IGNORED

Joe Bryan

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Bryan has far more ability than McAllister ever had. He was a very average LB. I doubt he could teach Bryan anything.

McAllister was consistent, always gave 100% and played to the best of his ability. He's got a good understanding of football, is a team man and has a good personality. Not a bad person to learn from. 

1 minute ago, redapple said:

McAllister was consistent, always gave 100% and played to the best of his ability. He's got a good understanding of football, is a team man and has a good personality. Not a bad person to learn from. 

Lots of players give 100% and McAllisters case made up for his lack of ability.

Obviously LJ likes him............:facepalm:

Sky mentioned several times during the match that City have been working on keeping a maximum distance of 45 yards between the most advanced player and the last defender. Perhaps City being less stretched means Bryan and Little are now getting more support from midfield players 

5 minutes ago, cockneydave said:

And i have every right to comment!

Course you do Dave. Just find it amazing how you complain about people giving him stick when he is clearly underperforming for weeks on end.

My point was that he has played well over the last few weeks so do you stay with him and hope he finds that consistency or look to replace him with someone. If he plays next season like he has ended this one then he won't have anyone on his back will he...

14 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Course you do Dave. Just find it amazing how you complain about people giving him stick when he is clearly underperforming for weeks on end.

My point was that he has played well over the last few weeks so do you stay with him and hope he finds that consistency or look to replace him with someone. If he plays next season like he has ended this one then he won't have anyone on his back will he...

Fair enough comment but i think endless stick  does the player no good.I think he tries too hard sometimes and gets it wrong and he also comes up against some really good players.I also think he has learnt a lot this season and will be all the better for it.But i get your point.

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Joe Bryan did not play well just at the end of the season did he?

He played well v Leeds (v Ayling), Preston, Reading and others... If accepted he could not have been underperforming for weeks on end, or utter shit for most of the season.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Bryan has far more ability than McAllister ever had. He was a very average LB. I doubt he could teach Bryan anything.

Coaching has very little to do with the coaches playing performances. It's about imparting knowledge to the recipient. Many of the best coaches were not star or even good players.

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

Ashley Cole was one of the best left backs in the world in his prime and I wouldn't even trust him to tie his shoelaces correctly, let alone coach a young player effectively. Tony Adams was one of the most dominant defenders and leaders the Premier League has ever seen and his managerial career shows that he couldn't even organise a minibus-headbutting contest on Gloucester Road!

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

But you say Macca can't teach Joe anything because he was, in your opinion, an average player. You seem to be contradicting yourself.

I was thinking along the lines of Wenger and Mourinho - neither played to a decent level.

Macca on the other hand......

10 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

So, how do you get Bryan to perform consistently well throughout a season?

I think he'll be a consistent, strong performer if he is provided with cover / support from the left winger.

When we play with either O'Dowda or Paterson in front of Joe he looks a much more confident player. He gets far more support / cover as they track back and 'help out' and is far less exposed.

When we play with Tomlin out there, who likes to roam he is dreadfully exposed...this means our midfielders are pulled out of position to cover which also leave gaps elsewhere.

The answer, for me at least, is have a mobile left winger who can do both a good job defensively as well as attack.

On 30/04/2017 at 13:21, adamski said:

Sick of the stick Joe gets, he's young and developing. Off days and on days. More on than off, during the awful run our defence was hammered, Flint looked more panel beater than world beater at times this season, after last night everyone claiming he's off to the Prem, we are a work in progress, lucky not to have blown up, but doing okay at the present!

I think he's been mostly rubbish since being back in the championship - in fact probably the player I've been most disappointed in from our promotion season 

Think he struggles at left back.

Lot going on.

Its the instruction he is getting.

Joe, Joe we're pressing.

Joe, Joe don't press.

Joe drop and press.

Joe were going with a bit of position orientated zonal marking.

Joe we have gone to a higher lower line your going lower high keep it higher lower.

Joe go to LWB.

Joe centre.

Joe LB.

Joe your off. 

35 minutes ago, Sixtyseconds said:

Think he struggles at left back.

Lot going on.

Its the instruction he is getting.

Joe, Joe we're pressing.

Joe, Joe don't press.

Joe drop and press.

Joe were going with a bit of position orientated zonal marking.

Joe we have gone to a higher lower line your going lower high keep it higher lower.

Joe go to LWB.

Joe centre.

Joe LB.

Joe your off. 

He's been great the past month or so since he's had the hard working Patterson in front of him, I think he was often a victim of being left isolated. Although I do get the criticism often aimed at him that he can look like he's not going 'all out' sometimes.

When he plays at 100% aggression with full confidence he's a very good player, particularly going forward. When not he verges on being a passenger and can be one of our most frustrating players.  

38 minutes ago, RedSA said:

He's been great the past month or so since he's had the hard working Patterson in front of him, I think he was often a victim of being left isolated. Although I do get the criticism often aimed at him that he can look like he's not going 'all out' sometimes.

When he plays at 100% aggression with full confidence he's a very good player, particularly going forward. When not he verges on being a passenger and can be one of our most frustrating players.  

I think Joe Bryan frequently makes telling contributions.

Good and bad.

Has done all season.

He is no Philipp Lahm doing it all.

None of them are.

The team benefitted from having a sketch. The same sketch. Each week. For a few weeks.

