IGNORED

Alcohol in stands and officious stewards

Nongazeuse

Just now, cidered abroad said:

I now believe that football fans are fortunate to have the law that does not allow consumption of alcohol within sight of the pitch. I have an ST at Bristol and it's a complete pain in the ass to have to keep standing up for those wh cannot go 40 minutes with alcohol. So football fans don't have this to put up with.

And a final word to the OP, Ignorance of the law is not an excuse to break the law. It is each person's responsibility to know the laws relating to whatever they do in life.

I also believe now that the segregation of fans at football actually benefits the away team especially. A large group of one team's supporters can make a considerably greater amount of noise in support of one's team than from those spread around a stadium as is the case at rugby.

Not only this but I for one don`t want to be showered with lukewarm cider when we score by some clown who forgets he`s holding a pint. If drinking were to be allowed again I would like to think that the club would set aside a `no drinking` block at least.

7 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I now believe that football fans are fortunate to have the law that does not allow consumption of alcohol within sight of the pitch. I have an ST at Bristol and it's a complete pain in the ass to have to keep standing up for those who cannot go 40 minutes with alcohol. So football fans don't have this to put up with.

And a final word to the OP, Ignorance of the law is not an excuse to break the law. It is each person's responsibility to know the laws relating to whatever they do in life.

I also believe now that the segregation of fans at football actually benefits the away team especially. A large group of one team's supporters can make a considerably greater amount of noise in support of one's team than from those spread around a stadium as is the case at rugby.

The OP wasn't excusing the breaking of the law, the OP was commenting that his daughters were verbally abused by club officials for doing so.

5 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

It applies to a "public service vehicle" which "is being used for the principal purpose of carrying passengers for the whole or part of a journey to or from a designated sporting event." The only such designated sporting events are football matches.

In the event of a hired minibus carrying you and your mates only, I think this is fine. But if you have a driver paid for the role, this appears to cross the boundary since the vehicle is being operated by a PSV (with the relevant licensing requirements being applied).

It also includes trains where they are "being used for the principal purpose of carrying passengers for the whole or part of a journey to or from a designated sporting event." So a football special would have alcohol prohibited but a trip from Bristol to Birmingham on a train that is running routinely from Penzance to Aberdeen is not restricted.

DISCLAIMER (I'm taking no chances!): I'm not a lawyer, so please don't consider this to be formal legal advice. If in doubt, please seek professional legal advice. etc

So what if the principal purpose was to have a drinking session while on the move and happen to take in a game of football before turning around and coming back.... :fear:

7 hours ago, David Brent said:

It's not jobsworth. If other people who don't know the rules (are there even any?..) see you and your daughters with a pint then maybe they'd try to do the same. The steward was doing his job.

why is alcohol allowed at rugby and not football, is it at all football grounds, it cant be for health and safety grounds or it would not be allowed for rugby, are we considered to be not trustworthy, if that is the reason then it's ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, pillred said:

why is alcohol allowed at rugby and not football, is it at all football grounds, it cant be for health and safety grounds or it would not be allowed for rugby, are we considered to be not trustworthy, if that is the reason then it's ridiculous.

The simple answer is yes, and yes.

Don't find it that ridiculous alcohol isn't allowed in the stands at football, it's two halves of 45 minutes, can people really attend a football match and not go 4( minutes without? You can drink before, in between halves and after, why the need to drink during? And as others have said people would probably get drenched in alcohol from it being thrown in the air after goals look at the video of the bar in the England v wales game as evidence. Probably best to not be able to if u18's are around, I'm sure parents would be thrilled for their kids to get covered in alcohol. Then the fact you could then have many people constantly wanting to leave their seats to go get drinks, would get annoying your view being blocked regularly as a result. 

And this is all before more potential violence as a result of more drunk fans. 

7 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Thanks VFTD. Hubby has a PCV/PSV/D licence so all good on the driver front should the need ever arise! Technically he also holds a publican licence too but can't sell beer from the back of a minibus...

