IGNORED

European U21 championship (Merged)

Red Army 75

Once again after a loss on penalties, I see the only suggested remedies are to become better at taking them - whilst clearly true, it overlooks that the most important player in a shootout is your goalkeeper.

The record of English keepers in shootouts is shocking. At senior team level, from the 1990 semi final v West Germany through to the 2012 quarter final against Italy, our keepers have faced 32 tournament shootout penalties that were on target, and only three were saved. Almost every other country who has participated in more than one tournament shootout has a better save rate, and the teams that win shootouts more often than not have a keeper who will save two in a single shootout. Nobody ever seems to mention this.

Also worth noting that teams that win tournaments often have to win a shootout somewhere along the line to get there (not always the case, but many instances over the last 30 years), so 'let's avoid penalties by winning in normal time or extra time' may be a noble aim, but if we're ever going to seriously challenge for a tournament, our penalty record will have to change.

3 hours ago, alexukhc said:

******* sagheads on fb blaming us for Tammy missing and ganging up on him :facepalm:

Yeh but that's just typical of a fan base that has no class...they leap onto anything negative that they can obscurely link to Bristol City...and then they rejoice in it, whilst conveniently forgetting that they have looked up to us in envy for years and years and years....

14 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Their coaching set up is far superior to ours, right from the youngest levels.

In Germany the focus is making good players.

In England the focus is £££

Youth development is an interesting topic. Many European nations have superior coaching models.

In Germany the focus is about creating technically adept flexible players. Its a national philosophy also shared by fans. Quite recently there was a thread on OTIB about Bristol City having a XI of foreign players, there are frequently threads bemoaning a,b,c is not good enough need to get more in. That is not a philosophy that develops players.

England does not have a national playing style or coaching culture. Its is apparent. Bristol City are part of that malaise, when was the last time a City coach went out to our kids school, or their junior clubs and talked to kids, coaches and parents about the clubs philosophy - skills programme? City do not have the latter anyway.

Germany has a network of academies associated with club sides, it also has a network of regional talent centres (development centres) ran by the DFB - 120+ all adhering to the national philosophy, coaching kids, coaching club coaches, spreading out the national philosophy via the grass roots of their game. England have St Georges park which is for the elite, and has no development centres ran by the FA. 0 v 1 20+!!

Last night Germany and Spains U21's teams looked like football technicians on the ball. England didn't. Neither happens by accident.

15 hours ago, North London Red said:

Once again after a loss on penalties, I see the only suggested remedies are to become better at taking them - whilst clearly true, it overlooks that the most important player in a shootout is your goalkeeper.

The record of English keepers in shootouts is shocking. At senior team level, from the 1990 semi final v West Germany through to the 2012 quarter final against Italy, our keepers have faced 32 tournament shootout penalties that were on target, and only three were saved. Almost every other country who has participated in more than one tournament shootout has a better save rate, and the teams that win shootouts more often than not have a keeper who will save two in a single shootout. Nobody ever seems to mention this.

Also worth noting that teams that win tournaments often have to win a shootout somewhere along the line to get there (not always the case, but many instances over the last 30 years), so 'let's avoid penalties by winning in normal time or extra time' may be a noble aim, but if we're ever going to seriously challenge for a tournament, our penalty record will have to change.

Forget the penalties. That was a lesson in how to play. That teams is England future lamping it up to Abraham. The Germans and Spanish would not stand for football being played that was so poor.

25 minutes ago, Trueredsupporte said:

Forget the penalties. That was a lesson in how to play. That teams is England future lamping it up to Abraham. The Germans and Spanish would not stand for football being played that was so poor.

Disagree. I'd be surprised if more than three of yesterday's team become regulars in the England senior team in five years' time. The strongest age group team is the current under 20s, who've just won the under 20 world cup in South Korea, and who also won the Euro under 17 tournament three years ago. It's always difficult to predict these things but I suspect the current under 20s will yield more future internationals than yesterday's team.

Also worth noting that neither side yesterday was fielding its strongest possible 11, due to a number of players being called upon by the respective senior squads (including Alli, Rashford, Dier and a few others in our case, and a number in Germany's case).

Agree the standard of play wasn't great but again, take a look at the under 20s...their second half performance against Italy in the U20 semi final was outstanding.

39 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Disagree. I'd be surprised if more than three of yesterday's team become regulars in the England senior team in five years' time. The strongest age group team is the current under 20s, who've just won the under 20 world cup in South Korea, and who also won the Euro under 17 tournament three years ago. It's always difficult to predict these things but I suspect the current under 20s will yield more future internationals than yesterday's team.

Also worth noting that neither side yesterday was fielding its strongest possible 11, due to a number of players being called upon by the respective senior squads (including Alli, Rashford, Dier and a few others in our case, and a number in Germany's case).

Agree the standard of play wasn't great but again, take a look at the under 20s...their second half performance against Italy in the U20 semi final was outstanding.

This was our bright future some 9 years ago:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2008/nov/13/1

Prophetic words: "The word among Newcastle United's youth and reserve ranks is "Ranger is the danger"."

40 minutes ago, North London Red said:

That teams is Englands future. Its the point of having these teams to get one or two eventually to the full national side. At every level coaches should be getting these teams to play get it down to feet. England were smashing it long. Football from the dark ages. Englands U21 looked uncomfortable with a football!! The weak according to yourself German team did not look weak and did not resort to parks football. The Spanish looked great.

It should not be happening at all to see any of these u18 U20 U21 teams playing like that. been done and failed already.

3 minutes ago, Trueredsupporte said:

That teams is Englands future. Its the point of having these teams to get one or two eventually to the full national side. At every level coaches should be getting these teams to play get it down to feet. England were smashing it long. Football from the dark ages. Englands U21 looked uncomfortable with a football!! The weak according to yourself German team did not look weak and did not resort to parks football. The Spanish looked great.

It should not be happening at all to see any of these u18 U20 U21 teams playing like that. been done and failed already.

Where did I say the German team was weak? Can you point that out please?

And sorry, but if only one or two players from yesterday's team become full future internationals, then I fail to see how you can say yesterday's team is England's future. 

I happen to totally agree that the style of play yesterday left a lot to be desired but a little perspective is required: neither team fielded its strongest possible 11, and the signs aren't all bad at age group level. Please note: I am not saying everything is perfect and that England will win the 2022 World Cup, any more than I supposedly said (but didn't actually say) that yesterday's German team was weak. 

I'd be disappointed if James Ward-Prowse didn't make it to the senior side pretty soon. Not seen anyone since Beckham who can whip a ball like him.

Edit...... Just seen he's already had a call up :facepalm: So i'd like to see him get a more regular call up 

17 hours ago, North London Red said:

Where did I say the German team was weak? Can you point that out please?

And sorry, but if only one or two players from yesterday's team become full future internationals, then I fail to see how you can say yesterday's team is England's future. 

I happen to totally agree that the style of play yesterday left a lot to be desired but a little perspective is required: neither team fielded its strongest possible 11, and the signs aren't all bad at age group level. Please note: I am not saying everything is perfect and that England will win the 2022 World Cup, any more than I supposedly said (but didn't actually say) that yesterday's German team was weak. 

As you said the German team was not at its strongest but did not resort to lamping it back to front. all of these teams are Englands future because its all part of one aim a  successful national side so all of the teams should be attempting to play in a similar manner and they don't. The Germans do every level get it down into feet be good on the ball. England too often smashed it and the thing that has already failed for years and football here should be moving away from.

Archived