Now the same players are in the sketch. Each week. For a few weeks and the short bloke but with the big marker pen on the tactics board has stopped scribbling all over that sketch each week, each game, each half.  

It comes as no surprise that finally half a ton of pennies dropped .. Stopping the hokey cokey tactics divided by complication squared they all got better.

58 minutes ago, Sixtyseconds said:

I think Joe Bryan frequently makes telling contributions.

Good and bad.

Has done all season.

He is no Philipp Lahm doing it all.

None of them are.

The team benefitted from having a sketch. The same sketch. Each week. For a few weeks.

Now the same players are in the sketch. Each week. For a few weeks and the short bloke but with the big marker pen on the tactics board has stopped scribbling all over that sketch each week, each game, each half.  

It comes as no surprise that finally half a ton of pennies dropped .. Stopping the hokey cokey tactics divided by complication squared they all got better.

And when it doesn't work it will be because the tactics are too rigid and he has his favourites who are never dropped. It's an easy game from the terraces. 

1 hour ago, RedSA said:

Problem i have with Joe is his concentration. He switches off way to often and lets players run off him . He also doesn't track back quick enough when he's lost the ball to get back in position.

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

And when it doesn't work it will be because the tactics are too rigid and he has his favourites who are never dropped. It's an easy game from the terraces. 

There was a clip on here of  a goal conceded.

One was Bryan.

One City player pressed.

One player screened.

One player dropped.

And one player looked like he was in a world of soup armed with a fork faced with deciding what to do.

None of the payers looked liked they knew what they were doing.

Yes an easy game.

Simple.

Knowing as a team what they are doing does not require rigid.

Neither does being all over the show.

However the last few weeks has shown how simplicity is the way forward.

Simple Johnson ... Might turn it around yet next season. The complicated confused one was going down.

25 minutes ago, Sixtyseconds said:

There was a clip on here of  a goal conceded.

One was Bryan.

One City player pressed.

One player screened.

One player dropped.

And one player looked like he was in a world of soup armed with a fork faced with deciding what to do.

None of the payers looked liked they knew what they were doing.

Yes an easy game.

Simple.

Knowing as a team what they are doing does not require rigid.

Neither does being all over the show.

However the last few weeks has shown how simplicity is the way forward.

Simple Johnson ... Might turn it around yet next season. The complicated confused one was going down.

Amazing you can get all that from one goal, congratulations. I'd rather just watch the game.

50 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Problem i have with Joe is his concentration. He switches off way to often and lets players run off him . He also doesn't track back quick enough when he's lost the ball to get back in position.

Yes, I noticed that, although he seems to be getting better since the new formation. 

He does often look like he's half running when he's chasing back. 

15 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Amazing you can get all that from one goal, congratulations. I'd rather just watch the game.

Twas just one exhibit for the prosecution.

Could have used others.

Another exhibit.

This time instead of the back I will do the front. 

"Wanderin Tomlin and Taylor are playing in the same space Lee"!

"There's nobody up top Lee"

"We've gone 4-6-0 Lee"

"Best get Djuric on Lee"

When the Head does not know what it is doing the Coached wont either. 

1 minute ago, Sixtyseconds said:

Could have used others.

Another exhibit.

"We've gone 4-6-0 Lee"

"Best get Djuric on Lee"

Judging by your comments, you seem to be suggesting that the Head Coach is 100% responsible for every decision made on the pitch. Therefore, I assume you'll take this opportunity to praise Lee Johnson for our excellent performances of late, which to follow your logic, are 100% down to him, and him alone?

19 minutes ago, El Hombrecito said:

Judging by your comments, you seem to be suggesting that the Head Coach is 100% responsible for every decision made on the pitch. Therefore, I assume you'll take this opportunity to praise Lee Johnson for our excellent performances of late, which to follow your logic, are 100% down to him, and him alone?

Yes the Head coach is responsible.

If he is not responsible for selection and tactics he is irresponsible ... Not good that.

That is not what that Mr Ashton told us.

Mr Ashton gave the little one the big one.

Coach them well they play better.

Coach them better for longer the team will be better.

If you want to get Lee Johnson a trophy for not being crap enough to get relegated the gaff by the Ropewalk will do one in minutes for a score ... Personally patting somebody on the back and giving it you were shit for months and might not be shit now is no trophy .. Sorry.

29 minutes ago, Sixtyseconds said:

Could have used others.

Another exhibit.

"We've gone 4-6-0 Lee"

"Best get Djuric on Lee"

Have Tomlin and Taylor been on the same pitch together? In what games have we had "no one up top"? Isn't "going 4-6-0" the same thing? Are you talking about people on the terraces or the people on the bench around him? I have no idea what this post is about.

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 08:53, formerly known as ivan said:

Going by what we could see on the tv last light, Bryan was up against officially the best player in the league and didn't give him a sniff all game.

So, how do you get Bryan to perform consistently well throughout a season? 

Left back was certainly an area I thought we needed to strengthen over the summer but their would be no need to if he can play like he has over the last month or so. Problem is that I just get the feeling 10 games into next season we will be asking ourselves why we never got a new left back as Bryan looks out of his depth again!

So what's the answer? New left back anyway? Or put the focus into make my sure Bryan performs week in week out?

JB has looked great ever since LJ switched the formation to 4-4-2.  He was left far to exposed in the 4-2-3-1 but has excelled since the change around 

Archived