those cases. I think Johnson has underachieved considering his budget with us, but think most of his signings will come good for us, and he perhaps focused too much on potential when buying in the summer. As I said above to Vincent Vega, at the moment I do not care who manages us to the end of the season now providing, we stay up- though if that is Johnson, he should be given the chance to start fresh (maybe not totally fresh as a clean slate, but ease off a bit) next season. If we are struggling at any point next season (barring the first 8-10 games while the table shapes up, but even then if we started atrociously he would have to go) he should absolutely go.

P.S- sorry for the essay 

Respectful

Coming from you 

Simply priceless

Mr ' at least one argument a day'

How about not liking debates where you struggle..... more like it

:laughcont:

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
14 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Respectful

Coming from you 

Simply priceless

I usually stay respectful, until the other person makes a disrespectful comment, at which point I will respond in kind, though I can admit that is not always the case, though I thought it clear from the way I put it that I was being lighthearted. Evidently not.

Edited by JamesBCFC
3 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

No need to apologise. I understand where you are coming from...but a couple of thoughts.

From my perspective, looking back to, say, the 80s, no other manager has had so much offered them and made so little of it. I'd say that we have a squad that's more than capable of at least holding their own at this level and a set up off the pitch that in theory matches the standard required in the second tier. This is the first occasion that I can recall us squandering such resources. In the past we lacked something, usually a squad capable of competing. This time it seems, to me, that what we lack is a competent manager. I saw most of the matches we played under LJ up to Christmas. Something went horribly wrong in that first international break.

And whilst it's true that some managers get away with criticising their player in public, very few do it. If you are Jose you can point to your medals and trophies as justification for your stance. LJ has nothing to fall back on, as a manager or player. Hordur Magnusson, to take one example, has already achieved more in his playing career than Lee Johnson and has a successful career ahead of him. If I was his agent I'd be looking for an exit.

As for the future. I think he's blown it at City. He knew he was a divisive appointment. Not admired as a player, although I personally had no beef with him. If he continues then he's very lucky. 

Hard to disagree with anything you have said there.

The 80's were before my time, so I cannot compare to then, but I do realise and respect we were in a dreadful state and nearly lost the club in '82. From bits of reading I do wonder if in the immediate years after that the club were perhaps a bit too focused on the then and now and needed to do a little bit more in terms of developing away from the pitch. Whether that was entirely possible I don't know.

Slightly away from the topic, but perhaps a little relevant in terms of talking about man management, I would say there is a case to say Mourinho isn't a very good man manager (borne out by how he has never sustained anything beyond a third season, with multiple bust ups with club officials and players cited), and if argued well that would of course negate my point about him making the public criticisms before! But as you say, he also has a huge number of trophies and winners medals which can be used to justify his methods.

With regards to the future, I've been careful recently not to say anything one way or the other about being pro or anti Johnson, but right now I am simply neutral. I am tired of the sacking culture and the cycle we go through here, which has led to extended patience this time around, but the results overall from October to now have been nothing short of terrible. From February to October though they were very good (top 6 form over that time), which again led to a little more patience. At the end of the day relegation would not be an acceptable thing, so whatever must be done to prevent that should be done.

• Like 1

First and foremost - I felt genuinely disappointed for the travelling city fans last night , also like another Preston fan offered a chin up it will be ok speech after the game as we walked back to the car and went on own ways , they didn't look angry just embarrassed and as I  got to my car after a 5-0 win I tried to remember a worse second half display from a side at Deepdale in my 40 + years of going on , as at today Im not sure Ive seen a side roll over and not give a dam ( barring maybe 2/3 players ) and clearly not playing for the manager , being outplayed ( seen that a lot ! ) is one thing , not trying is inexcusable as a professional in any walk of life and despite walking away the game it wasn't pleasant  even as a Preston fan , to see a tremendous club have to see that was and should not be allowed - Im staggered as to how he's still in charge today in honesty , not an ounce of gloating from me would have posted however the game turned out and I see no point in going through the game other than to say Ive seen some shockers from Preston sides getting hammered 6-0 and 7-4 spring to mind but not seen that many players not give a dam , full credit to Tammy and what it goes to prove is how valuable a manager is in motivating players , tactics , team spirt over price tags - nothing more evident last night than Barkhuizen a free form Morecambe and McGeady/Tomlin and worst of all for me the worst performance Ive ever seen Bailey Wright put in - he's not that bad a player , disappointed that he left but all his confidence looks gone and the taunting was petty and childish from our supporters for a player who gave it 100% every time I saw him play in a Preston shirt - not sure I could say that in the second half last night .... had the Huddersfield pre game to base my judgement on and never thought relegation was an issue despite results for you with that squad but having seen Blackburn , Notts Forest and yourselves in the last three games you look doomed unless Johnson is fired and an interim put in charge and with the fixtures left you survive IMO but not with a squad who threw the towel in last night ....

All the best for the rest of the season , can offer no words of sympathy but hope I see you at Ashton game next season in the Championship , travesty if not 

Mortis

Edited by Mortis
  • Like 11
1 minute ago, Mortis said:

First and foremost - I felt genuinely disappointed for the travelling city fans last night , also like another Preston fan offered a chin up it will be ok speech after the game as we walked back to the car and went on own ways , they didn't look angry just embarrassed and as I  got to my car after a 5-0 win I tried to remember a worse second half display from a side at Deepdale in my 40 + years of going on , as at today Im not sure Ive seen a side roll over and not give a dam ( barring maybe 2/3 players ) and clearly not playing for the manager , being outplayed ( seen that a lot ! ) is one thing , not trying is inexcusable as a professional in any walk of life and despite walking away the game it wasn't pleasant  even as a Preston fan , to see a tremendous club have to see that was and should not be allowed - Im staggered as to how he's still in charge today in honesty , not an ounce of gloating from me would have posted however the game turned out and I see no point in going through the game other than to say Ive seen some shockers from Preston sides getting hammered 6-0 and 7-4 spring to mind but not seen that many players not give a dam , full credit to Tammy and what it goes to prove is how valuable a manager is in motivating players , tactics , team spirt over price tags - nothing more evident last night than Barkhuizen a free form Morecambe and McGeady/Tomlin and worst of all for me the worst performance Ive ever seen Bailey Wright put in - he's not that bad a player , disappointed that he left but all his confidence looks gone and the taunting was petty and childish from our supporters for a player who gave it 100% every time I saw him play in a Preston shirt - not sure I could say that in the second half last night .... had the Huddersfield pre game to base my judgement on and never thought relegation was an issue despite results for you with that squad but having seen Blackburn , Notts Forest and yourselves in the last three games you look doomed unless Johnson is fired and an interim put in charge and with the fixtures left you survive IMO but not with a squad who threw the towel in last night ....

All the best for the rest of the season , can offer no words of sympathy but hope I see you at Ashton game next season in the Championship , travesty if not 

Mortis

Nice one Mortis

A complete shambles , embarrassing

Good Luck in your run for the Play Offs :thumbsup:

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Mortis said:

Mortis

Thanks Mortis. Good luck to you and PNE fella.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Mortis said:

Mortis

Cheers mate. Best of luck for the rest of the season hopefully you can sneak into those playoffs then turn Leeds over.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Respectful

Coming from you 

Simply priceless

Mr ' at least one argument a day'

How about not liking debates where you struggle..... more like it

:laughcont:

Why do you bother with this cock? 

Put him on ignore, he just wants someone to argue away his life with! So sad!!