IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

2 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

Is it only poor shot selection if you get out? 

KP has made a brilliant point re Ollie Pope's wicket. He's chosen the right shot and not executed. 

Is a forward defensive the wrong shot if the ball seams and takes the edge? 

Ben Duckett has left c.12 balls in his test career. He hits the ball. He's scored 98 today with that method. He scored 180 the other week. 

Does every wicket need to be "******* pathetic" or "braindead" according to some blokes who probably last picked up a cricket bat in the early 90's? 

The game has changed. 

Has the game changed for the better?

Since 2020 only Root Bairstow ans Stokes average over 40 for England

7 minutes ago, Super said:

Was this even looked at? Root prob feel hard done by here!FB_IMG_1688064636272.thumb.jpg.14eb5ed9e7e1224248cb51a204697c46.jpg

Yes they did look at it and I must admit I had no problem with it at the time, that image makes it look a bit more suspect.

We've got to decide once and for all if these are out or not. We see so many where the player clearly has the ball in hand under control but the ball has touched grass through the fingers. Personally I’d vote out but as long as we know what the rule is I don’t care.

8 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Yes they did look at it and I must admit I had no problem with it at the time, that image makes it look a bit more suspect.

We've got to decide once and for all if these are out or not. We see so many where the player clearly has the ball in hand under control but the ball has touched grass through the fingers. Personally I’d vote out but as long as we know what the rule is I don’t care.

Yeah for me as long as the fingers start under the ball and remain around it I'd lean out, as long at its not catch and the ball directly into ground with hand on top

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Pretty much confirmed Lyon is out for this match too, and sounds like it could well be the whole series. 

Thats as significant to the series as when the Aussies lost Glen McGrath in 2005. We need to take advantage of it. As i think you said the other day - we need to win this test to have any chance

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Maybe I'm the weird one, I think everything we are doing is absolutely brilliant. After years of watching Sam Robson, Keaton Jennings, Dom Sibley, Rory Burns, Nick Compton, etc etc play Test Cricket in a traditional manner and still get absolutely thumped I'll take this every day of the week. 

Of course. We all probably agree. The point being made today is bazball doesnt always have to be 100 mph. There are times when you take it down to 50mph - like today when the Aussies are bowling short and their spinner is out. Dont take their bait. Bat it out until they get knackered. Its called strategy

Your wanton belief that 100mph all they way is extremely naive

• Flames 2

37 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

We won in Pakistan for the first time ever.

Maybe I'm the weird one, I think everything we are doing is absolutely brilliant. After years of watching Sam Robson, Keaton Jennings, Dom Sibley, Rory Burns, Nick Compton, etc etc play Test Cricket in a traditional manner and still get absolutely thumped I'll take this every day of the week. 

England have won three series in Pakistan, one of them being one of their most famous ever wins in the dark in Karachi.

It is highly disingenuous to suggest England have been regularly thumped during any of the times that those more stodgy England batsmen have played in. They have been a highly successful team at home for over two decades. Clearly they had been pitiful in the eighteen months before Stokes and Mccullum took over and they’ve had a great year and are a much better team now.

This shouldn’t lead to exaggerating how poor they’d been before, or suddenly there is only ever one way to play the game. After all, if they do go on to lose this series it will be Australia’s first win here since 2001. 

Edited by bearded_red

42 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Judging by your recent and (unfortunately) still ongoing spat with one of your fellow posters (I won’t tag him), you surely won’t be surprised if some on here consider you just a little bit weird ?.

Nevertheless, in so far as it concerns ‘Bazball’ - a horrible term, by the way - I tend to agree with you.

I just wish, though, they would use a bit of common sense at times.

Given Nathan Lyon’s unfortunate injury, Australia are now effectively limited to four bowlers, all fast bowlers - watch Steve Smith now produce a true MotM performance.

Both Starc and Hazlewood are proving expensive and Green is providing almost as many No Balls as England did combined.

Pat Cummins is, as usual, bowling magnificently (and economically), but they will surely tire.

England should just bide their time, reach parity at or around Lunch, and then go for it to achieve a comfortable First Innings lead.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

8 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Of course. We all probably agree. The point being made today is bazball doesnt always have to be 100 mph. There are times when you take it down to 50mph - like today when the Aussies are bowling short and their spinner is out. Dont take their bait. Bat it out until they get knackered. Its called strategy

Your wanton belief that 100mph all they way is extremely naive

With advent of T20 etc, there were many suggesting that 5 day test cricket was heading for a slow death. Boring, too long, no money in it, suddenly it's being talked about again in a positive way, generating the kind of crowds that some of the one day stuff can only dream of. That has to be taken into account too.

• Like 1

All for Bazball, but sometimes you just dont need to force it. The pitch is/was there for runs all day long no matter how you bat. My issue with yesterday is that when Lyon was injured, all they had to do was calm things down for 7 or 8 overs and just let the bowlers tire themselves instead of looking for the shots - it turned out Australia set their traps perfectly to get the wickets, particularly Root’s.

Still think we will at least draw level, maybe even slightly ahead after our innings, but we missed out on a chance to put some real pressure on the Aussies. It’s still looking decent to me, but could of been a lot better had we played a little bit smarter at times.

I certainly don’t want them to change their approach, but yesterday does feel like a missed opportunity at the moment if they just played the conditions at times, fingers crossed it all goes well today.

Edited by Mr Hankey

5 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

All for Bazball, but sometimes you just dont need to force it. The pitch is/was there for runs all day long no matter how you bat. My issue with yesterday is that when Lyon was injured, all they had to do was calm things down for 7 or 8 overs and just let the bowlers tire themselves instead of looking for the shots - it turned out Australia set their traps perfectly to get the wickets, particularly Root’s.

Still think we will at least draw level, maybe even slightly ahead after our innings, but we missed out on a chance to put some real pressure on the Aussies. It’s still looking decent to me, but could of been a lot better had we played a little bit smarter at times.

I certainly don’t want them to change their approach, but yesterday does feel like a missed opportunity at the moment if they just played the conditions at times, fingers crossed it all goes well today.

Possibly. I think this approach is as new to the proponents as everybody else so it's still in it's infancy so I think some of those subtleties may develop in time.

Judging by Stokes performance at the end of the day something had changed slightly, even it was the old fashioned, hitter and anchorman approach.

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Possibly. I think this approach is as new to the proponents as everybody else so it's still in it's infancy so I think some of those subtleties may develop in time.

Judging by Stokes performance at the end of the day something had changed slightly, even it was the old fashioned, hitter and anchorman approach.

Yeh i think you are right there, they will certainly be discussing how to make things better or when they need to change thier approach, i think some people think that Stokes and Baz are just saying “be aggressive, whack anything you can!” but of course they will be talking & looking at things to make it better.

Was surprised by Stokes, the one player that i didn’t expect to be the anchor! He did very well to keep things ticking over with Brook.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Stokes usually starts his innings with relative calm, though. He needs to do the same today IMO, because we all know what he can do when his eye’s in.

He could massively cash in today if he’s still there at lunch, but I suspect they will have a dash early on today as the ball is old and there’s 19 overs until the new ball’s due.

At the time I thought the ball hit the ground, I also thought the 3rd Ump' would give it out.
It could be because it's the Ashes that I thought it was grounded, it could be that it was a confirmed cheat , but this does look suspect .

image.png.c7548d6b311cf8dc28e90c8a825d9e85.png