IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

2 minutes ago, Globe Trotter said:

Barmy Army also not allowed group tickets at Lords (unlike all other English Test grounds) which along with the price putting people off contributes to a flat / different atmosphere 

I've always wondered about that, as whenever I've been to Lords there's been no obvious Barmy Army presence like you see at the other grounds.

They seem to have no problem with big groups of Aussies sitting together though.

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It's what happens when you charge £180 a ticket. 

Was listening on the radio - they kept mentioning there were huge gaps in the crowd after lunch, clearly loads on corporate and not really there for cricket 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

You get the same in all sports - commentators who talk purely based on what the scoreboard says. The ball was moving around, Aus missed it and edged it all day and England, although not at their best, were unlucky. Not what the headlines will say.

Agree about Lords, England don't like playing there because there are too many polite supporters sipping their chilled white wine.

Is it wrong to be polite at sporting events these days?

13 minutes ago, Globe Trotter said:

Barmy Army also not allowed group tickets at Lords (unlike all other English Test grounds) which along with the price putting people off contributes to a flat / different atmosphere 

Makes a nice change for the supporters who just want to sit and watch the cricket

• Flames 1

8 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I've always wondered about that, as whenever I've been to Lords there's been no obvious Barmy Army presence like you see at the other grounds.

They seem to have no problem with big groups of Aussies sitting together though.

One of the unintended consequences of no Barmy Army / the ‘normal’ crowd means Lords is a much more relaxing experience for touring Australian teams. 

As for the Aussie touring parties these are generally much older groups, part of official tours arranged by Merv Hughes and the like and not perhaps in the ‘lager lout /football fan image’ Lords look to avoid which is why I imagine they are accepted

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Makes a nice change for the supporters who just want to sit and watch the cricket

Every cricket  ground I’ve ever been to you can just sit and watch the cricket, you’ve just got to consider the most appropriate area / stand for your enjoyment.

Some areas - Western Terrace at Headingley, Hollies at Edgbaston - clearly not the best for sitting quietly, same as you wouldn’t go in S82 if you wanted a peaceful afternoon 

• Like 2

• Admin

But not having the Barmy Army there with their support has gone a long way to why the team were so flat and lacklustre 

When the players tried to motivate the crowd they were met with a wall of silence 

Lords is everything that is wrong with the game in this country at the moment 

Isn’t our record in Ashes Tests in London (both at Lord’s and the Oval) something like two wins (2009 and 2013) in 87 years?

I don’t think it’s anything to do with the lack of the Barmy Army; it’s more to do with having their egos dented and a refusal to pick their best team. 

We were so flat today and I can’t see us turning this Test, or the series, around from here. 

1 hour ago, Maltshoveller said:

Is it wrong to be polite at sporting events these days?

1 hour ago, Maltshoveller said:

I sort of agree with you.

I am probably biased, almost certainly so, but I consider Taunton to be a happy balance between the raucous, dare I say almost un cricket like, grounds such as Headingley and Edgbaston (Hollies), and Lords.

I daresay that, as an England player, one would welcome the very vocal support from H and E, and I am sure the West Indies used to absolutely wallow in the support they used to get when they played at The Oval (as do India and Pakistan now), but there is a very fine balance between patriotic support and almost football like tribalism.

• Like 1

On 28/06/2023 at 12:01, And Its Smith said:

Robinson looks pathetic here 

Robison swept through square leg for four.  Must be really wound up as next ball he manages to clock at 79mph.

Ended up with 3 wickets.

Doesn't always look great but usually provides the results. 

Miles better bowler than people give him credit for, particularly the ex Aussies.

1 minute ago, Jimbo123 said:

Ended up with 3 wickets.

Doesn't always look great but usually provides the results. 

Miles better bowler than people give him credit for, particularly the ex Aussies.

I love Robinson and think he’s a world class bowler.  Never said anything to the contrary.  I commented yesterday on how poor he was, how low his speeds were compared to what he can do.  I disagree with your last paragraph. I think most people realise how good he usually is.  

Just now, And Its Smith said:

I love Robinson and think he’s a world class bowler.  Never said anything to the contrary.  I commented yesterday on how poor he was, how low his speeds were compared to what he can do.  I disagree with your last paragraph. I think most people realise how good he usually is.  

He doesn't look great when he's off his rhythm but he's a great bowler.

People in this country realise what a good bowler he is, but not around the world.

Did you see what Matthew Hayden had to say just last week?