IGNORED

Engvall

GrahamC

3 hours ago, INCRED said:

I seen Engval twice last season and have to say he impressed me with his touch, work rate and pace so can't for the life of me understand why he didn't get much of a look in. Maybe he struggled to settle in and the club needed to try and support him and by loaning him back to his home country they have given him a bit of time away to prepare him to return for the new season. I think he has all the attributes to be a top striker providing he can setttle in 

As did I, but we don't get to see how he does in training, etc.

Like you I liked what I saw in that limited game time though

35 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

As did I, but we don't get to see how he does in training, etc.

Like you I liked what I saw in that limited game time though

I suppose that's the problem for a large majority of us, we only see a fraction of the whole situation unlike the management team who get a complete picture of every players performance and attitude

3 hours ago, INCRED said:

I seen Engval twice last season and have to say he impressed me with his touch, work rate and pace so can't for the life of me understand why he didn't get much of a look in. Maybe he struggled to settle in and the club needed to try and support him and by loaning him back to his home country they have given him a bit of time away to prepare him to return for the new season. I think he has all the attributes to be a top striker providing he can setttle in 

Aha, someone who's commenting on Engvall's playing time.what do the lucky few of us who've seen him think of his actual performances?

I saw him start once (Hull - 76 mins and come on as sub twice (Reading away 14 mins and Brentford home 26 minutes).  Not a big sample I'll grant you, but in particular the Hull game he showed more than enough for me to think he wasn't out of his depth.  His speed over a few yards and link up with Wilbs was quite good in a game of few chances for us against a well-marshalled defence.  He nipped away a few times showing speed of thought.  The Reading game I don't recall much, mainly because I was watching out for Joe, because a load of idiots were congregated around our wheelchair area.  Brentford, we were chasing the game and he ran around like a man possessed trying to spark something, to no avail, and not very impressively either.

Part of the problem in our mid-season wobble was that we played 1 up top, and when chasing games, who do you go-to? Wilbs or Gustav.  He regularly made the match day 18.  If he was shit, why would LJ have even bothered putting him in the 18.

I'm not sure where the homesickness rumours came from.  I spoke to him at Xmas along with several others and we had a pretty lengthy chat, about his move across from Sweden, the challenge of getting minutes, family (thought it was a bit personal to ask about his girlfriend), his footballing style etc.  He didn't strike me as homesick, he seemed happy, liked Bristol.  He milled around Charlton Farm with Hordur, Pato and a couple of others.  He is certainly confident in his own ability from what he said.

Of course all of this might've been a cover-up in front of the public.

Financially, £1.3m (plus add-ons) is a big gamble, but typically Scandinavians settle well in the U.K., his pedigree was good for a youngster (and in the Swedish youth groups), playing a lot of games in his homeland for his age.

Ultimately, whether he is a success here will depend on whether he gets a chance.  Given a chance, only then will we get to see whether the promise of Hull was a one-off or not.

He's unlikely to go for zilch, so it's not going to be a total write-off should it not work out.

Wouldn't mind seeing him playing off of Diedhiou, clever runs, little passes into pockets.  Maybe I'm just fantasising about his ability, but I think he'll be more of an asset than Taylor given the same opportunity.

My view only.

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Like Basso, McAllister, Fontaine, McCombe, Elliott, Sproule, McIndoe, Adebola, Byfield, Maynard, Carle, Noble, Gerken, Hartley, Showunmi, Jevons, Weale or Henderson you mean?

No, he wasn't.

Sorry but for the majority of those players you wouldn't need a scout most were either seasoned pros or well known in their particular leagues, except Basso and Henderson.

Sproule, Byfield, Carle, Hartley, Showummni were internationals, McIndoe and Noble B internationals and even Weale a C international.

11 hours ago, WECANDO said:

Well I for one rate the guy. He has pace and good movement. Thought he did well against Hull last season. Lets get him back and involved as soon as the rest do. He should be fitter than most. Get him playing in the friendlies against the iikes of Bath, Cheltenham etc and let him get some goals and boost his confidence. But let him start games. Johnson needs to put his arm round his shoulder (well his waist) and tell him he can succeed.

Has pace ?????

Not the Engvall  I've seen

Decent touch , strongish,  

but pace - not what I've seen

The strange thing, he was on the bench when we where in the bad run. We where one goal down most of the time in the second half. He is fw, did not play a minute. Have not seen him playing in Sweden either. The swedish press says he look sometimes like a real top player, sometimes he is anonymus. He earns more than good money in City, should think 5 Times' more than in IFK Göteborg. Swedish player go abroad, Germany, Holland, Greece and so on. The money is complete different than in Sweden. Gustav is young but its ? If he will ever play in City.

Spending 1.3m on GE was not overly daft.

Spending 1.3m on GE and not giving him either a go in the 1st team pre-season games, or a 6 month loan to at least an L1 side most definitely is.

Potential has to be realised - what chance has he had to show his ability in 116 minutes of game time?