I can provide A Wan/ker license if that comes in handy

10 hours ago, RumRed said:

Still not allowed, even through the window. If you shut the curtains you're fine.

The world's insane, however after being to rugby I don't want drinking in the stands, constantly having to stand up to let a load of hooray's in and out to get rounds in.  Went to Twickenham and saw hardly any of the game at all.

It's also allowed at cricket. Greyhound racing - not trackside, but from the restaurant you can drink whilst through watching through the windows. This is a pet hate of mine as it shows there is not the same law for everyone.

45 minutes ago, 22A said:

It's also allowed at cricket. Greyhound racing - not trackside, but from the restaurant you can drink whilst through watching through the windows. This is a pet hate of mine as it shows there is not the same law for everyone.

It's at the Horse Racing I've seen most drunken violence recently.

2 hours ago, 22A said:

Probably because there's not the same history with the fans at cricket and fans are able to mix together without incident. 

IT is weird the difference between football and rugby, but after being at every home match for both sports this season bar one here are my views;

Football fans are far more passionate when watching the game, jumping up not only to celebrate goals but for other things, eg heated parts of the game, bad decisions, to applauded players when subbed etc. Rugby fans rarely seem to get to their feet for anything.

Football fans have a drink before the game, maybe have to go to the loo during the game and leave just before HT to get another. Rugby fans drink more, 2 pint jugs are not uncommon. They therefore are constantly getting up and down from their seats to bring drinks back or go to the loo. Missing chunks of the game doesn't seem an issue for them.

At football I have never seen disagreements happen because someone has nudged someone and spilt their pint in the stands. At rugby it's a common occurance, party due to rival fans all mixed in together. 

So to summarise, the rugby drinkers are a pain not only as they are up and down all the time but the way they watch the game. They are there primarily to drink and the game seems to be an afterthought, something they will occasionally glance at. I like to be segregated away from the opposing fans in football, makes the rivalry seem more passionate and intense. I wouldn't want to see pitchside drinking reintroduced at football really. 

• Admin

Just now, GoodridgeandGoater said:

The rule does apply in VIP boxes. I used to do a bit of hospitality work at Wembley. At 10 minutes before kick-off a blind would come down so that the pitch was not, quite literally, 'in view'. This is the workaround to enable boozing in hospitality while remaining within the law. 

Very true, been in a box at Wembley and the blind comes down, been in a box at a City game and a curtain is drawn across

Back to the OP, not sure drink has ever been allowed in a football league ground - it's not even served in the ground at competitive internationals.

BUT, took a friend along to his first ever football match earlier in the season, he wondered back into one of the disabled areas by mistake with a drink and was leapt upon like he had stolen the crown jewels. Equally the way the steward dealt with your situation was wrong - all we can do is take their number and report them for their actions so that they don't act like that again

2 hours ago, RedM said:

IT is weird the difference between football and rugby, but after being at every home match for both sports this season bar one here are my views;

Football fans are far more passionate when watching the game, jumping up not only to celebrate goals but for other things, eg heated parts of the game, bad decisions, to applauded players when subbed etc. Rugby fans rarely seem to get to their feet for anything.

Football fans have a drink before the game, maybe have to go to the loo during the game and leave just before HT to get another. Rugby fans drink more, 2 pint jugs are not uncommon. They therefore are constantly getting up and down from their seats to bring drinks back or go to the loo. Missing chunks of the game doesn't seem an issue for them.

At football I have never seen disagreements happen because someone has nudged someone and spilt their pint in the stands. At rugby it's a common occurance, party due to rival fans all mixed in together. 

So to summarise, the rugby drinkers are a pain not only as they are up and down all the time but the way they watch the game. They are there primarily to drink and the game seems to be an afterthought, something they will occasionally glance at. I like to be segregated away from the opposing fans in football, makes the rivalry seem more passionate and intense. I wouldn't want to see pitchside drinking reintroduced at football really. 

