IGNORED

Engvall

GrahamC

Being reported in the Swedish media this morning that despite what was said about him going to Tenerife with us he is now staying in Sweden until the end of their season (March).

I guess the signing of Diedhiou may have something to do with this, but you really get the impression he isn't ever coming back.

No surprises here. Quite clearly not in LJ's plans and frankly LJ hasn't got time to give him minutes on the pitch to find out if he might be decent or not, as his job is on the line we need to hit the ground running at the start of the season.

Remind me how much we paid for him again, Graham? Makes Styvar look like value for money, as at least he played some games.

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

No surprises here. Quite clearly not in LJ's plans and frankly LJ hasn't got time to give him minutes on the pitch to find out if he might be decent or not, as his job is on the line we need to hit the ground running at the start of the season.

Remind me how much we paid for him again, Graham? Makes Styvar look like value for money, as at least he played some games.

Transfermarkt says it was £1.3m, LJ then said on Radio Bristol (I bet he regrets this now!) that it was £2m, but I suspect that this final figure was based on certain targets being reached (number of appearances probably), which seeing as his league career with us is less than an hour with just 2 sub appearances, I think we can safely say that has not been reached..

Lets hope the new record signing gets more game time, can only say why bring Engvall here if you aint going to give him a chance, good enough for Sweden but not us :dunno: 

Engvall could have saved us 5million pounds ...if he had been given a chance, seems like we will never know.

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Transfermarkt says it was £1.3m, LJ then said on Radio Bristol (I bet he regrets this now!) that it was £2m, but I suspect that this final figure was based on certain targets being reached (number of appearances probably), which seeing as his league career with us is less than an hour with just 2 sub appearances, I think we can safely say that has not been reached..

And more importantly we won't see much of that back. I'm all up for taking a gamble and some you win and some you lose but when we are talking about £millions it gets an expensive lesson doesn't it. Something went very wrong with the scouting and recruitment there, the deal should never have happened if the player was so far off what we needed or expected.

5 minutes ago, RedM said:

And more importantly we won't see much of that back. I'm all up for taking a gamble and some you win and some you lose but when we are talking about £millions it gets an expensive lesson doesn't it. Something went very wrong with the scouting and recruitment there, the deal should never have happened if the player was so far off what we needed or expected.

I reckon we will easily get back what we paid for him and if we include à sell on clause this could become a nice little earner .

He is knocking them in Sweden , he's an international and young .

The price we paid is peanuts in today's mad market .

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

I reckon we will easily get back what we paid for him and if we include à sell on clause this could become a nice little earner .

He is knocking them in Sweden , he's an international and young .

The price we paid is peanuts in today's mad market .

Not so sure Major. If we sell Engvall now LJ is sending out the clear message that he doesn't rate him highly enough to give him a real chance in the Championship.

If he's only been assessed as L1 level here it's bound to affect the price we can expect, especially if his only suitors are back in Sweden.

Looks like we'll be cutting our losses, but yes, always the chance a good sell on clause could get us back our original outlay eventually.

28 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

One day, I'll be able to tell my grandkids that I actually saw Engvall play.

I guess sometimes gambles don't pay off. 

Oh the other hand we acquired an asset in Taylor for probably about 20% of his real market value. 

Win some, lose some. Doubt SL will lose much sleep over a million here or there in this market. Would still like to see him given a chance over here but I guess time is a luxury LJ won't have this year.

Fans will be on his back from minute one if results are negative. 

He's still only 21. At that age we were sending Bobby Reid out on loan to Plymouth. We have two older international strikers ahead of him at the moment, plus Matty Taylor, it makes sense to send him out on loan if he only going to be a bit part player here, unless people want us to play 4 up front?

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Being reported in the Swedish media this morning that despite what was said about him going to Tenerife with us he is now staying in Sweden until the end of their season (March).

I guess the signing of Diedhiou may have something to do with this, but you really get the impression he isn't ever coming back.

Is there a link.?

