IGNORED

European U21 championship (Merged)

Red Army 75

3 minutes ago, cynic said:

Typical goal from Tammy - he don't miss from 5 yards ! But the movement was key.

Great play from Hughes.

Laughed when I read on the BBC site "he couldn't miss" completely ignoring, as you say, that his brilliant movement off the ball was what got him there.

So like Goater, who used to score loads of these goals, "easy" apparently, yet strangely always he was the only one moving to react to a cross or a ricochet..

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Laughed when I read on the BBC site "he couldn't miss" completely ignoring, as you say, that his brilliant movement off the ball was what got him there.

So like Goater, who used to score loads of these goals, "easy" apparently, yet strangely always he was the only one moving to react to a cross or a ricochet..

He's a natural striker. You can't coach that sort of movement and anticipation. 

13 minutes ago, Firstyardleftinbed said:

Classic tournament England at the moment, take the lead and then drop far too deep and invite pressure. Need to get hold of the ball.

Yes, agreed.

I think one of our problems historically has certainly been ball retention in tournaments and even occasionally in qualifiers vs technically strong sides.

In the case of tournaments, could it be the temperatures in most summer tournaments? We play quite a high tempo, pressing aggressive game in PL- not lacking in technical ability, but still as we all know it's quite fast and furious. Part of what makes it great!

However...I am assuming it's pretty hot out in Poland being summer. Indeed quick temp check says at least 25C. Doesn't help-I know we are a lot more technical now, I really applaud it. However the temperature thing, combined with temp probably doesn't help.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes, agreed.

I think one of our problems historically has certainly been ball retention in tournaments and even occasionally in qualifiers vs technically strong sides.

In the case of tournaments, could it be the temperatures in most summer tournaments? We play quite a high tempo, pressing aggressive game in PL- not lacking in technical ability, but still as we all know it's quite fast and furious. Part of what makes it great!

However...I am assuming it's pretty hot out in Poland being summer. Indeed quick temp check says at least 25C. Doesn't help- ill fitting in some ways to our game IMO.

It almost seems like a conscious plan with England teams in tournaments to sit back after going ahead. It's unlikely this is the case but always seems to be the way. Like you say, our general style of play is to be more aggressive with and without the ball so doesn't really suit us and players seem to struggle with the slow tempo. Could be a fatigue thing as well but we seemed to be dropping off too early in the game for that in my opinion.

Feel sorry for Tammy having to deal with the service he's getting...

13 minutes ago, Firstyardleftinbed said:

It almost seems like a conscious plan with England teams in tournaments to sit back after going ahead. It's unlikely this is the case but always seems to be the way. Like you say, our general style of play is to be more aggressive with and without the ball so doesn't really suit us and players seem to struggle with the slow tempo. Could be a fatigue thing as well but we seemed to be dropping off too early in the game for that in my opinion.

Feel sorry for Tammy having to deal with the service he's getting...

At least he had 9 months of practice.

Archived