12 hours ago, hodge said:

Don't find it that ridiculous alcohol isn't allowed in the stands at football, it's two halves of 45 minutes, can people really attend a football match and not go 4( minutes without? You can drink before, in between halves and after, why the need to drink during? And as others have said people would probably get drenched in alcohol from it being thrown in the air after goals look at the video of the bar in the England v wales game as evidence. Probably best to not be able to if u18's are around, I'm sure parents would be thrilled for their kids to get covered in alcohol. Then the fact you could then have many people constantly wanting to leave their seats to go get drinks, would get annoying your view being blocked regularly as a result. 

And this is all before more potential violence as a result of more drunk fans. 

Totally agree with both these posts, they are absolutely spot on and sum up what would happen perfectly.

As Hodge has said, if you can`t go 45 minutes without the need for a drink you really need to take a serious look at yourself IMO.

21 hours ago, stevep38 said:

But manners cost nothing. The steward should of just quietly pointed it out and  asked politely that they returned to the concourse with the drinks.  Shouting at and making a scene is not called for. 

Maybe so, but how well do you keep your patience if say several hundred people have tried the same thing already that day?

It's obviously wrong, and the steward should have been polite about it but I bet it gets frustrating

• Admin
4 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Maybe so, but how well do you keep your patience if say several hundred people have tried the same thing already that day?

It's obviously wrong, and the steward should have been polite about it but I bet it gets frustrating

Sadly it's tough - if they chose a customer facing job it is part of their job

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

It might  get frustrating but professional  polite behaviour should always happen. If you can't be polite and professional then maybe the steward shouldn't be in that position. To me polite  and professional behaviour should be a minimum requirement in such a job. I certainly wouldn't take kindly to someone being so stroppy with me and would tell him/her in no uncertain  terms. 

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Totally agree with both these posts, they are absolutely spot on and sum up what would happen perfectly.

As Hodge has said, if you can`t go 45 minutes without the need for a drink you really need to take a serious look at yourself IMO.

I have a few people around me who arrive at their seats 10 minutes into the game, take it in turns to have a p*ss over the next 25 minutes and then head for the concourse 10 minutes before half-time......then they repeat the process during the second half.

Whilst they are sat in their seats, they hold conversations about anything and everything.

I just don't get it.

3 hours ago, MarcusX said:

In which case perhaps a customer facing job isn't for them. Zero excuse for rude behaviour towards supporters if they themselves are being polite and civil and have genuinely just not known the rules. 

27 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

No excuses for stewards being rude if it was a genuine case of not knowing the rules.

Being firm with people can often be mistaken for being rude by some.

Some people accept being told they can't do something whilst others resent it.

On 18/04/2017 at 15:48, Nongazeuse said:

My two daughters (aged in 20s) attended Friday's match, one for the first time in several years.

They both took a glass of cider into the seats in the Lower Dolman stand and were shouted at by a very officious steward and told they were not allowed to bring alcohol to the seats.  He also got very angry with other people doing the same thing.

Is this actually banned?  I have done this myself in the past and indeed one daughter had been to the rugby earlier this year and not been harangued or prevented from doing so.

If this is not permitted then it seems odd to market drinks so openly.  Is coffee or tea allowed in as well?

Whatever the rules I think the steward in question needs some training in basic manners - at least one of my girls was upset enough not to want to return to Ashton Gate.

Has this been reported to the Club, otherwise they will not be able to give training in basic manners suggested.

27 minutes ago, Dave said:

Has this been reported to the Club, otherwise they will not be able to give training in basic manners suggested.

You  shouldn't have to give training in basic manners. That should be your parents job when a toddler not a grown up. And certainly not in a customer focused position

4 minutes ago, stevep38 said:

You  shouldn't have to give training in basic manners. That should be your parents job when a toddler not a grown up. And certainly not in a customer focused position

I obviously agree with all your comments.

My point was, has the Club been informed of this situation, to enable appropriate action to be taken, to stop a reoccurrence.

Archived