IGNORED

Hacked OTIB accounts

Leveller

Has anybody else experienced this?

I've twice recently been advised that my account has been suspended after unsuccessful attempts to log into it in London.

This is odd - although on the latest occasion I was in London, but using my mobile or tablet. However, I would not have got my password wrong.

I'm puzzled what the benefits would be!

Hi Leveller,

We have detected 3 failed log in attempts to your account from London, England, EC4N.

If this wasn't you, someone else may be trying to access your account. These log in attempts were unsuccessful and we have blocked the IP address from further attempts so no action is required. You may however want to change your password for greater security, especially if you use the same password on other websites.

If this was you, you can safely ignore this email and you will be able to sign in again at 08/05/2017 08:07.

I'd be wary that it's not something pretending to help you & then when you change your password etc, that helpful message is actually able to take your details (new password), especially if Tom wasn't even aware that the system did such a thing.

Could just be my untrusting side but it definitely seems more than a little suspect.

• Admin

@Leveller

I just logged out then coming back in I put my wrong password in.

For the first 5 attempts I got the message below about checking CAPS LOCK

After the 5th attempt I got the other message - 15 minutes later, I got up to 10 more attempts (got bored) it never offered me the screen you mention

Think what @Tipps69 said above may be bang on

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

19 hours ago, Leveller said:

Well it does and it tells you the postcode where the attempt originated!

When did you last get an email? Let me cross check it against the mailserver logs.

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 15:41, Tomarse said:

When did you last get an email? Let me cross check it against the mailserver logs.

8 May at 07:52.

I was in London Sunday afternoon (7 May) but mostly south of the river (Southwark) not EC4 - close though. 

On 08/05/2017 at 19:41, Leveller said:

Has anybody else experienced this?

I've twice recently been advised that my account has been suspended after unsuccessful attempts to log into it in London.

This is odd - although on the latest occasion I was in London, but using my mobile or tablet. However, I would not have got my password wrong.

I'm puzzled what the benefits would be!

First of all, I hope you have up to date AV installed on your system?

Have you been using a free open wifi or any other free open network connection while in London or elsewhere?

If so, someone sniffing your network traffic might be able to illicit enough information from your traffic to form an email of this type - not all of your network traffic will be secured (normally only login traffic is secured, banking etc.). If (the big IF, hard to tell with the information you've given) this is an attack on your online identity, they probably don't give a toss about your OTIB userid/password - they are probably after your email password so that they can then harvest other information about you e.g. farcebook, Twitter, password reset emails etc. Basically they might want to impersonate you and make your life hell.

Look at who the email is from and ask the otib admins/mods if it's a legit system email address. If it's not, flag as junk and block.

If you've clicked on any links supplied in this email, and it's a naughty email, you might find some nasty has been dropped onto your system, hence the need for up to date AV.

Bottom line, exercise caution (as you've done by the looks of it).

On 5/13/2017 at 00:41, bcfcfinker said:

First of all, I hope you have up to date AV installed on your system?

Have you been using a free open wifi or any other free open network connection while in London or elsewhere?

If so, someone sniffing your network traffic might be able to illicit enough information from your traffic to form an email of this type - not all of your network traffic will be secured (normally only login traffic is secured, banking etc.). If (the big IF, hard to tell with the information you've given) this is an attack on your online identity, they probably don't give a toss about your OTIB userid/password - they are probably after your email password so that they can then harvest other information about you e.g. farcebook, Twitter, password reset emails etc. Basically they might want to impersonate you and make your life hell.

Look at who the email is from and ask the otib admins/mods if it's a legit system email address. If it's not, flag as junk and block.

If you've clicked on any links supplied in this email, and it's a naughty email, you might find some nasty has been dropped onto your system, hence the need for up to date AV.

Bottom line, exercise caution (as you've done by the looks of it).

From forum@otib.co.uk ....

Pretty sure it's legit. I just need to check the mail logs tomorrow.  It sure how anyone would know your email addresss linked to your profile name etc 

Archived