We WOULD be dropping a bollock if the lad was not at least given a real chance to shine in the English League.

Play him or loan him to a top half L1 team who will play him regularly - then decide.

At least then, we can actually decide on GE's qualities the right way - by seeing the lad play.

It's the fair and right thing to do - for player and club.

I hope he gets a chance.

17 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Agree and disagree.

If he was handing out wages of 20k+ per week or whatever to all the players I would be very concerned.

We saw big (and long) contracts handed out before, with diasterous consequences, and last time up here we gave big wages to crap players.

With transfer fees I do agree though. Many on here do not seem to realise the cost of players in todays market, or understand that developing a player isn't something that happens overnight.

Engvall was a bit of a gamble, but it is still too soon to say if it had paid off or not. Right now it doesn't look like it, but there is not a single person on here (to my knowledge) who has watched Engvall enough to accurately guage if he will make it here.

Absolutely. High wages on long contracts put the club in danger if, god forbid, anything should happen to SL. That's where, in theory, FFP or whatever it's called is good for clubs. 

Whereas if SL is happy to take £2million punts on young, foreign or lower league players, on lower wages than established Championship players, then great! 

3 hours ago, Tangle Foot said:

This strikes me as yet another anti-LJ post.

Name one manager or club that have not made signings that have failed to deliver.

COYR.

It's not so much Engvall has failed to deliver, more that LJ would have given the final go ahead for City to sign him - for not insignificant money - and has then never given him the opportunities to deliver.

27 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It's not so much Engvall has failed to deliver, more that LJ would have given the final go ahead for City to sign him - for not insignificant money - and has then never given him the opportunities to deliver.

Clearly more to the situation that meets the eye. 

Either he's 50% more awful than anyone else in training, or LJ never wanted him IMO. 

26 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Clearly more to the situation that meets the eye. 

Either he's 50% more awful than anyone else in training, or LJ never wanted him IMO. 

In which case his final say should have been 'NO'.

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

In which case his final say should have been 'NO'.

Come on, I think we all know that's not the way Bristol City is run....

It could all be perfectly innocent, but I can't see him saying 'Uncle Steve, I really want this player, can I please have £2m?' and then not playing him, unless he's absolutely garbage. 

That doesn't seem the case - even if he is playing in Sweden - which makes me think there's more to the story than we know. My guess would be he was brought in above LJs head but I could be miles off. 

Just now, BRISTOL86 said:

Come on, I think we all know that's not the way Bristol City is run....

It could all be perfectly innocent, but I can't see him saying 'Uncle Steve, I really want this player, can I please have £2m?' and then not playing him, unless he's absolutely garbage. 

That doesn't seem the case - even if he is playing in Sweden - which makes me think there's more to the story than we know. My guess would be he was brought in above LJs head but I could be miles off. 

On the contrary LJ has said that's exactly the way transfers at Bristol City are run.

He has the final say.

12 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

On the contrary LJ has said that's exactly the way transfers at Bristol City are run.

He has the final say.

I'm sure no one has ever said anything they don't mean.

If Engvall was LJs man from the off then his lack of selection has been beyond baffling. Would be amazed to learn he was ever his target. 

59 minutes ago, john from high littleton said:

Can't understand why LJ favoured the free scoring Tammy over Engval. Why oh why, did he persevere with the Chelsea loanee? I guess we'll never know! 

Its clearly not a case of favouring tammy over engvall, at various times over the season we had djuric taylor and wilbraham getting game time either with tammy or replacing him when he was injured, but engvall wasnt in that mix up at all. For a million pound plus transfer to not even get a whif of a chance is rediculous at this club, and there should be some explanation of what went on, and who was responsible for sanctioning the deal.

3 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Its clearly not a case of favouring tammy over engvall, at various times over the season we had djuric taylor and wilbraham getting game time either with tammy or replacing him when he was injured, but engvall wasnt in that mix up at all. For a million pound plus transfer to not even get a whif of a chance is rediculous at this club, and there should be some explanation of what went on, and who was responsible for sanctioning the deal.

Perhaps it was Tim S. That would explain a lot!

25 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Perhaps Wilbraham & Djuric are considered different types of players to Tammy. But Engval was too similar? Perhaps if Tammy had been rubbish, Engval would of got much more game time. Not sure exactly how much Engval cost, but you don't get much for 2 million these days. Perhaps some on here need to get they're heads around that. Let's not forget we made a mint on Kodja, so perhaps it's not all bad eh? 

8 minutes ago, john from high littleton said:

. Not sure exactly how much Engval cost, but you don't get much for 2 million these days. Perhaps some on here need to get they're heads around that.  

This is starting to bore me, tell that to Barnsley, Preston or Brentford, as they can..

3 hours ago, john from high littleton said:

Or Newcastle? 

Newcastle have 50000 home attendances and parachute payments so can afford a few million.not many in this league can afford 3 or 4 players with 7 figure transfer fees as punts for the future with no guarantee they will work out, especially if they are given no oe very little chance to show what they can do.

Archived