IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

Just now, ralphindevon said:

Brilliant innings from Cummins, lead by example.

Lots of questions before Lords but I fear very few answers.

Anyway, what an excellent test, 4 more like that wouldn’t be good for the heart.

Wood certainly has to come in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Super said:

Wood certainly has to come in.

For who though, I agree but Robinson was better than Jimmy. But then Jimmy is Jimmy.
Then if they are going to ask for flat pitches will Robinson be a better bet than Anderson?
I was really looking forward to seeing Jofra get amongst them , Wood has to come in for real pace you'd think .
Will Moheen be fit ? 

I could see 2 or 3 changes.

12 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

Credit to Australia.

Held their nerve led by the captain .

England didn’t.

Great cricket overall .

As if. Very fine margins. Englands spinner had no finger, Stokes bowling on one leg usual - England lost their nerve? Get in the bin

Next up: We declared too early, Bairstow is shit blah blah.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

As if. Very fine margins. Englands spinner had no finger, Stokes bowling on one leg usual - England lost their nerve? Get in the bin

Bairstow clearly ain’t shit, but he could’ve played as a batsman and he’s a quality fielder as well.

He’d kept wicket once, vs Ireland, before going into an Ashes series. The result — four missed chances of varying difficulty, most crucially, not moving for an edge when Khawaja had five on the fourth evening and the missed first-innings stumping. Both of those mistakes cost around 150 runs. 

Those are very fine margins indeed, but the omission of a fit and in-form Foakes meant we were the architects of our own downfall IMO. If he was Australian, he’d have played. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, tin said:

Bairstow clearly ain’t shit, but he could’ve played as a batsman and he’s a quality fielder as well.

He’d kept wicket once, vs Ireland, before going into an Ashes series. The result — four missed chances of varying difficulty, most crucially, not moving for an edge when Khawaja had five on the fourth evening and the missed first-innings stumping. Both of those mistakes cost around 150 runs. 

Those are very fine margins indeed, but the omission of a fit and in-form Foakes meant we were the architects of our own downfall IMO. If he was Australian, he’d have played. 

Speculative and with the benefit of hindsight.

Ben Stokes has enough credits in the bank to be be backed to the hilt.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

6 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Speculative and with the benefit of hindsight.

Ben Stokes has enough credits in the bank to be be backed to the hilt.

I haven’t said that with the benefit of hindsight. My mates and I were saying it at Lord’s during the Ireland Test the other week. 

I agree Stokes and Baz have credit in the bank, but those very fine margins you mention were as obvious as they were avoidable IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

England maybe took too many liberties with the bowling lineup but great test.

Agreed, assuming they knew how little Stokes was going to be able to bowl then there was no way Stokes and Ali should have been in the same side for me. It actually annoyed me how much TMS was seemingly excusing Ali's bowling (the drag downs and full tosses) because of his finger. I said it before the match he used to do it plenty enough anyway, he's not a bowler who could hold down an end and its true, we were just hoping for some miracle balls from him, Root showed how to hold up an end and with Stokes barely bowling it put too much on the three seamers on a largely unhelpful pitch.

For me at Lords Woakes comes in as his record there is fantastic, potentially leave Jimmy out? Allows Jimmy to go back to back at Headingly and Old Trafford and then the Oval if needed. I'd probably also get Wood into the team but the question is do you make him Ali's replacement and Root primary spinner or replace one of Broad or Robinson?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

They didn't lose their nerve but the final hour was a mess tbh.

1 hour ago, Super said:

They didn't lose their nerve but the final hour was a mess tbh.

A mess? Really? Cummins batted very well and England were a bit indecisive in their new ball strategy. Add to that their main spinner was ****** - they have done well. Certainly not a mess - get a grip ffs 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

A mess? Really? Cummins batted very well and England were a bit indecisive in their new ball strategy. Add to that their main spinner was ****** - they have done well. Certainly not a mess - get a grip ffs 

Too much short pitched stuff for sure. Think everyone could see that. Well most anyway. We played well but mistakes cost us the game.

Edited by Super
  • Like 1