50 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Lets hope the new record signing gets more game time, can only say why bring Engvall here if you aint going to give him a chance, good enough for Sweden but not us :dunno: 

Engvall could have saved us 5million pounds ...if he had been given a chance, seems like we will never know.

Yeah, there's a danger that the bloke we've just spent £5m on won't see much action...

So basically he is coming back to Bristol for the Tenerife trip, as planned and people are spouting off again based on nothing..?!

IF he was to leave, even on a free, you win some, you lose some. We've more than made up the deficit on Kodjia. 

Would people rather we hadn't snapped up the chance to sign a 21 year old Swedish international for relative peanuts..?! 

23 minutes ago, Big C said:

He's still only 21. At that age we were sending Bobby Reid out on loan to Plymouth. We have two older international strikers ahead of him at the moment, plus Matty Taylor, it makes sense to send him out on loan if he only going to be a bit part player here, unless people want us to play 4 up front?

I would love that, but only if we could still have a goalie, a flat back four, two centre mid and wingers. 

12 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Would people rather we hadn't snapped up the chance to sign a 21 year old Swedish international for relative peanuts..?! 

Yes, I'd rather we hadn't spent £2m on a player who's played half a game for us. That is a waste of money in anyone's book.

His appearances for the Swedish national team are a bit of an anomaly as he only got the call-up as most of the first team were unavailable. In any case, Sweden are currently ranked 34th in the world so I assume you'd be just as enthusiastic if we "snapped up" any international player from Iran, Cameroon or Hungary as well seeing as though they are all ranked above Sweden?

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, I'd rather we hadn't spent £2m on a player who's played half a game for us. That is a waste of money in anyone's book.

His appearances for the Swedish national team are a bit of an anomaly as he only got the call-up as most of the first team were unavailable. In any case, Sweden are currently ranked 34th in the world so I assume you'd be just as enthusiastic if we "snapped up" any international player from Iran, Cameroon or Hungary as well seeing as though they are all ranked above Sweden?

He's still a young lad. I hope he stays with us, maybe out on loan for another season. 

Far too early to write him off yet. 

I think we are likely to be in for another striker, I think Wilbs will depart and we will look to bring in a fourth to compliment Diedhiou, Taylor and Djuric. Looking at those three we need someone in the mould of Dicko, Baldock, Campbell, Vaughan etc. May not be a superstar but someone who is capable of finding the net in the Championship. With Tammy leaving we can't simply pray that Diedhiou is going to take to the Championship in the same way Kodjia did

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

You have to blame LJ for signing him in the first place,he was'nt cheap too if i remember.

Around 2 million was it?

The kids in form, match fit and banging the goals in - why he would be allowed to go somewhere else is beyond me. Unless of course he's made the decision that he doesn't want to come back, and to be honest, I wouldn't blame him if that was the case considering his lack of appearances for us.

I think if he does go, he could be one that will come back and bite us in the ass in some way in the future - whether that be signing for a team in the same league, or a big transfer fee!!!

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Shocking waste of time and money on Johnson's part if true. Never given a chance.

7 minutes ago, FramptonRed said:

You have to blame LJ for signing him in the first place,he was'nt cheap too if i remember.

Around 2 million was it?

Do you know for a fact it was Johnson's doing? If Engvall was 'his man' from the off I'd say he'd have played a lot more football.

I gathered that as head coach rather than manager, there was plenty to do with recruitment that is outside of his remit. 

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Do you know for a fact it was Johnson's doing? If Engvall was 'his man' from the off I'd say he'd have played a lot more football.

I gathered that as head coach rather than manager, there was plenty to do with recruitment that is outside of his remit. 

LJ has the final say on all signings.

7 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

LJ has the final say on all signings.

Fair enough. I was genuinely curious as I didn't recall ever seeing anywhere where the boundaries were between roles. 

Either way, win some lose some. We still don't know what the deal is with GE but I guess we'll know more come the start of the season. 

Archived